Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pearl ex spray

I know that I saw on here somewhere the amount of pearl ex to mix with a regular size bottle of hairspray, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. If someone knows the amount please clue me in. Bought a bottle of hairspray and now just need the right amount of ingredients!! Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 01:10 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Default pearl ex spray

Hi Lori,

I copied this from SCS, I'm sorry I don't know who posted it so I can give credit. :( I'm off to try it now as I just bought hairspray at Walmart.

Quote:

Got asked for more specific directions for this, so here they are, with the color combos at the bottom of the note.

Here is what I do. I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest non aerosol hair spray I could find. Mine happened to be the equate brand firm hold. I don't know if the hold level has any difference in the papers, they don't make regular hold in equate brand where I live. Mine comes in a 10.5 oz bottle and says on the front, "compare to Pantene Pro-V Hair Spray". In the same section I buy the empty spray bottles. They are small, travel size bottles. They run about 50 cents each, and are with all the travel supply stuff in that area. They have like 5 or 6 different colored ones. When I get home I take the bottle, fill it about 3/4 full or so, but leave at least a 1/2 inch of space for shaking room. I then take a very small 1/8 teaspoon measuring spoon and fill it full of powder. I make a paper funnel out of a small post it note, then drop the pearl ex into the paper funnel, and into the bottle. Once I think I have enough (somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon), I put the lid back on the bottle, and shake it. And keep shaking it until all the pearl ex is mixed in. The hair spray will take on a really neat look. The important part is to make sure it is mixed fully and completely. Once it is mixed, mask off a *VERY* large area. I usually lay an area of about 2 feet by 3 feet. This is because the spray goes everywhere if you aren't careful..lol! Once you have done this, take the paper you want to spray. You can use full sheets if you want, but I find I get better coverage with 1/4 sheets. Spray very high above the paper and let the spray fall onto the paper. I spray about a foot or more about the paper. If the hair spray starts to get a stream coming out, rather then a fine mist, you need to spray somewhere else until you get a fine mist again. If you get a stream, it tends to make bigger blobs, which don't look as pretty paper.

The colors that I have used, and like to use paper is listed first, pearl ex color is second:

going gray with silver pearl-ex (silver card stock)
creamy caramel with aztec gold (gold card stock)
ultra smooth white with interference gold (white with gold, very pretty)
taken with teal with interference green (very pretty water look for fish cards)
almost amethyst with interfernce violet
bliss blue or boardering blue with interfernece blue
night of navy with silver
baraque burgandy with aztec gold or inter. gold
real red with aztec or inter. gold
ultrasmooth white with pearl white (makes the shimmer white paper)
basic black with silver or inter. gold
ultrasmooth vanilla with inter. gold
ultrasmooth white with sliver

Haven't tried craft or confetti tan with aztec gold, but bet it would make a gold color paper. Might have to try that today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I am going to try this. I was wondering though if you have to seal it with some fixative? Does it try easily with no smearing? Or will it smear without a fixative?

Just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I saw that recipe but I don't have any little spray bottles and wanted to make a whole bottle of spray stuff...maybe I will just wait and go get some little spray bottles. Thanks for the info!!

I don't think that it needs a fixative. I think that is what the hairspray is for!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Glad you all enjoyed my post! That was me that posted it and I do love that technique. I love all the colors and am all set to be part of a pearl ex swap that is going on.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lisa M.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #6  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, I had it somewhere but forgot where I put it.. I need an office and stampin room NOWWWWWWWWWW!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin3
I am going to try this. I was wondering though if you have to seal it with some fixative? Does it try easily with no smearing? Or will it smear without a fixative?

Just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks!
All you need is the hair spray, although some people use 90% rubbing alchol, I have never used it or needed it. The hair spray is the fixative, it does not smear at all. It dries very quickly. Hope this helps!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes