Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #121  
ch
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I'm no longer up-to-date on what is trendy. But for myself in my own personal card-making, I am tired of cars. I have one nephew that loves cars, and because I myself feel no particular love for cars, I only have a handful of stamp sets of cars (versus a freakin' ton of sets for girlie stamps) so I find myself stamping the same dang cars over and over and over and over. I JUST bought two new stamp sets of cars because I am so tired of the car stamps I already have. I have one niece and two nephews and I adore making cards for my niece, but sometimes I stare morosely at the "boy" stamps before forcing myself to make two boy cards (I can't very well send a card ONLY to my niece!). Yup, plain, flat-out tired of cars.
I have the same problem--love to make cards for the granddaughters, the grandsons are a bit harder. I have a fun dinosaur die for the big shot but how many dino cards can I make?
I was at the craft store and found some goofy monster stickers, perfect focal point for a quick card to the guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #122  
Inking Addict

Like lots of the previous posters, I don't usually fall into trends. For father's day this year, I used an old ship stamp on DH's card that I had bought many, many years (decades) ago when I was a child. ;)
And I love vintage, but don't care for patterned paper that looks like old wallpaper, go figure.
Although there are tons of gorgeous examples in the gallery of imaged colored with Copics, I tried them at a class and still don't understand what the big deal is, I much prefer colored pencils. And the Copic website looks like a comic book, just not my style.
This is why I love SCS, from all of these posts, there's something to agree with on almost every one! And no matter if you like a style or not, there are lots of beautiful examples to look at in the gallery.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #123  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Great topic! I am curious; what is a trend exactly? Many things I've seen listed here are not really trends from my perspective because they have been around for years. So how long is something around before it is no longer considered a trend? It could be I have no clue, because I can't afford all the trends. So I buy what I like when I can afford it.
I don't like cupcake images, but they aren't really a trend, are they? They've been around for years.
It seems most of what I like is what everyone else doesn't like. Hmmm! I don't use anything because it is trendy, but do like my Copics (I love to color and like high quality, always had to have Crayola crayons as a kid) and digi images which are no different than stamping with a line image with black ink on paper. And you can paper piece just the same as you can with rubber and clear stamps. I love sewing and fabric on my papercrafting because I love to sew and I have a huge supply of fabric that I need to use up. Is that really a trend since it has been done for years now?

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #124  
Forum Fanatic

Received 166 Likes on 142 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
I have enjoyed these responses...

I LOATHE OWLS...I had a PRECIOUS 3lb Chihuahua that was the SWEETEST thing ever...(not the typical yap yap, growling kind but the wag wag kiss-y kiss-y kind) Everyone who met her LOVED her and could not believe she was a sweet Chihuahua...well one night I was letting her out in the back yard before bed time...and a HUGE OWL came swooping down and snatched her up right before my eyes and that was the last I saw and heard from her as she was yelping until I heard no more!!!

There are several owl nests in the neighbors trees and I HATE them!!!

I miss her terribly and I can't believe that they used my baby for dinner.

Blessings,
Valerie

P.S. I never get tired of Butterflies!!! I LOVE what they represent to me spiritually and their Majestic Beauty that come from a caterpillar!!! Simply amazing...one of the few Miracles that I get to actually witness...just amazing!!!
Oh Valerie, I am so sorry! My heart goes out to you, I cannot imagine going through something like that. I saw a hawk swoop down in our yard once during a snowstorm and grab a squirrel that was eating birdseed on the ground and I was so upset. When our Toy Fox Terrier was very tiny I always worried about letting him outside because of that. I cannot blame you for hating owls, I certainly would too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #125  
Kookie Creator

I'm so over the grunge look. I like vintage if it's done in moderation but the grunge paper that's still all over -- nope. I want my paper to start out nice and bright and if I want to distress it, I will.

I have found, though, that I'm slow in getting on bandwagons so by the time I'm ready to use a stamp, it's old and out of date which is fine with me. You can always stamp an image and cut part of it out to use in a different way.

Was never into buttons or twine. Ribbon in moderation.

I like *how* to make something rather than what goes on it. Does that make sense? Show me a cool way of making a card and I'll take it from there.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #126  
Die Cut Diva

I pretty much do my own thing and I am very reluctant to jump on trends in papercrafting. I never get caught up in the "craze" of a technique, style, or product (although I LOVE SU!) because it just seems very exhausting and rather predictable. I also don't have to try something 3 dozen times before I come to the conclusion that, "Im so done with that!" So my list is one that maybe I tried once or not at all and just knew immediately that this is for the birds as far as I'm concerned! That is not to say that I don't admire and thoroughly enjoy other people creations using these things. If you like it, I LOVE it!

hand rolled paper flowers
quilling
hand stitching
shaving cream (and MOST messy techniques)
melting crayons or anything else with an iron (who does that)
brayering
the overly or extreme distressed look
tearing
dew drops
rub ons (to an extent...I do still use them occasionally)
STAMPIN' UP! CLEAR STAMPS (they don't like to stick to the block)
chip board
distress stickles
ANY form of a sock monkey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #127  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stamped doilies. They are just ugly to me. I only like the die cut ones in crisp white cardstock.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #128  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VittView Post
I agree with the copics. I don't think it's "copic envy". Bought one just to see how it colored and I thought I could do the same or similar thing with my SU! markers. I agree the owl thing never grabbed me and I whole-heartedly agree that digi-stamping is NOT stamping, entirely different art form.
I totally agree that people can get fab results from other mediums and Copics are NOT a requirement to make beautiful cards/art. However, with only one marker, you will never fully appreciate what Copics can do...
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #129  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

There are quite a few 'trends' I was never into so I guess I can't be over them. Unless you mean over seeing them out there in blogland.

Headless women/men
Oversized headed children - I get that children naturally have big heads but not that big! And their bodies especially hands and feet are freakily Popsicle stick-ish.
Feature-missing faces, ugh
Skulls
Owls

Things that have been overdone:
Cupcakes but I still like the ones that have IMHO perfectly swirled icing
Doilies-again, have to be just right for me to like them
Label shapes- I can only use so many cool edged dies before they pretty much start looking the same
Handdrawn images- I agree, I could draw most of them and I am NOT an artist, same with scribbly sentiments but a fee meant for kids are ok
Symmetrical images-I prefer more realistic images, especially for flowers, I adore PTI but some of their flowers are boring. I was surprised to see Flourishes listed as a disliked trend because I love most of their stuff.
Die cuts that at unembellished or undecorated in some way, so 80's sticker sneeze!
Cute monsters/robots/aliens-cute but there is enough out there now

What I'm really into that seems fresh and new:
Grungy images for boys, 2 or 3 months ago, PTI released a huge amount of boy and guy themed stuff. Dying to get most of it. Stuff that is modern and hip needs serious attention.
Botanical images mixed with something to make them more modern like modern typography-cool!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #130  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Staples to attach embellishments. From day 1, I thought they looked tacky--like you didn't want to take the time to attach something properly. I'll never use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #131  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my SIL - she is so thoughtful. She just gave me 4 paper stacks - 2 of them 12X12, and 2 of them 8X8, plus a box of chipboard embellishments to go with one of the stacks. All free of charge - she found them at a great sale at Chapters - non returnable. The problem is - one of the stacks is 30 sheets of brightly coloured glitter paper - and I mean glitter paper - completely covered with glitter. And the matching stack is full of glittery sugary candy and cupcake sweets - and I'm talking lick-the-sugar-bowl sweet! So now I have figure out how to use up 66 pieces of paper with matching chipboard diecuts without going into a diabetic coma!!

At the opposite end of the scale - one of the other stacks is full of vintage owls, birds in birdcages, ladies dressed in old fashioned clothing, and "steampunky" style images - ugh!! Not my style! So to offset that, I have a 4th stack full of furry woodland creatures that would normally never live together in the same forest as one would eat the other, mushrooms that look a lot like the magic mushrooms the Alice ate in Wonderland, bizzare looking owls with different sized eyes and slanted bodies, and weird tree-like things....again, not my style!

In total, I now have 138 sheets of paper in styles I would not usually consider using (and don't forget the matching diecuts!) to create into works of art!

Again, I love how thoughtful my SIL was, and she has such a good heart, but yikes! The only saving grace - I donate cards that I make for our church's craft bazaar in November, and since I donate all the costs, I am hoping to really cut my costs this year! Now, I just have to find some inspiration for these not-my-style papers!

Off to the galleries to see what I can find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #132  
Matboard Maniac

OH my goodness...I actually spit my drink out reading the diabetic coma comment...Thanks for a good laugh!!!
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #133  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
Overpriced rubber stamps! (along with ridiculous shipping prices)
Try having things shipped to Canada from the States- then you will see REAL shipping prices!
That's why I have items shipped to a different address... perfectly legal, just in case you wondered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #134  
Embossing Fanatic

What a great thread. Enjoyed reading all of it. I don't know if this is a trend or the beginning of one, but I am tired of seeing the big border punches that makes a card look like swiss cheese, and if there is a big ribbon running thought it with a big bow, I think gee - swiss cheese gift wrapped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #135  
Glitter Queen

Skulls and Crossbones
Tattoo Art

I want my pages and cards to look nice, not grungy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #136  
Hardware Hotshot

I think my collection of dies is complete . I like what I have but lately the new things don't get me excited as they did in the past. Most of them look like re-runs with minor modifications
I think my collection of embossing folders is complete too . I stopped buying any of them when Provo Craft decided to only sell them in bundles.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-03-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #137  
Die Cut Diva

If you follow one brand of stamps and accessories (Stampin' UP!) almost exclusively, like I do, year to year some themes get old. Like Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day...how many bats, rats, pumpkins, Christmas trees, ornaments, boughs of holly, hearts, cupids etc. do you need? How many rolls of Tangerine Tango ribbon do you need? I don't think some stamp companies do enough to stay fresh! I'm certainly more selective about my choices of rubber stamps than I used to be. I also detest the "serial stamp" types. Like a basic woman and then make a version of this same stick thin woman in every condition, occupation, disposition and personality known to man. Enough already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #138  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean . So many stamp manufacturers seem to follow each other. Sometimes I wonder of they all get together and decide what to make this year. Last year it was cartoon style snowmen. Everyone had them and they were so similar it was hard to recognize which company made them.

Recently, I was looking for Old fashioned Southern Belle type stamps that I could color. You know the kind with the bustles and fancy hats. Not Silhouettes.
I could not find one!!
But I found enough cartoon women images to paper a wall.
Then I was hunting for a motor boat or speed boat stamps to color . Nope none.
I found big sail boats and row boats. With male cards so difficult to design, didn't it occur to anyone to design a motor boat or speed boat stamp? I found one silhouette motor boat with 2 people in it from a company I never heard of. SU had one speed boat stamp that looked like a rough pencil sketch that was never finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #139  
Kookie Creator

I've been reading along with much comment and have thought about this a bit. I am not very good at following trends in anything...stamps, clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. Having said that, I am tired of things being, in my opinion, predictable. I'm also tired of over embellished cards on design team blogs that can't possibly go in an envelope or be mailed. Yes, they are pretty and nice to look at and I'm sure that's probably one of the reasons you get to be on a dozen design teams, but it's still overdone.

As for actual images, I was never into a lot of the things I'm over, but I'm to the point I'm tired of seeing them.
Chandaliers
Coffee anything and everything
People with no heads
Kids without their whole face
Birds
Cages
Overly cute animals
The same boring simple sentiments
Owls
Big heads
Girly girls, not women but girls

And as for other things...
Chipboard
A million rhinestones on one card
Sketches, I know everyone hates me now, but I see a sketch and then I see a dozen cards that all look the same.

There are some things that have been trendy lately that I love, but really I only need a few stamps. The whole world doesn't need to come out with their own. Sometimes it's better to accept you missed the boat.
Hot air balloons
Doiles - dies, not stamps
Lable set

About some of the other things said:
I like a little grunge, though I can totally see why others don't.
I love my copics. I had been wanting a marker with it's possibilities for years. But again, if you weren't looking for something like it, they are quite expensive and I can see why you wouldn't care and wouldn't want to hear about them all the time.
I, too, love that we can all be different and appreciate the art of others without having to love the products that went into the creation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #140  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This thread is making laugh so hard except Valerie who made me cry.

Valerie sending you hugs. I am so sorry. I don't think I would love owls after seeing that either. I would still be traumatized.

donelle- I can't even tell you how many blogs I have unsubbed from because of styles that freaked me out, lol. All you have to do is say in a blog "OMG! IT'S THE BEST THING EVAH!" I am hitting unsubscribe faster than you can blink, lol.

I don't get the grunge thing either. I wasn't into grunge in the 90's so I am not going to start now, lol.

cakhuxel- I agree RSM, Vamp Stamp News, Stamper's Sampler, Somerset are like books. You devour every page. Even the ads are great in those magazines. I have found some great new unique stamp companies that way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #141  
Die Cut Diva

This thread is hilarious! Alot of what has been said, I totally agree with and equally as much, I'm guilty of. If I absolutely detest something, does that equate being "so done" with it? If so, it really bugs me to plan out a card, gather my supplies, painstakingly design and embellish it and then have a sentiment stamp with an awesome or even not so awesome, but appropriate quote and they put the name of the person who said it ON the stamp! If I made the card and I'm the one giving the card, then darn it I SAID IT and I don't want to see Thoreau or Eienstein as a subscript. I try to trim them away from the sentiment, but it's like stamp companies know that you want to do this and they print it so tiny and so close to the sentiment, it is sometimes difficult to separate. I'm so done with quotes....they weren't first or last person to think that thought! Upon more examination, I'm also "so done" with:

itty, bitty, witty images. I mean some people seem to love these little inchy sized images, but I'm trying to fill up white space here and it will take all day with this trend of teeny, tiny, images. They are also a financial rip-off when the whole set of images fits on a 3x3 piece of paper!

8 shades of the same green, blue, or red with a clever name. If you wanna resurrect a retired color, just bring it back.

Taking my complaining self to bed now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #142  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I, like many other posters, am not a "trendy" person and usually end up liking something after the trend is long gone! There are general things I don't like and will never use whether they are popular or not, like...Halloween anything, teddy bears (I know! right?! who doesn't like teddy bears...me unless it's Winnie the Pooh), not a fan of country style things like barns, fences, water pumps, don't care for roses or quilts, do not like primary colors. But I love owls, butterflies, birds, bird cages, some of the Steam punk, big fan of collage (have always loved it! even way back when I took Art in 9th grade)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #143  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
This thread is hilarious! Alot of what has been said, I totally agree with and equally as much, I'm guilty of. If I absolutely detest something, does that equate being "so done" with it? If so, it really bugs me to plan out a card, gather my supplies, painstakingly design and embellish it and then have a sentiment stamp with an awesome or even not so awesome, but appropriate quote and they put the name of the person who said it ON the stamp! If I made the card and I'm the one giving the card, then darn it I SAID IT and I don't want to see Thoreau or Eienstein as a subscript. I try to trim them away from the sentiment, but it's like stamp companies know that you want to do this and they print it so tiny and so close to the sentiment, it is sometimes difficult to separate. I'm so done with quotes....they weren't first or last person to think that thought! Upon more examination, I'm also "so done" with:

itty, bitty, witty images. I mean some people seem to love these little inchy sized images, but I'm trying to fill up white space here and it will take all day with this trend of teeny, tiny, images. They are also a financial rip-off when the whole set of images fits on a 3x3 piece of paper!

8 shades of the same green, blue, or red with a clever name. If you wanna resurrect a retired color, just bring it back.

Taking my complaining self to bed now...
:lol::lol::lol: Oh you crack me up! I have thought the same thing about the phrase stamps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #144  
Rubber Obsessor

The latest thing...you buy so many dies and stamps, then CHA happens and you just HAVE to have more. I refuse to buy COPICS. I just got a full set of Prisma Color Pencils (132) count and am in love. As the Bible says, we need to be satified and content with what we have. Too much eye candy out there...so hard to resist it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #145  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamshobbyView Post
I've just finished reading this whole thread and loved it! I think I'm just a stamper who marches to my own tune ... lol. I use whatever I think the person I'm making card for would like. Geez, disappointed to find out I'm not trendy. :shock: lol

I do have say that I am not into pennants at all. As for cupcakes, I won't be buying any of those unless I can stick my finger in the frosting. There are some beautiful cards out there with these products though and I enjoy looking at them.

Have a great day!
I am totaly with you about marching to my own tune. I make cards for my friends and family that they would like also. I have never really paid attention to trend with the card making.
Cute stamps,beautiful ribbon,pattern papers come out all the time and if it trips my trigger I buy it. And boy do I buy !!!! the Visa company LOVES me.

I will add that big ol flowers placed all over the cards annoy me .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
This thread is making laugh so hard except Valerie who made me cry.

Valerie sending you hugs. I am so sorry. I don't think I would love owls after seeing that either. I would still be traumatized.

donelle- I can't even tell you how many blogs I have unsubbed from because of styles that freaked me out, lol. All you have to do is say in a blog "OMG! IT'S THE BEST THING EVAH!" I am hitting unsubscribe faster than you can blink, lol.

I don't get the grunge thing either. I wasn't into grunge in the 90's so I am not going to start now, lol.

cakhuxel- I agree RSM, Vamp Stamp News, Stamper's Sampler, Somerset are like books. You devour every page. Even the ads are great in those magazines. I have found some great new unique stamp companies that way.
You have given me a "marketing" of my blog idea! (ETA what do ya think?) LOL!

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-04-2011 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #147  
kraf*T*y mama

I have never liked the owls but now that they have flowed over into even baby clothes and teaching decor I can really say I have had ENOUGH!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #148  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate roseView Post
Try having things shipped to Canada from the States- then you will see REAL shipping prices!
That's why I have items shipped to a different address... perfectly legal, just in case you wondered.
YES, OVERPRICED STAMPS AND SHIPPING! THANK YOU! I am sometimes shocked how a set of clear stamps from some places can be $12 and the next is $25 for the same size. Then some will ship for $1 and some are a flat $5.50. I get they want to use a flat rate box so they don't have to buy but I sure wish some places would be more reasonable. I would order more. I can't tell you how many times I 'WINDOWS' shop and when I get to the checkout and see the shipping, just close the window. I know some people who have contacted some places and asked if they would drop it if they just order 1 set or something and they said some places have.
As far as the Flourishes, I think she meant the flourish stamps not the company. I do like Flourishes stamps...again not the shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #149  
Matboard Maniac

I have been sitting here reading and laughing till I cry on some of the posts.!!
I posted myself earlier and had time to think about what really bugs me other that BIG ol flowers placed all over card projects.
1.stick people stamps
2.glue sticks
3.digi anything
4.big bows that take over the cards
5.swirly rhinestone stickers

Venting feels good...thanks for this post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastessView Post
I have never liked the owls but now that they have flowed over into even baby clothes and teaching decor I can really say I have had ENOUGH!
Wise Owls have always been part of teaching decor - maybe it just comes in and out of fashion, but I know many teachers and I think owls rank up there with apples on set in stone teaching references.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #151  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I LOATHE OWLS...I had a PRECIOUS 3lb Chihuahua that was the SWEETEST thing ever...
I'm so sorry for your loss, I would never stop crying if that happened to me! How horrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #152  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I LOATHE OWLS...I had a PRECIOUS 3lb Chihuahua that was the SWEETEST thing ever...(not the typical yap yap, growling kind but the wag wag kiss-y kiss-y kind) Everyone who met her LOVED her and could not believe she was a sweet Chihuahua...well one night I was letting her out in the back yard before bed time...and a HUGE OWL came swooping down and snatched her up right before my eyes and that was the last I saw and heard from her as she was yelping until I heard no more!!!

There are several owl nests in the neighbors trees and I HATE them!!!

I miss her terribly and I can't believe that they used my baby for dinner.

Blessings,
Valerie

P.S. I never get tired of Butterflies!!! I LOVE what they represent to me spiritually and their Majestic Beauty that come from a caterpillar!!! Simply amazing...one of the few Miracles that I get to actually witness...just amazing!!!

This story just made me incredibly sad. I always thought of owls as beautiful, especially having seen them up close, and I know it was just doing it's natural thing . . . but as a pet owner of many species and a dog lover, my heart breaks for you.

In all seriousness, never see the movie The Proposal with Sandra Bullock. I loved the movie but there is a scene that you would not find funny.

Hugs!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #153  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I'm repeating, I apologize, but for those of you still wondering, even though Steampunk is a new trend to card-making, it's been around awhile :

Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #154  
Matboard Maniac

I've never really gotten the "Build a Bear" thing. And I was big on the wheels for a while, now they're collecting dust. Same with the background stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #155  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It sure is interesting getting other peoples opinions on stuff.
I'm always late for trends, too. If I finally cave (ie. I just bought my first pack of doilies), I usually can't figure out how to work with the stuff so it sits there waiting for inspiration.
I'm not a fan of people stamps in general and especially don't like big heads or eyes or anime (?) style or faeries. I know Tildas and other such are popular, but not for me. I love to watch a lady I know do an incredible job on the colouring of these images, but I would never use them myself. I'm also not a fan of artsy collage type stuff.
I do have an odd passion for gears and watch faces, but my attempts usually look amatuerish. I also own way too many flower stamps, but I have trouble passing them by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #156  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 258 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't follow trends in my stamping. I use what I like. If something I don't like is used a lot--Steampunk, artsy-fartsy, and overdone collage, I just ignore it. There are lots of stamps I like and will never tire of as I change off on what I use and ideas galore for using what I like. I'm happy no matter what and happy for others that have what they want. Trends don't phase me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #157  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I do exactly the same! Especially at Christmas, I will see a stamp/set I like, so I'll buy it, then not use it till next year. I really hate the way that stamping has now become a fashion orientated area. The one statement guaranteed to get me running away is 'on-trend', lol. Do the companies not 'get', that apart from the enjoyment of creating, we make art/cards etc so they will look DIFFERENT to everything else out there!
I have Christmas - and Halloween stamps - that I bought years ago and still haven't used! But they are images I loved and wanted and so they're there waiting for the right inspiration - who knows, this might be their year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #158  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
What bothers me most is when I buy one company's image and then another company comes out with one I like even more. Sigh.
I know, I don't rush out to get the latest anymore - now I wait and see what else is going to be out there - I definitely don't need to be one of the first to get a new stamp or stamp set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #159  
Hardware Hotshot

Another thing I am tired of seeing is the line drawn primative folk images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #160  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I have Christmas - and Halloween stamps - that I bought years ago and still haven't used! But they are images I loved and wanted and so they're there waiting for the right inspiration - who knows, this might be their year!
Yeah, I own many a stamp set, DSP, and embellishment that are hoping this "might be their year!" Lol!
Reply With Quote Likes