Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #41  
Vintage Vixen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Just for fun!

1. What current trend do you love?
2. What current trend are you sitting out?
3. What trends do you see coming up next?
I don't really pay too much attention to trends, but...

1. I love the Tim Holtz look.

2. I'm not buying Copics and I have only 2 sets of Nestabilities. In terms of stamps, I'm not into cutesy or cartoonish figures so that eliminates a lot of stamps for me. I'm also not into most animals, birds, or owls. (I did break down and buy an Inkadinkado cupcake set which I have used a couple of times for birthday cards.)

3. I have no clue. I most definitely do NOT have my finger on the pulse of this craft. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
....It is even worse, IMHO, when I read these threads on scrapbooking groups. I love when people post about how they would never use their pattern scissors now because they are "so out of date". Like my grandkids in 20 years looking at a family scrapbook are going to say "wow- Grandma was so out of date- she used wavy scissors in 2009 and they were passe by then".
All seems kind of silly, doesn't it?
My thoughts exactly!

As for cardmaking trends, though, I love seeing new stuff all the time. Some of it appeals, some doesn't, and I love threads like this. Thanks for starting it, Krystie Lee!

1. What current trend do you love? Silhouettes, CAS, owls
2. What current trend are you sitting out? Copics, tons of embellishments, boxes (though I'm weakening on this one!)
3. What trends do you see coming up next? I am clueless!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

"She who dies with the most fabric wins...." It's Official. I won.

I have just cleared out and donated to Project Linus SEVEN large trash bags full of cotton quilting fabric--and it was 2/5 of what I had (don't ask me how I know this).

I have to smile just a bit at the prices of Big Shots, Cricuts, Cuttlebugs, etc...if anyone (including my DH) knew how much a top-of-the-line sewing machine costs...ugh, let's just stop there!

Seriously, though, every craft goes through trends--quilting, knitting, papercrafts, textiles, you name it. The manufacturers involved have to come up with new stuff to stay attractive and current to their customers and stay in business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=krystie lee;14530747]Just for fun!

bling, designer paper, copics, digis
2. What current trend are you sitting out? owls, cupcakes, skulls, faceless people
3. What trends do you see coming up next? no clue, maybe make your own designer paper?

What a fun thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

1. What current trend do you love? CAS, butterflies, sewing on cards, buttons on ribbon, colored pearls, and designer paper
2. What current trend are you sitting out? Digi-stamps...I know it is all the rage, just not a fan :rolleyes:
3. What trends do you see coming up next? I think fabric is going to be HUGE very soon. Not sure if I will jump on that bandwagon, but maybe.

Fun thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Great thread, Krystie!
1. What current trend do you love? Copics, birds, cupcakes, stitching, Big Shot (love all the boxes), buttons, damask, patterned paper, and so on...

2. What current trend are you sitting out? skulls, all kids and girls, digital scrapbooking, the yellow and gray color combo

3. What trends do you see coming up next? fabric sounds fun! I hope rich bright colors are going to be here awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

1. What current trend do you love? Im not sure whats current but from what ive seen, i love owls and CAS cards
2. What current trend are you sitting out?Headless people, sewing on cards (it looks awesome, i just dont want to do it =)
3. What trends do you see coming up next? hmmm i dont know, i would like to have more DP inspired by other countries, i cant get enough of Japan and India.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I have never understood this "trend" thing in papercrafting- other than from the manufacturer's position of "sell more, sell more".

If you have it and like it, use it. If you bought it and don't like it, get rid of it.

There are certainly enough beautiful cards shown here every day using "old" stamps and "old" techniques, to show that the trends are just marketing ploys.

It is even worse, IMHO, when I read these threads on scrapbooking groups. I love when people post about how they would never use their pattern scissors now because they are "so out of date". Like my grandkids in 20 years looking at a family scrapbook are going to say "wow- Grandma was so out of date- she used wavy scissors in 2009 and they were passe by then".

LOL, I so agree with you! Trends remind me of high school (doing something because everyone else is doing it, not because it pleases YOU). Sometimes I'll shun a trend and go with something else to be unique (which is why I am probably the only crafter on the planet without Baroque Motifs). At least then you don't have to worry about your card being identical to someone else's! This is a great thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

What is CAS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

This is a great topic for a thread.
I only use what I love and will not use something just because it is a trend. But I love new products and I love change. If there was never anything new offered, I would have stopped this hobby a long time ago. I don't like the same old boring stuff day after day. So here are my answers to the questions asked.

Love: mini rhinestones, dew drops, buttons, Copics, some faceless images such as Anyas & Gingersnaps, grungy looking pattern paper, chocolate anything, coffee anything

Sitting Out: Digi Stamps, vintage/collage theme products

What's Next: Textures, Fabric (who knew I was ahead of the trend? I've been using fabric for the past year or so.)

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy WView Post
What is CAS?
Clean And Simple

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Just for fun!

Faux Bois!

Quote:

Digital stamps

Quote:

Resurgence of vintage, but with a cleaner, more minimalist look.

Continued/rising interest in eco-friendly products and nature-themed style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #53  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

What is Faux Bois?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
What is Faux Bois?
A woodgrain look, I believe ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

1. love:
nestabilities, dew drops, and whatever else someone has enabled me to do....

2. sitting out:
digital stamps. Thought I was the only one, so I was glad to see there are others, although I think they are here to stay.

3. what's next:
have no idea but I'll be there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

great topic...

what I love - swirls and curls, mandalas and animal stamps, esp. dogs and cats - also love playing with anne gibson's movable parts

sitting out - copics (my prismacolor and gamsol work great) - cupcakes (but I make 'killer' ones) and people, except funny cartoon ones (if I love the image)

coming trends - cleaner and brighter colors, less 'busy' papers - layered images and more functional household items made fun (these sell at fairs if you keep the price down)

Last edited by dancincz; 07-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: mis-spell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diannep575View Post
2. sitting out:
digital stamps. Thought I was the only one, so I was glad to see there are others, although I think they are here to stay.
There are a few of us.... I think it is just a few, but still more than just me :rolleyes: I know I dropped from a DT because so much was heading in the digital direction. Just not my preference, and that's okay ;) I do think it is a trend that is here to stay though....

Last edited by starbucks_stamper; 07-04-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not into digital stamps. I'm ok with them existing, I just don't want any. I also secretly wish we'd just call them clipart too. haha.

I'm SO ONBOARD with fabric being the next big thing in cards. As another scrapbooker/quilter i have tons of delicious fabrics. And you all know that some of our favorite paper companies make fabric too right? Basic Grey, that Cosmo Cricket, Anna Griffin... If Heather Ross starts making paper I'm going to be thrilled! But if fabric on cards is the trend why wait? I'll just whip me up some Heathr Ross cards anyhow!

I like trends, they sort of point out things I may not have considered to me. Then the uber talented ladies of the craft world bring them to a whole new level, which inspires me even more. Then the trends start to change which keeps everything fresh. I hold on to the things I really loved. I'll be adding a little touch of glitter to colored images for ever, I didn't even know that background stamps were "out" and will continue to use them. I dunno, maybe I'm not as clever as I thought, but I like seeing, discussing trends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
"She who dies with the most fabric wins...." It's Official. I won.

I have just cleared out and donated to Project Linus SEVEN large trash bags full of cotton quilting fabric--and it was 2/5 of what I had (don't ask me how I know this).

I have to smile just a bit at the prices of Big Shots, Cricuts, Cuttlebugs, etc...if anyone (including my DH) knew how much a top-of-the-line sewing machine costs...ugh, let's just stop there!

Seriously, though, every craft goes through trends--quilting, knitting, papercrafts, textiles, you name it. The manufacturers involved have to come up with new stuff to stay attractive and current to their customers and stay in business.
OMG! TOL sewing machine for anywhere from $5000 - $10,000 +
Then the never ending quest for fabric, embroidery thread, patterns, ......... well let's just say that the price of a cuttlebug and a few sets of nesties is savings in the bank compared to my sewing habit!! That's one thing I love about this craft - the raw materials are cheap! Unfortunately I seem to think I need so many different things..... so..... my "savings" are evaporating pretty fast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I have never understood this "trend" thing in papercrafting- other than from the manufacturer's position of "sell more, sell more".

If you have it and like it, use it. If you bought it and don't like it, get rid of it.

There are certainly enough beautiful cards shown here every day using "old" stamps and "old" techniques, to show that the trends are just marketing ploys.

It is even worse, IMHO, when I read these threads on scrapbooking groups. I love when people post about how they would never use their pattern scissors now because they are "so out of date". Like my grandkids in 20 years looking at a family scrapbook are going to say "wow- Grandma was so out of date- she used wavy scissors in 2009 and they were passe by then".

I love this comment. This is why I can't part with anything! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

1. What current trend do you love? I caved and bought a few Copics on sale and I LOVE them! I also recently bought a Janome Sew Mini on sale and I'm learning to sew on cards. Love it! I also love damask.

2. What current trend are you sitting out? Digital images (I refuse to call them stamps), robots/aliens, weird looking people/children (big head, no faces, etc.)

3. What trends do you see coming up next? fabric, natural textures, jewel tones, a resurgence of vintage but elegant, not shabby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I actually had to read through everyone's answers to see what the current trends are, I had no idea, haha.....

I guess my answers would be:
CAS cards if that is a "trend" or a "style"...IDK? but I hope it's my "style" i've just come into, kwim? and Buttons (another "trend" i'll stick with ;))

Cupcakes, Owls, Sewing, Nestabilities (product not "trend"?), Digi Stamps

Folk art style stamps and paper
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #63  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I'm not into digital stamps. I'm ok with them existing, I just don't want any. I also secretly wish we'd just call them clipart too. haha.
Absolutely! I keep sitting here wondering why people are so excited about digital "stamps" but don't seem to have used clip art or dingbats. No difference except the name so I guess somebody just came up with a clever marketing strategy!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

My answers:

1. CAS, edge punches, cupcakes, wide ribbon, Copic markers, birds, butterflies, owls, satin & taffeta ribbon, large headed children, Stickles, digi images, designer paper, swirls, Scor-Pal, paper piercing, paper piecing, trees, leaves, hand-made flowers from yarn (can't spell the real word), monkeys, princesses (not sure if these last 2 are a trend or not)

2. sewing, ribbon pleating, chipboard, rub-ons, skulls, felt flowers, shabby, distressed looking dp, hot air balloons, Nestabilities, rhinestones & dew drops (I tried... too much trouble), circle cards, over embellished cards that distracts from focusing on the main image, Thomas Kincade and other scene stamps

Wish RAKing emmbossing folders & die cuts... can't afford the Big Shot, CB, etc

Robots.. only a little bit because DS likes them.

What happened to realistic flowers?

3. I have no idea, but it has been fun reading what others have said.

What are kokeshi dolls?
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now, so I guess it's time to throw in my two cents...

Shabby/grungey/distressed/vintage--call it what you want, but this is the look that attracted me to paper crafting 5 years ago, and I still love it. I consider it my style more than a trend. I also love damask patterns (especially shabby damask!), and lots of layers and embellishments

CUPCAKES!!!! Digital images (how can you call pressing the "Print" button on your computer stamping???) Copics, Flower Soft, cutesy ocean critters

I have no idea what upcoming trends are, but would love to see folk art inspired images (as someone said earlier).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was about to start another thread, but since "one day ago" goes all the way to Page 6, I decided to ask here!

Anyone else feeling some love for Teddy Bears? I don't know what it is but they seem to be popping up everywhere for me. To resist temptation (or at least hold any teddy bear stamp purchases at bay for now), I pulled out a Ramblin' Ted image last night.

P.S. I notice a few mentions of Folk Art as up-and-coming and I certainly hope so. I was on the lookout for folk art stamps awhile back and they were definitely lacking in the marketplace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #67  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

What a fun thread Krystie!!

I LOVE my Copics (Didn't like them at first, but now I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!), cupcakes, teddy bears, Cosmo Cricket paper, boxes, nesties, anything fun and bright!

I am passing on the owls, realistic nature stamps (I think they are SO pretty when others use them, but I hate what I make when I use them!), vintage embellies...

I agree that fabric will be a big trend, but I also think that Copics will continue to be popular. I would also LOVE to see some Folk Art images.

Now...off to buy that darn Kokeshi doll stamp....how CUTE is that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #68  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Just for fun!

3. What trends do you see coming up ?
My Answers --

1 -- CAS design; big embellishments like brads, flowers, etc.
2 -- digistamps (kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it??); copics; those creepy no face, no head people
3 -- fabric and indian design

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #69  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, fun questions, Krystie!

1. What current trend do you love? vintage inspired, stitching on cards, copics and nestabilities are a staple for me in my card making, stamping my own patterned papers (not sure if this is a current trend - if not, I hope it is an upcoming one :grin, buttons, crocheted lace and flowers (kind of goes along with the vintage inspired),

I had to wait a long time for the perfect cupcake stamp to come along, but I finally have one so I guess I have joined the trend now.

I love butterflies, but don't have many butterfly stamps. Again, I'm waiting for just the right ones.

2. What current trend are you sitting out? digital images, anything with skulls (too creepy for me, I don't care for the look at all)

3. What trends do you see coming up ? I hope background stamps and creating your own stamped patterned paper becomes popular again.

For the most part, I don't buy into a lot of trends in a large way. Like with cupcakes, I have to wait until I find the perfect set or sets. Just any won't do. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=krystie lee;14530747]Just for fun!

1. What current trend do you love? Images to color with copics, realistic to clean drawn, especially (any or all) animals, Flourishes, Gina K, Lockhart, Whipper Snapper. etc.

2. What current trend are you sitting out? The cupcakes with faces, too cutsie kids, faceless kids, kids with gigantic heads.

3. What trends do you see coming up next? I have no ideas.

IMHO Stampers are getting more Sophisticated and would want more quality products that can be used long term and for multiple projects. I personally like the elegant layered look with co-ordinating papers colors and embellishments and then the opposite end of the spectrum clean and simple cards, the focus being on the stamp image and not just the embelishements. I think it is great that they are so many diffrent styles out there to choose from. I remember when SU was pretty much it, at least for me. I like having choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

What current trend do you love?

I love the flourishes, birds, flowers. Love the stars too.
Not loving the dolls

Wishing for Llamas...

blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

1. CAS, my new Cuttlebug for embossing, and my NEWER Cricut Expressions. And I've been using a lot of dimensionals for embellishments lately.

2. "Character critters" - animals in clothes, etc.; big-headed figures with no mouths (sorry, that just creeps me out - LOL); digital (although with my new printer I may be changing my mind); sewing (I keep wanting to do that, but just don't).

3. Sorry, am clueless too...but if everybody's getting on board, I'll pull out my bins and bins of fabric, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

Fun question!
I'll post mine and then go back and read

Definitely Clean and Simple, less is more! CAS is economical and less time consuming. I used to be hooked on flowers and still am but I am really loving the stars

2. What current trend are you sitting out? I like trying all sorts of new trends in limited amounts. I think there is a lot of overkill in some areas though. Although cute I've seen about enough Owls and Cupcakes and am ready for something new. I'm not really a fan of skulls or dolls.

We've been in the 70s a while now with the Owls, Mushrooms and related colors. I see the 80s coming next. Bright colors, plaids, checks and ginghams, Black, Stars, Paint splatters, Hoops, Dogs

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #74  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have so enjoyed reading through everyone's answers!

1. I love the cupcakes, butterfly punches, flowers, fancy buttons, and bling!

2. I am sitting out copics. I love what I see, but can't start a new addiction. I'm also sitting out skulls, nestabilities, sewing on cards, and cards that can't be mailed.

3. It looks like fabric is the thing most people agree is up and coming. I've always loved hot air balloons, so they would make me happy! I'm thinking maybe stamps of clothing and shoes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

1. I LOVE silhouettes, c/bug embossing, nesties, co-ordinating patterened papers, CAS (although I'm challenged to make an impressive CAS card!), flourishes, buttons, prima flowers and ribbon. Also, love this thread. So fascinating to see where others stand on current trends.

2. Like many posters before me, I'll pass on headless/featureless people (creepy!!). I dislike any personification of animals, most especially Riley the moose (the only exception is hedgehogs, but I still wouldn't use them - I'm just not into "cute"). Also, passing on copics. I already have SU markers, pastels, w/colour wonder crayons, ink pads and prismacolour watercolour pencils. Sheesh!! Given my current paper and ribbon addiction, the last thing I need is to become addicted to markers that cost the world!!!

3. No predictions re: future trends. I'm always late to the party. I just bought a butterfly punch a couple of weeks ago! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #76  
Inking Addict

Just a word of warning - do NOT accidentally google "Koleshi dolls" instead of "Kokeshi dolls." :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT NestView Post
Just a word of warning - do NOT accidentally google "Koleshi dolls" instead of "Kokeshi dolls." :oops:
Well, obviously I had to google it! hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

I'm loving the owls.
I'm sitting out of the mushrooms - and the butterflies can fly away too
I think we're going to see more graphic-related items (non-image) and 'Green' themed images (my crystal ball is showing images of Earth)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami MayberryView Post
Fun question!
I'll post mine and then go back and read

Definitely Clean and Simple, less is more! CAS is economical and less time consuming. I used to be hooked on flowers and still am but I am really loving the stars

2. What current trend are you sitting out? I like trying all sorts of new trends in limited amounts. I think there is a lot of overkill in some areas though. Although cute I've seen about enough Owls and Cupcakes and am ready for something new. I'm not really a fan of skulls or dolls.

We've been in the 70s a while now with the Owls, Mushrooms and related colors. I see the 80s coming next. Bright colors, plaids, checks and ginghams, Black, Stars, Paint splatters, Hoops, Dogs

yep, count me out of the Skull thing too!

maybe with the 80's theme, we'll be repurposing our gelly bracelets or lace fingerless gloves (thanks, Madonna!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #80  
Inking Addict

I've never used 'digital stamps', are they already colored in? Coloring with markers on paper printed on my HP printer always smears. How do you get around that? Can someone past a link of these faceless people and big headed people.

Thanks Jan B
Reply With Quote Likes