With the loss of my creative mojo during COVID as I've mentioned (enough times to choke a horse), I subscribed to Stampin' Up's Paper Pumpkin last June. I usually like to make cards for people where the theme fits the person, whether it is focusing on a hobby, their job, their favorite song, movie, etc. I was really excited when my first kit arrived, and I saw pineapples among the die-cuts included, because my youngest daughter was born in Hawaii.
A few weeks after the kit arrived, I saw an alternative card idea that I really, really loved, but I have not been able to find it again. I remembered it used the kit paper card fold with the bright alcohol-ink-style background, plus the black/ white polka dot paper in a smaller center panel. The pineapple was used as a tropical drink receptacle formed by fussy-cutting its top off along the pineapples diamond "scales." I wish I could find the exact card I saw to give that cardmaker credit for my "memory casing," but alas, no such luck!
Playing my "Challenge Catch-up" cardmaking, I found 14 challenges that would work for my card design, as follows:
1) MSP44 - Misti Monthly Mondays Challenge/ Polka Time - 4/5/21. Use polka dots somehow/ somewhere on your card.
2) AOCC21 - All Occasion Card Challenge/ April 2021 - Ongoing Annually. This challenge encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to complete and mail your cards timely! This is an April birthday card for my daughter made and delivered timely!
3) USEIT2021 - Use It Challenge/ April 2021 - Ongoing Annually. This challenge requires you to use old, long unused items gathering dust and/or new items purchased but seemingly forgotten...never opened or used! I used all new/ never used items lurking for at least 10 months! A stamp set purchase in April 2020, a Paper Pumpkin kit from June 2020, and a stamp borrowed from my sister she had yet to open or use.
4) ABC14X24 - Alphabet Challenge/ X = X-tra! - 3/31/21. My "X-tra" card has a whole lot of extra layers, extra elements, extra papers, and extra colors!
5) S2S21JAN - Stamp 2 Save (aka Stamp 2 Support One Another)/ Dreams - 1/1/21. Challenged to make at least 5 cards that support the theme, and this is my fifth and final card for the January 2021 theme. The challenge: dream something you'd like to do if COVID was totally over and show it on your card! A vacation to a tropical destination would be fabulous...to enjoy the beautiful scenery; to attend a lovely Polynesian luau, with a delicious tropical beverage served with a straw in a pretty half pineapple shell!
6) CT1120 - Fan Club Monthly Themes--November 2020/ Thanks a Thousand - 11/16/20. My card supports the central theme with the interpretation, "make a card inspired by someone you are thankful for"...send it to them. My card is a birthday card for my much loved youngest daughter, who was born in Hawaii, thus the tropical theme. She has brought me so much joy, and I'm truly thankful she is my daughter and my friend.
7) WT790 - Ways to Use It Challenge/ April Showers Need Umbrellas - 4/30/20. It's ironic, but this April birthday card is for my daughter, who loves umbrellas and must own at least 30 in every conceivable design and color and that also coordinate with galoshes as well! It's sure a good thing that each umbrella did not need a different pair of galoshes to complete her "fashion" statement! She is Hawaiian born, thus her card features a tropical pineapple beverage, which needs an umbrella as well!
MIX377 - Mix-ability Challenge/ Vacation Time! - 4/17/20. Everyone in our family would be enjoying and de-stressing on a shared vacation to a tropical destination! Mediums used: Copic markers, Stamping ink, Wink of Stella/ Clear.
9) IC688 - Inspiration Challenge/ Accessorize - 2/9/19. I found this inspiration, which inspired a tropical theme, pineapples, and the start of the color theme. Metallic Pineapple Print Tote.
10) FS619 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ She has a Gallery to Di for... aka Di - 12/16/18. It was a delight to browse Di's gallery. I chose her punch art pineapple card to CASE: Punch Art Pineapples!. I chose this card for its pineapple theme and colors. I kept the tropical, happy birthday theme with the pineapple idea, but turned it into a tropical beverage container. I kept the black & white colors, but added other tropical colors, patterned paper, and mat layers. I changed the layout design completely. I thought it clever how Di made her pineapples using the punch art technique.
11) SC724 - Sketch Challenge - 11/21/18. Sketch adjusted from a CAS sketch to a many layered sketch with basic positioning retained: I increased the number of layers to three for each number single number layer: #3, the base has a set of three mat layers. #1, the center has a set of three mat layers. #2 circle element used for the sentiment and changed to a geometric angled shape. Other die-cut and fussy-cut elements were added to #1's upper most set of layers to build the card theme.
12) CC687 - Color Challenge/ Calypso Coral, Peek-A-Boo Peach, Crushed Curry, Pear Pizzazz - 5/15/18. I took a few liberties with the colors...especially the green. Mine is more of a grass green than pear pizzazz. The other colors displayed in a whole range of light to dark shades of each color requirement. So, I hope my range of color shading works for the challenge.
13) MMTPT493 - Teapot Challenge/ Music by the Sea - 12/31/17. I'm playing my "Challenge Catch-up cardmaking." This card is for my youngest daughter's birthday, but this tropical beverage card would have been perfect for this teapotter from Hawaii. It uses materials from my June 2020 Paper Pumpkin kit, as well as additional papers, an umbrella stamp, and my sister's hibiscus stamp to create this Paper Pumpkin Alternative card.
14) F4A409 - Free 4 All Challenge/ Feeling Fruity! - 12/22/17. A pineapple and a fruity tropical beverage are the theme of my card.
Ingredients: Stampin' Up products: June 2020 Paper Pumpkin Box of Sunshine--Patterned papers, sentiment stamp, sentiment die-cut shape, pineapple die-cut. Cardstock--Basic Black, Whisper White, Crushed Curry, Gold Foil. Stamps--Under My Umbrella. Other: My Favorite Things--Birdie Brown Polynesian Paradise stamps (hibiscus). ColorBox Ink: Chestnut Roan (ink distressing). Copic Markers. Wink of Stella/ Clear (hibiscus). EK Corner Punch--Victorian Medium. Chatterbox Computer verse. Size: 4-3/4" x 6-1/4".
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Registered: October 5, 2006 Location: Maryland Posts: 15433
Wed, Apr 14, 2021 @ 3:05 AM
Wow, love this card Carlene and I am sure your daughter will love it as well! The pineapple is the perfect drink container and love all of the layers and the use of the color challenge (as well as the other challenges)! Hugs and thanks so much for inspiring all of us!
Registered: July 20, 2007 Location: Fergus, Ontario, Canada Posts: 49660
Wed, Apr 14, 2021 @ 7:51 AM
Carlene, this card is absolutely stunnimg! I love that pineapple 'drink'. The coloursare so vibrant and fresh. I love tge gold touches too, and even the bg is beautiful. I think I might CASE this one. Pinned.'
"Surely His salvation is near those who fear Him, that His glory may dwell in our land." Psalm 85:9