Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bisters

I saw a card with a beautifuly watercolor looking background using "Bisters." What are bisters?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly a typo for misters, which are little mini spray bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They're like a chunky powder dye...they are beautiful but oh boy they can be sooo messy!! Like you should don a haz mat suit and use only in a plastic sheet enclosed area. hahaha
My friend sent me some and as I was trying to label them by color, I dropped one...they were in little tiny ziplocks...this one was open and it spewed dye all over my floor. "No biggy" I thought, it isn't wet. Ha!
If I tried to clean it up dry, it just floated everywhere....so I used wet paper towels...that's how I found out the bister color was RED! Oh my, what a mess I had. Used almost a whole roll of paper towels cleaning up that mess. Haven't had the courage to open another one to experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Near as I can tell, "bisters" and "bistres" and "brushos" are all names for the same thing - dye powders that you mist with water directly on the project, or mix with water on a palette to paint with. The video on this page shows a bit about them: Brusho� Secrets by Joanne Boon Thomas

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Ken Oliver's Color Burst look like a much neater, but similar, product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqXcPn1tbic

Projects on his blog, too: Ken's World in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Bister and Brushos can be use the same but they are not the same product. I just taught a couple of classes and I love them. Yes they are messy.

Both are watercolor crystals/powders that react with water. You can use them just like any other watercolor medium but the fun is letting them do what they want for spectacular blending results.

Bister is made from walnut shells and give a darker color. Brushos have clear bright colors.

I tested on a variety of papers and found that you can use 140lb watercolor paper, canvas paper, and the specialty Bister paper with each paper giving slightly different results. They also work great on canvas.

Both Bister and Brusho are very affordable because a little goes a long way and you don't need any special equipment.

If you are OCD neat or are a control freak, these products will force you to get over it because you Do Not really control them unless you are using them like a conventional watercolor.

Here a just a couple of my class samples. I have oodles of samples that I've made because I've become addicted.
Attached Thumbnails
Bisters-dscn2349.jpg   Bisters-dscn2355.jpg   Bisters-dscn2351.jpg   Bisters-dscn2352.jpg   Bisters-bister-daisies_pink.jpg  

Bisters-brusho-wall-hanging.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,134 Likes on 511 Posts

Thanks for the info about the bister! I've only seen European stampers using it.

Brusho has 8 new colors that are much more earthy - yellow greens and browns - I love them.

I have a set of Ken Oliver's Color Burst that I have been playing with for an upcoming retreat - the effect is very similar. The main difference seems to be the bottle format, so I ordered some fine-tipped dropper bottles to see if they'll work for my Brusho colors - the little nozzle is easier to control than a pot with a hole in the top! There are so many applications for this type of medium - dyeing, spraying, sprinkling, painting, backgrounds... lots of fun.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Thanks for the info about the bister! I've only seen European stampers using it.

Brusho has 8 new colors that are much more earthy - yellow greens and browns - I love them.

I have a set of Ken Oliver's Color Burst that I have been playing with for an upcoming retreat - the effect is very similar. The main difference seems to be the bottle format, so I ordered some fine-tipped dropper bottles to see if they'll work for my Brusho colors - the little nozzle is easier to control than a pot with a hole in the top! There are so many applications for this type of medium - dyeing, spraying, sprinkling, painting, backgrounds... lots of fun.
Oh I so hope that this is what you're teaching at the Great Yosemite Stamp Escape. We've been going to the retreat for many years and when I saw that you were one of our instructors I was super happy.

I just ordered one of Ken's Color Burst colors so I could compare his bottles. For my classes I made sets of colors for the class using makeup shaker jars and it worked out really good. You can shake it out or pick up a few grains. For myself, I tried the method of poking a hole in the original jar of Brusho but if they tip over that powder goes everywhere. I put color name labels on the side of the jars and on the top so they could put a spot of color since you can't tell the actual color of the product by the color of the powders. An orange looking powder could be green.

Another fun project is to take the paper towels you use to blot the liquid, attach it cardstock and make paper flowers with stunning colors. Also try it with bleach. It's amazing either by painting the bleach or spraying it to remove colors.

I've attached my color chart - it's better to color on watercolor paper and then cut the sample and attach to the chart. I think I have all the colors but I need to check to see what I'm missing.

I've also attached my cheat sheet for my class that has some ideas/facts about brusho & bister.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I'm really having a lot of fun with these products. :-D
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bister_brusho_keeda_color chart.pdf (178.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: pdf Blister_Brusho class.pdf (86.6 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I had a hard time finding them in stock. They're in stock here.
Color Burst- From Ken Oliver Crafts - The Doodlebug, Inc
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Bister and Brushos can be use the same but they are not the same product. I just taught a couple of classes and I love them. Yes they are messy.

Both are watercolor crystals/powders that react with water. You can use them just like any other watercolor medium but the fun is letting them do what they want for spectacular blending results.

Bister is made from walnut shells and give a darker color. Brushos have clear bright colors.

I tested on a variety of papers and found that you can use 140lb watercolor paper, canvas paper, and the specialty Bister paper with each paper giving slightly different results. They also work great on canvas.

Both Bister and Brusho are very affordable because a little goes a long way and you don't need any special equipment.

If you are OCD neat or are a control freak, these products will force you to get over it because you Do Not really control them unless you are using them like a conventional watercolor.

Here a just a couple of my class samples. I have oodles of samples that I've made because I've become addicted.
OMG, your samples are spectacular! I'm so happy you posted these. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with Anne - your samples are fantastic! Please don't post any more - I don't need another addiction... (just kidding, of course - I'd love to see more ;))

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #12  

I got mine from Doodlebug too. They are a bit slow getting out to distributors, but should be popping up soon. YES, that's what I'm teaching at GYSE! Working on my kits this week, since we'll be traveling for most of April.

I'm not really pleased with the "poke a hole in the lid" method either, though I did that... I guess having lived in a high-humidity area for years, I'm worried they will start clumping, and of course there's the issue you mentioned with tipping.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #13  

Here are my initial pieces done with the Color Burst - the tags have taken a few more layers since this photo - it was a teaser on Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Bisters-img_0405.jpg   Bisters-img_0411.jpg  
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Here are my initial pieces done with the Color Burst - the tags have taken a few more layers since this photo - it was a teaser on Facebook.
Dina, yours are so beautiful. The colors are so vibrant and your creative use is to die for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Dina, love your samples. Can't wait for GYSE. It's a wonderful event and we have some much fun. Sharon puts on an excellent event.

Anne & Sue, glad you like my samples.

Warning...Warning...enabler is on the loose. Sorry but I had to post more as I'm in a mischievous mood today.

If you decide to get some I do feel that a warning is in order. Several of the Brusho Colors are very similar and you can mix colors. The assorted sets of 8 & 12 give the widest selection but you do get some almost duplicate colors. For example their isn't much difference between lemon and yellow. Brusho doesn't have a pink. Bisters are all dark and muted, but beautiful. I'm looking forward to using the Color Burst to see how the colors differ. A little powder goes a long long way. I'm thinking it will be years before I need to replace any of them.

The 3-d flower is made from the paper towels I used to blot the extra ink.
The first flower in the set with the butterfly used peel off stickers. You put the sticker on the paper, apply the color crystals and then pull the sticker off so you can see the white paper underneath.
The cream colored flowers on the kindness card were bleached out after apply the Brusho. The raindrops were also bleached.
Attached Thumbnails
Bisters-dscn2372.jpg   Bisters-dscn2371.jpg   Bisters-dscn2370.jpg   Bisters-dscn2369.jpg   Bisters-dscn2368.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I Brake for Stamps shows bisters on their website:

I Brake for Stamps E-Commerce Website - BISTER

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #17  

Ohhhmygoodness, with the bleach is so coooooollll..........
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I got mine from Doodlebug too. They are a bit slow getting out to distributors, but should be popping up soon. YES, that's what I'm teaching at GYSE! Working on my kits this week, since we'll be traveling for most of April.

I'm not really pleased with the "poke a hole in the lid" method either, though I did that... I guess having lived in a high-humidity area for years, I'm worried they will start clumping, and of course there's the issue you mentioned with tipping.
What is GYSE? Is It an event in Northern CA, & can anyone come?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
What is GYSE? Is It an event in Northern CA, & can anyone come?
It's the Great Yosemite Stamp Escape hosted by the Cat's Meow LSS in Oakhurst. It open to the public but it's already closed enrollment for this year. There are 100 participant that move in groups between 4 instructors so there are 25 people in a group. Sharon (the LSS owner) find great instructors. This year we are blessed we Dina - woo hoo! We also get Angelica from Heartfelt Creations, we had Memory Box, Art Impressions will be this here this year, and so many more I just can't recall.

Subscribe to her newsletter and you'll get the announcement. It's become so popular that we start signing up in November for the next year's Escape and we put in our hotel registration when we check out each year.

The training is fast pace as it's for intermediate and above stampers (i.e. they assume you know how to stamp, cut, color, etc.). The instructors pack a lot knowledge into sessions and you come back with amazing projects. Oh and you get to shop. The LSS is great and all of the products you use in the sessions are available to purchase. I spent over $500 (ahem maybe close to $700) because there are so many wonderful things to buy. We swap ATC, there are make 'n take sessions, and an amazing raffle where everyone brings a new item that is split between 3 baskets. The large basket is usually around $700 value.

People come from all over the US to attend. You have to check it out.

edit - it's held at Bass Lake a nice quaint resort near Yosemite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
I Brake for Stamps shows bisters on their website:

I think they are the only supplier in the US - at least they were when I bought mine. Check out the stampinback stamps. I love the flora set (Floral Half Sheet 148A and 148B).

Dina - the upside of using bleach is it smells like you cleaned house. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

It's the Great Yosemite Stamp Escape hosted by the Cat's Meow LSS in Oakhurst. It open to the public but it's already closed enrollment for this year. There are 100 participant that move in groups between 4 instructors so there are 25 people in a group. Sharon (the LSS owner) find great instructors. This year we are blessed we Dina - woo hoo! We also get Angelica from Heartfelt Creations, we had Memory Box, Art Impressions will be this here this year, and so many more I just can't recall.

Subscribe to her newsletter and you'll get the announcement. It's become so popular that we start signing up in November for the next year's Escape and we put in our hotel registration when we check out each year.

The training is fast pace as it's for intermediate and above stampers (i.e. they assume you know how to stamp, cut, color, etc.). The instructors pack a lot knowledge into sessions and you come back with amazing projects. Oh and you get to shop. The LSS is great and all of the products you use in the sessions are available to purchase. I spent over $500 (ahem maybe close to $700) because there are so many wonderful things to buy. We swap ATC, there are make 'n take sessions, and an amazing raffle where everyone brings a new item that is split between 3 baskets. The large basket is usually around $700 value.

People come from all over the US to attend. You have to check it out.

edit - it's held at Bass Lake a nice quaint resort near Yosemite.
WOW, that's too bad I would love to come & meet everyone. If you remember let me know so I can sign up next year. I know exactly where Bass lake is. I've rode my Harley up there many times, it's a beautiful ride. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

WOW, that's too bad I would love to come & meet everyone. If you remember let me know so I can sign up next year. I know exactly where Bass lake is. I've rode my Harley up there many times, it's a beautiful ride. Thanks!
I would love to meet you but I have to be honest about trying to remember to remind you - I'll probably forget! Are you in No. Cal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

"Subscribe to her newsletter and you'll get the announcement"
Whose newsletter?? This sounds like a great vacation for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
"Subscribe to her newsletter and you'll get the announcement"
Whose newsletter?? This sounds like a great vacation for next year!
The sponsor of the event - LSS Cat's Meow -the link to the GYSE in my post will take you to this year's event page and you can track that back to the store's homepage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I purchased the Brusho 24 set through Dick Blick last October,it is fabulous! The colors are luscious. Brushos have been around in Britain for decades apparently even used in schools. They are new to the US.I fell in love with them after seeing Hermine Kloster's work on the Viva Las Vegas website. If you search on Pinterest for Brushos or Bister Cards or Tutorials you will find many examples of how beautiful the colors are,very radiant and intense. I think you can now order them from Amazon too. I also ordered the Bister 8 color set from Brake for Stamps the colors are muted whereas the Brushos are vibrant. The Bister set came in very small containers compared to the amount in the Brusho containers. I think the Brushos will last a very long time and I would recommend them to everyone who likes Mixed Media.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #26  

Just for fun... I liked the bottle system of the Color Burst product, so I transferred my Brusho powders to eye dropper bottles that I got on ebay - so much easier to control this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Bisters-img_5552.jpg   Bisters-img_5548.jpg  
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Just for fun... I liked the bottle system of the Color Burst product, so I transferred my Brusho powders to eye dropper bottles that I got on ebay - so much easier to control this way.
Oh no! Just when I think I'm not ordering anything else. OMG, I just finished playing with the Color Burst, and it's amazing. They're a little pricey for 8ml compared to Brusho powders 15ml, but I am not sorry I purchased them. I paid a lot more for purchases I made and didn't end up liking in the end. Dick Blick was out of stock until April, but I found the 24 color set on eBay. I figured the cost to be only slightly more considering shipping and tax. I haven't received them yet, but tracking shows they're due to arrive by Friday. I must be good and stay away from the buy button, after I get the droppers of course 😄.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I would love to meet you but I have to be honest about trying to remember to remind you - I'll probably forget! Are you in No. Cal?
I'm in Central CA. We must in the future try to get together. Just PM me when you're headed south, and we'll plan on lunch or dinner somewhere, I don't mind driving, but can't be too far away from home until my DH is able to stay alone or I can have his friend stay with him while I'm away. Don't worry about reminding me I totally understand.:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 04:37 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I'm in Central CA. We must in the future try to get together. Just PM me when you're headed south, and we'll plan on lunch or dinner somewhere, I don't mind driving, but can't be too far away from home until my DH is able to stay alone or I can have his friend stay with him while I'm away. Don't worry about reminding me I totally understand.:cool:
I'll let you know for sure :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

On Friday I received the one bottle of Color Burst I ordered and I like that bottle. I wanted to see if their red was a close to pink because that is the one color that Brusho doesn't have. If I hadn't bought all the other jars I think I would prefer your solution. Rats! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #31  

I wonder if mixing red and white powders would make a satisfactory pink... I may have to try it.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I wonder if mixing red and white powders would make a satisfactory pink... I may have to try it.
If it works for you let me know because I tried and all I got was mauve when I wanted a nice bright pink. The closest I got to pink was using 2-3 grains of red. I finally gave up out of frustration
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

If it works for you let me know because I tried and all I got was mauve when I wanted a nice bright pink. The closest I got to pink was using 2-3 grains of red. I finally gave up out of frustration
Would mixing just a speck of ultramarine blue to tone the mauve down in the mixture help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #34  

I'd like a nice bright magenta, actually. Wish I had time and space to play!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Would mixing just a speck of ultramarine blue to tone the mauve down in the mixture help?
I'll give it a try but it might be a hit and miss because ultramarine has a lot of purple in it so with my luck I'd get lavender :p

Magenta would be heaven. I wonder why there isn't a pink? Maybe they couldn't figure it out either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Placed an order for the ColorBursts from Doodlebug.com this morning -- and they shipped already! Can't wait to get them to play. Ken's video was great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 214 Likes on 192 Posts

I just got Bister last week and LOVE!! them. Super easy and fun to play with. I haven't found them to be that messy at all. You can also paint with them.
I got mine here:

I also just ordered Brusho from Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Karen, nice job on your card. Bisters, color bursts, and Brusho are just water color only in crystal form so anything you would do with water color you can do with them.

Glad you didn't have a mess but for me and every one that I know personally that uses them finds the crystals in odd places just like embossing powder. I haven't played with the crystals in a few days and I found one spec of turquoise on a project where I was using modeling paste. It seems they have a mind of their own : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #39  

Hahaa! Yes, just you wait, Karen Dunbrook!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Hahaa! Yes, just you wait, Karen Dunbrook!
Karen love your card, and can't wait to see more. I just love playing with Color Birsts, and can't wait until the Brusho set arrives. The funny thing is the colors make me happy! They're so bright and vivid they brighten my day. Now ask me if mine are ever going to rise to the spectular stage, probably not. So I'm depending on you, Dini, and StampHappy to handle the spectacular end, while I just play in color bliss!.
Reply With Quote Likes