Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why use heat and stick powder

Hi, what is heat and stick powder and do U really need it as opposed to just glue? Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I use it for fine glitter. Don't really know why; just do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I've seen a demo at LSS where they used the heat & stick like an embossing powder (you shake it on after you stamp) and then heat a little, and then they brushed Pearl Ex on it. It was gorgeous. I don't know why it would be different than a glue pad, but they swore by it. Maybe you have more control over it because it isn't sticky until you heat it? Or maybe it sticks better? Maybe easier to clean, since you aren't putting glue right on your stamps? I've been tempted to get some since I saw that demo, but haven't used either product myself so I'm not much help, sorry!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

OK, I did a search and found this:
"Heat and Stick is the best thing to keep glitter in place and not rubbing off on everything that it touches, including you." at http://noelmignontandt.blogspot.com/...ck-powder.html
also, you can use ANY COLOR INK (that you could emboss with) so that's another advantage...
check out that link for tips, and this one for using PearlEx:
http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...pearlex_w

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

You use it instead of glue when you'd like to apply glitter to a stamped image. Really cool, especially on a solid or bold stamp design (like red glitter on a cherry or apple stamp, etc). I love it! I really like the Martha Stewart glitters, they come in awesome colors.

I've never had much luck with the glue pads either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I would reccomend using a glue stamp pad instead. I have heat and stick and hate it. It clumps together and if you over heat it, it won't stick. I bought an Essential Glue pad made by the same company that makes Stazon and I love it.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I would reccomend using a glue stamp pad instead. I have heat and stick and hate it. It clumps together and if you over heat it, it won't stick. I bought an Essential Glue pad made by the same company that makes Stazon and I love it.
I've got one of those, but I'm afraid to use it, that it will ruin my stamps. It says to clean it with Stazon cleaner, and I've bought that, but do I need to use a different cleaning scrubby than the one I use for my dye ink? Thanks for your help.

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

you pour it on your wet stamped image like embossing powder. heat it, pour glitter on, tap off, heat again to set.
i wouldn't use glue because you'd have to "colour" over your images and it's less precise than using heat and stick. i love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I had problems with Heat N Stick clumping on me, too. The grind is not fine enough.

I have the Stewart Superior Glue Pad, but, have *never* been able to get it to work.

My Tsukineko Glue Pad works well, but, I hear others have had dismal results--dunno if it's the glue formula batch they ended up with or what . . . :confused:

Anyhoo, I did want to tell you that I've tried about 5-6 different (!) brands of sticky EP over the years and in all honesty, the very best one I've ever worked with is A Muse's Simple Stick. It has the finest grind, and I don't have troubles with it clumping; I've had this jar for over a year no problems.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by lou413View Post
I've got one of those, but I'm afraid to use it, that it will ruin my stamps. It says to clean it with Stazon cleaner, and I've bought that, but do I need to use a different cleaning scrubby than the one I use for my dye ink? Thanks for your help.

L
A glue pad might ruin your stamps if you left the glue on for an extended period of time and didn't clean it off.

I clean it off my stamps with Ultra Clean--also the best stamp cleaner I've ever found and used over the years, with the only exception being JudiKins Solvent and Fabric Ink Cleaner--but you should use that one in a well ventilated area . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

...I just love Julie's smilies!!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

OK I was at LSS tonight and they reminded me that the other cool thing about Heat & Stick is that it pops up like embossing powder, as opposed to just a flat image like the glue pad would. Yes, you have to make sure you don't overheat it though. She told me to watch it and stop when it JUST turns.
Sounds like the Simple Stick from AMuse would be similar? Does it pop up too?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
OK I was at LSS tonight and they reminded me that the other cool thing about Heat & Stick is that it pops up like embossing powder, as opposed to just a flat image like the glue pad would. Yes, you have to make sure you don't overheat it though. She told me to watch it and stop when it JUST turns.
Sounds like the Simple Stick from AMuse would be similar? Does it pop up too?
It's low loft, but, yes, it raises slightly, and looks "wet". Once you see it turn wet/shiny, back off with the heat tool; if you overheat it, it will lose its tack (like all other sticky EPs do, as well, of course).

I've learned to keep my heat tool a little bit further away and move in a little at a time, until I see it turn wet, and then back off quickly, and move back in to areas that may still appear grainy/like I didn't quite heat them enough

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

So, is Heat and Stick actually an embossing powder that stays in the melted mode longer so as to be able to apply other things like glitter or Pearl Ex? Can you use it alone as an EP? Sorry, I'm still very confused. It must be clear only.. and requires something to stick to like pigment ink until you can melt it? Can ya'll tell I don't have an SU! demo? ;)
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I use my heat 'n stick with my versa mark pad. A pigment ink or embossing pad would also work. I have used a craft pad when I've wanted more color saturation.

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
So, is Heat and Stick actually an embossing powder that stays in the melted mode longer so as to be able to apply other things like glitter or Pearl Ex? Can you use it alone as an EP? Sorry, I'm still very confused. It must be clear only.. and requires something to stick to like pigment ink until you can melt it? Can ya'll tell I don't have an SU! demo? ;)
May God bless, Sandi
Well, not exactly, because it is a GLUE, not just an EP...but you use it like an EP (sprinkle on pigment ink and heat it). I don't know if you used it alone if it would set up like an ep and/or be shiny like a clear ep would be...it's STICKY ep. Hope that makes sense?

By "clumping" do you mean there are big chunks instead of a nice detailed image? It didn't clump when I saw them demo it at the LSS, but she did tell me it works better with a solid image rather than an outline...I'm sure if I used it I would have clumping issues LOL I am challenged when it comes to all ep!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

heat and stick . . . you versamark or use a craft pad. . .put on heat and stick powder . . .heat it. . .then put on the glitter or whatever and heat again. . .by heating it again you make the glitter and what not stay on so it doesn't brush off. . .

hope that helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Red face Brace ye'self; this is long. My apologies in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
May God bless, Sandi
Generally speaking, regular embossing powder (EP) is applied over an images that has been stamped with pigment ink, which has glycerin in it; because of the glycerine, it stays wet long enough to hold the powder to the paper surface. Dye inks almost never can be embossed as they are water-based, and don't have glycerine; they dry almost instantly on the paper surface and usually don't stay wet long enough to hold EP to the paper surface.

When EP is heated, it turns from granular to melted, and produces a glossy/shiny raised and hard surface.

"Sticky EP" is a clear EP (Heat n Stick is the brand name by SU!, but there are other brands on the market, as well--I use the Simple Stick brand) and can be applied over any pigment ink, embossing ink or watermark ink, such as Versamark, which contain glycerin. When gently heated, sticky EP does not turn "hard"; it turns from granular to wet looking, and is tacky/sticky. This enables you to apply glitter, foil, or flocking over the image and afix it permanently.

If sticky EP is "overheated", it will harden prematurely, and lose all tack.

It is common to apply glitter or flock over a sticky embossed image and also rub it into the image with fingertips to "work it in". After tapping off the excess, I often gently re-heat the image because the 2nd heating tends to cause the EP to "cure" or harden, and will "set" the glitter/flock into it with an even better hold.

When I say "gently", I mean: don't overheat or get so close that you actually burn the EP. All EPs can be burned right off the paper if the heat is too high, too close, or applied too long.

Most brands of sticky EP I've tried are a thicker grind and have a tendency clump in the jar, due to a combination of thickness of grind and moisture. You can try storing it with a desiccant packet (silica, like those that come with brand new shoes) to absorb any moisture.

I often had to stir the jar up and declump it before trying to use it, and even then, unless the pigment ink is very wet/thick, the grind was to coarse to adhere well to the image.

I have found that the finer the grind you can find in a sticky EP, the better the results--at least, that has been my case. Simple Stick is the finest ground sticky EP I have used to date.

HTH, and again, my apologies for being so long-winded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Well, not exactly, because it is a GLUE, not just an EP...but you use it like an EP (sprinkle on pigment ink and heat it). I don't know if you used it alone if it would set up like an ep and/or be shiny like a clear ep would be...it's STICKY ep. Hope that makes sense?

By "clumping" do you mean there are big chunks
instead of a nice detailed image? It didn't clump when I saw them demo it at the LSS, but she did tell me it works better with a solid image rather than an outline...I'm sure if I used it I would have clumping issues LOL I am challenged when it comes to all ep!
Sorry--when I said clumping, I meant it forms clumps in the jar/storage, and if you don't "de-clump" it so it is granular/powdery once again, BEFORE you pour it onto your stamped image, you get little "chunks" or "clumps" of this powder that roll around and don't stick to anything because they're too big. ;)

See above post for more details! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

wow, Julie, You Rock! Great explanation--I wish you lived in Ohio so I could take some classes from you!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Julie,
You make it all sound so easy. Your knowledge is impressive, but you're willingness to teach is a blessing.
TFS Flo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

:grin: I'm glad the info helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I'm glad I read this thread all the way through for the explanation of the heat & stick powder. Thanks for the great description!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks everyone! Wow, I LOVE glitter so I'm gonna try the *Simple Stick* brand. Thank you , Julie, you're not only a warm, sweet person, you're the bestest enabler I know of! ;) I've bought many tools, etc. that you've tested/explained for us. Big Kick was my latest. May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much Julie - your wealth of info on the ep astounds me I was wondering about the heat and stick powder myself and as I dont have a demonstrator to show me first hand (only those over the net) I too am only reliant on purchasing and trying the stuff out myself - if someone does all the hard work and expense for me, well that is a bonus!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes