Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purple Cow's Trimmer

I am looking to get a nice trimmer, and I did have it narrowed down to a Dahle 507 Rotary Cutter. Then I saw Purple Cow's 1040 two-in-one. I'm not overly fond of guillotine cutters, but if Purple Cow makes good stuff, who can pass up on two trimmers for the price of one?

They are both in the same price range so that isn't helping me choose. On another trimmer thread they were discussing the Dahle blades ability to retain sharpness for a long time... no one knew of anyone who had to replace a blade. How do Purple Cow's blades compare to that? Pro/ cons of their stuff?

Thanks for any input!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have the 2 in one Purple Cows trimmer. I use the guillotine all the time and love it. Cuts really thick cardstock beautifully and accurately. I NEVER use the rotary trimmer that came with it. I don't like it at all. It's hard to use IMO, because you have to lock down the guide every time you want to make a cut. Then you have to unlock and lock again to make another cut. It's very annoying and it won't cut properly if it's not locked down. If you can get just the guillotine cutter, you'd be better off with that. It is kind of large, though, and if you're looking for something lightweight and easy to stash away under your table, then this isn't what you would want. I use the guillotine cutter for thicker cardstock and larger pieces of paper, or if I need a really accurate set of cuts. For 70% of my other papers I just use a Tonic blade trimmer that I can keep right next to me.
HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the 2-in-1 Purple Cow trimmer for over two years and LOVE it.
I like the fact that the measuring markings are on both the bottom and the top so I can align my papers from either top or bottom for correct sizing and quick cutting. Also, the markings are down to 1/16". I love the guillotine cutter--it's all I use for my card cutting. The cuts are soooo smooth and clean. When I teach classes, I have to cut TONS of papers--I do a lot of layering--and it's wonderful. I have used the other side/cutter to cut mat board a few times and it did well. The guillotine blade remains sharp. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the black measurement markings along one spot along the bottom are wearing off and it's harder to see to cut now--so I have to use the measurement marks on the top now instead. (But, as I said, I've used it a lot.) Oh, another thing is that with the guillotine cutter, it's really hard to cut a paper 1" and less--unless you have a long paper and cut and messure left to right. But when you get down to that last cut, it's hard. So I end up going to my Fiskars little cutter (which I really don't care for at all) to do the smaller cuts. Oh, and I love the pressure bar that helps keep the paper in place when cutting. I looked at the Tonic cutter that has everyone raving, but it doesn't seem to have the breakdown in measurement markings that I like so much on the Purple Cow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfmorganView Post
I looked at the Tonic cutter that has everyone raving, but it doesn't seem to have the breakdown in measurement markings that I like so much on the Purple Cow.
The Tonic 12" base model not only goes down to 1/6th of an inch, both on the top and bottom rulers, it has measurements in the middle as well. And for those who use metric, it has a metric ruler too.

It also suffers from the same 1" dilemma due to the safety clamp portion.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got a Tonic 12" and it is NOT making clean cuts...I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I have it packed up ready to return...now the look for a new trimmer is back on...Oh how I wished that the Tonic would cut nice :(

I am looking at the purple cow...just not sure right.
Reply With Quote Likes