Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I want to unmount all...

:? I'm looking to unmount my collection of wood stamps. I have thought of using the CTMH boxes and folders that they sell. I figured it out last night. Just for the boxes and the little folders that fit in the boxes - NOT counting the transparency sheets or the cling - it will cost $400.00!!! Does anyone, or can anyone tell me how you have yours set up? I really dont like the CD case idea or the binders. I have 3 - 3" binders that are actually dusty because I dont even use them. And I'd like to keep each set together.

Any ideas? help please. I've had this thought in my mind for a week or so, and when I get something in my craw it just eats away at me till I do something...

Hugs,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I unmounted 90% of my stamps, over 6,000 images. This took me the better part of a year to accomplish. And like you, once I get an idea in my head I have to follow it through - drives DH nuts, LOL!!!

Anyway, after weighing the options and the prices I ended up going with binders, Wal Mart cardstock, Aileen's Tack it over and over (TIOO), black foam brushes and document protector sheets.

I have a cabinet that I can put the binders in to keep the dust off everything. I personally store my stamps by category words, christmas, scenic, floral, etc... For the most part my sets stay together, except for words, these are all kept together sorted by theme.

I already had the clear blocks, I got those from TAC about 2 years before I unmounted the stamps. I had been gifted with the blocks and all the Circus stamps from Jim Stephan. So I took the die off the wood block, threw away the cushion and the blocks. Next I applied Aileens TIOO to the die with those black foam paint brushes - they need to be disposable because I could never get the adhesive off to reuse the brush. While the TIOO was drying on the die I would insert two pieces of Wal Mart white cardstock into a document sleeve, this gives the sleeve some stability, then stick the die onto the document sleeve. I used both sides of the sleeve to hold the dies.

Because I was afraid the sleeves would tear from the weight (and I didn't use heavy weight sleeves - which I will do in the future) I only keep 5 sleeves of images per 1" binder. I purchased the binders during the school season when Wal Mart sells them for $1 each. Ended up using 25 binders.

Each binder is labeled by category. Ladies of Stampin' Up, back grounds (2 binders), corners and borders, animals (several binders), Men, Christmas, etc...

My only do over would be heavier document protector sleeves next time. The less expensive ones can tear, but I'm just careful and haven't had any problems.

I should have done this a long time ago, so easy to use, easy to get to and storage is simple.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hi Joani,

Well, wow. That seems like a lot for storage. Let me tell you what I do, and maybe that will help or trigger an idea for an alternative for you.

I have a bunch of SU! stamp sets that I have never mounted. Therefore, every time I get an SU! set, I get an SU box.

I have discovered that if you have unmounted sets, you can fit about 3 sets of stamps in one box. What I do is I cut a piece of cardboard to serve as a divider and create 3 layers in one box. does that make sense?

Then, I label the outside of the box with the name of the sets inside. If you have the box with the opening facing you, then on the left side of the box is a label for the set on the bottom of the box. On the front is a label for the set in the middle of the box, and on the right hand side is a label for the set thats on the top layer of the box.

Admittedly, many people do not like to search thru a box for their stamps. But this system has worked well for me and I know you can get the boxes from SU (if you don't have them already) and maybe this is a viable option.

HIH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

There's some ideas. I know that it is a big job - but like I said, I've got the idea in my head... And I'm running out of room! I thank you both for your ideas. I just need to ponder some more... :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Well, I guess the binders seem like I lot, I hadn't thought of it that way. Funny isn't how we all just see one way. LOL!!!

I had been storing my stamp in cardboard trays from Costco (the tuna used to come in these shallow trays) that fit perfectly in the 8 drawer Iris carts that Costco also sold. The trays held the stamps on their blocks stack 2, 3 or 6 trays to a drawer depending on the size of the drawer. This way I could keep the images by categories, like how they are in the binder. Since I was used to grabbing the background drawer, making a background binder goes with what's left of my mind.

Also, I didn't want to invest in empty CD cases and resort by sets. Not all my stamps are SU so this allowed me to group images by theme instead of set.

Before I unmounted my stamps I had 6 Iris Carts full of stamps. Now I am using 1 of the carts for yarn, 2 carts for Sizzix Dies, punches and wheel stamps. I kept my wheel images on the wheels, I like being able to roll without reinking. And the other two carts hold ink pads, cross stitch stuff and bits and pieces for embellishing cards and such.

You'll find the way that works best for your style and space. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I too dont like the CD case idea. Only because I would like to keep the sets together, and some sets wont fit into the CD. I really do like how CTMH keeps theirs, but I sure could spend $400 in other ways. And I know that my growing collection is bound to run over some day. I have a bookshelf full. 2 rows deep. There is a lot of sets to do, and I'd just like to have everything neat and orderly. Ugh. Why cant I just go to bed at night and wake up with it done ~ poof!! By the magic Rubber fairy?

Does anyone have a pic of their storage?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2
Hi!
So I took the die off the wood block, threw away the cushion and the blocks. Next I applied Aileens TIOO to the die with those black foam paint brushes - they need to be disposable because I could never get the adhesive off to reuse the brush.

Does this mean that you now use just the bare rubber stamp (without any foam underneath) coated with the TIOO so it adheres to the clear blocks?

I feel really dense on this subject, and am very confused by all the terminology and products (vinyl cling, ez mount, etc.) when people talk about going unmounted. I'm also interested in being able to use some of my uncut SU stamps with the acrylic blocks.

After using the Bella stamps, I really like having just the rubber stamp (no backing) on the block. Thanks for your info.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

This is a very hard thing to decide. I have been pondering selling some of my retired SU sets simply because I am out of room. But then came up with the idea of unmounting them instead, however like Joeknee I am not sure how I want to store them. I do have some unmounteds that I bought prior to being a demo that I have in CD cases and it's not a bad way to store them but you do run across the problem of them not fitting in one case. I also have one binder full which isn't bad but I don't have the shelf space to hold all of the binders it would fill up. What's a girl to do?
I am considering the vinyl cling method...not to hijack but do those of you who use that system really like it? I have never tried it and have tried the ATOO which is ok. Is it pricey?

TIA
Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have unmounted almost all my retired sets - I am a military wife and with moving every 3 years or so, I finally decieded that the weight of all the wood had to go - - - - I am really liking the unmounted stamps though - - - I can take a small box of 50 stamp sets to a crop and that is awesome.

What I did was use the SU! Stamp-a-ma-jig sheets - they are a pretty thick 6 x 6 plastic sheet (3 for $2.50) so cheap too - I placed the sticker from the stamp on the smooth side of the sheet, set name sticker at the top of the sheet and then the unmounted stamp on the rough side of the sheet. I didn't put anything special on the stamps to make them stick - but I do have Aileens Tack it again and again in case I the stickiness comes off the stamps. I just took the stamp off the original block (using the microwave to heat the glue) then used my jeans to get some stickiness off.....

Hope some of this makes since.
Marian

I have lost 24.8 lbs since January 6th, 2007 - doing weight watchers.

I went to the SCS St. Louis / IL Stampede on April 21st!!!! wohoo! Had a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I am in the middle of the slow unmounting process. (If anyone finds the Magic Rubber Fairy please send her my way.) I have been using the easy mount foam. It's an investment but I like it so I buy 10 sheets at a time off e-bay to get it a little cheaper. I do keep mine in CD cases. I like them because they are easy to handle and flip through when I am looking for an idea. I struggled with the problem of the larger sets but never found a good economical solution so I bought a bag of sturdy rubber bands and use 2 cd cases bound with a rubber band when needed. I do make sure to lable the 2nd CD case with the name of the set, just in case they get seperated in my creative chaos. So far it's working ok.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

That's one of the biggest things I have with the unmounting is the cost. It's going to cost a fortune! But I think in the long run if I can get a good system going then I will be happy.

Marian, I did not realize that SU! sold stamp-a-ma-jig sheets. Are those in the catty? Please let me know, that may be an idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

BTW - I then have all the sets on the sheets in a clearish plastic box made for CDs

Marian

I went to the SCS St. Louis / IL Stampede on April 21st!!!! wohoo! Had a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Yes they are in the catty with the Stamp a ma jig - only $2.50 for 3 sheets - I wonder if SU! wonders what I'm doing with them all......

Marian

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's what I did. First I tried the Graphix Cling Vinyl method. Hated it. So, I went to EZ Mount. That's been my biggest expense. I went on Craig's List and found someone selling 150 CD cases for $15. Some were new, some used but who cares?! They were all in fine shape. For sets that take up more than one case, I put them back to back and put some Crystal Effects on the four corners that meet and use blue painters tape to tape the cases together until the CE dries. Works for me. Now I want some of the new Thin EZ Mount cuz then I can just adhere that to the new SU stamps I buy without having to remove the existing foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsouthall
I just took the stamp off the original block (using the microwave to heat the glue) then used my jeans to get some stickiness off.....
Marian
How simple is that???? They will probably stay sticky enough for the acrylic blocks for a long time like that. I'm going to try that right away... the worst that can happen is that you have to add some sticky or cling later! THANKS so much for this very common sense idea!!! And, now I'm off to order some SAMJ sheets.

Gotta love SCS!!!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Maybe you could find a envelope template that they would fit in and make your own holders. You may even be able to find envelopes similar somewhere to the ctmh envelope holders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I use CD cases but I also use DVD cases for the bigger sets to keep together. I found a link from another thread here on SCS to a place called www.sleevetown.com that sells the CD cases! HTH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeknee
I too dont like the CD case idea. Only because I would like to keep the sets together, and some sets wont fit into the CD. I really do like how CTMH keeps theirs, but I sure could spend $400 in other ways. And I know that my growing collection is bound to run over some day. I have a bookshelf full. 2 rows deep. There is a lot of sets to do, and I'd just like to have everything neat and orderly. Ugh. Why cant I just go to bed at night and wake up with it done ~ poof!! By the magic Rubber fairy?

Does anyone have a pic of their storage?
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

hi there! new here, and this is my first post.

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but as a relatively new stamper (but with way too many stamps already), my best advice is to make an image of each stamp and keep the images in a binder, regardless of how you ultimately end up storing the stamps themselves.

this is what I do: whenever I get a new stamp or stamp set, I determine where it's going to go - I keep u/m and clear stamps in a ring binder, and mounted stamps in the cutest little 3-drawer units from ikea (each drawer fits two stamps high) - it's the FIRA 3-drawer unit - each drawer gets a number (I'm only up to 6! LOL!)

then I get out my trusty "image folder," and turn to the appropriate section (like I have a "flower," holiday, baby, etc... section, sometimes my SU sets just get their own page next to the most relevant section). I stamp each image in black ink and mark the location (like "drawer 3) next to the image. Then I "file" the stamp. When I'm brainstorming, I can then just go through the images by turning a few pages... this means I can store my actual stamps more easily and cheaply, because I don't have to come up with an organization system for the stamps themselves (other than marking which drawer/binder they are in) - much easier to just organize the images on paper in a binder. Hope this makes sense!

- Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Catherine - yes, I do not use a cushion of any kind. I take the foam completely off the die, use the TIOO on the die and stick the die to the clear block. Small to medium stamps don't need the cushion. Larger stamps where the middle could be an issue I either stamp with a mouse pad under the cardstock or on several sheets of paper. I really haven't had a problem with needing a cushion.

I can only find Aileene's TIOO at Michael's and then I just use a 40% or 50% off coupon. The bottle is between $3 and $4. I've only used 3 bottles, maybe 4 for my entire collection. Trust me on this, just buy one bottle at a time, you'll run out of energy before you use up a bottle, LOL!!!

Have Fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I like the idea of gluing the 2 cases together... Hey, maybe that idea is not so bad after all... Hmmm.

About the Aileen's TIOO -- does that stuff work pretty well? I could invest in some of that... Do they sell it by the gallon???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2
Hi!
Catherine - yes, I do not use a cushion of any kind. I take the foam completely off the die, use the TIOO on the die and stick the die to the clear block. Small to medium stamps don't need the cushion. Larger stamps where the middle could be an issue I either stamp with a mouse pad under the cardstock or on several sheets of paper. I really haven't had a problem with needing a cushion.

I can only find Aileene's TIOO at Michael's and then I just use a 40% or 50% off coupon. The bottle is between $3 and $4. I've only used 3 bottles, maybe 4 for my entire collection. Trust me on this, just buy one bottle at a time, you'll run out of energy before you use up a bottle, LOL!!!

Have Fun
Thanks so much, Cynthia, and everyone. Unmounting doesn't seem so daunting after reading the great ideas in this thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Would it be worth it to buy the cling to mount them on to? or should I just take them off the rubber and put them on the sheets, CD holder or whatever I'm going to use?

I think what I am trying to say is should I put the vinyl cling on or just pull them off the wood and use the TIOO if they get so not sticky an longer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I never thought of gluing them together either. I was just going to order some DVD cases, but I may hold off on that...
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in the middle of unmounting my stamps too. I am putting them on EZ Cling and into cd cases. It is working for me so far. One little thing I will add to the discussion is this tip: Last weeked at a stamp show in Milw. a woman was selling the cling and was cutting it with a hot knife from Walnut Hollow. I took my 50% off coupon to M's on Sunday and bought one for $7.50. WOW! It has made this whole process much easier! The knife isn't hot enough to cut the rubber so it is totally safe. Just thought I would let you guys know in case you are interested!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021
I am in the middle of unmounting my stamps too. I am putting them on EZ Cling and into cd cases. It is working for me so far. One little thing I will add to the discussion is this tip: Last weeked at a stamp show in Milw. a woman was selling the cling and was cutting it with a hot knife from Walnut Hollow. I took my 50% off coupon to M's on Sunday and bought one for $7.50. WOW! It has made this whole process much easier! The knife isn't hot enough to cut the rubber so it is totally safe. Just thought I would let you guys know in case you are interested!
I think they show this on the Sunday International website. I know I saw it somewhere. It's a cool idea! Made me start using my Xacto knife instead of scissors and I like it much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I have put sets in the clear cello envelopes that you get from SU, what is it, like 50 of them for $5? I am using transparency cut in four, stick the stamps to it, and put a sheet of paper on the other side iwth the image stamped on it.

I am filing them in a box like the box set up for holding cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 04:02 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

If you like the envelope idea (like I did) but don't want to spend even MORE money on the unmounting (like I didn't) you can try making your own envelope system (like I did). I posted what I did here:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't finished all my sets, and haven't made very many of the envelopes but eventually it will all get done...LOL!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Thank you. I think I might try this.
Reply With Quote Likes