Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Electric Big Shot

After 10 years my Big Shot Express is dieing.

Should I get the Big Shot Express or a Vagabond?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anything about the Big Shot Express, but I have the original Vagabond and LOVE it. I have never had a problem with it. I would replace it with the same if anything happened to it....although I am somewhat negative about Sizzix lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

If you want more ideas, do a search in this forum on "electronic die cutting" and on "gemini". That should bring up several threads with people sharing info on what they have, what they like and don't.
Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you definitely only open to one company or are you not aware that other companies make electronic die cutting machines as well. I don't have electronic but maybe others can give some suggestions if you are interested. Sorry your machine is dying, picking a new one is so hard because we use it so much & get very attached.

fyi, some of us are boycotting Sizzix which may be why you are not getting many responses to your question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Are you definitely only open to one company or are you not aware that other companies make electronic die cutting machines as well. I don't have electronic but maybe others can give some suggestions if you are interested. Sorry your machine is dying, picking a new one is so hard because we use it so much & get very attached.

fyi, some of us are boycotting Sizzix which may be why you are not getting many responses to your question.
I'm aware of others but I have all the "extras" for the Big Shot. Size and weight are also a consideration for me. Doing a little more research.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I'm aware of others but I have all the "extras" for the Big Shot. Size and weight are also a consideration for me. Doing a little more research.
I was just going to post that if size a factor, comparing may help. Plus if you plan on moving it.

I have the Germini Junior on a corner of my computer desk, which is also where I die cut. So the compact size works perfectly.

A friend has the full size Gemini because she teaches classes, is a die cut diva and can load up the large plates. It doesn’t take up that much more room, though it is heavier and takes an extra couple seconds for the much longer plates to go through, not that it’s slow. Though you can also get small plates that are made for the Gem Junior and put them through sideways.

I haven’t watched these videos, but they compare the two for size and function, if you’re considering a Gemini.

https://m. - 2 minute video - shows size difference

https://m. - Prairie Paper and Ink (who I like but haven’t seen this) with a longer video comparing the two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Do you mean electronic like the Silhouette? Or other electric ones similar to the Gemini, Big Shot Express, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

?are you asking me or the thread starter??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

?are you asking me or the thread starter??
Oh, you, Stacy, since you had mentioned electronic machines. I thought the , the OP was only interested in electric. (I sometimes wonder if anyone has completely stepped away from electric and just gone electronic, but that’s for another thread. I got rid of my Silhouette so it’s not relevant to me. Just curious aka nosy about All Things paper crafting. So ignore me.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Sorry I misspoke didn't I. I have only ever have non-electric hand crank so in my mind the other options are all the same. What can I say, my mind can be a scary mixed up place ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Sorry I misspoke didn't I. I have only ever have non-electric hand crank so in my mind the other options are all the same. What can I say, my mind can be a scary mixed up place ;)

Welcome to my world... :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Empress electric cut and emboss machine from Anna Griffin via HSN. It is a dream machine for me. A smaller version, the Mini, is being launched on HSN's craft day on November 5th. The plate opening is 4.5 inches and so many of my dies will fit that opening. She offers 5 plates for both machines: magnetic, clear (2), metal shim and rubber embossing mat. I also own a Gemini junior but have not used it as much because I am cutting and embossing with larger dies and folders on the Empress. I also own a big shot plus, a diamond press mini, and a cuttlebug. I think my cranking days are behind me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the Gemini Jr and love it. As soon as it arrived I donated my Cuttlebug to an assisted living facility.. just couldn't crank it. I do have the little Diamond Press with the 2 inch opening, and hope to look into the new Diamond Press with the 4 inch opening - both hand cranked but so tiny they don't take much to crank. Love my Diamond Press too...
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes