Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #281  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5*momView Post
For those who have the button die for the Big Shot, are you having trouble with the "foam" part rubbing off and the paper getting stuck in the die? Do I have a reject or is that normal?
You should only be cutting one sheet of paper at a time with sizzlet dies. They arent made to cut through thick items.

If it's doing that with only one sheet you may need to call DS.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #282  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not just you! There have been a couple other reports of the foam coming off when that die is run thru the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #283  

Updated the first post with more video and photo tutorials for the Basket & Blooms die and Pennant Die Exclusively from SU!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #284  
Rubber Obsessor

This is an aswesome thread.
Thanks for all the great info!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #285  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Fantastic thread!

Want to see the rest of My Gallery?

Check out the Creative Crew for some great Stampin' Up inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #286  

Updated the first post with a link on how to emboss with Brass stencils like SU classy brass in the Big Shot.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #287  
Kookie Creator

I have ordered my BS but it's on back order. I did receive all the other pieces but just noticed that it doesn't have the multipurpose platform and standard cutting pads. It wasn't listed on my order either.

Does anyone know if these items arrive with the BS or should I be calling SU to get them shipped out?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #288  

I checked out the SU website the standard cutting pads and multipurpose platform come with the Big Shot. So no need to call SU you will be getting it with the machine. You'll love it and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #289  
Kookie Creator

Thank you very much for the info Wendy, now all I have to do is wait patiently for my BS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #290  
Embossing Fanatic

Default big shot dies in red sizzix machine

do the big shot dies fit in the red sizzix machine?
I want to purchase the baskets and blooms die and cannot afford the big shot machine yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #291  

SIZZIX DIE COMPATIBILITY

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the original Red Sizzix machine EXCEPT for the Bigz, Bigz XL, Decorative Strip Dies, and dies marked "Roller Machine Only"

*All Sizzix Brand Dies will work in the Big Kick Machine

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the Cuttlebug HOWEVER your Cuttlebug opening MUST be at least 6 inches wide for the Bigz or Bigz XL to fit through the opening. You can break your plates when using Steel Rule Dies such as the Bigz, Bigz XL dies in your cuttlebug. These dies were made to be exclusive to the Big Kick and Big Shot Machine Only.

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the Spellbinders Wizard

* Sizzix brand dies will not work in the Quickutz Revolution

I just updated this info in the very first post

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 10-18-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #292  
Cardstock Collector

Default Big Shot Pillow Box Die Problems

I have the pillow box die and the short end flap seems to always pop out above the larger flap. I have used the pouch box pattern and both end flaps were the same size and always seemed to stay shut when folded down. Has anyone else experienced this same problem with the new die? I don't think the folding crease pad will fix the problem, I think the design is a problem. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #293  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarystampingmomView Post
SIZZIX DIE COMPATIBILITY

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the original Red Sizzix machine EXCEPT for the Bigz and Bigz XL

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
I have a customer who has the original Red Sizzix machine and she wanted to buy the Sizzix Go Go Boots alpha set and SU is selling. Right on the die set it says "For Roller Machines Only". I also called Sizzix Customer Service and they said the same thing. The die-hards (no pun intended!) that we are, we tried it on the original Red machine with the convertor and no shims/various shims and it would not cut through. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #294  

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankergypsieView Post
I have a customer who has the original Red Sizzix machine and she wanted to buy the Sizzix Go Go Boots alpha set and SU is selling. Right on the die set it says "For Roller Machines Only". I also called Sizzix Customer Service and they said the same thing. The die-hards (no pun intended!) that we are, we tried it on the original Red machine with the convertor and no shims/various shims and it would not cut through. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions here?
I'm so sorry! I just verified that as well see this post I'm going to update right now!

Ahhh. Good question. Roll through machines maintain and distribute pressure more consistently than press type machines when you go over a certain size threshold.

With a press tool, you are generating pressure intermittently and only at certain points. This works out just fine when you are talking thick, steel rule dies or are using small dies that get cut in one press.

I won't bore you with the physics formula. (Too early on a Sunday) It has to do with the distribution of energy in a more efficient manner.

Forgot to answer the part about buying another machine. Yep....you'll need another machine to make those long dies work for you. It can be as inexpensive as a Cuttlekids machine (under $20) and a pair of 13" Sidekick mats. A Sidekick would also do the trick and is a LOT smoother to use. You can usually find one on clearance. Please note: Cuttlekid mats don't work with low profile dies, that's why you need the extended Sidekick mats. Cuttlekid mats are great for small to medium wafer thin dies in that machine (although it is not easy to cut cardstock with that gadget!).

Or (please don't hate me for saying this)...Look at the bigger picture and bite the bullet and save up and get an upgrade. If you have been happy with the Sizzix brand, you may just want to consider their Big Shot or Big Kick. Of course, there are other machines on the market (ahem--but you know what they are ;)). Getting a more current standard size machine will allow you to use the larger dies (more selection). You can sometimes find the older colors of either model (BS/BK) on sale/clearance.

Hugs,

Jane in San Diego

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #295  

Default Types of personal dies--trouble shooting ('the usual suspects')

From Jane in San Diego
Some of you may have noticed that at the end of my explanation of basic die families that I was kind of vague ;) While the same sandwich will work most of the time across brands for the same family of die, you will run into problems sometimes.

Here are some of the most common problems, their possible causes and some fixes to try regardless of the brand of machine you are using. Try to use a bit of caution and start out loose and work your way through the problem. I really don't want anybody breaking their machine(s)!

1) Problem: Die doesn't cut all the way through.

Possible causes: Slight variation in thickness of the die; uneven cutting mats; cutting mat too soft; material too dense.

Possible solutions: Shimming with tape or paper usually solves the majority of issues relating to dies that don't cut all the way. It can be as thin as one sheet of copy paper on the back of the die to bulk up the stack. Do not shim too much! If you overdo it, you could damage the die or break your machine. If you can't get a die to cut after about 3 pieces of cardstock shim, look for another root cause.

If you have old cutting mats or your mats have warped, you may need to replace them or put them under some weight to help even them out.

If you have a soft cutting mat, you may need to create/buy a harder mat. Clear acrylic mats are the hardest cutting surface available to the home crafter at this time. Sometimes dies will 'mush' instead of cut when the mat is soft, leaving you with an outline or emboss instead of a cut.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the machines have 'sweet spots' that have more pressure between the rollers. This varies with the different machines. Know where that area is and try to process/position the die so it will pass through that section of the rollers.

Finally, be sure you are not going beyond the capability of the die you are using. For example, Sizzlet dies are not rated to cut through chipboard, so don't be disappointed when it doesn't. Use a different material.

2) Problem: Creases on some dies cut through instead of making a fold line.

Possible cause: Cutting mat too hard; stack too tight; material being cut too thin or 'acceptable' manufacturing variance in the die.

Possible solutions: If you get cuts on a die that is supposed to crease (like an envelope or folder design), your cutting mat could be too hard. Some manufacturers make 'crease pads' or you can make one up by using a self-healing craft mat cut to size and then shim if needed.

If your stack is too tight, try an alternate sandwich if one is available for your machine.

If you are using a delicate material (thin vellum), consider buffering the material with scrap pieces of printer paper.

If it is a manufacturing variance in the die, see if you can return the die and try another one to see if it works better.

3) Problem: Die is too long for machine mats.

Possible cause: Manufacturer has not come out with mats in support of longer/larger formats.

Possible solutions: Wait. Most manufacturers will eventually come up with supporting mats and pads to 'keep up with the Joneses'. Otherwise, you can sometime subsitute mats from other brands or make your own by improvising with bookboard and self-healing craft mats.

Another solution is just to run the die through as many times as needed to get the job done. Just shift the position of the die on each pass, making sure you don't move the paper/stock when you shift.

Hope that helps! Sometimes you can't see the problem with the naked eye. The variance could be so slight that it is literally just a 'hair' off that will make the difference between having a die work perfectly or not at all.

Hugs,

Jane in San Diego

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 10-18-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #296  
Mad Swapper

Wow - we are so lucky here at SCS to have such talented, knowledgeable people. I so appreciate your input and your willingness to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #297  
Mad Swapper

I haven't seen this question/answer anywhere, but I apologize in advance if it's already come up!!

Can you cut through acetate using the big shot? It seems to cut through everything else, so I don't see why you couldn't. I'm getting a big shot for my birthday on 10/23, so I figured I'd ask before I try to cut acetate and mess something up!! Thank you in advance!!!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #298  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05View Post
I haven't seen this question/answer anywhere, but I apologize in advance if it's already come up!!

Can you cut through acetate using the big shot? It seems to cut through everything else, so I don't see why you couldn't. I'm getting a big shot for my birthday on 10/23, so I figured I'd ask before I try to cut acetate and mess something up!! Thank you in advance!!!
I used acetate with my Big Shot to make my die cut sampler. It makes it easier for using them as stencils too.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #299  
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motherof6View Post
I used acetate with my Big Shot to make my die cut sampler. It makes it easier for using them as stencils too.
Awesome... Thanks!!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #300  
Stampin' Fool

I searched this whole thread, but didn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it. Will the decorative strips cut chipboard or vinyl?

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #301  

Quote:

Originally Posted by shecooksView Post
I searched this whole thread, but didn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it. Will the decorative strips cut chipboard or vinyl?
Nope only the Steel Rule Dies like the Originals or Bigz

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #302  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwenkerView Post
I have the pillow box die and the short end flap seems to always pop out above the larger flap. I have used the pouch box pattern and both end flaps were the same size and always seemed to stay shut when folded down. Has anyone else experienced this same problem with the new die? I don't think the folding crease pad will fix the problem, I think the design is a problem. Any thoughts?
I would call Sizzix and see if it is indeed a manufacture issue.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #303  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05View Post

Just want to point out that only the STEEL RULE DIES will cut through a thicker variety of materials. Originals, Bigz, Bigz XL.

The sizzlets and Decorative strips will not.

Remember it all depends on what type of die you are using.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #304  
Matboard Maniac

Default i'm so confused, someone break it down for me

i looked at some of these pages yesterday since my brand new big shot came in the mail and there is sooo much info. I'm sure it is on here somewhere, but could someone give me a quick answer......I saw reference to the texturez starter kit, the silicone rubber mat, the premium crease pad....could someone tell me what goes with what? in what instance do you need each of these items? Do you only need the silicone and texturez pad for embossing? is that only for embossing the sizzix texturez plates or do you also need the same for nesties and embossing templates? when would you use the premium crease pad?
sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before, but help!!!
thanx
tracyg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #305  
Matboard Maniac

Default and somemore questions

do the bigz dies go on/fit the multipurpose platform or is there another set of plates and platforms to buy?
tracyg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 AM   #306  
Matboard Maniac

Default when using the xl dies, do they go thru the machine

between the 2 clear acrylic pads only or is there a platform needed. I keep looking on the sizzix site and don't see a longer platform (the white part?)
am I missing it somewhere?
tracyg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #307  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TracygView Post
i looked at some of these pages yesterday since my brand new big shot came in the mail and there is sooo much info. I'm sure it is on here somewhere, but could someone give me a quick answer......I saw reference to the texturez starter kit, the silicone rubber mat, the premium crease pad....could someone tell me what goes with what? in what instance do you need each of these items? Do you only need the silicone and texturez pad for embossing? is that only for embossing the sizzix texturez plates or do you also need the same for nesties and embossing templates? when would you use the premium crease pad?
sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before, but help!!!
thanx
tracyg
Good Morning!

Ok here's the breakdown

You use the impressions pad and silicone rubber mat when using the Texture Plates. The sandwich is listed on your MPP (Multipurpose Platform) or you can print of the PDF file that I have listed in the First post in this thread.

If you want to EMBOSS your Nesties you can use the Silicone rubber mat for that also. The sandwich is also listed in the PDF file!

Also if you want to cut and emboss your nestabilites in ONE pass see this blog
Indigo Inklings

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 10-30-2008 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #308  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TracygView Post
do the bigz dies go on/fit the multipurpose platform or is there another set of plates and platforms to buy? When using the XL dies do they go through the machine between the 2 clear acrylic pads only or is there a platform needed. I keep looking on the sizzix site and don't see a longer platform (the white part?) am I missing it somewhere? tracyg
When using an Original, Bigz or Bigz XL die you do not need the MPP (Multipurpose Platform)

Sandwich is from bottom up

Cutting Pad
Die Blade side up
Paper
Cutting Pad
Roll through Big Shot

For the XL dies same sandwich but you use the Extended Cutting Pads
Extended Cutting Pad
Die Blade side Up
Paper
Extended Cutting Pad
Roll through Big Shot

clear as mud?

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #309  
Kookie Creator

I just got my BS last night too - I'm so excited. I was a bit alarmed when the die also cut into the cutting pad... is this normal?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #310  
Inking Addict

Oh YES!!!! it is very normal. I've had mine for about 3 years now and the cutting pads are "well Loved". I have had the same cutting pads. If they bend too much in one direction, just flip them over to reverse the distortion.

Hope you enjoy your Big Shot. I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #311  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailbelindaView Post
I just got my BS last night too - I'm so excited. I was a bit alarmed when the die also cut into the cutting pad... is this normal?

Thanks
SAME HERE! I just got mine yesterday and made my first die cut just a few minutes ago . . . I was alarmed too when I saw a perfect scallop on the cutting pad. Of course, I came right here to SCS and found this thread . . . thank you so much for this!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #312  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #313  
Kookie Creator

love that i can use the big shot/stampin up dies in my cuttlebug!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #314  

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrleataView Post
love that i can use the big shot/stampin up dies in my cuttlebug!!!
Yes but be careful! Many people have broken bugs and plates when using the XL dies.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #315  
Kookie Creator

so far so good! i will watch out and be careful though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #316  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile homemade magnetic mat for nestabilities

I totally felt like MacGyver yesterday. Firstly, I don't have the Big Shot but I have the Cuttlebug and I LOVE all the new dies from Stampin Up! Anywho... I wanted to have a magnetic mat for my nestibilities so I could create a perfect scallop frame. I used one of those magnetic photo sleeves (that I got 2 for 50cents at some sale a year ago!). I also store the nestabilities sets on the magnetic piece in a cd case. Just wanted to share in case anyone wanted to play MacGyver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #317  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Question Decorative Strip Dies

Can two Decorative Strip Dies be put through a Big Kick at the same time -- side-by-side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #318  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile SU mini envelopes in the Big Shot

Use your Big Shot to emboss the image of the mini envelopes:

You know that template that has something like 5 mini envelopes that you trace and then cut out made by Stampin Up? Well I cut the template up-into 5 little templates. I could have then simply traced the border of each template but NO... I decided to send it through my Cuttlebug (I'm holding out....) (in otherwords through your Big Shot).... and voila, the envelope image is embossed on the card stock. I get out the old scissors and cut out the envelope.

But wait there's more! I then pulled out my scallop edge punch and punched the folding down lip and it almost looked like the extremely cute envelope die cut that SU offers in their Big Shot gear. So cute!

(oh, and I totally found another thread about the magnetic sheets somewhere else on splitcoast... so I'm embarrassed how my MacGyver moment wasn't all that revealing.)

Anywho... hope this idea helps... so you can use your Big Shot (Cuttlebug, etc) for all your plastic template sheets. No more tracing! Yeah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #319  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocForHelpView Post

You know that template that has something like 5 mini envelopes that you trace and then cut out made by Stampin Up? Well I cut the template up-into 5 little templates. I could have then simply traced the border of each template but NO... I decided to send it through my Cuttlebug (I'm holding out....) (in otherwords through your Big Shot).... and voila, the envelope image is embossed on the card stock. I get out the old scissors and cut out the envelope.

But wait there's more! I then pulled out my scallop edge punch and punched the folding down lip and it almost looked like the extremely cute envelope die cut that SU offers in their Big Shot gear. So cute!

(oh, and I totally found another thread about the magnetic sheets somewhere else on splitcoast... so I'm embarrassed how my MacGyver moment wasn't all that revealing.)

Anywho... hope this idea helps... so you can use your Big Shot (Cuttlebug, etc) for all your plastic template sheets. No more tracing! Yeah!
This is awesome! I, too, would love to know about how to sandwich it in the Big Shot.TFS!!
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #320  
Scrappy Chef

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocForHelpView Post

This is great! Thanks for sharing this idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes