Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #81  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Markie's Mom and Sandy: Thank you both for your input on air compressors. I found the information to be a great help in helping me decide on an air compressor. I did get the 40psi from Harbor Freight in Battle Creek. I've tried it a couple of times for practice and I thought the backgrounds came out awesome. I can't wait to start creating my cards with it. I've ordered a couple of silhouette stamps because I think they look so cool with the airbrushed backgrounds. I girl with a compressor....cracks me up. Love this Splitcoaststampers...it has so much info and answers to so many questions and the gallery is a great resource for ideas. So many neat girls out there that are willing to help each other become better card makers/scrapbookers. Hats off to each and every one of you!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #82  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribing thanks for the info!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #83  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shulsartView Post
I am Copic Certified and have been using my compressor and airbrush for almost 2 years now. I have the Sparmax AC-100 that Copic recommends, I paid $149 for it. I set my regulator at 50psi and if you check out my blogs, my scenic one in particular you will see it works wonderfully.
Yesterday I played with this model from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...5630&Submit=Go
it runs until it hits 55psi, then kicks off until the pressure hits 42psi, then starts back up. I had no problems with it, my airbrushing was just as smooth as the model I own that you can set the psi and get continuous air.
My thoughts on the smaller model that Markies Mom has, is if you will be using this a lot, as I do, you are running this machine full tilt at its maximum all the time. I wonder how long it will last as this would seem to stress the motor out. It is only rated for a max of 40psi, which is the minimum that Copic suggest for use with the markers.
As far as control of spray, that is done with the trigger rather than the psi. The harder you press on the trigger, the more air is delivered. I work with very light pressure and short bursts of air, pulling the handle toward me. If you exert a lot of pressure and extended bursts of air, all you are doing is drying out the tip and wasting ink.
Also, you use less ink with the air brush system than you do direct to paper with the markers. If you use a marker in the airbrush and don't seem to be getting good coverage, adjust the chisel tip. They are inserted in a factory and sometimes they are in too far, sometimes they are out too far. If you get a lot of overspray (lots of small dots outside your spraying area) your marker is probably overfilled, take the other cap off as you use it. This will create suction within the barrel and slow the ink delivery.
These are just my thoughts, the bottom line is that if it works for you, great. Hope it helps. Sandy

I forgot to thank Sandy as well...oops! :oops: You have given me lots of great ideas (remember the copic chart?), thank you!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #84  
Crimping Master

Gina, you will love this! I am looking forward to MANY "Stamp TV" episopes regarding Copic air brushing. (no pressure!) LOL......And many thanks again to Faith for bringing this cost effective compressor to my/our attention. Is this one for everyone? Obviously not, but for many of us it fills a very cost effective alternative answer to Copic Airbrushing that works as well as I could imagine and can't imagine needing more.

Holly

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #85  
Die Cut Diva

If I buy the system from Harbor Freight, what else do I need in order to use it with my copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #86  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Chiming in!
I do have the "Sparmax" ... which is the one sold by Copics distributors. I just purchased this one in 2009.

Previously, I had a small air compressor that my DH picked up for me, which also had adjustable air pressure. The no-name was so loud that I had to set it in a separate room and supply enough air tubing to run it beneath a door into this separate stamping room of my studio. :( When it 'croaked' last winter, I was without a compressor, and left solely with air cans. What a "non-joy"! They either freeze up or run out of air in the middle of your project. Neither is pleasant.

The Sparmax is unique in that it does not "save up" a quantity of air. This one delivers air in a controlled volume to you, as it takes in air from its surroundings. It doesn't "store up" air like your DH's compressor (or like mine). ;) It is quiet enough that mine sits beneath my stamping table. If I want it, I turn it on ... tooooooo easy!

No, I'm not affiliated with the company. I'm merely a satisfied owner. ;)

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #87  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I am Copic Certified and have been using my compressor and airbrush for almost 2 years now. I have the Sparmax AC-100 that Copic recommends, I paid $149 for it. I set my regulator at 50psi and if you check out my blogs, my scenic one in particular you will see it works wonderfully.
Yesterday I played with this model from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...5630&Submit=Go
it runs until it hits 55psi, then kicks off until the pressure hits 42psi, then starts back up. I had no problems with it, my airbrushing was just as smooth as the model I own that you can set the psi and get continuous air.
My thoughts on the smaller model that Markies Mom has, is if you will be using this a lot, as I do, you are running this machine full tilt at its maximum all the time. I wonder how long it will last as this would seem to stress the motor out. It is only rated for a max of 40psi, which is the minimum that Copic suggest for use with the markers.
As far as control of spray, that is done with the trigger rather than the psi. The harder you press on the trigger, the more air is delivered. I work with very light pressure and short bursts of air, pulling the handle toward me. If you exert a lot of pressure and extended bursts of air, all you are doing is drying out the tip and wasting ink.
Also, you use less ink with the air brush system than you do direct to paper with the markers. If you use a marker in the airbrush and don't seem to be getting good coverage, adjust the chisel tip. They are inserted in a factory and sometimes they are in too far, sometimes they are out too far. If you get a lot of overspray (lots of small dots outside your spraying area) your marker is probably overfilled, take the other cap off as you use it. This will create suction within the barrel and slow the ink delivery.
These are just my thoughts, the bottom line is that if it works for you, great. Hope it helps. Sandy
Is the one from Harbor Freight loud? I have seen the posts about the smaller HB one and that it was quiet but this one isn't that much more and if it's as quiet it might be the one for me.

Thanks!

Jackie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

No, it is very quiet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #89  
Glitter Queen

I want to learn how to use copic markers and color better with Prisma Color pencils Any suggestions? I am just getting started in this whole card making thing. I live in Panama City Florida, but can't seem to locate a class.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #90  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

No, it is very quiet.
Thank you for the info. I have one more question and then I will quit :-) It says it is 100psi - is there a regulator that can be set at 40 or 50psi? How do you stop it from going to 100psi - wouldn't't that be too much pressure?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #92  
Mad Swapper

Thank you so much for the detailed information and suggestions. I would never be able to figure ABS out by myself.

I just got my Copics (love them) and am learning how to color with them. I've seen so many wonderful cards done with the ABS and now learning that I can get a smaller and much cheaper one from HB, I may just take the plunge.

My DH LOVES Harbour Freight and I'm sure will need to go there sometime soon anyway, he will be excited that he gets to buy me a tool. Of course he'll have to come and set it up and show me how to work it ;-). I'm sure he will also think of something to use it for even though he does have a small and huge one himself. He actually took my heat gun to the garage to use on something tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #93  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky PawsView Post
... ... He actually took my heat gun to the garage to use on something tonight.
heh heh heh ... DH's do seem to find a special little 'joy' in sharing a common "need" for a tool or two! My DH just borrowed my soldering iron a couple of days ago. Yes, he has his own, but it must be that "joy of sharing" thing. ;) And he especially admired my former "need" for an air compressor. "Hearing a faint sound of Tool Time Tim's cave-man sound."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #94  
Kookie Creator

Hey Ladies...

Thanks for all the info and hints...

Faith - your work is AMAZING! What a talented and inspiring person you are...

Any ideas where we can find a compressor in Canada? A long shot, I know but... The Harb. Freight cannot be shipped to Canada. And the ones that I can find here are very costly - like $179-239

TIA!

Happy Copic'ing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the airbrush system last year. I have a compressor. Just need to start playing with everything. I'm taking a Copic 101 class at my local stamp store next month. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #96  
Kookie Creator

bump...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #97  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for all the great info! My husband has a mission for tomorrow.... calling the nearest Harbor Freight store to see if they stock compressors... and if they don't I'm ordering it off the internet! This is so super duper exciting! Thanks bunches!

Smiles,

Brandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #98  
Crimping Master

My DH :-D came home tonight and told me he bought an air compressor for airbrushing. He thought we both would like it. I hadn't even told him about wanting one. He got this one. http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdep...aspx#abd_tc20t

So I ordered the ABS3 and 6 more sketch markers from Oozak.com since it is free shipping for orders of $50 or more. It came out to $50 exactly. I can't wait to play.

He said it is our anniversary present. That's acceptable. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #99  

I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I was wondering if the compressor available through Copic is ANY quieter than the one from Harbor Freight. Even if it's a slight difference I would like to know. And doesn't Copic have a newer version compressor?
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #100  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by versamomView Post
I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I was wondering if the compressor available through Copic is ANY quieter than the one from Harbor Freight. Even if it's a slight difference I would like to know. And doesn't Copic have a newer version compressor?
I have only heard my Sparmax 100 (Copic). I've never heard the one from Harbor Freight, although from the appearance they are very similar. Mine sounds similar to a softly quiet aquarium pump ... I keep it below my feet at my stampin' table.

One thing I'll suggest is, these little compressors will create a little variance in noise level depending on what surface you set it on. For example: If I place my little Sparmax (Copic) on top of my stamping table (6 ft. Sam's portable), it makes more noise because of the plastic/hollow surface. While on the tile floor, it's much quieter than on a table. Mine is barely noticeable as far as sound.

Maybe someone else will comment who has experience with the one from Harbor Freight. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #101  
Matboard Maniac

I own the Sparmax AC100 (retail $195) but have used the Harbor Freight (retail $84.99) compressor. The Sparmax is quieter although I don't think the Harbor Freight would be labeled as noisy, just noisier than the Sparmax. The difference is the HF shuts off and on and off and on as the PSI changes, whereas the Sparmax runs all the time. They both work equally well and for the price, if I had it to do over, I would purchase the HF.
I was looking at the new Sparmax Windstorm (retail $259) that Copic is recommending. It has the same auto-shut off feature that the HF model has (at twice the price) and all the same features, but it has an 1/8 hp motor, the HF model has a larger 1/5 hp motor. So again, the HF is better value for your money. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #102  

Thanks ladies!! I have the HF 1/8hp one. I've had if for like 2 months and FINALLY got it out of the box to give it a try. (why did I wait so long...hummm...don't know! Wanna see what I made? HERE)

A friend of mine was able to try the compressor Copic sells at a demo last week -- don't know which model it was. She said you could barely hear it -- so I am really curious as to how these compare side by side in the same environment. Mainly because I teach Copic classes...and I would like to know the answer if I'm asked by one of my students. I'm totally happy with the HF one -- especially for the price!! I don't think it's loud at all. I have it under my workspace.

One other thing I would like to know what everyone else does. So I have the compressor under my workspace. When I go to use it...the hose is a coil...and I can't set it down on my desktop...otherwise it will fall off. YKWIM? Cause the coils just pull it off the table. What do you all do when you want to set the tool down?
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #103  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got certified yesterday...and that was my first try airbrushing..i gotta say i now need a compressor.
Our rep has the copic one and it was super quiet..another girl had a bigger one, she had it on for a few minutes to charge it up then turned it off.
In going to the states next week and perhaps now a trip to the harbour frieght will be in order...now will i be alowed to ship it on the plane??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #104  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

One other thing I would like to know what everyone else does. So I have the compressor under my workspace. When I go to use it...the hose is a coil...and I can't set it down on my desktop...otherwise it will fall off. YKWIM? Cause the coils just pull it off the table. What do you all do when you want to set the tool down?
That is one of the nice things about the Sparmax AC100, it comes with a 10 ft. soft braided hose, not that nasty coiled thing. I would go to a parts store and order a new hose if I had the coiled one. I love the one mine came with, you can see it in this picture. I checked out your card, very cute, did you airbrush with the super brush tip in the nozzle instead of the chisel tip? It looks all speckled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was in the same certification class as Faith. And although I've been using cans since I've been playing with the idea of getting a compressor. Thanks for all the tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #106  

Quote:

That is one of the nice things about the Sparmax AC100, it comes with a 10 ft. soft braided hose, not that nasty coiled thing. I would go to a parts store and order a new hose if I had the coiled one. I love the one mine came with, you can see it in this picture. I checked out your card, very cute, did you airbrush with the super brush tip in the nozzle instead of the chisel tip? It looks all speckled.
Great idea about the hose! I think I'll give my DH that task to get a new hose for me :mrgreen:. And I used both chisel and super brush tips on that card. I was trying out both ways. I'm pretty sure I did the darkest color with the brush tip.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #107  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have seen the braided hose at Michaels and Hobby Lobby with their airbrushing supplies. It's fairly common so anywhere that sells airbrushing supplies would carry it. Just make sure it has a 1/8" connector.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #108  
Glitter Queen

Great info from this thread. I too live in Canada and there was one post as to where one could get a compressor like the HF one up here. So far, no one has answered the questions. If there are any Canadian's reading this and have compressors, would love your input. I'm on the hunt now so if I find out anything, I will post it here.
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #109  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

I completely agree about the braided hose that comes with the Sparmax AC100. It is so easy to work with! I'm sure it would be very easy to remove the coiled one and exchange to a braided hose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #110  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a question about airbrushing....can I use plastic stencils with the airbrush system and if so, will it stain them? Oh and what about the Glimmer Screens?

Thanks!

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #111  
Compulsive Stamper

My name is Kathy and I am a copic addict....;) For the Canadians asking about a compressor, if you live close enough to the US border, I would recommend buying one online and getting it shipped to a mail service. I live in Vancouver and both dh and I tried for months to see if we could find a compressor that would fit my needs at a reasonable price. Zip, zilch, nada! I finally ordered the Sparmax compressor with ABS system from Otakufuel. I think I paid about $150 US. Totally worth it!

I had mine shipped to a mailbox in Point Roberts for free, but I think that Otakufuel said that shipping to Vancouver would have been about $75US. When I finally had the sparmax in my eager little hands, I couldn't believe the wonderfulness of my new toy (yes, I am aware I have a problem...my dh reminds me on a regular basis!) The sparmax is very quiet, more like a gentle hum. Oh and did I mention how cute it is? I wasn't expecting to describe a compressor as "cute" but it totally is! Mine is a neat blue colour and really compact. I love airbrushing....sigh...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #112  
Insane Embellisher

This has been a great thread...I've been considering the air brush for some time now. I never thought about going to Harb Freight...I have one less than a mile from my house. Money has been tight but I received an injection of funds for my belly button day...and now I know what to spend it on. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #113  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got back from Seattle yesterday and i got my honey to stop at the harbour freight that was near his old house..i got the last one on the shelf...now i just have to wait for my abs-3 and im good to go!!! yippy
Thanks to all the ladies, who posted on here!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #114  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapladyView Post
I have a question about airbrushing....can I use plastic stencils with the airbrush system and if so, will it stain them? Oh and what about the Glimmer Screens?

Thanks!

Joanne
Sure, you can use them! Yes, you will get some marker on them, but they usually clean up beautifully with a little hand sanitizer. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #115  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much about the tip on the braided hose! That's what I ended up doing and it worked perfectly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #116  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Jennifer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #117  

Another question about the stencils. What does everyone do to keep things from blowing all over the place? Or to get the spray to not go under the template??
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #118  
Rubber Obsessor

Good question....I would like to know that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #119  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Faith! I'm not certified but I do have the airbrush. I use it with the single can...but I am looking to buy the compressor in the near future. I love it! I mostly use it for backgrounds and for coloring punched flowers and leaves...but would like to expand a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #120  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Another question about the stencils. What does everyone do to keep things from blowing all over the place? Or to get the spray to not go under the template??
I use BLUE masking tape to hold the templates in place.
Reply With Quote Likes