Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #1841  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Someone would have noticed Sabrina. I was working on my blog post for Monday and had to give up last night. Just too tired. I wonder how it came about that we write the date differently, drive on a different side of the road and use a different measurement system?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2019, 04:32 AM   #1842  

BIG DAY today! It's opening day of Dare to Get Dirty! Challenges will be appearing soon so keep your eyes open for that. Lydia's challenge is especially dear.

While you wait for DTGD don't forget all the weekly challenges are still going on and today's Inspiration Challenge is up!

We haven't had a question in a while how about one inspired by today's IC?

Do you do any type of needle work or have you done any in the past?
I am not a knitter. The pieces on the photos on today's IC website are beautiful. Makes me wish I had learned! My mom gave me one crochet lesson when I was 10 and promptly gave up on me. I never tried again. I used to cross stitch though and I have a few beautiful pieces. I don't have the eyes or the patience for it anymore. I would much rather be stamping!

Last edited by ohmypaper!; 08-03-2019 at 04:37 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #1843  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I'm pretty sure I shared my knitted wreath here last year. I always have some knitting on the go. I did take a break while my shoulder was so bad, but am getting back to it again. I like knitting in the car, it makes me a less nervous passenger...though crochet might be easier. I can crochet a dish rag or a simple square but I've never tried more than that. Embroidery, crewel, cross-stitch and needlepoint are all something I've done a bit of. I have a needlepoint-type piece of Van Gogh's irises over my mantelpiece, done from one of Kaffe Fasset's books.

I did all 26 letters of an alphabet with Beatrix Potter characters. I need to make two more pieces do that I could arrange them in a 4 X 7 design and turn them into a wall hanging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #1844  

Wow, Sabrina! You are very handy with a needle! You will have to photograph the wall hanging and share it with us when you have finished it.

Oh, now I really wish I could knit. I bet that is soothing in the car!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 AM   #1845  

Our Featured Stamper is Pam! Pam has a wonderful gallery with lots of mixed media. She is also recovering from back surgery so I hope everyone will stop by and leave her some love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #1846  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I'm pretty sure I shared my knitted wreath here last year. I always have some knitting on the go. I did take a break while my shoulder was so bad, but am getting back to it again. I like knitting in the car, it makes me a less nervous passenger...though crochet might be easier. I can crochet a dish rag or a simple square but I've never tried more than that. Embroidery, crewel, cross-stitch and needlepoint are all something I've done a bit of. I have a needlepoint-type piece of Van Gogh's irises over my mantelpiece, done from one of Kaffe Fasset's books.

I did all 26 letters of an alphabet with Beatrix Potter characters. I need to make two more pieces do that I could arrange them in a 4 X 7 design and turn them into a wall hanging.

Ohhhh, Beatrix Potter. I loved my little Beatrix Potter books when I was little. The Smithsonian (DC) had the most wonderful BP exhibit years ago. Her childhood was so unusual; her drawings magical. I need to see your alphabet - photos please! {looking for begging icon, haha}

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #1847  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

This is probably the stupidest question in the world but do you prefer knitting or crochet? I can't do either and only have a very basic understanding of the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #1848  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
This is probably the stupidest question in the world but do you prefer knitting or crochet? I can't do either and only have a very basic understanding of the difference.

I prefer knitting, but that's what I learnt first. I think that crochet would be more practical in the car and you could probably take it through airports too. My boss always borrows knitting needles from me when her mother comes to visit from Spain, because she can't bring them unless she goes for checked baggage.

I'd like to learn to crochet better, but there's always another knitting project or two in the queue.

The finished Beatrix Potter, I don't know when it will happen while it still depends on me charting two illustrations myself . I should look and see if there's something commercially available and the right sort of size.

We had Beatrix Potter placemats at one stage when I was a child. Squirrel Nutkin was the one I always wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #1849  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post

I cannot crochet to save my life! I knit quite happily but something in my brain chemistry just will not get a handle on crochet. If you’re thinking you might like to take up either/both (and be warned that yarn addiction is at least as problematic as paper/ink/paint addiction!) try finding a local group where somebody can introduce you to both - you might find one or the other suits you better.

On the needles and air travel thing, have you tried the kind of circular needle with interchangeable bamboo tips Sabrina? I really like them and I can imagine they’d cause far less consternation at airports than even straight bamboo needles - maybe your boss could try that?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #1850  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I can crochet a little ( made a couple of ripple stitch afghans years ago, and turned some granny squares into a Christmas tree skirt.) I could never get the hang of knitting. But I didn't put a lot of effort into learning, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #1851  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 225 Likes on 136 Posts

I sincerely regret never having learned to knit or crochet. My mother did beautiful work and taught my sister both. Unfortunately, as a child I never had any interest so didn't learn. I tried to learn to knit about 15 years ago but was all thumbs. Sigh; everything is so much easier to learn when you're young!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #1852  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

The CAS challenge is up:

CAS545 - Stripes - 08/05/2019 - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #1853  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I cannot crochet to save my life! I knit quite happily but something in my brain chemistry just will not get a handle on crochet. If you’re thinking you might like to take up either/both (and be warned that yarn addiction is at least as problematic as paper/ink/paint addiction!) try finding a local group where somebody can introduce you to both - you might find one or the other suits you better.
On the needles and air travel thing, have you tried the kind of circular needle with interchangeable bamboo tips Sabrina? I really like them and I can imagine they’d cause far less consternation at airports than even straight bamboo needles - maybe your boss could try that?

So true, the bolded part. And nice yarn can be very spendy. A pair of socks could set you back at least $25.

I often use circular needles anyway, Joanne - though I've never tried the brands with the interchangeable tips. I suspect my bosses mother might be too old to learn new tricks, and so far I've always been able to lend her the sizes she needs.
In theory I think knitting needles are now allowed through security, but I'm not prepared to test it and have my knitting unravel because I had to take the needles out and stuff the knitting into my luggage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #1854  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
I sincerely regret never having learned to knit or crochet. My mother did beautiful work and taught my sister both. Unfortunately, as a child I never had any interest so didn't learn. I tried to learn to knit about 15 years ago but was all thumbs. Sigh; everything is so much easier to learn when you're young!

I kinda sorta tried to learn when young but didn’t like it one bit and think I learned just one stitch (if it’s called a stitch?). Same with sewing. And coloring! They all made me feel cramped and claustrophobic.

For a little while I enjoyed that knitting (?) thing with a spool with nails hammered into the top, not that I did anything with the yarn “snake” that got longer and longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #1855  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

In theory I think knitting needles are now allowed through security, but I'm not prepared to test it and have my knitting unravel because I had to take the needles out and stuff the knitting into my luggage.
Yes, according to these government guidelines knitting needles are allowed at UK airports but of course you need to know that they're also allowed at the other airport(s) on your trip! Presumably the same kind of guidelines are available for Irish airports?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

For a little while I enjoyed that knitting (?) thing with a spool with nails hammered into the top, not that I did anything with the yarn “snake” that got longer and longer.
There was a brand called "Knitting Nancy" here in the UK - I do remember stitching one "snake" into a coiled table mat. Knitting looms are quite a "thing" now - you can get all kinds of sizes and a quick google will turn up any number of patterns for socks, hats, scarves, cup cosies etc. Exactly the same principle as those little spool gadgets!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #1856  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes, according to government guidelines knitting needles are allowed at UK airports but of course you need to know that they're also allowed at the other airport(s) on your trip!

There was a brand called "Knitting Nancy" here in the UK - I do remember stitching one "snake" into a coiled table mat. Knitting looms are quite a "thing" now - you can get all kinds of sizes and a quick google will turn up any number of patterns for socks, hats, scarves. Exactly the same principle as those little spool gadgets!

We made our own “spoolie,” but later I saw them in stores! The only “fiber” project from 7th grade Home Ec I semi-enjoyed: Swedish weaving onto a huck towel. Blue thread/pink towel. I liked making up the *very simple* geometric design. Which is what I like making most on cards. Some things never change.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/knittingnancys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #1857  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hah, that article has a teeny weeny picture of the very one I had!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 03:16 AM   #1858  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weeks Teapot Tuesday teaparty is up and it is for a very special lady and her hubby - Julie and Dave Gearinger. Hope you can send some sunshine their way.

MMTPT576~August 6, 2019~ Rain, Hail or Shine - Splitcoaststampers

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #1859  

I see fruit in today's Color Challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #1860  

Today's Dare to Get Dirty Challenges are up and running!

Yours Truly is hosting one today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #1861  

Today's WT752 is up! We are using the edges of our cards as design elements today.

It's been pretty quiet around here so I have questions!!

Are you playing in the daily challenges this week?

Are you playing in the Dare To Get Dirty challenges this week?

Do you have school-age children and are they back in school yet?

Did you go on vacation this week or last week?

What do you like or dislike about my questions?

Yes, I am playing in a few Daily Challenges this week.
Yes, I am playing in a few DTGD Challenges. No Queen status for me though, just playing.
I am done with K-12 but I have a college student heading to college in a couple of days and even though we prepped all summer for this it's wild now that it's just days away.
No vacations at all for me this summer. :(
What I like about the questions is hearing about YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #1862  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I very rarely play in the daily challenges these days, somehow the shape of my day just doesn’t fit!

I made samples for some DTGD challenges but haven’t been playing in real time (see above!). I’ve been having fun looking at lots of the things people have made and leaving gallery comments though. There are some very creative takes on the challenges!

No kids here, I skipped straight to grandma status :cool:

We took our vacation early this year - a couple of weeks in Austria which was lovely.

The questions are fun, it’s great to learn a little more about some fellow SCSers. I don’t like that I don’t always have time to join in.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #1863  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Daily challenges: only the two I had prepared samples for ahead of time. My boss is away, I'm helping her cover in the lab and had overtime too. Plus shopping and prepping for my MIL's birthday celebration tomorrow. I'd love to play in Polly's MIX today (use fibre), but after work I have to make tomato and veloute sauces and go to the physio. I got up early to take all the meat off the chickens, and am currently reducing the stock.

DTGD : just one or two, work has been pretty full-on ever since we got back from holidays. I did work one of my WT cards into Dina's challenge but still haven't taken a photo of the relevant part of it.

Kids - no, but we are probably taking in a friend's college-age son for an academic year :shock:. He rang me last year to say thanks for all the birthday cards and gifts throughout the years (I'd said 18 would be the end. I would actually have sent just a card this year, but work and a holiday weekend messed me up).

Our camping holiday was back in June, but DH heads to the US for ten days next week so I have my staycation coming up.

I always enjoy the questions and answers, both personal and relating to card-making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #1864  

I am the hostess for the F4A494 challenge today! I hope you like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #1865  

I am hosting this week's IC714 along with our Guest Designer, Denise (Card Crazy).

There might not be anymore new Dare To Get Dirty Challenges but we have until next Friday, August 16th, 11:59 PM, Central Time to upload our cards so if anyone needs more time, we have it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #1866  

So sorry I didn't get a chance to comment on the answers to the questions but it's been very hectic here. A GOOD hectic, well mostly ha!

Joanne, Grandma status is sweet! My daughter insists she is just going to be the fun Aunt.

I always enjoy seeing your cards when I spot them in the gallery and I still have the VW Bus card sitting on my shelf that you sent me!

Sabrina, My husband was worried today that once my daughter is gone, I wouldn't want to be alone so he couldn't go backpacking anymore. I laugh! I told him I will be just fine. Can't wait for a little staycation time!

Oh, wow on taking in a college-age student!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #1867  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Buzzing by very quickly...

I MISS chatting here! I have been crazy, crazy busy. In fact, I just finished printing off the final handouts for tomorrow's women's retreat that I am facilitating. I have been peeking in on my DTGD challenge gallery (so fun!) but other gallery comments will have to wait until tomorrow night or Sunday. I REALLY hope to get a list together for the weekly faves.

My craft table is still a DTGD_mess, and my desk is a church project-mess.
It doesn't help that I am cluttered on a good day! LOL

Hope everyone is enjoying all of the fun challenges; I plan to get back in the groove real soon.

Inky {{{HUGS}}}
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798,
VSN Moderator, Weekly Sketch Challenge Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #1868  

Kim, so glad to "see" you! I hope the retreat is going very well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #1869  

Aww! I just checked our Featured Stamper this week and it's Kellijo! Kelli has a super fun gallery! I hope you will be able to play along! I am going to try to squeak out a card today to celebrate Kelli.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #1870  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

My stamp table is a disaster!!! I keep telling my family, I’ll clean it up after the 15th!!

I’ve been working on DTGD cards & the cards for this month’s fan club gallery. I have a card to upload for the WT challenge, my sample for the CAS & need to finish the Free4All that’s in pieces on my table.

My boys school all year round.

We took our “vacation” earlier in the summer going to archery tournaments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #1871  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The CAS challenge is up:

CAS546 Fairy Folk - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #1872  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I saw that CAS challenge yesterday and would you believe, in all those hundreds (thousands?) of stamps and dies I have not a single fairy?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 AM   #1873  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I saw that CAS challenge yesterday and would you believe, in all those hundreds (thousands?) of stamps and dies I have not a single fairy?!

You can often improvise - butterfly or dragonfly wings combined with an image of a person (child or adult) can make a quirky fairy figure!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #1874  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Quote:

You can often improvise - butterfly or dragonfly wings combined with an image of a person (child or adult) can make a quirky fairy figure!
Brilliant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #1875  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

I saw someone used a dandelion stamp. I used a LOTV digi. That’s my only fairy stamp & I bought it a couple of years ago for a challenge Lee hosted! This is only the 2nd time I’ve used it. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #1876  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScraperwannabeView Post
I saw someone used a dandelion stamp. I used a LOTV digi. That’s my only fairy stamp & I bought it a couple of years ago for a challenge Lee hosted! This is only the 2nd time I’ve used it. :lol:

I have 2 fairy images in my small digi file. One from dawnmercedes, and the other I purchased for Lee's winter VSN challenge a while back.

Lee is trying to get us hooked on fairies! LOL
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798,
VSN Moderator, Weekly Sketch Challenge Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #1877  

I would still love to play the CAS and combine it with the Featured Stamper Challenge because Kelli and I both have the same fairy stamp set. I need to go see what everyone came up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #1878  

Misti, you are so busy! I love the cards you created for DTGD! Last week I had several inches of piles of things on my work surface!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #1879  

Here is this week's TLC755. I want to make a bunch of these!

The Teapot Challenge is to use embossing and send the card to a very talented SCS friend who is recovering from surgery.

And lastly the Color Challenge is soooo pretty. I have a paper stack with these colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #1880  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

[QUOTE=Angelnorth;21854066]You can often improvise - butterfly or dragonfly wings combined with an image of a person (child or adult) can make a quirky fairy figure![/QUOT

Joanne, that's a brilliant idea - now why couldn't I have thought of that?! I
Reply With Quote Likes