Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #161  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
That's assuming that SU drastically expands their color choices and design choices. We don't know yet how long it will take them to phase in more. One of the draws for UCL is the huge variety.
This was one of my concerns EXACTLY. Wouldn't a demo who had previously sold from a huge catalog full of beautiful images in so many drastically different styles (babies, boys, girls, country, ecclectic, neoclassic...) look pretty silly handing her customers a 6 page brochure of a minute (albeit beautiful, well done) selection of images in 2-3 colors saying "look how fabulous these are! I'm only selling these now!"? As SU grows this, it would be something that I would love transitioning into as I introduce my customers to the growing line, but I also have my customer's needs/wants to consider as that is happening. If you have never seen UCL, you need to to understand why this is. Before you start again...I KNOW more is coming. I UNDERSTAND that this is just phase one.

Last edited by Tressabstampin; 06-18-2008 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: big spelling error
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
I find it funny that so many people who have a problem with SU expanding "out of their box" were so THRILLED when Martha Stewart did it! :???: why is it ok for her to pursue a new niche and not SU?
I think the problem most people are having is that Martha Stewart does not employ independent demos. Obviously SU can do whatever they want. I just feel bad for people who now have to pick a business to drop. IMO wall decor is a big let down for me as a customer. I love SU but it's just one more thing to make my local craft stores look more appealing.

Scrappractical - The Blog
Cardstock Collector

This is kind of weird that this is my first time posting...ever!

I have been a SU demonstrator for 4 years now. I truly enjoy being able to bless women by showing them that they too can create a beautiful work of art. I see confidence growing in the women that come to my workshops. It's wonderful!

One thing I value from the business *I* personally do with any company (whether it be the grocery store, post office, mechanic, etc.) is honesty. When my customers ask me my opinion on an SU product, I give them my honest answer. I feel they deserve it. Just like someone else said, we aren't going to like everything a company comes out with. I'm sure everyone can think of their own personal pros and cons about SU.

I love SU because I love stamping! I love creating! I love watching others create and seeing a smile light up their face! I'm terrible with the business side of it. My upline will say "Amen!" to that. I just want to have fun and share that fun with others.

Am I personally excited about this new product? Nope. Will I offer it to my customers? Sure. There are things in the current catalog that I'm not excited about. There will probably be things in the new catalog that I won't be excited about. But I have customers who will be. And if they like it, go for it! But if they ask my opinion, I will give it honestly.

I signed up with SU because of STAMPing, not for home decor. But if my customers want to take it to that new level, go for it, but I am going to continue down the stamping and scrapbooking road. I am in SU for that reason and that reason alone. I believe that's what every new demonstrator had in mind--stamping!

Now, I am curious to see what the new catalog brings...
Rubber Obsessor

I am also disappointed with this new addition. I was also hoping it would have to do with scrapbooking. I have been a SU customer exclusively for the last 4 years, but I was not impressed with the last catolog at all !!I did not buy one stamp set out of it.If the new in colors are what is in store for the new catty, then my friends and I will not be buying from Su. In fact we have all switched to buying from 2 online companies which have free shipping
Matboard Maniac

Default Not at all the same....

[

-Never get so busy making a living, that you forget to make a life-

Last edited by shanbz; 06-19-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanbzView Post
Lastly, for folks that think you can't work for 2 companies at once...really? How many demos out there have full time jobs and are doing SU on the side? And meeting/exceeding minimums, supporting downlines, achieving cruise, etc. That's not an argument in my book at all. Sure some people can't manage it, but a blanket charge of you'll stink if you have 2 jobs...please.
The issue isn't working for two companies or the ability of demonstrators to hold down two jobs. The issue is the agreement all demonstrators sign saying they will not work for two companies who sell similar items. Like not being able to work for both Coke and Pepsi. It becomes a conflict of interest. I think some demonstrators are upset -- and IMHO understandably so -- because they have worked on building two -- at the time -- unrelated businesses and are now having to choose between these two companies. Sure they can continue to do both hoping one or both don't find out about it, but that is a moral and ethical question only they can answer.

I honestly am not thrilled by this new decor idea, I prefer plain old paint and framed art and photographs, but again that is just me. And as a hobby demo, I don't have to worry about feigning excitement to customers over a product I honestly do not like.
Matboard Maniac

[

Last edited by shanbz; 06-19-2008 at 09:34 AM..
Polyshrink Goddess

UCL is giving their demos until July 1 to decide which company they will demo for- so this is not just a SU issue- both companies have the same clause in their contracts.

I personnally love that SU is expanding its product line- this will expand my customer base and that is a good thing.

I am sorry that people have to make a choice- I had to do the same thing many years ago between SU and CM - I choose SU and haven't ever regretted it!

Good luck-
Diane

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a peek at them, and admittedly, they are pretty. But, price point is a huge issue as just one set would not be enough to adorn my space in the way that I'd like and it's just quite simply cost prohibitive. I won't be buying them. Just doesn't seem worth it IMO.
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey Wenchie! Hi! Long time no see since the Blue place!!!
Matboard Maniac

[

Last edited by shanbz; 06-19-2008 at 09:34 AM..
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstampsView Post
UCL is giving their demos until July 1 to decide which company they will demo for- so this is not just a SU issue- both companies have the same clause in their contracts.

I personnally love that SU is expanding its pro?duct line- this will expand my customer base and that is a good thing.

I am sorry that people have to make a choice- I had to do the same thing many years ago between SU and CM - I choose SU and haven't ever regretted it!

Good luck-
Diane
Where did you read this Diane?
Polyshrink Goddess

It was posted by a UCL demonstrator- on another list I am on.

Diane

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

My biggest issue with this is that, although they say this has been in the works a LONG time, less than 6 months ago a demo, who shall remain nameless was told, point blank, to her face (and I mean literally a face to face conversation), by not one, but TWO of the top executives in SU, that vinyl wall art was NOT ON THE RADAR. Doesn't much sound like the "warm fuzzies" that SU professes to want their demos to feel.

! :-)
no bashing- just a different point of view....
think about the above not-named demo who spoke personally with SU! upper execs....From *their* point of view- are they really supposed to tell her that they have this huge new grand idea in the works, but, shhh....keep it a secret?!
That would just be a poor business choice for them~ kwim? There is NO way that Darla Demo would go home and be quiet and not share the news.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Matboard Maniac

Last edited by shanbz; 06-19-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
no bashing- just a different point of view....
think about the above not-named demo who spoke personally with SU! upper execs....From *their* point of view- are they really supposed to tell her that they have this huge new grand idea in the works, but, shhh....keep it a secret?!
That would just be a poor business choice for them~ kwim? There is NO way that Darla Demo would go home and be quiet and not share the news.
There are ways to elequently tell somebody that they should think long and hard about any second company they might want to become involved with before investing their money and signing on the dotted line if they are already signed with SU. They could have stated that SU is currently looking into numerous avenues and signing up with any other direct sales company could become a conflict of interest. They wouldn't have to say, "no, you better not sign up but keep our answer quiet." If after being told that signing up with any other company regardless of the product type could become a conflict and the demonstrator still chose to sign up, then that's the risk she took. But to be told that "it's not even on our radar" was not a good way to do it.
Stazon Splitcoast

I just don't think they entered into this new venture in the last couple of months. I don't think they did it to get back at the demos that got together and had a meeting about their UCL business on the SU! cruise. And I don't think SU! was required to tell anyone what they had in the works until they were ready to.
Matboard Maniac

Last edited by shanbz; 06-19-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know what they were working on 6-8 months ago, but after getting a survey about home decor and having the possibility of home decor business posted in the letter from Dale Filmore to demos on April 30th, I wasn't surprised that this was the new product line. I'm not getting any warm fuzzies from it, but I'm not getting any bad vibes either. Maybe it was something that was presented to them in the last few months and they were able to bring it to market rather quickly. We don't know. But I don't think that SU! entered into this to spite the dual demos.
Matboard Maniac

I am a SU demonstrator, and i was surprised about the new line....it is nice to see...but i have to admit, in the time it took me to read this thread, I made vinyl wall coverings for my daughters room. I made her name and some flowers in a pretty light purple vinyl on my expression.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

[
OK, I am not sure what this means??? :( Could someone clearify for me, is this one of those things like "lol" or ROTFL"? :confused:

Thanks, Sandy O
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulssandyView Post
OK, I am not sure what this means??? :( Could someone clearify for me, is this one of those things like "lol" or ROTFL"? :confused:

Thanks, Sandy O
No, she went back and deleted all her comments. They took away the ability to edit your posts awhile back because people were abusing it and they recently gave it back. In cases like this I wish that you couldn't go back and clear out what was said. It obviously makes the thread hard to follow.
Stazon Splitcoast

This is from the TOS...

The edit feature is to be used carefully. It is appropriate to edit a post in order to update or clarify. It is not appropriate to delete all of your text or completely change a post. We ask that you think carefully before submitting a thread to ensure you are being clear and are expressing yourself in the manner you are comfortable with. If we find the editing function is being abused that function will be shut down.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vz5dzhView Post
I just don't think they entered into this new venture in the last couple of months. I don't think they did it to get back at the demos that got together and had a meeting about their UCL business on the SU! cruise. And I don't think SU! was required to tell anyone what they had in the works until they were ready to.
Now this is just MHO, but how in the world would a company be able to do all of this in house in just 6 or less months. My goodness, think about all that would go into planning and executing such a thing. I used to work for Document Control in a company and alot of time goes into just the "how to's" of production, never mind setting up the manufacturing area, hiring all the people and training them, deciding which designes to try and getting the artwork done, finding the best suppliers, getting all the kinks out of the process, packaging, pricing and so much more. Personally I can't see it all happening that quickly.

I am excited that SU is expanding their horizons, and am excited to see what is coming up. I was not hoping for wall art, since most of my house is wall papered and it would not go, but....it is not all about me. I know alot of folks who have painted walls that could use such a product. And it really is a fast, inexpensive and fun way to give a room a new look. In this economy, how can that hurt?
scrapperazzi

Quote:

If we lose the edit button again, this is why.
Stazon Splitcoast

One thing that would help cut down the development time is that they are using their own images that were already designed for the stamps, but I still think it took awhile to get this executed.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

No, she went back and deleted all her comments. They took away the ability to edit your posts awhile back because people were abusing it and they recently gave it back. In cases like this I wish that you couldn't go back and clear out what was said. It obviously makes the thread hard to follow.
OH, thank you so much, I was getting confused because it looked like the poster was responding to other posts in some way. If it were just once I would have figured it was a fluke, but there were several of them. :?
Sandy O
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MewsinView Post
If we lose the edit button again, this is why.

That is just what I was going to say. If you say something, own it.

Don't go back and erase what you wrote ~ that is NOT the purpose of the edit button!!
Mad Swapper

Quote:

One thing that would help cut down the development time is that they are using their own images that were already designed for the stamps, but I still think it took awhile to get this executed.
This is very true. That would have save ALOT of time. I do think, though, that deciding which ones to use and how to size them for this purpose would still be a painsaking task. I only know about the paper work updating process, none of the other processes. It could very well be that they decided all this in a week, using the competitors dementions and the most sold sets as guide lines. This really is something we probably will never know for sure, but....need to trust that the company is doing what they think is best for the company, which includes us demos and the customers. With out these, there would be not SU! ;) So...I will just go with the flow and enjoy the ride, even if I have to change the way I am rowing just a bit
Sandy O
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post

Don't go back and erase what you wrote ~ that is NOT the purpose of the edit button!!
Not only that, but it really makes one look bad if they erase thier post. One tends to think that you said something really bad, rather than something good. KWIM??? It is probably better to keep the post up instead of letting imaginations run wild, which could be worse than anything you might have said.

I hardly ever post, but I guess I am talkative today, ;) :p
Sandy O
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post

Sorry - I never knew that the edit button was being abused. I decided to remove myself fully from the conversation simply to end being bashed. Self preservation and that's the only reason.

Pearl-ExPert

I think this SU!/UCL issue stinks. I am not a demo for either, but let's consider this... What if SU!'s vinyl stuff bombs??? Those demos who were with both companies and left UCL would then be left with NOTHING in the vinyl area? KWIM?
Maybe the SU! demos would be better off switching to another stamp company that doesn't carry the vinyl stuff, thus sticking to stamping and UCL? I don't know. It's a tough call and I think SU! and UCL should give the product time to catch on or flop before making demos decide who to leave. Then again, I don't own either company, so who am I to say?

Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sorry - I never knew that the edit button was being abused. I decided to remove myself fully from the conversation simply to end being bashed. Self preservation and that's the only reason.
I didn't mean to make you feel bad, I was just curious what it meant. On the other hand, you should not be "bashed" or "flamed" for your posts. That is the main reason why I post so rarely. Sandy O
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulssandyView Post
I didn't mean to make you feel bad, I was just curious what it meant. On the other hand, you should not be "bashed" or "flamed" for your posts. That is the main reason why I post so rarely. Sandy O

I hear ya! :-) I try not to get drawn in. Sorry if I confused anyone. Or offended, etc. Easy to do on here when no one should have a dissenting opinion. :rolleyes:

Stazon Splitcoast

If there was bashing going on the mods would've stepped in and closed the thread. People were stating their opinions.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

dissenting
OH NO, you used a "big" word, :shock: now I am going to have to look it up, ;) I have a simple mind, LOL Thank goodness for the online dictionary, I don't even have to get up :p JK, I am in a goofy mood today ;)
Sandy O
Rubber Obsessor

I was a demo and now am a SU customer. I know my former upline and current demonstrator will do a great job at promoting this product line. Whether she likes it or not.

As the US economy and global economy emerge and change, US companies must adapt and change as well. I previously worked in interior design for a window treatment business. I can tell you first hand how frustrating it is to find coordinating anything. And that was when I had access to almost anything in the home decor' market through my employer. The fact that SU is offering home decor and crafting products for the do-it-yourselfer is gold. I am now working as a sales rep in the gift market, which much to my surprise has some design elements in it as well. So you need to know, this "writing on the wall" is HOT. You haven't seen the beginning of this yet.

SU made a bold and inspired move. Yes, it was risky. But business expansion is about taking risk. It's also about attracting new customers. Let's face it, if selling rubber stamps was easy, EVERYONE, would do it.

From my vantage point, SU has consistently stayed current with style, trend and color. Now, they have offered on a platter, a new product line to help expand their ( and the demos) business base. There are few other companies that keep this close to the leading edge.

I don't demo anymore because, frankly, at the end of a full time day, I'm tired of customers. Now I get to play and enjoy the down time. I have a wonderful demonstrator and former upline. She says she's not creative, but like I said before I know this will be viewed as a business expansion. And if it isn't, she will act in a business type manner, I will not ever be aware of it.

IMOHO, gail
Compulsive Stamper

Question Make your own vinyl wall covering?

Quote:

Originally Posted by taibooView Post
I am a SU demonstrator, and i was surprised about the new line....it is nice to see...but i have to admit, in the time it took me to read this thread, I made vinyl wall coverings for my daughters room. I made her name and some flowers in a pretty light purple vinyl on my expression.
You said that you made your own vinyl wall covering for your daughter's room. I would love to know how you did that! Thanks!
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

If there was bashing going on the mods would've stepped in and closed the thread. People were stating their opinions.
I agree. I didn't see any bashing. The poster who removed her posts stated her opinions, some people didn't agree. There are a lot of complaints about how "No dissenting opinions are allowed" but that only seems to be when someone disagrees with them. I see plenty of dissenting opinions all the time; but if you have one, some people will obviously disagree. That's kind of the point of a discussion. But I didn't see any personal insults. Maybe that's just me.
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Some times it takes awhile, though. Luckily, nothing on this thread has been personal attacks, but I've been on the receiving end of personal attacks on demo threads. The mods do the best they can, but it took some PM's from other SCSers to mods to make them aware of one thread in particular where the bashing went from talking about the product/issue to bashing me personally. Thank goodness SCS is generally an okay/non-personal bashing place to be (but I stay out of Current Events so can't vouch for that forum!) but with the tons of new threads that are started everyday, I know I'd hate to be a mod trying to keep up with everything to nip-in-the-bud of personal attacks.