Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Tina!!!

I really like these ideas, especially just keeping things and looking at them later!!!! I am not really any good at this YET, but I do keep things and go back and look at them later and try to decide why I do or don't like them and what else I could do with them. I upload yuky stuff to my gallery just so I can go back and think "HMMMMM, should've added another layer, or ooooh, that would look better if the corners were rounded". I seem to be able to be more objective about my own stuff if I leave it and go back to it later!!! TFS!

Pamm

Play (stamp) as often as possible. If you make something you don't like, put it aside (not in the trash) to look it much later. You may have a different perspective in a week or month or even a year. If you still don't like it, try cutting it into pieces for backgrounds or parts of other cards.

Keep a file/journal/whatever to keep the layouts and color combos you like. I usually take digital photos which I paste into a Word document so i can add the details (which specific cardstock, ink, techniques, where the idea came from, etc.)

Take a layout from one card and a color combo from another --- new card using elements you like.

Take a card you like and exactly duplicate it. Then make an almost identical card, changing just one thing (a color or an image or the orientation of the card from top-fold to left-fold).

Pamm
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #42  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Post # 41

Hi Pamm ~

Thanks for letting me know you like my ideas- it's always nice to find out you've helped someone in some way.

And there is always someone on SCS ready, willing, and able to help. Plus the inspiration in the galleries is amazing.

Have a great day filled with ...

Happy Crafting!
~ Tina ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My wife is a secret sister..I can not divulge that imformation.

I am pretty new to stamping, about 6 months now and you just have to jump in and start showing your work , because other peoples input helps you grow, knowing what people like about your work and even what they don't, it's all good info. And you won't always like your work, as you grow and get better , what you thought was good three weeks ago , will embarrass you now. like this card that was the first card I made and posted in my wifes gallery...My Card I liked it then , and so did others , but now I can't stand to look at it, all i see is what i would do now and what i can't believe I did then. But growth is where it's at , you can only get better and as you do you'll love doing more and more.

Hope you have fun doing what you love
Jason
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSo Toques� Guy
. . . will embarrass you now. like this card that was the first card I made and posted in my wifes gallery...My Card I liked it then , and so did others , but now I can't stand to look at it, all i see is what i would do now and what i can't believe I did then. But growth is where it's at , you can only get better and as you do you'll love doing more and more.
Jason
Oh Jason, I really love that card. I think that it is very nice. Where is that stamp from? So is it you and your wife that stamp together? That is so neat. My first card was our christmas card all 128 of them all the same and well I too look back now and know that mine were oh so plain and oh so well ugly. But I got over and I agree practice practice pratice.

I think that it is neat that you and your wife stamp together, my husband always accuses me of trying to well "change him into a girl" because I am always asking him what do you think of these colors or this style or this card. I wish he would stamp with me. But he is to busy making things to make my stamp room look all that much better and user friendly. I have a team mate that her husband starting stampng and he has been sending all of us cards and I treasure his the most.

Well keep practicing because it will come.

Inky Huggz,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by dxychick
After three years of card making, I have finally given myself permission to like my own work.
I absolutely LOVE this statement good for you,

Inky Huggz,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #46  
Watercolor Wizard

I feel this way almost daily! I get so discouraged when I can't seem to get anything to cut straight... you can't even start a card with crooked cuts!
That's my biggest challenge. 2nd challenge is that I don't like to color ALOT a little is okay, but it seems that coloring everything is **IN** so I'm out of step with that too. Sigh, today I am debating if I should just delete my whole gallery.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSo Toques� Guy
I am pretty new to stamping, about 6 months now and you just have to jump in and start showing your work , because other peoples input helps you grow, knowing what people like about your work and even what they don't, it's all good info. And you won't always like your work, as you grow and get better , what you thought was good three weeks ago , will embarrass you now. like this card that was the first card I made and posted in my wifes gallery...My Card I liked it then , and so did others , but now I can't stand to look at it, all i see is what i would do now and what i can't believe I did then. But growth is where it's at , you can only get better and as you do you'll love doing more and more.

Jason
Hey Jason! I'm your **stalker** I love your work! Don't get a restraining order just yet but I admit to checking your blog almost daily! Love the line up of the usual suspects and the bad chicken and the Oso toques (how do you say toques?).... I won't be peeking in your windows but will peek in to your blog!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh yeah.. one more thing the gallery is sooooooooooooooooooo inspiring to me and yet discouraging because I can't make things that beautiful - it's like a double edge sword!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
Hey Jason! I'm your **stalker** I love your work! Don't get a restraining order just yet but I admit to checking your blog almost daily! Love the line up of the usual suspects and the bad chicken and the Oso toques (how do you say toques?).... I won't be peeking in your windows but will peek in to your blog!
togue is that funny canadian work we have for what YOU guys call a "ski cap"... it's pronounced TOOK (rhymes with soup, poop, root etc)

(Sorry for the highjack... just wanted to clear up)

and as far as the card posting thing... i was never afraid to link my cards because i do it for ME... take the emphasis off of everyone else and you will have the reason why we all do this. you do it cause it's fun, creative, and it makes you feel good to give a handmade card to someone. i echo the many previous poster's sentiments that say DO THE SKETCH CHALLENGE! it's awesome... after a while you can sit down at your table and have the library of reference materials in your head (or in your card storage box...whatever) and you'll never be stuck again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
I feel this way almost daily! I get so discouraged when I can't seem to get anything to cut straight... you can't even start a card with crooked cuts!
That's my biggest challenge. 2nd challenge is that I don't like to color ALOT a little is okay, but it seems that coloring everything is **IN** so I'm out of step with that too. Sigh, today I am debating if I should just delete my whole gallery.
Oh hunny, don't delete your gallery I know that it is all wonderful. DO NOT and I mean DO NOT delete you gallery. You do such wonderful work. Hang in there I know the feeling. I think that we all know that feeling.

Inky Huggz,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Wink

Thank you so much Sarah for speaking for so many of us! I feel exactly the same way. I also want to thank Mytime because she made it "real". I agree with what everyone is saying. I can't even come close to creating my own card very often. I almost always have to case on some level and then I never like them as much, but I am slowly getting better. I have found it's helpful to ask for specific feedback on my card right in the title and usually people will help (gulp)...Look at it this way....nobody really knows who we are anyway right ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #52  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 615 Likes on 434 Posts

Keep going! I think my cards are not that great, I finally worked up the courage to start a gallery. Some of them are okay and some are not, but I keep trying! I have a friend who stamps and sb's too whenever we sit down to work she says that she is not creative. Once she starts with this, I think part of her brain just turns off. I keep encouraging and getting her to try new things. She is getting better.
The other thing I can suggest is to read! I just starting getting papercrafts and I get creating keepsakes for sb. They are great for ideas. YOu might also try your public library for books on stamping.
I also joined a yahoo group and that pushes me to try. In the group you do one on one swaps so that is nice. Could you try a swap with the members of your stamping group?
If you enjoy stamping, just keep doing it!! I am sure your cards are really nice. We are definetely more critical of ourselves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyO
Oh hunny, don't delete your gallery I know that it is all wonderful. DO NOT and I mean DO NOT delete you gallery. You do such wonderful work. Hang in there I know the feeling. I think that we all know that feeling.

Inky Huggz,
thank you! You made me feel better... down to the stamp room to try try try again. :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

I just wanted to say Don't give up. Try putting one card into your gallery and then go from there. I still feel very discouraged about my cards, but practice practice practice. You've been giving some wonderful advice. If you love it, don't give up.

Hope this helps!!!

Krista
Reply With Quote Likes