Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #161  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unfriended myself from Facebook last year. I just hated the drama. It seemed so high school to me. And truthfully, it didn't make me any closer to my far flung family or friends. It was just too superficial, providing the feeling of relationship without actually building relationship.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of going back on Facebook with the sole purpose of following the crafting community and other businesses there. Is that crazy? Does anyone else do this? Just curious.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #162  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I unfriended myself from Facebook last year. I just hated the drama. It seemed so high school to me. And truthfully, it didn't make me any closer to my far flung family or friends. It was just too superficial, providing the feeling of relationship without actually building relationship.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of going back on Facebook with the sole purpose of following the crafting community and other businesses there. Is that crazy? Does anyone else do this? Just curious.
I do not post anything personal, let alone post to FB. I pretty much read what friends and family have to say. I follow, cooking/baking FB pages, a few crafting and TV show I like for updates and to know when new shows or reruns are on.

That is all I use FB for. I agree FB is like high school. It is amazing that adults post more stupid stuff/personal stuff that teenagers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #163  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I think a lot of people are over FB.

No matter how hard you try to avoid politics or abused animals or any other topic you don't like, it finds its way into your feed. I just want to craft .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #164  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I'm a little late to the conversation... But what else is new. I work full time running my husband's and my trucking company. I am also on my church's worship team, and I am still raising a teenager. My struggle is managing my "free time" If I have to choose between creating and commenting, sorry if this sounds selfish, but I'm going to choose to create because I love working with my paper. If when I'm done with that and I still have time, I will comment. Problem that I have with commenting is if I'm going to comment, I don't want to just say "pretty" I want to leave meaningful comments. The result, longer comments but I can only comment on a few cards.

One suggestion that I think would be nice for the gallery is if we had the opportunity to "like" a card. As in this thread, there is a like button and you can see who liked what. If we could "like" a card more than just look at a card, I think there is psychological perception between likes and views.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #165  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariLynnView Post
Well, I'm a little late to the conversation... But what else is new. I work full time running my husband's and my trucking company. I am also on my church's worship team, and I am still raising a teenager. My struggle is managing my "free time" If I have to choose between creating and commenting, sorry if this sounds selfish, but I'm going to choose to create because I love working with my paper. If when I'm done with that and I still have time, I will comment. Problem that I have with commenting is if I'm going to comment, I don't want to just say "pretty" I want to leave meaningful comments. The result, longer comments but I can only comment on a few cards.

One suggestion that I think would be nice for the gallery is if we had the opportunity to "like" a card. As in this thread, there is a like button and you can see who liked what. If we could "like" a card more than just look at a card, I think there is psychological perception between likes and views.
There is a heart icon that you can click while viewing the card. If you like it, then click the heart icon. The card will be put into your favorite file. Clicking the heart is sort of a "Like Button". Some people do view clicking the heart/favorite button as making a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #166  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
There is a heart icon that you can click while viewing the card. If you like it, then click the heart icon. The card will be put into your favorite file. Clicking the heart is sort of a "Like Button". Some people do view clicking the heart/favorite button as making a comment.
I don't think they are they same at all. I use the heart icon to favorite a card I might want to come back and look at again. If I clicked that on every card that I like, I would never find the ones I want to find again. Also I can see that people favorite my card, but who?

Just my opinion though. There may be people who want to favorite every card and if that works for them, I'm happy. And don't get me wrong. I do like seeing when my cards are favorited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #167  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCRibbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I don't think everyone knows what a MISTI is yet Let alone have one yet.

I envy people that have a craft budget, I buy when it is affordable, a one paycheck family here.
I am one of those that does not understand a MISTI yet. :( I think.

I too envy those that have a craft budget, I too buy when it is affordable, welcome to the one paycheck familial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #168  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyOView Post
I am one of those that does not understand a MISTI yet. :( I think.

I too envy those that have a craft budget, I too buy when it is affordable, welcome to the one paycheck familial.
I would like a MISTI, but I have no craft budget, well not much. If I sell a card I can spend that money on supplies. That is all I try to spend. Not one paycheck family but family that is self employed trying to run a trucking business where, if a truck breaks down, fixing that truck surpasses getting craft supplies.

What I like about SCS is there are all kinds of ranges of experience and ranges of supplies. One of my favorite threads is Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #169  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marilynn.
Years ago when my husband finished technical school in the automotive field people kept telling him owning his own business was the way to go. He tried the sort of self employed mechanic route. He got a small paycheck for regular work and any car repairs was his money minus parts. He finally took a real job because by the time he bought tools and worked 20 hour days he decided he wanted a real pay check. lol. He makes a lot better salary than he did on his own. He has insurance and retirement (not enough to retire yet..lol). My Dad was self employed all his life and there were really good times and lots of not so good times. He was always having to worry about the latter so when he did have extra money he still had to make himself spend it. All of my siblings and I never did without but it wasn't until I was grown and married with kids of my own until I realized how much he and my Mom did without. Today my granddaughter turned 15. We almost always go out for family meals on special occasions and my husband pays unless it is his birthday. Tonight we went to Twin Peaks. The food was delicious but for 9 people to eat is was $180 including tip. I don't resent spending the money but we have a JoAnn's grand opening Thursday and it sure blew my budget to almost nothing. I need nothing but have 50% off coupons and hate to see them go to waste! I did splurge on the MISTI before Christmas and have yet to regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Today my granddaughter turned 15. We almost always go out for family meals on special occasions and my husband pays unless it is his birthday. Tonight we went to Twin Peaks. The food was delicious but for 9 people to eat is was $180 including tip. I don't resent spending the money but we have a JoAnn's grand opening Thursday and it sure blew my budget to almost nothing. I need nothing but have 50% off coupons and hate to see them go to waste! I did splurge on the MISTI before Christmas and have yet to regret it.
I think that in the long run, you'll enjoy the fun memories of your granddaughter's birthday dinner, much more than buying something at JoAnn's that you didn't even need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 AM   #171  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I think that in the long run, you'll enjoy the fun memories of your granddaughter's birthday dinner, much more than buying something at JoAnn's that you didn't even need.
And JoAnns will be there for another day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Marilynn.
Years ago when my husband finished technical school in the automotive field people kept telling him owning his own business was the way to go. He tried the sort of self employed mechanic route. He got a small paycheck for regular work and any car repairs was his money minus parts. He finally took a real job because by the time he bought tools and worked 20 hour days he decided he wanted a real pay check. lol. He makes a lot better salary than he did on his own. He has insurance and retirement (not enough to retire yet..lol). My Dad was self employed all his life and there were really good times and lots of not so good times. He was always having to worry about the latter so when he did have extra money he still had to make himself spend it. All of my siblings and I never did without but it wasn't until I was grown and married with kids of my own until I realized how much he and my Mom did without. Today my granddaughter turned 15. We almost always go out for family meals on special occasions and my husband pays unless it is his birthday. Tonight we went to Twin Peaks. The food was delicious but for 9 people to eat is was $180 including tip. I don't resent spending the money but we have a JoAnn's grand opening Thursday and it sure blew my budget to almost nothing. I need nothing but have 50% off coupons and hate to see them go to waste! I did splurge on the MISTI before Christmas and have yet to regret it.
There will always be coupons out for these stores. Just enjoy your family.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #173  
Kookie Creator

I am predominately a lurker- I have been a member of SCS for a long time but do not post that often. I too have noticed the decline in message board activity. I think one way to keep the board robust is for people like me to dive into conversations, post more and help keep our love of stamping alive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #174  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberinkerView Post
I am predominately a lurker- I have been a member of SCS for a long time but do not post that often. I too have noticed the decline in message board activity. I think one way to keep the board robust is for people like me to dive into conversations, post more and help keep our love of stamping alive!

I think you are right! And good for you for posting. Welcome out of Lurkdom.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #175  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I think you are right! And good for you for posting. Welcome out of Lurkdom.
Yeah, what she said... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #176  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! It ( posting) will be slow-going for me but I am determined to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #177  
Insane Embellisher

I feel a bit like I've been a deserter lately myself. I hate that I've been away so much. We moved and it's just been slow moving getting my studio up and running again.... Heck I've been online just barely here and there. I'm glad to be getting on a little more recently. I've missed this forum. I'm so glad that I'm finally getting some time here and there to come back on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #178  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes this site reminds me of my time at MOPS. With my first baby, I loved the companionship and learning that all these moms were having the same sleep, eat, poop issues as I was. After I became a more experienced mom, I found those conversations too repetitive.

When I first discovered SCS, I read and commented on lots of stuff because I wanted it to be available for me to go back and look at so I could learn and absorb everything I could. Now, I come look, but a lot of the same stuff is covered, so I don't feel the need to comment all the time. I do love it when I find a thread that talks about stuff that I didn't know (or forgot!).

Regardless of this, SCS is my favorite crafting site. I love the community, I love the people and their goodness, and I love seeing all the beautiful creations. You all are amazing and inspiring!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #179  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Sometimes this site reminds me of my time at MOPS. With my first baby, I loved the companionship and learning that all these moms were having the same sleep, eat, poop issues as I was. After I became a more experienced mom, I found those conversations too repetitive.

When I first discovered SCS, I read and commented on lots of stuff because I wanted it to be available for me to go back and look at so I could learn and absorb everything I could. Now, I come look, but a lot of the same stuff is covered, so I don't feel the need to comment all the time. I do love it when I find a thread that talks about stuff that I didn't know (or forgot!).

Regardless of this, SCS is my favorite crafting site. I love the community, I love the people and their goodness, and I love seeing all the beautiful creations. You all are amazing and inspiring!
I completely agree. I am a longtime lurker myself. I've posted a few comments over the years but not routinely. I don't have a gallery, but planned on uploading cards (though I find I craft mostly upon need and forget to take pics). While I may not have much time or inspiration to create, i can still be close to the hobby through this website and check the forums almost daily for new posts or threads.

I love discovering new tools and techniques (i wait for vids from each CHA and watch YouTube regularly, in addition to splitcoast). I also love the collecting, buying, hunting for items or deals, organizing and reorganizing, waiting for packages, testing and playing with my "new toys" and purging too. That tends to overshadow the actual crafting but then that is the whole reason for the rest.

I don't know how many lurkers exist out there in the ether like me, but I'm saddened by the store closings and reduction in inventory at the chain craft stores near me. My time may have diminished and I may not be buying as much as when i started out, but I'm still spending a lot of my discretionary income on paper craft supplies.

Sadly not only did one of the few independent stamp stores within driving difference close a year ago, both our local JoAnn and AC Moore shuttered (I live in Staten Island, NY). The regional convention that took place every November in Long Island stopped a few years back and the only chain craft store left, Michaels, severely reduced the stamp and scrapbook sections. I often walk out with no purchase...and that was never the case in the past.

I was hoping this was due to the growth of online purchasing (which i do almost exclusively now other than conventions due to limited inventory at my local craft store), but with online stores and manufacturers closing, I'm getting more and more concerned.

Maybe it's just me but i noticed when the decline started... About 4-5 years ago the Walmart stores in NJ started clearing out their scrapbook sections. Target soon followed. There used to be a scrapbook section until it merged with stationary supplies. I thought that was just because the fad phase was over and they couldn't compete with specialty stores in keeping up to date items in stock.

This again is why I find the closing of online stores to be concerning. I love this hobby and do not want it to become the "macrame" of the early 2000's.

At any rate, I hope that if enough lurkers out there post, it will show that interest remains strong.

Happy stamping,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #180  
Matboard Maniac

I cant sign on from my cell phone or tablet. It says I have the wrong password, I think not, so now I just go to many many other facebook sites. I hate it but I am on my cell phone and or tablet and hardly ever come to home computer anymore. I love it here on SCS but get so frustrated when someone posts something they are looking for and NEVER come back on and say whether or not the found it. miss the old SCS the age of technology has taken over to different sites. I used to be on craigslist a lot and bought and sold many crafty things there, it is not the same either everyone has jumped to facebook. sad things change. I just cant be tied down to a home computer anymore since I have the other options
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #181  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by diecuts4uView Post
I cant sign on from my cell phone or tablet. It says I have the wrong password, I think not, so now I just go to many many other facebook sites. I hate it but I am on my cell phone and or tablet and hardly ever come to home computer anymore. I love it here on SCS but get so frustrated when someone posts something they are looking for and NEVER come back on and say whether or not the found it. miss the old SCS the age of technology has taken over to different sites. I used to be on craigslist a lot and bought and sold many crafty things there, it is not the same either everyone has jumped to facebook. sad things change. I just cant be tied down to a home computer anymore since I have the other options
Cell phones and tablets frequently capitalize the first letter - our passwords are case sensitive, and so that might be causing your problem.

The mobile version of the site is really nice. You don't need a home computer to sign on
Reply With Quote Likes