Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! Retiring Accessories ~ I called SU! I'm so Confused!

I called Stampin Up! I'm devastated! Literally! The 12x12 c/s on the retiring list will not be returning! They will only offer 8.5x11 in those colors now! WHAT?! I'm looking through the retiring packs and getting my list together. Right now I know chocolate chip and basic gray (even though I just order a pack of that) will be on my list. Those 2 are like my "go to" for my scrapbooking! I'm just glad they are keeping Crumb cake in 12x12.....I think you would have had to call the ambulance if they did that. I have that color in that size stocked up.

He said the markers will be returning but not individually. They will be offered in family color packs only. The reconfigured ink pads will be slightly different from the ones now as far as shade goes!!!!! WHAT? So, the markers and refills will be reconfigured with the pads. I'm not able to get all new stamp pads so I hope that when I do need refills, when I add the "new configured" color to the stamp pad I have it won't be a funky result.
I hate when SU! does this! It's like they are saying..."we're not getting enough money on stamp pads, so let's reconfigure them so our faithfuls will order all new!"

Breathe.....count 1, 2, 3,......Sorry, I'm just absolutely mad about the 12x12 c/s retiring. After my "stock up" c/s is gone. There is nothing out there that is "up to par" for my scrapbooking bases. UGH!

The other things in the retiring list, I expected. The 12x12 c/s and reconfigured shades in pads, markers and refills is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think everyone has at least a few items on the list that will be missed a lot. Thing is, what business can continue to offer items when they have low sales for them? Things like individual markers just aren't selling well in comparison to the family sets. I can appreciate that.

Fortunately, it's only a handful of colors that have been adjusted and only slightly at that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH don't get me wrong. I know that the 12x12 c/s is not their biggest seller because there are a lot more card makers than scrapbookers that use SU! (I make many cards too, but, my scrapbooking is very important to me.)
I just don't know where I will now go for my scrapbook base c/s now. I will of course still use the SU! crumb cake 12x12, that's my biggest stock up 12x12 color. Basic gray and chocolate chip though are going to be greatly missed by me. Where else has c/s this shade and this quality in this size? I'm gonna have to do some research.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Melina, I don't see Chocolate Chip AND Basic Grey 12X12 on the retiring list? I think you're okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the 12x12 for boxes and bags...I am not as concerned about cards because I always have enough various sizes to keep me happy with scraps alone!! haha! It's the doing boxes and bags that is going to hurt. I like to be able to buy it by the pack instead of by the sheet at Joanns. Guess I will have to learn to live with it :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Oops. Found it. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I was looking forward to investing in SU 12x12 CS for my SB needs. I like the color coordination between markers, inks and embellishments. Guess I'll be digging through my Bazzill stash to try and get close matches. It should work out since Bazzill does have a huge selection of colors. I'm still sad to see SU retire that much 12x12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll admit the list is totally confusing this time... but it sounds like there is still some confusion out there. Hopefully this will clarify some things...

1. 12x12 textured cardstock is being retired :(
2. 12x12 smooth cardstock is being "reconfigured" so that most of the colors will only be available in family bundles. So you can still get your 12x12 cardstock when the new catalog comes out.
3. The ink colors will still be around, they are just reconfiguring the pads to use a new firm foam pad which will make it much nicer for stamping solid images. They are reformulating 3 of the colors... though not changing the colors. Your current ink pads will still match and if you get new reinkers later, you should be able to use them on your old ink pads (and I believe vice versa aside from those 5 colors - Basic Black, Perfect Plum, Tempting Turquoise, Marina Mist, and Basic Grey)
4. Yep, markers will be only sold in family packs starting in the new catalog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

WOW! Glad I stocked up when I quit as a demo. Guess now would be a good time to sell my 12x12 packs I have been hoarding...especially the textured! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Arlene made this list of 12 x 12 single packs that are staying. THe rest will be in color family packs. I think I can live with that. I might stock up on a couple other colors, but this is a pretty good list.

Brights - 5 colors:
* Daffodil Delight
* Pumpkin Pie
* Rich Razzleberry
* Real Red
* Old Olive

Subtles - 3 colors:
* Pretty in Pink
* Certainly Celery
* Marina Mist

Regals - 2 colors:
* Cherry Cobbler
* Night of Navy

Neutrals - 5 colors:
* Early Expresso
* Crumb Cake
* Very Vanilla
* Black
* Whisper White
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

ooh, great list Kim! I hadn't seen Arlene's post, so thanks for sharing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Something else is up besides reconfiguration of ink pads - some - not all - of the markers are being retired.

Also, the reinkers are CRAFT ink while the ink pads are CLASSIC ink.

I am disappointed with their decision to sell the markers in color family sets. Why would I want to purchase markers I don't need to replace?

I will miss their packages of individual 12 x 12 smooth cardstock.

Since SU retired 29 colors, I've only purchased one marker (the rest of the colors I wanted are retired) and not one single stamp pad or reinker. I've chosen to use a different brand. Sadly, my SU ink pads are mostly unused since SU gave less than 6 weeks notice and the reinkers were no longer available by the time I had the money to spend on reinkers (don't have one single credit card and those property taxes are much more important!). I now consider the investment in those 48 ink pads a huge waste of money.

Oh, and I don't own one "In Color" inkpad or reinker and I've only ever purchased one color of cardstock (you guessed it - Concord Crush since SU retired all the pinks and purples). I do own a set of 2010 "In Color" markers - but only because they were a gift from my demonstrator!

Thankfully, almost every retired SU color is available in both CS sizes at the scrapbook store 140 miles away!. I guess SU is just encouraging me to support local businesses.

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 04-25-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Nothing is "up" with the markers and ink refils. They retired the lowest selling colors of single markers, that's all. Does it stink, yeah....but it's the business decision they made. Maybe they will find out it doesn't work well and bring them back next year, who knows! They also have very low sales of craft ink so they are retiring that as well. Same for the papers they are retiring. They all have very low sales.

I'm excited about the new pads as I think they will be better. I've heard from a few demos who got to test them out and really loved them!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am surprised about the textured cardstock retiring. I prefer it over smooth cardstock when scrapbooking. I'm not surprised about the craft ink and all its reinkers retiring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #15  

I'm sad about the textured but from what I've gathered it just isn't selling which is sad, it can take a card from ok to wow! Really when I think of all the cards/projects I look at on a daily baisis I rarely see textured CS. Maybe the requests will be good enough and we will get it back next year...here's hoping:-) Or maybe at least we will get 8.5x11...won't be the same but at least something....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I find that this is really strange. Just today, I decided against buying paper packs from Creative Memories because I didn't like the idea of having to buy eight different colours when I only liked a few. Now SU is doing the same thing--if you want anything that isn't on that on the single packs list you have to buy colours when you only like a few of them. At least they haven't screwed around with Cherry Cobbler. I think that making you buy families of markers instead of individual ones will probably hurt SU eventually. I have maybe half of the current markers, and I won't be buying any more because I don't want to have repeats.

I have been weaning myself off SU because I have so much stuff. I guess I chose a good time to give it up.

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you to all the demos that posted here. You've answered a lot of my questions. I believe I will go ahead and order the 12x12 c/s I use quite often in my scrapbooking like, basic gray, chocolate chip, sahara sand, & more mustard (Fall pages). Can you tell I'm a very "Earthy colored" scrapbooker? *giggle* Thanks for letting me know about the 12x12 family packs. That will be great for the colors I don't use as often.

As far as the 5 ink pads that are changing color slightly...I'll probably wind up ordering them in the long run....I usually do. (wouldn't you know that my basic black ink pad is dry and have a new refill coming from an order I just placed?! In that order I got quite a few 12x12 packs I was short on too.) But, I won't be ordering all new ink pads just to get the new and improved pad. I'm sure it is wonderful....but who can afford that?!! I've noticed over the years when stamping a solid image that SU! pads are "hit or miss" sometimes. It is great that they are addressing that. Thanks for clearing that up for me

Kim Wilson, thank you for posting the individual packs of 12x12 c/s that will still be available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've seen some posts (not in this thread) saying "what's all the fuss about? you'll get lots of new stuff to replace this retiring stuff!...chill!" Well, this is not exactly so, the new catalog will be some 40 pages smaller right? Not saying I don't understand, I know how the economy is. So, I know SU! is doing what they think is best.
And yes, if you're not a scrapbooker...the retiring accessories list is not so hard to "take in". I just feel sorry for all the demos out there that have a big scrapbook customer base. They have a lot of "splain'in" to do to their precious customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #19  

The minis are going to be bigger though...so it pretty much evens out in the end. Plus, they are putting most seasonal stamps in the minis so that frees up even more catalog space.

They really don't have to explain...or they have already meaning they have discontinued items which sales are low. That's pretty much it! Again, I'm sad about some stuff too but they can't keep stuff in stock that doesn't move! SU is debt free and can't stay that way if they have too much stock! Or we couldn't get new things because they couldn't afford them:-)

I did read something earlier where someone mentioned that the new type of stamp pad we are getting works better with clear stamps which has been a problem in the past! I don't know anything for sure of course but that would be great if they did work better! I know there are a lot of people who love SU inks but can't use them for their clear stamps! Trying to find a silver lining:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

As a demonstrator I find it always bittersweet when the retiring lists come out. But Stampin' Up! has never let me down yet and I am excited for the new catalog to debut -- I'm sure it will be packed with lots of great new product to make up for what is retiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I was said that the spinner hands are on the list. Guess I won't be getting another stamp set to use with them, huh? Unless they get a die- but I already have one from else where and the cardstock spinners don't spin as nicely.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am only missing the Rich Razzleberry marker and I didn't see it on the list. I'm still a little confused about all this. Will any single marker be available in the new catalog or should I order it now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4ScrapsView Post
I am only missing the Rich Razzleberry marker and I didn't see it on the list. I'm still a little confused about all this. Will any single marker be available in the new catalog or should I order it now?
SOME popular colors will be available individually. If razzleberry isn't on the list then it will be there. I can't find my list at the moment to check for you...where did it go????

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it just the ink pad itself that is being reconfigured, or is it the whole case? I'd love for SU to have a lift off top, but I'm not holding my breath. I always think it's fun to see all the stuff retiring, and then get to see all the new stuff. My attention span is really short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
Is it just the ink pad itself that is being reconfigured, or is it the whole case? I'd love for SU to have a lift off top, but I'm not holding my breath. I always think it's fun to see all the stuff retiring, and then get to see all the new stuff. My attention span is really short.
I think it's been addressed in this thread already....

The PAD ONLY is changing. The case will be the same:-) Personally I love the flip top...then the pad stays juicy and I don't have to match up the pad to the ink when I have like 10 of them out on my desk!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm a little sad that the craft pads and reinkers are being discontinued, as I do enjoy heat embossing in color. I was a demo for 4 years, but now that I'm not a demo any longer, I will just have to buy a competitor's product that is close in color. Anyone have any suggestions for another brand of (pigment?) ink that you like for heat embossing with clear embossing powder?

I understand that the economy is bad and people are having to cut back on discretionary spending, but I am very disappointed in the marker decision. What does one do when a single marker runs out of ink, or gets a fuzzy tip, or as in one of my more unfortunate experiences, you jam the cap on carelessly and split the brush tip? I don't see buying a color family of markers in order to get a replacement for a single marker.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
I'm a little sad that the craft pads and reinkers are being discontinued, as I do enjoy heat embossing in color. I was a demo for 4 years, but now that I'm not a demo any longer, I will just have to buy a competitor's product that is close in color. Anyone have any suggestions for another brand of (pigment?) ink that you like for heat embossing with clear embossing powder?

I understand that the economy is bad and people are having to cut back on discretionary spending, but I am very disappointed in the marker decision. What does one do when a single marker runs out of ink, or gets a fuzzy tip, or as in one of my more unfortunate experiences, you jam the cap on carelessly and split the brush tip? I don't see buying a color family of markers in order to get a replacement for a single marker.
I agree Barbara. The marker issue leaves me scratching my head. Guess I'll be stocking up on the Fantastix things to use with reinkers. It's not the best solution, but it beats buying a whole new group of markers just to replace one of them! SU should just stock "unfilled" markers that you could fill yourself.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

You don't get quite as vibrant a color as with craft ink, but you can ink your stamp up with Versamark then go right into your class ink pad to pick up the color then emboss with clear ep. Here's an example of what that looks like in Early Espresso onto Cherry Cobbler cs Inchie for Queen Charlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for that Gail! Great effect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I'm sad that the new catalog will be smaller, because I look forward to it every year, I am trying to think of it this way--with bigger minis to compensate, that means more excitement spread throughout the year Plus there are times when I have hesitated to buy a seasonal stamp from the regular catalog because I'm afraid I will end up liking something in the upcoming mini better. Sounds like the new setup will take care of that issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
SOME popular colors will be available individually. If razzleberry isn't on the list then it will be there. I can't find my list at the moment to check for you...where did it go????

Thanks for your help Minders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I'm going to miss the textured CS. I haven't bought a lot of it because of how it was packaged. I purchase only what I'll use, and if there are more colors that I won't use in a pack than what I will, I do without. I ordered 2 subtles and 2 of the current in-colors in textured because I need them for thank you cards for my daughter's wedding next year. I was planning on ordering them over the next few months at friend's workshops. Well that idea went out the window. I also had to order the flowers daisies 2 die earlier than planned as well.

If they sold Textured CS in 81/2 x 11, I'd be buying it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

[/QUOTE]If they sold Textured CS in 81/2 x 11, I'd be buying it all the time.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!! I love textured CS and 8 1/2 x 11 would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I wish SU would realize when they tick off their devoted customers, someone else benefits! The stamp pads...I have them all and will never replace them....same with the markers....I am not a dealer...but "spent" alot of money with this company!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

I've always had good results using Colorbox pigment inks with clear embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

One thing I wish SU would do is offer an EMPTY marker case! I have lots of non-SU markers that would fit in a second case. I would pay a premium price for an empty marker case!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

If they sold Textured CS in 81/2 x 11, I'd be buying it all the time.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!! I love textured CS and 8 1/2 x 11 would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted this and would use it all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
One thing I wish SU would do is offer an EMPTY marker case! I have lots of non-SU markers that would fit in a second case. I would pay a premium price for an empty marker case!

I was in the same boat and shopped around online. I was able to find the same marker case, but empty for around $25.

But.... instead of buying just an empty case, I bought a set of Zig markers at JoAnns with a 50% off coupon that brought it down to $50. Zig markers come in the exact same case as SU markers. So I figure $25 for the case and $25 for the makers. I kept the case and put the Zig markers in a cute basket for my daughter to use. My 8 year old girl that loves to stamp with me and color lots of detail now has some pretty amazing markers to use and she's out of my SU and Copics. Double win! Or is that a tripple win?

ETA: I found the link to the empty marker case: http://www.markersupply.com/emzigmesymac.html The marked down price is actually $30
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Money Saver

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristiKView Post
I wish SU would realize when they tick off their devoted customers, someone else benefits! The stamp pads...I have them all and will never replace them....same with the markers....I am not a dealer...but "spent" alot of money with this company!
While I understand the frustration that you and others have with having some of your favorite items retired, SU consistently states that their reasons for retiring items is based on low sales. Like any other company, they are in the business to make a profit and if something simply isn't selling as well as it should, then it needs to be discontinued in order to make room for something new that hopefully will sell better.

Thus many colors of 12 x 12 card stock simply does not have the level of sales needed to keep them in the catalog. Likewise, sales of individual markers is low, with signifcantly more sold in sets.

As for the stamp pads, there is no need to replace them all. Heck, there is no reason to replace any of them that are still in good shape. I'm a demonstrator I do not intend to replace my pads. I'll be buying some in the new upcoming InColors sars that I can show my customers what the new pads look like and how they work-this is similar to what I did when the punches were all redesigned-I had lots of the whale-tale style punches and I continue to use them in my workshops, classes, etc, but then I bring along one of the redesigned punches and explain that the style have been updated. I have never had any problems or issues with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Harley Queen - thanks for the link! I didn't know it was available anywhere else!
Reply With Quote Likes