Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ mounting my SU stamps

I am looking into using acrylic as I have seen how nice it is for storage purposes. I am scared because I do LOVE have them wood mounted and ready to go but for storage so I can take my stamps to crops, etc. I think cling mounting them is something I would like to try. So, here are my questions. Where is a good deal for the EZ Mount. So far I am finding it to cost $4 per sheet..ugh. Is there any way I can leave the foam on my SU stamps and put something on the sticky side that usually attaches to the wood so it won't be too sticky but just enough for the acrylic blocks? That would save me TONS of money. Any ideas? Also, where is a good source for the CD cases everyone is using for storage. I LOVE this idea.

I honestly have never attended a crop outside my home because I figured once I got there I would want a set I have at home as I have so many and I never really know what I want. I do need to get out the of house and I think this will help me take MORE stuff with me..hehe.

Thanks for all your help.

Tammy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

After unintentionally unmounting some of my rubber stamps, I did some searching here on SCS and found a couple of options to the EZ Mount products. One is to use tape to adhere your stamps to your acrylic blocks (packing tape or double sided tape). The other, which I am going to do, is to put a few dabs of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the back of your stamp and let the glue dry. It will then cling to your acrylic block (or CD case or any other clear plastic or glass item you want to use to mount your stamp on) and peel off afterwards. One person here on SCS recommended for stamps with a direction (a verse stamp, or something with an up/down to it), make a mark with a marker on the back of the stamp that will let you know which way to stamp the image.

HTH! BTW, IIRC, ~$4 a sheet is pretty decent to get retail, but on eBay you can get some much better pricing.

ETA: the Aleene's glue I mentioned above cost under $4 CDN, so will probably cost you $3 US. I got mine at Michaels, the only place I could find in town that carried it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Aleen's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
The other, which I am going to do, is to put a few dabs of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the back of your stamp and let the glue dry. It will then cling to your acrylic block ........
Aleene's gets my vote too. And I've tried everything. Aleene's lasts a long long time on the rubber.
The EZ mount seems too persnickety..... any tiny crumb or bit of moisture on the acrylic block and it won't stick. I also think it looses its static cling after a couple of years.
Putting double stick tape on the acrylic works for a few times but comes off when it's wet.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

ha!

I posted a really long answer to this on your other post. But the short of it is, I use Alene's, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 02:26 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I think most of us just stick with what we're used to and don't try new things...so it's great you are venturing out! Storage will be AMAZING for you!

I'd say try both Aleene's and a sheet of cling. TAC used the Tack it Over for many, many years and then the year I came aboard they changed over to EZ Cling. So, naturally I love that and in 3 years I haven't had the problems GarnetJ mentioned...I even wash my blocks/stamps under water and then when I set them at an angle to dry they may slide a bit but that is it!! I know the original TAC demos were probably leary changing over (atleast at first!) So, for $6 you can see for yourself what you prefer!

CD cases...I get mine at Staples. It's a big package of 25 for around $8...be sure to get regular cases and NOT slim/jewel type! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the EZ Mount. It's quick, easy and doesn't get gooped up with dog hair, EP, glitter or whatever else is around. You can get quite a few sets from one sheet of EZ mount. I think I got about 8 sets per sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
I love the EZ Mount. It's quick, easy and doesn't get gooped up with dog hair, EP, glitter or whatever else is around. You can get quite a few sets from one sheet of EZ mount. I think I got about 8 sets per sheet.
Yes, this is my problem with Aleens. It will cling to ANYTHING, including dirt. EZ Mount only clings to smooth, nonporous serfaces. I have not experienced the cling wearing out.

As for the price, go directly to the manufacturer-- www.sundayint.com I get mine from them and it isn't more than 3 dollars a sheet. If you happen to be a demo for any stamping company or teach stamping classes anywhere, you can apply for their discount-- 20 percent off. It think I pay 2.70 per sheet.

Another thing, here's how I cut my stamps which really saves on the cost of EZ mount. First, I cut the rubber really close. Then I put the stamps on the EZ mount as close together as I can. Then I remove the cling side paper and apply it to a glass cutting matte (glass is BEST here). I then use a BRAND NEW exacto blade and cut the EZ mount as close to the edge of rubber as I can. Cuts like butter. My stamps trimmed closer than anyone I know and I can get a TON of stamps on one sheet of EZ mount.

One last word. When I first started with EZ mount, I worried about it wearing out. But with my method, replacing the EZ mount on one stamp is cheap. I no longer worry. In my experience, and I've been working with the stuff for a while, the only thing that stops the cling is if you get acrylic paint on the cling side and it dries. When I work with acrylic paint, I stop and wash my stamps AS SOON as I am finished stamping. The great thing is that if you do get some dust on the cling side, you just rinse quickly and it is back to normal. Alleens is not like this. Once it gets dusty, you need to clean off and reapply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #8  
MnM
Crimping Master

[

Last edited by MnM; 05-18-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

vinyl

don't 'cha just hate spelling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #10  
MnM
Crimping Master

M

Last edited by MnM; 05-18-2006 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It is all becoming a lot clearer for me and now I just need to figure out which way I want to try first. I found on meritline.com they are selling 200 cd cases for $33. I know, don't laugh but I have a lot of stamp sets.

Next question. How do you print off a nice label so I can see the stamp set name on that little tiny bar so if I have the CD case so all I see is the small bar, I want to see the name. Any printing suggestions?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I know this is late, sorry.

I won't laugh about your 200 cd cases. I have almost 200 SU sets and then some other brands, too!

I have one of those small battery-operated label makers that I use to make the labels. I also color-code my sets with a little swipe of acrylic paint (blue for floral, brown for vintage, etc).

I think the label maker is called Letra-Tag or something like that. I got it at Target for about $20 and it's good for labeling lots of stuff. I just have to trim (with scissors) a little off the width to make it fit on that tiny bar.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Labels for CD Cases

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity3333us
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It is all becoming a lot clearer for me and now I just need to figure out which way I want to try first. I found on meritline.com they are selling 200 cd cases for $33. I know, don't laugh but I have a lot of stamp sets.

Next question. How do you print off a nice label so I can see the stamp set name on that little tiny bar so if I have the CD case so all I see is the small bar, I want to see the name. Any printing suggestions?

Thanks so much.
I went to Avery.com and downloaded a CD case template for MS Word. It had lots of background stuff in it, but just delete, then draw very light lines over the fold/cut lines so you know where to center stuff. I scan in the labels for my new sets, and place that as a picture on the large part of the template (I'm certain this is all just as clear as mud)... then I print on cardstock, cut out, fold and pop it into the CD case. Hope this helps a bit, and I'll try and load a thumbnail when I get home. I love having my stamps right there on the desk when I stamp -- it helps me use my stash more than when I have to actually get up and go to the bookcase where the rest of them are stored....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

This is where I get my EZMount. The best prices I've found and if they are a vendor at your local stamp convention, they usually have a 'convention special' and it's even a bit cheaper. Love EZMount! Aleen's seems to be too 'messy' for me...and I have over 250 CD cases of stamps....not all SU...but, I'm working on it. You will also find that some of the background stamps won't fit in the CD cases....so, I just mount them on the EZMount and store multiples in the background cases from SU. HTH

http://www.rubberstampingdepot.com/S...untingFoam.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgramma
You will also find that some of the background stamps won't fit in the CD cases....so, I just mount them on the EZMount and store multiples in the background cases from SU.
This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnM
Yes !
Trim your stamps as you usually would but instead of mounting them on wood..........mount them to a thin sheet of vinal (sp?) and then cut it out. You can buy vinal (sp?) (vynal ?) at Joanne's or any good fabric store. It comes on a huge roll.
I helped a friend do this and it has been several years now and her's still cling to the acrylic blocks very well.

Does anyone know how to spell vinal????
MnM
Question: is vinyl the clear stuff you make coverings out of or people used to cover their sofas with so they wouldn't get worn??? LOL! (my aunt did this!) Thanks for any help!! I have been using ez mount but this sounds cheaper. I love my unmounted SU! stamps. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryJo Marshall
Question: is vinyl the clear stuff you make coverings out of or people used to cover their sofas with so they wouldn't get worn??? LOL! (my aunt did this!) Thanks for any help!! I have been using ez mount but this sounds cheaper. I love my unmounted SU! stamps. TFS!
I tried the vynal system and I found that it does not cling as well as EZ mount. It does have somewhat to do with the climate you live in. EZ mount is not climate specific, but vynal can be...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

vinyl also comes in different thicknesses so finding the right one will probably make it stick better. I can't remember how it works though. I know I use the thinnest to get it to stick to itself but don't know which would stick to acrylic blocks best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I use Clear Decal for ink jet printers..... It is cheaper than EZMount... you can get it at Staples or Wal-Mart... It is the stuff that is used to make window clings- I transfered all of mine over and have been using this for over 2 years now - If the cling gets dirty/not clingy anymore, i give it spray of windex and rinse it under water....All better

BTW~Alot of the smaller sets you can fit 2 or even 3 into your CD case
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I have some questions ... I think I am ready to try this for my newest alphabet.

Why do take the foam part off the back of the stamp? Do you have to?

I have window decal for injet printers, and it doesn't seem to stick at all to the acrylic block???

If I try the vinyl approach, do I leave the foam backing on the stamp?

Wish someone was here so I could see it.
Reply With Quote Likes