Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Nuvo Glimmer Paste Help

I've been playing with the Nuvo Glimmer Paste and stencils and although I've watched tons of videos I'm having trouble cleaning the stencils. I put them immediately in a sink filled with warm water and Dawn and use a nail brush to try to remove the Glimmer Paste. After almost 5 min. there is still paste on them. I tried using a Dobie pad and that helped but bent parts of the stencils. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have a lot of this the Nuvo as well as Cosmic Shimmer paste and would like to use it for my Christmas cards but don't want to ruin my stencils.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Diane, I have the Cosmic Shimmer, but not the Nuvo. I've also made my own glitter pastes using translucent stencil paste & adding my own glitter.
In each case, to clean the stencil afterwards, I've had to use either a pan scrubber( the ones with the sponge one side and a rougher sheet on the other), or in some cases, a metal pan scourer, you know the sort that looks like a bundle of swarf? This one I've actually found to be the best solution.

I haven't damaged any stencils yet, but I will say the safest way to do it is to lay either some kitchen paper, or a dish drying cloth on your worksurface by the sink, and lay the stencil flat on that before doing any scrubbing. Just be as gentle as you can, and I found that working in a single direction, rather than generally scrubbing back and forward, is the best way here.Do it slowly, especially on stencils that have any parts that would snag easily.

Start using as little pressure as possible, and just gradually increase until you are getting them clean.
It can also help to have a toothbrush to get into any fine detail, but I do agree this stuff is not easy to remove from mylar stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have the paste you are talking about but you might want to try Murphy's Oil Soap. I use it get acrylic paint off my stencils and brayer after it was suggested here and was amazed. If I let it soak long enough the paint practically falls off.

The key is to let it soak long enough. The first time I did not leave it that long and most of the paint was still stuck. Decided to try again because too many people here had raved about how great it worked. A good 24 to 48 hour soak (the first time there was a lot of paint to get off) and my brayer and stencils were like new with only the gentlest of rubbing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Shazsilverwolf and stampin stacy; I will try both. DH and I went food shopping and I got a package of the metal scrubbers. DH used Undu on a small area on one of the stencils to see if it would work - it did BUT it would take forever to get all the Glimmer Paste off just one stencil and I'm not willing to spend that much time cleaning a stencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Ut oh. I am glad you brought this up. I have some but have not used it yet. I never had that trouble with Dreamweaver pastes but I also only used them with metal stencils. Sounds like I may have to do that with this too? Bummer.

I usually scrape off excess as much as possible just to reduce waste and my chances of smearing my card...then I wipe it off immediately while wet with paper towel and if I cant wash it, put it water....though putting it in water is supposed to keep it wet!?
Some of the mylar stencils are so thin to me...not hard plastic. They scare me a bit being hamfisted. Are they that kind or regular hard plastic stencils?

I would contact the company and see what they say about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I've been playing with the Nuvo Glimmer Paste and stencils and although I've watched tons of videos I'm having trouble cleaning the stencils. I put them immediately in a sink filled with warm water and Dawn and use a nail brush to try to remove the Glimmer Paste. After almost 5 min. there is still paste on them. I tried using a Dobie pad and that helped but bent parts of the stencils. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have a lot of this the Nuvo as well as Cosmic Shimmer paste and would like to use it for my Christmas cards but don't want to ruin my stencils.

Oh, I�m sorry. I just have two colors, and have only used them once. I first gently wiped off what I could with a damp paper towel, then put them in hot soapy water for just a few minutes, and everything wiped off with the type of scrubbie you�d use for non-stick pans. Did The water get cold, by any chance?

I wonder if something like Goof Off would help, since it�s great at getting anything sticky off - and doesn�t even harm cardstock, not that your stencils are cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Wavejumper, I've not had any problems removing 'standard' Dreamweaver pastes, nor another brand, Sweet Poppy, from stencils. It seems to be something that the glitter, or maybe the translucent/clear stencil paste has in it that causes it to stick so much. If I haven't got water to hand, I'll lay it on a baby wipe, and cover with another. As my craft room is on the mid level, I have to either go up or downstairs to a sink, I finally had the sense to buy a plastic tub with a lid to take some water into my craft room when I'm going to be doing something using paste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 03:45 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I don't have the paste you are talking about but you might want to try Murphy's Oil Soap. I use it get acrylic paint off my stencils and brayer after it was suggested here and was amazed. If I let it soak long enough the paint practically falls off.

The key is to let it soak long enough. The first time I did not leave it that long and most of the paint was still stuck. Decided to try again because too many people here had raved about how great it worked. A good 24 to 48 hour soak (the first time there was a lot of paint to get off) and my brayer and stencils were like new with only the gentlest of rubbing.

I�d also heard that Murphy�s Oil Soap with a very long soak in hot water was super, and had watched a video with an art teacher using it way back when. I looked but couldn�t find the video, but stumbled across this one using liquid dishwasher detergent. I keep meaning to get Murphy�s despite not loving the smell, but maybe this will also do the trick.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

bjeans, thanks for the video. Since I have some dishwasher detergent I'll try this before buying Murphy's Oil Soap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Diane, let us know how it goes - you’ll be the group tester or guinea pig. : ) And you know it’s gel, not powder, that apparently works well. I found something else that mentioned that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

bjeans, yes I know it's gel and although I usually use the tabs I have half a container of gel left and will try using the Glitter Paste and then cleaning the stencils in the water and gel and let everyone know how it turns out. I was supposed to teach a class using glitter paste and stencils on Wed. to my Card Making Group using my glitter paste and stencils but postponed it until I can get the stencils cleaned better since I usually use the stencils with distress inks and either finger daubers or Ranger blending foam and don't want all that glitter paste residue on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

I used translucent paste and then added clear glitter after...that paste came off ok. I am thinking maybe it's the metal vs the plastic?

LOL on the water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

I work with acrylics, gel/matte mediums, and inks on my stencils and I have found the best cleaner in addition to Dawn Platinum dish soap is a bit of Murphy's Oil Soap. I add the oil soap to my container of water for soaking the stencils after use to loosen up the medium for easy cleaning.
I have also used the soap to soak stencils covered in dried acrylic paint that has been on the stencils for days, weeks, months from previous use.
With a little scrubbing with a dollar store facial brush or a sponge with a teflon scrubbing side to remove the dried medium. They come out nice and clean ready for action.
In addition, I'll use the (diluted) solution to clean up my gelli plates and soak my brayers in the solution to remove acrylic paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Follow up on cleaning Nuvo Glimmer Paste from stencils: spent time over the past few days using all of the brands of Glimmer or Glitter paste that I have: Nuvo, Cosmic Shimmer and Bo Bunny. I filled a small basin with hot water and Cascade dishwasher detergent and put the stencils in the basin immediately after using them. I removed as much of the glitter paste from the stencils with a palette knife before putting them in the basin. They soaked for 2 hours while I made and ate dinner. With just a little scrubbing with a rough sponge they all came out very clean, not perfect but clean enough that there was only tiny bits of glitter left in some spots. The Bo Bunny paste was easier to use and to get clean since it is thinner than the Nuvo or Cosmic Shimmer. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
harvestmoon (12-12-2021)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Subscribing to this thread....I just today ordered Nuvo glitter paste, not realizing it would be nasty to clean off of stencils!!!!
So glad I was surfing SCS and spotted this thread.
I will make sure to have Cascade dishwasHer gel on hand for use immediately after using the paste on the stencils. I detest fiddly cleanup after a craft project, so hopefully this will minimize the fiddling!
Thanks so much to everyone who pitched in with ideas and hands on experience with this paste removal issue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Follow up on cleaning Nuvo Glimmer Paste from stencils: spent time over the past few days using all of the brands of Glimmer or Glitter paste that I have: Nuvo, Cosmic Shimmer and Bo Bunny. I filled a small basin with hot water and Cascade dishwasher detergent and put the stencils in the basin immediately after using them. I removed as much of the glitter paste from the stencils with a palette knife before putting them in the basin. They soaked for 2 hours while I made and ate dinner. With just a little scrubbing with a rough sponge they all came out very clean, not perfect but clean enough that there was only tiny bits of glitter left in some spots. The Bo Bunny paste was easier to use and to get clean since it is thinner than the Nuvo or Cosmic Shimmer. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Thanks for letting us know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I just tried some glimmer paste through a stencil on some SU c.s. Wondering how long it takes to dry? I am going to leave it over night for sure, but just wondering what your experience has been.

TIA
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I just tried some glimmer paste through a stencil on some SU c.s. Wondering how long it takes to dry? I am going to leave it over night for sure, but just wondering what your experience has been.

TIA

Shirl
I didn't use SU cs but the glimmer paste dried in a little over an hour when I used it. I also live a a very dry climate. I haven't used any SU white cs in years but I thought it had a coated feel to it and if so, that would take longer to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I’m way late responding to this, but I just found the thread while googling for some way to get Taylored Expressions glitter happy medium off my brand new stencil. Since it’s part of their quads stencil set that makes four cards at a time, it stayed on longer than usual to cover all the parts on an 8x10” stencil sheet. I immediately wiped with a wet wipe after scraping the excess off. Nothing but a mess.

I soaked in soapy warm water for 10 minutes and scrubbed. Which was better, but still red. Not wanting to soak for hours because it’s a rare day I’m taking away from work to make Christmas cards, I was frustrated and sad. Then I looked over and saw the Mr Clean thin sheet I use to clean the sink. Wowza, a few rubs and it’s all gone!

JoAnn

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by JoAnn Ross:
DianeinSparks (12-09-2021), hultenlk (12-15-2021), pepperann (12-09-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:14 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

JoAnn,
so glad you found a solution, and shared it with us!

Are Mr Clean thin sheets the magic eraser product in sheets rather than the block style?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Susy,

Yes, They come in a package with several small thin sheets that work the same as the block eraser. Just easier to use for some things. The block would work the same, but I’ve come to prefer the sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification, JoAnn. I just happen to have a box of those sheets in my cleaning supplies. One will now be stored with my embossing pastes, with a note on how to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Happy to help, Susy. I just used one again successfully yesterday for an iridescent glimmer paste. I have found red the most difficult to get off. If might take some additional soaking time. Happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes