Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #1  
ckv
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tool or software is recommended for digital drawing

I am hoping someone can help me with this one. I have not been working and wanted to bring in extra income. I love to draw and color...so my questions is: what is the best tool and software that I can use to create digital drawing to sell? I have seen many people creating digital drawing and was wondering what software they used? I have the Wacom Intuos but it is fraustrating that I have to look at the computer monitor to see where I am drawing. Most of the time, my lines do not come out straight and I am unable to rotate the tablet around to create swirls like I can with a pencil and paper. How are the artists able to create straight lines and unjaggered lines out there? Please any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've illustrated for stamp companies as well as selling my own images in digital format.

This may not be the answer you're hoping for but I draw by hand, scan it in, and do any minute detail touch-up with my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

I use either Copic multiliner pens or Micron and have used a variety of brands of super-smooth cardstock.

For me, the Wacom works well for touching up and sometimes a little more editing . . . and another beneficial investment is a good light pad if you are going to draw by hand. The Artograph LED light pad is wonderful:

Artograph LED LightPads - BLICK art materials

I can't imagine drawing everything on a tablet or with software - it's just not the way I work. Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 295 Likes on 115 Posts

All of my digital stamps were created the old-fashioned, draw-it-by-hand way. I know that Kim Hughes over at Paper Smooches also draws all of hers by hand. The Papertrey Ink designers use Adobe Illustrator (or at least they did back when I kept track). I had a Wacom Bamboo and I CANNOT do something with my hand that shows up somewhere else (like a computer screen), so I had to sell it and go back to the low-tech method...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #4  
ckv
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much Nancy and Sue. I tried the Wacom but I also had the hard time lining up the pen and the computer screen. I also tried hand drawing and uploading into the computer but when it gets uploaded it has a beige background. I was unable to remove the beige background. How do you scan it in to get a white background? I used white paper to draw on but it just doesn't scan white...what am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know that I've had that happen in the past - I'd go to do digital cleanup and the cleaned areas would be whiter than the scan background. I haven't had that happen all of the time though so I'm not sure what caused it - could've been that the paper wasn't white enough or maybe settings on the scan? Be sure to scan black and white vs. grayscale.

You also could download Paint.net (free) - it's very easy to use the "magic wand," select areas (background in this case), and replace the color or hit "delete" and make the background transparent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

If you already have a tablet then you are already off to a good start. Unfortunately the disconnect between drawing on the tablet and looking at the computer screen is hard but it gets to feel more natural as time goes on and you use it more. You didn't say which model and size you have.
Wacom sells the more expensive Cintiqs. They are basicly computer screens that can be drawn on. I know on quite a few artists who have gone down the more conventional route and use their tablet computers (ipad, surface pro, etc.) for drawing via apps. If you have a tablet with good specs you could try that.
A good free software that is easily downloadable and legal is Gimp. It runs on your pc (or whatever) and is very similar to photoshop. It has most of the same functions and it is very easy to later make the leap over to photoshop. As with photoshop there is a learning curve but the basics like the brush and eraser are straightforward, and you can apply photoshop youtube tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #7  
ckv
Kookie Creator

Thank you for the info. I have the Wacom intuos. I guess I need to practice more. I will definitely try the black and white scan first. Hope it works! I am
Leafy tried the gimp....I am not good at it. The disconnect between the screen and tablet is really throwing me off. Wished I can get the cintiq but they are expensive. I am so glad that I asked here. I had felt that I was missing out on something but with your recommendations, so glad that I was not. I just have to keep trucking on. You ladies are so wonderful! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes