Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are anyone else's cards...

falling apart with mono adhesive? I have started to have to glue stuff back together with 2-way glue. What's the deal? It used to hold better. I wonder if I got an old batch. It concerns me because if I submit something, by the time it may get published, it might be in eight pieces and my scrapbooks...yikes!!!

Oh, BTW, for those of you who emailed me, and those who didn't too, I've updated my blog. Click below if you'd like to see my cut lil' pumpkin stamp.

Let me know if I'm the only one who if ready to duct tape her cards together.
Gina

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
falling apart with mono adhesive? I have started to have to glue stuff back together with 2-way glue. What's the deal? It used to hold better. I wonder if I got an old batch. It concerns me because if I submit something, by the time it may get published, it might be in eight pieces and my scrapbooks...yikes!!!

Oh, BTW, for those of you who emailed me, and those who didn't too, I've updated my blog. Click below if you'd like to see my cut lil' pumpkin stamp.

Let me know if I'm the only one who if ready to duct tape her cards together.
Gina
"Cute lil' pumpkin stamp." Oh where oh where has that edit button gone, oh where oh where could it be????????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a whole display board fall apart that someone else had made, I thought it was the heat - maybe not

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcbunny
I had a whole display board fall apart that someone else had made, I thought it was the heat - maybe not
Now that would freak me out. Was that the first time something like that ever happened to you?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Yep, it's happened to me. That's why, like so many other SCS'ers, I've switched to Mono Multi. It's a white glue that comes in a triangular green and white bottle. It doesn't buckle paper, at least when you use a thin line from the pen tip end! Also, it gives you a few seconds leeway to position something right- and then it's down, and you're not getting that layer off ever again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh ugh just after I bought the mono adhesive from stampin up yesterday. UGH the search for the perfect adhesive is a pain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecardpixie
Yep, it's happened to me. That's why, like so many other SCS'ers, I've switched to Mono Multi. It's a white glue that comes in a triangular green and white bottle. It doesn't buckle paper, at least when you use a thin line from the pen tip end! Also, it gives you a few seconds leeway to position something right- and then it's down, and you're not getting that layer off ever again!!
Okay, where should I buy that. That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have so many finished products that I am afraid to send at this point.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Rub the layer after adhering. I haven't had a single problem since I started doing this, and I live just a few hours southeast of Hot-lanta, on the swampy, humid coast of Georgia.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Rub the layer after adhering. I haven't had a single problem since I started doing this, and I live just a few hours southeast of Hot-lanta, on the swampy, humid coast of Georgia.
Do you mean with mono adhesive or the new mono multi? I think you mean the adhesive but I want to be sure.
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Okay, where should I buy that. That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have so many finished products that I am afraid to send at this point.

I get mine locally at a retail craft store - Craft Warehouse...but it helps that I work there!! A lot of people have mentioned www.penwa.com as a good online source.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks so much! I'll try around town first.
Thanks for the advice!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Do you mean with mono adhesive or the new mono multi? I think you mean the adhesive but I want to be sure.
Gina
Mono/SNAIL -- that's all I use for adhering cardstock to cardstock. For ribbon or bulkier embellishments, I use the SU! mini glue dots.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I'll try rubbing more. If that doesn't work for me, I'll have to try something else.
Thanks!
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

I'll try rubbing more. If that doesn't work for me, I'll have to try something else. Thanks! Gina
I have started using my brayer to *steam-roller* the layers together. I press down quite hard. I put a sheet of scratch paper over the card (in case there is ink on the brayer).
Also, someone said they really liked the Adhesive-Tech "snail". I got it at Wal-Mart and really like it -- unless, of course, I *want* to take something apart.:oops:
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE my ATG adhesive by 3-M! Those babies are NEVAH going to come apart with this stuff. The "gun" is a little "large" (OK - it seems huge at first), but within a few minutes you feel like you've toted it your whole life. AND your cards will always look beautiful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I gave up on mono a year ago for the same reason - no matter how hard I rubbed to get a good stick it always fell apart. I switched to Duck brand (from Walmart) and love it. Unfortunately, our walmart stopped stocking it. I purchased a case directly from the wholesaler, so I am now well stocked and will never use mono again. I have used the mono multi, and it works, but I am liquid adhesive challenged - always seem to use too much.

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the Mono Multi. I did a search on this site and this came highly recommended. I have used the adhesive and had the same kind of problems. It took a little getting used to...you really don't need a lot at all. I've found mine at JoAnn's. I'm in AK and craft stores are Micheal's, JoAnn's and like 3 scrap/stamp stores. I was so thankful that JoAnn's had it and I didn't have to spend outrageous amounts on shipping for a bottle of glue!!

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the mono multi glue, except for gluing down small items, like letters! Most of the time, I either get it too close to the edge and it leaks out or too far from the edge and edges aren't down all the way. Sometimes if I use too much the glue hardens and the hold card feels stiff.

I also don't like the Mono SU sells. I'm adhesive challenged and constantly on the hunt. I think my next investment will be the 3M ATG glue gun. I picture an AK-47 with streams of glue coming out of it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my ATG Gun for almost everything except really small or thin pieces. I LOVE it - it's not coming apart in this life time! For small and thin pieces, I use the mono multi in the green bottle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #20  
mothermcbride

I think I'll eventually get the ATG gun just 'cause. But, I haven't had trouble with Mono lately. I have had problems in the past though. I use a good bit on the attachement and then put a couple of small lines where I'll be putting the attachment. It's been working great!!! In fact, last week I made a really great card and didn't place my attachment quite right. It was stuck there for good and wouldn't come off with ripping. :( It was very annoying. If the attachement part is kind of heavy, I use a little less Mono and use mini glue dots on the corners.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Hey Gina...TAC sells the mono glue! But I must say it comes out too thick for my taste. I had the same problem with the tape and so when Viking jacked up the prices...I finally switched to glue! The Designer Dries Clear glue gets rave reviews...and if you have time to scoop and smear, YES glue will give you an incredible hold. I personally am a Scotch glue fan. Got some free samples from Michaels...then found a try-it free rebate/bottle at AC Moore...and now I pay to use it because it goes on thin, quick and holds wonderfully! I must admit though that I normally press the card under a stack of magazines for atleast 5 min. to give it that nice firm hold while it sets...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I love Hermafix removable roller glue. Any excess rubs off easily and I haven't had any problems with things coming unstuck (when you don't want them to!) Pieces can be repositioned until you are happy with the placement and then you just press down firmly and it's STUCK.
Uh oh, I thought it was from the US, but I've just checked a refill and it's manufactured in Germany. Having mentioned it, I hope you guys can get it over there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecardpixie
Love the Mono Multi. In fact, I messed up on a card(after the fact) and couldn't PULL the layers apart! Now that is sticking!:p Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 04:27 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I recently purchased a new tape runner by Thermo-Web.. I have had no problems with the 'fall apart' I'm on my last mono refill, and I can't make myself waste it so I use it on little things like dd glitter.. LOL I also stock up on sticky strip when I can get it cheap.. OOO I have also tried the Creative memories photo splits, I used them to make wedding invitations for someone and there were NO problems.

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 04:27 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even waste money on SNAIL anymore! Go straight for the Mono Multi or Scotch Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive. They are both AMAZING!

I don't care if you rub until you hit bone, your card WILL call apart with SNAIL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 04:28 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaswife
Love the Mono Multi. In fact, I messed up on a card(after the fact) and couldn't PULL the layers apart! Now that is sticking!:p Denise

Yes, as a matter of fact-- my toes are blue and I do have a tatoo..LOLOL couldn't resist folks.. have a great day tho

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 04:42 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

A lot of mine have fallen apart also. Not really crazy about the mono. I love the tape runner from xyron but you do not get much in there. I have been using photo squares which are a little time consuming but work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 04:57 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Not to hijack - or start something ugly - but I notice that a lot of folks who complain about the snail are SU demos. Have you all registered your displeasure in the product with dealer support (I assume that's what it's called)? I assume that the requirement to demo with SU products - which you don't care to use personally - puts you in an awkward situation...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I just had that happen, I have always liked the mono, but wow, it doesn't do any good anymore....everything falls off anymore.....

UGH! that USED to be a good adhesive.....:(

At least I am not alone on this issue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

I use scotch double sided tape....it does a great job! I'm curious about the thermo-web tape runner....I'll have to see if J's or M's carrys it and try it out on a coupon. Thanks for starting this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

I use the Scotch Brand. I have the Tape Runner and the Quick Dry Tacky and have very good results with both. I have never had anything fall apart since I have used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

another ATG owner here...I haven't picked up my mono since I got my ATG...nothing falls apart (even in the sweaty south of humid alabama)... I have the 714 which is the same width as the mono so I can use it on thin pieces also...love it!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:33 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started using Mono Multi about 3 months ago and I LOVE it! I'll never use anything else again. I love that it's so permanent, no worries about cards falling apart a few months or years down the road. When I used the Mono tape, the cards usually start to come apart after a month (or sooner). I saw that JoAnn's carries the Mono Multi for $3.49. I got mine from Penwa.com 10 of them for $26 ($19 plus shipping). Next time I'll order it from scrapbookpal.com - it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I started using double sided tape at least a year ago - nothing is falling apart. Cards that I have received from friends that use mono sometimes come in pieces. Mono is so easy to use - I wish they could make it stick more like double sided tape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #35  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, i sstarted having unstick issues abiout a yr ago, so I've been using herma dotto, but I think I'll invest in some multi after reading its praises. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

I have started rubbing mine after puting layers together and it seem to be working better..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have never had good luck with the Mono. I use CM's tape runner exclusively. Works like a dream and it is one of the few items that I still purchase from CM. I would be lost without it!

My Blog:
Sentiments by Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Now that would freak me out. Was that the first time something like that ever happened to you?

It was the first time it happened - I wonder if the quality or Tombow has changed

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, I also had problems using SU liquid glue, so I've given up on SU adhesive. I have found that scotch fdouble side tape works good, as well as my Xyron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkirk
I had the same problem, I also had problems using SU liquid glue, so I've given up on SU adhesive. I have found that scotch fdouble side tape works good, as well as my Xyron.
now see...the SU! liquid adhesive to me is as good a hold as my ATG as long as I use it wet. If I wait too long to let it adhere then it doesn't hold as well....

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes