Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What style of copic markers?

I want to start buying copic marker but they are so expensive I want to make sure to get the right ones... There is Copic Ciao Markers, Copic Sketch Markers, and Copic Atyou Spica glitter pens ( I love my glitter gel pens, are these better?) What do you use? Had good ( or bad)experiences with any of these? Thanks all Anita
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The class I took last month recommended the Copics originals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I like the originals. I like the brush tip. I think it's a personal thing tho.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have some of each and prefer the Sketch. It's a personal thing for sure. You can't go wrong, they all 3 color the same quality.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #5  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I prefer the sketch - like the brush tip/chisel tip combination, sketch holds more ink, I think, than the other two, and you can use it with an airbrush system.

Depends how you're going to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default All are great

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitawill1View Post
I want to start buying copic marker but they are so expensive I want to make sure to get the right ones... There is Copic Ciao Markers, Copic Sketch Markers, and Copic Atyou Spica glitter pens ( I love my glitter gel pens, are these better?) What do you use? Had good ( or bad)experiences with any of these? Thanks all Anita
While all are great, I do have 40 of the Ciao and like them but I have over 100 of the Sketch and I like them better only because the top & bottom caps have the number on them.

I also have about 45 originals and I love the fact that you can make small dots with them.

The sketch markers hold a bit more ink than the Ciao ones but other than that, they color about the same.

Sketch seem to be more popular and have the most colors, over 336 or so. That would be many shades of the same colors of course.

Ciao only have 144 colors and a blender pen.

To sum up - they are all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #7  

Johanna, good point about the available colors. It's funny, but when I started accumulating these markers I thought, "There are more colors than I could EVER use." but hahahaha.....amazing how you find out that you 'need' more colors :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

As a consumer (first) before doing certifications...I started by collecting the ciaos (less expensive so that I could buy a good base of colors), I have slowly filled in with some sketch markers for colors I cannot buy with the ciaos....the nibs that come standard on both of these models are EXACTLY the same. The originals, however, come with a small bullet tip and a large chisel tip. It really depends on your preference in coloring.

If I had to do it all over again...I would have done it the same way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC SherrieView Post
As a consumer (first) before doing certifications...I started by collecting the ciaos (less expensive so that I could buy a good base of colors), I have slowly filled in with some sketch markers for colors I cannot buy with the ciaos....the nibs that come standard on both of these models are EXACTLY the same. The originals, however, come with a small bullet tip and a large chisel tip. It really depends on your preference in coloring.

I did exactly the same thing Sherrie. Started with Ciaos and filled in with Sketches. I also have a few Originals. I've found that I can get into pretty teeny areas with a light touch and the brush nib.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. Joanns is now carring the copic markers. I'm hoping I can use my 40% off coupon if not, Ebay here I come. Thanks again, Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

The Copic website has a downloadable brochure on Copics for stamping: http://copicmarker.com/library/

The Spica glitter pens supply a very subtle glittery embellishment, but you wouldn't use them in place of the markers.

It's my understanding that the sketch markers have about 80% of the amount of ink that is in the originals, and the ciao have about 60% of the amount. When the ink runs out, you don't throw the marker away but buy a refill re-inker for around $6 which will re-fill your marker multiple times. Although you pay less up front for the ciao, you may regret it when the markers need refilling sooner. For me, the color I use most for sky needed re-filling after several months.

The blunt point of an original is handy for work in tiny areas, such as small or very detailed stamps. A Muse stamps recommends the originals for use with its stamps. The flexible brush tip of the sketch and ciao is handier when filling in color in large areas.

Sketch and original can be used in the airbrush system, but ciao can too with a little adapting of the airbrush grip.

Sketch and originals have the color number on the tips. Ciao does not. If you never own more than three dozen markers, the lack of the tip number won't bother you. If you have more and use a color chart to select markers, like I do, the tip number is important. Some people do add little labels to their ciao tips.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Correction:
I meant to say firm tip for the original, not blunt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I did the same and Sherrie and Jeanne S, got all the Ciao's and then filled in with the Sketches. Both work the same, the Sketches are easier for airbrushing, no manipulation, but I love them all!! If you have little ones, the caps for the Ciao's are supposed to be more "child safe", however for me that's not an issue. I guess when my grandchild gets old enough to be around them, I'll give him something else to play with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks for all the info. Joanns is now carring the copic markers. I'm hoping I can use my 40% off coupon if not, Ebay here I come. Thanks again, Anita
I'm in trouble then LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelgirl014View Post
I'm in trouble then LOL
I second that!!! LOL

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I to did it this way. My very first order was just Ciaos with 1 Original. I wanted to see how it was since the one tip is different. Glad I did since I like the other two better. I have since purchased more Ciaos and some sketch to fill in with the colors that do not come in the ciaos. I did read that you can airbrush with the ciaos with alittle modification. HTH

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Get outta here! Joanns is selling Copic?!!
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

DITTO!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Joanns is now carring the copic markers
OH NO!!!! That is very very bad. Well... if they carry only a few of the colors like HL, then ok, but if they have the whole assortment. ON HO!!!!!

Like the others, I started with the Ciao's but quickly progressed to the Sketch. I like the feel better (of the barrel) and I have an airbrush. The real selling point for me though was the numbers on the end of the caps. I have since printed out numbers for all my others on clear laser labels, and punched with a hole punch and placed on my ciaos.

As for the Spicas. They are the best glitter pen I have ever seen. However, if you just want one, I can say I could not do without the clear. I have a couple of those. The beauty of it, is that there is NO COLOR. So, whatever I have colored with my copics, I can go over it with the clear spica for sparkle, and the shading I achieved is still all there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #20  

I just got back from a Copics class at a LSS today and found out that you can use the CIAO markers with the airbrush system - you just need to use some tacky putty (the kind that you use to hold paper to walls where it won't harm the walls, YKWIM?).....just wanted to share that in case it helps someone. We got to airbrush and it was awesome - just beautiful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I love the fine tip of the Copic Original for tiny places, but i prefer the way the sketch fits in my hand, I have bought several Copic Originals in the colors i needed for the fine tip. I have become dependent on the Numbering on the cap....... The numbering system just makes a lot of sense to me, and I am do better job blending and shading when I use it.
Reply With Quote Likes