Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic "Special Black"

Can someone please tell me what the difference between Copic "Black" and "Special Black" is.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Default Copic Black (#100) & Special Black (#110): Back to Back

I've been experimenting with these blacks for a while now. I've used at least 6 different surfaces from various papers to oil-based painted pages to primed canvas. What I've found is that the Copic Black #100 seems closer to the paint color Mars Black in that it has a slightly warmer undertone. There's a tiny reddish, warm color in the Copic Black that I noticed most on high-gloss paper and acrylic-primed canvas under bright light. Copic Special Black #110 seems darker than Black on most side-by-side comparisons. No warmness, just deep, charcoal black. It also seems to block more light under a bright lamp. But on most paper, like a printer paper or sketch book grade paper, and on most painted-surface tests, they both looked so close that they may as well have been the same. Most paper tends to absorbs the ink and pigment in such a way that makes both blacks look almost identical. And when you scan both, even at high resolution, there's no variation between the Black and Special Black. I also used a Copic Colorless Blender and blended both blacks to a smoky blur on Bee Paper brand Pen Sketcher's pad and they showed some blue undertones, but again, the Copic Black seemed warmer than the Special Black. When you layer either of these blacks too much, again, you could never tell the difference between them. Also, the subtle qualities are noticed more when the pens get dry or at the end of a quick stroke. But when you go over the area more than a few times you get the same look on both blacks.

I know that's really wonkish and more detail than anyone needs, but I'm way into deconstructing black ink, I guess.

ernestoyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the great explanation! Your level of detail is much appreciated.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Quite an explanantion

Wow - Ernest - that is quite an explanation. How detailed. Very impressive. You must have wonderful eyesight.

Thank you for pointing it out though. Most of us need not worry now about getting both black colored Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes