Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVED the post about the "box of peace and quiet"

That is a scream! I think we should all make a point to order ourselves a box of peace and quiet each month! HeeHee!

As for XBox (and paintball) all the neighbor's DH's are into this too. It's quite the joke among the wives. But when he's doing that, I'm free to ignore the scuzzy bathrooms and stanky laundry and stamp, right???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:44 AM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you all for the great responses to this subject. You have brought big smiles and laughter to my day :!: :lol: Love you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:46 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Default We are all in the same boat!!

It's okay..we all admit we have a problem and its a good thing we aren't going to do a darn thing about it!!!

I think I am going to the craft store at lunch!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #44  
Inking Addict

A few years back I had no hobbies, and my DH suggested I get one. Now I'm a scrappin, card making, crocheting quilter. Now he's sorry...lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 06:00 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Quote:

kalidascop
Cardstock Collector

OMIGOSH!!!!!!! kalidascop: you've been a member since MARCH & this is your FIRST POST!!!!! well, girl, WHAT have you been doing???? stamping or something?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!! congrats on coming out of the lurking closet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #46  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Love the Hotel SCS song! I see song of hte year nominee here!!

I actually got lucky the other day. Hubby found my stack of boxes from all my purchases. Why did I keep them? I dont' know - wrap presents in maybe? Packrat is my middle name... BUT the next day, UPS ran and gave me this HUGE box. So as DH is about to throw a fit, I open it up and there's one stamp pad in there. So I have him fooled for a while anyway thinking that most of those boxes just had one or two things in them. Yeah, right! I keep my area a little messy so he can't figure out what is what and exactly how much I'm spending! I have a part-time job that takes care of dance and gymnastics and stamp money, so he doesn't see that account - luckily!

For Christmas, I was trying to figure out how to get him to buy me stamps. DH suprized me and bought me a stamp pad organizer. I'm so excited! He's slowly realizing that I'm a much nicer person with my stamps. My nickname isn't BB (figure that one out) for nothing!

have a great day!!
elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Default Guilty here too....I have been collecting stamping/scrapping

supplies for YEARS and it seems to get worse as it goes. In the past 2 weeks I have bought 2 sets of Sizzlets alpahabets (on sale for $60 each) some stamps, paper, stickers, ink pads, idea books and I don't know what else. It's been about $200 in 2 weeks. PLUS I put together a $120 SU order for hubby to get me for Christmas. Plus other stampin goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

you sound like me...i have also bought a bunch of sizzix stuff...stamps and the whole nine yards...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

Kalidascop.....they are all lying! It does get better. You get all your new toys and then start playing with them. That gives you a lull from spending. You are too busy stamping to spend more money. Then you run out of yo yo yellow card stock and HAVE to have more. Why, well, then you get on SCS to look at samples to justify buying a whole new pack of yy. While on there you see a sample of a set you don't have, and you have to buy it. There are embelishments that you don't have as well. Then there is a technique that you are not quite sure about. So you head to the forums where you post a topic about it. The nice ladies there give you all sorts of responses. Most contain links to where you can buy something else that you didn't know you needed until now. So......if you are a demo you head off to the Stampin Up website to place your order. But before you do you total up your stuff. Now you need yy paper, baroque burgundy, forest foliage and some more white. Then you added some ribbon and eyelets and lets not forget that stamp set that you have to have now. So you are under a $100. Well, if you just order 50 more you can get the hostess benefits and a free hostess set. And you always did want to order that other alphabet set. So now you have $150 order. You have signed off SU web and had no intention of going back to SCS but before getting off the computer you check your email and there are replies so you go check them out. Now you find out about twinkling H20's, craftorganizers and sales at viking or joanns. So off to those places you go. $30 here, $20 there, and anothe $50 here. But you got a deal.

All in all, you just needed some yy cs and at the end of the day you placed a $150 SU order, a new xyron, legal pads from viking, a bunch of misc stuff from JoAnns to get a free tv, twinkling H20's, an organizer for your ink pads on ebay and a tape spinner from Fellowes to hold your ink pads.

So, yes it gets better, then it gets WORSE!!!!!! then it gets better again when you get all those toys. Then....it gets worse again. Glad my dh has no clue.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

I spend so much- I find my self thinking of joining a 12 step club so I can learn to control myself! Then I go to the 99 cent store and case every Isle looking for things I can use- I even look at the grocery store- Now don't let me get on-line-I am so sick I can't stand myself! I am worse when I look at our Stampinup catalog- even at my monthly stamp club- What I buy, I don't get a discount on and I still overspend- then after meeting, I will go home and go on line as a demonstrator and buy more stuff---sick, sick, sick! d
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

It's okay. you will find comfort here!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh i am so glad I am not the only one spending too much money! I have been a bit down with myself because of my spending. But ya know, the holidays, all the stinking gifts to make, cards to make, then...the new winter mini comes out and Sell-a-bration is just around the corner!
It's like the snowball effect.
Now I am trying to focus on my baking and taking my mind off spending!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Ha, ha!!! I thought I was the only one with an addiction to collecting stamp stuff! So glad to hear I'm not alone One of my favorite pastimes (besides stamping) is "organizing" all my stuff so it fits in the jam-packed closet that I can call my own. And I also was sure that the "need" for stuff would die down once I got the necessities, but no, no, No - always need some more!

Great song, JanTink! I printed that out and hung it on the door of my rubber closet. I love this site because I don't personally know anyone else as addicted as I am and I've always thought I'm a bit weird :oops:

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can't stop spending $$$!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunagroff
I can't control myself lately! I just keep buying stamping stuff! If my husband knew how much I've spent in the last 2.5 months, I think he'd kill me. I was in search of a new hobby, but I never expected it to become such an obsession! I wish that I could control my impulses little better, though. Hopefully it's worse during the "start-up" period. Now that I have an established collection of stamps and tools, maybe the spending curve can start going down...
Hi Shuana - wanna be my SU! customer?

Just kidding. :lol:
Hang on baby...it's a long bumby ride! Start you'r own stampin' stash of $ cause your gonna keep on spending!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

PS to Jantink - NICE SONG!!!

Isn't Catie usually the one whipping up the songs! I have to say...you may have out witted her on this one (shhhh!...don't tell her)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #56  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default More Stuff

I tell myself that I'm only going to look! I know that's not going to happen and when I got home today, I had 3 bags of stamping stuff that followed me HOME!
I have been stamping and crafting for years, and my room is now full, but it's ok, because I have now use the extra room in my husband office. He only needs to have a small path to the computer!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

JanTink

the new words to the song are great!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Default There's a method to this madness...it's called therapy!

Okay ladies...don't you feel excited and inspired when you start down the Target or Walmart Scrapbooking isle...AND...doesn't it give you a warm and fuzzy feeling just thinking about sitting down with your pals to work on all those projects...AND...what about all those nights that you reach for that special catalog right at your bedside table for those midnight thoughts for a page layout...AND...who would put together all those scrapbooks preserving your family legacy IF...not for US?!?!

So....as far as I am concerned--KEEP ON SPENDING...I mean after all when it gets out of hand...you just start looking around the house to see what you might sell on eBay or better yet...join SU and let your workshops pay for your hearts desires!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

I have my own checking acct. for my stamping addiction and I just try to spend my profit from being a SU demo. My dh never knows how much I spend. Besides my dh golfs (and that can add up) and he loves his boat more than he loves me I think. And you know what the initials BOAT stands for don't you....break out another thousand$$. So he really can't complain, can he!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Love that song!!! you are so talented!

my dh has come up a saying....Stamps $500, cardstock $250, hours of my wife stamping and leaving me alone.......priceless
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #61  
Glitter Guru

Goodness, I feel your pain (really - I do!)

Like everyone else here I spend and spend some more. A plus to being a demonstrator is that I always remain creative. It makes me ill to think of how much I spent on stamping, ceramics, cross stich, etc... and in the end I never used the stuff (or simply started it and set it aside) As a demonstrator I have another reason to creat and use. Also, since I want to support myself, I rarely ever step foot in a craft store anymore, and I would never dream of purchasing a products from someone else that I can find in my own little catalog! As a final plus, I've become so much better at making and sending cards - and people LOVE this! My dh doesn't say much, but I can see him chew his lip when he steps in and something new has appeared in my little space. He's happy that I'm happy, and I almost want to cry when he gives me a card for a birthday, anniversary or Christmas, and he ends his note by saying that this was the nicest card he could find, but it never compares to mine... What a sweetheart! When I made a set of cards for a craft show he wanted to know if I was charging $6 or $10 for each card (couldn't get more then $1), since my cards put Halmark to shame - his words, not mine!

I'll end on this. Don't dig yourself in debt. If the spending is truely getting too much, then become the best person around at learning how to create 100's of wonderful cards with what you have; spend only on cardstock and envelopes, and do this with a set budget... Limit yourself to viewing the gallery under sets you own, and simply copy those wonderful cards to your computer that you want to try someday. This too shall pass... If this doesn't work, then make su work for you so that you have the extra money for your hobbie (I've not been so good at this, so I live on a budget - kinda)

Talked WAY too much, so I had better go fix dinner.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

oh my goodness..i just checked my fun account..trust me it's never been a lot in there..boy am i low! i need to replenish the fund!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do like my Mother taught me. Don't wear this new dress, x,x,x,x, yet, so that when your Dad asks if it's new, you can truthfully say, "no, I've had this for a while". I mean, a month is a while, no?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 03:19 AM   #64  
Mad Swapper

My mother always taught us to say that...im still carrying on that tradition!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #65  
Crimping Master

Oh, I love that one. I just realized that my mom did that too. I just never realized what she was doing until you said that. LOL I'll have to try that one.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Wow!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one spending and not realizing how much. I too am shocked when I tally it up. I think sometimes I spend more time buying supplies, stamps,etc. instead of actually using the stuff. But it all looks so good. Gotta have it all!!!! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 PM   #67  
Glitter Queen

To those of you who said things about husbands dying if they knew how much you spent - how on earth does he not know? Surely he sees the bills, huh? Or even if you have a seperate account or something, doesn't he ask or wonder? And if you have a seperate account that is "not his business", then why would he freak out about what you spent? I guess I don't understand the point of trying to hide something like how much you are spending - they are not totally dumb - they can look at the catalog and see how much this stuff costs. If you can afford it, then what is the big deal in him knowing? And if you can't really afford it, then it definitely shouldn't be a secret. (IMHO)

I am not saying that anyone is doing anything wrong. I am just totally confused by this - I hear it all the time and finally wanted to ask how it is even possible to hide all your spending and what is the point. I really do want to understand - I have always wondered about this.

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies who obviously know something that I do not.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

I knew at my second SU workshop (first time I was overwhelmed) that I wanted way more of this than I could afford. So, I signed up to be a demonstrator to get the discount and haven't looked back since. I have been able to totally support my hobby with my earnings. I don't have a lot of extra earned, but I can buy whatever I want out of the catalog with what I make demonstrating. It has been a lot of fun.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Overspending?? No such thing!

We'll welcome to the club baby. Since the end of August I've spent almost $2,000. Now I've become a demo and finally have slacked off buying retired sets. I've weeded out most unless they had something to do with food.

Being a stay at home mom I really shouldn't do it. But SU stamps hold their value. Few hobby items do so I consider this like collecting Hummels they get more valuable with age.

**tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 05:52 PM   #70  
Compulsive Stamper

HaHa!! I totally agree with everyone when they say the spending just keeps getting worse...
The only good thing is (if you have a work room like mine) everything is so piled up that the DH doesn't know what is new and what isn't. He doesn't even want to step in the door because there is no room for him!!
And besides all you have to do if he asks you when you bought that thing, is "What that? I've had that for a while, haven't you seen that yet? HaHaHa!!
Remember, what they don't know won't hurt them..
Happy Stampin..
Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 AM   #71  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by rquave
To those of you who said things about husbands dying if they knew how much you spent - how on earth does he not know? Surely he sees the bills, huh?
Well, my dh doesn't know but I don't think he really cares, he might though, if I told him a dollar amount. I don't think he'd "freak" but he might :shock: And nope he doesn't see our checkbook, but doesn't care either. I pay ALL the bills do all the shopping, etc. He has a debit card and gives me receipts as he uses it (gas, lunch, snacks, etc.) We've been married 10 years and it has always worked this way for us. I do sell quite a bit on ebay as well, so I can always JUSTIFY my purchases that way Although, all the money I spend on my "hobby" doesn't come solely from ebay!! I actually perfer it this way, not so I can "hide" my spending, but I'm a bit of a control freak and dh is very laid back, it works :lol:

Sunshine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlums
And besides all you have to do if he asks you when you bought that thing, is "What that? I've had that for a while, haven't you seen that yet? HaHaHa!!
Remember, what they don't know won't hurt them..
Happy Stampin..
Terri

Try this.....when they say "What's that?" and you say "Haven't you seen that yet?" What you need to do next is say...."Oh honey let me show you what this does!" He will try to get out of there so quick that the price and when no longer matters.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rquave
To those of you who said things about husbands dying if they knew how much you spent - how on earth does he not know?
I have a seperate account for my hobbies and SU. I try to never use our joint funds for stuff. I have though but ask first. I don't tell him the cost unless he asks. He also has his own account for his stuff and sometimes spills over into our joint funds. I don't feel bad about my spending. He bought a $10,000 motorcycle this year. I know I haven't racked up that much money. But I do think he would flip if he knew how much I spent. But I wouldn't be in "trouble". I don't "hide" it. I just don't tell and he doesn't ask.

My husband would never get the catalog and check the prices. He would never take the time out. That kind of sounds a little on the border of being a little controling. Now, if it was affecting our finances and I was buying stuff with bill money..... that would be a problem in anyones house. Hopefully none of us are getting to the point of getting behind on our bills. I try not to even put stuff on my credit card. But I have. Hopefully won't do that anymore.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

Seems like we should rename this thread "how to lie to your husband and get away with it!" <LOL>. I do spend a bit more than I had planned on my stamping hobby, but I am very proud to say that I have never lied to my husband about ANYTHING in over 20 years of marriage. If he asks me if something is new or how much it costs - I tell him. He may not like it and we may have words about it, but at least I don't have the lie on my conscience.

On the other hand, I have had him lie to ME about things he has bought and it really hurts. I found out once that he had bought more than $1,000 worth of stuff behind my back and had been hiding the bills for months. I was so mad I nearly threw him out of the house.

Just my .02 cents worth...

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #75  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to dastamper

Welcome to our new addiction called STAMPING!!!! I sort of took over the living room coffee table even though I have a nice draft table. My husband thinks it is more normal now when I have everything scattered on the carpet, table, and couch then if its clean. I have my moments when I put everything away like today. Initially my husband told me I couldn't spend $60.00 for a SU retreat at a hotel in Hawaii for May. then he heard that my new downline (only one) decided to go to the retreat and he had a change of heart.
My husband just changed the other day about letting me spend our money for SU events although initially I would only use the money I got from the instant income for selling SU products. I just need to have some kind of self-control. By the way I do work full-time, but we are trying to save up to possibly move from hawaii to CA. to think I signed up thinking it would be a few items. Hahaha ;) sorry this was a long message. If we are busy we aren't bugging the husbands to not watch ESPN or be on the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #76  
Embossing Fanatic

I know exactly what you mean. I need to put myself on a spending strike. I keep rationalizing my buying with I haven't had a hobby for 15 years while my DH has spent money on lots of things over that time. Of course, I obviously feel guilt over it when I feel I need to hide something I bought from him. He'd probably kick me out if he knew how much I've spent in the last couple months too.

How very encouraging (not!!) that it doesn't get better. ROFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #77  
Mad Swapper

Welcome to the addiction!!!

It doesn't get any better....PROMISE
Reply With Quote Likes