Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What, if anything, would you swap out from the SU starter kit?

Looking for opinions on what, if anything, would you swap out for other colors and/or stamp sets from the Stampin' Up! Starter Kit? If you didn't have any SU products, is there anything that would be more beneficial than what comes in the regular kit? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

When I got my demo kit....both times, I swapped out my colors (black you cannot swap out) for something more versatile like chocolate chip and colors that you can widely use instead of the bright colors...same with the cardstock, (I got earth elements). Whatever you swap in inks, swap the cardstocks to match your inks...same with the cartridge for your handle...make it all match. If you want to go all neutrals (like earth elements), you could even swap the whisper white for very vanilla.
As far as stamps, that is a difficult call for someone to make. There are a lot of sets to choose from, just make sure you get something versatile and easy to demo. The fast and fun notes have a lot of stamps so you would not be demoing the same thing at every workshop so that is something to think about. If you swap out all of your stamp sets, get one that has a wheel to match and get that wheel. Make sure you pick out stamps of the same value as what they are offering because you will lose that amount of value if you pick a cheaper set and you do not want to lose any value to your demo kit.

The bottom line is...what are you going to do with it? Are you going to be a workshop demo or be a hobby demo? Will you demo cards or scrapbook pages or both? What you do with it will make a difference in what kind of stamp sets you pick out. And don't forget if you sign up during sale-a-bration, you get to choose any stamp set out of the catalog for free so you will get an extra stamp set with your demo kit!

Good luck with your choices!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will be demoing a lot so I do need stamp sets with lots of options. I guess that I am just unsure which color family to go with- which is more popular and sells the best?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always feel that if you do swap out sets, try to swap for the same type. For example, you'll notice they have a floral set with a matching wheel. Try to match for another set with matching wheel. There's a 2-step stamping set; same thing...swap for another 2-step set. The reason being, SU has chosen sets that offer all different "types" of stamping...sets to color in, sets for fast and easy cardmaking (2-step), an all-purpose greeting set, etc.

As far as colors go, I agree that picking colors that you naturally are drawn to is great. Keep in mind that the sets you pick might influence the colors you choose, or vice versa.

However you go, stick with what YOU like, and you won't go too far wrong, lol. You WILL be making more purchases, no doubt about it. You'll be able to add things you decide later you need. Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not a demo - "just" a stamper. I agree that you should go with inks/paper that you like. My terrific demo offered some great advice when I was trying to decide on a color family for spots. She said that unless I stamped/scrapped a lot for kids, that I probably wouldn't use the bold brights too often. I figured she knew what she was talking about as she has a zillion customers and is one of the top demos in the company. Based on that opinion, I opted for soft subtles at the time. I did eventually add the bold brights (spots) just to have "all" the colors, but I really haven't used them much. Good luck in your new venture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

If you don't already have any SU items, then I would highly recommend going with the standard kit. SU has spent quite a bit of time and research in putting together a starter kit to help a new demonstrator get off on the right track with all of the best tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Same advice as others here. Go with which color family you are drawn to the most, then get the inks and such to match. Think about the stamps you are getting and what colors you would use the most for those. Since you are signing up with the spring coming up, you may want to consider Pastels as you will use those a fair amount this time of year.
Don't worry about which color family sells the best. Everyone has their personal favorite. Your customers will buy what they like the best. As you look through the catalog at the samples, make a mental note of which colors you are drawn to the most. when picking your wheel color definitely think of what the wheel image is that you are getting.
the advice you got above is great for choosing stamp sets. SU! picks those sets for a reason and it is not to steer you wrong. If you already have or don't like one of the stamp sets then change it. If you are not sure, look through the gallery here for that set and see if you can see yourself using it a lot. Think about the top 5 techniques you feel comfortable demonstrating and pick sets that would work well for those techniques.
You will own all the colors before you know it and more stamps than you know what to do with. The best thing about this business is you can do whatever you want.
GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to the SU! Family.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I swapped the ink pads for In Colors because I knew I wanted to buy the boxed set of color families. I like keeping them in their family box! I don't miss having a carousel at all! I also chose stamp sets I liked best, not the ones in the kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the In Colors are retiring in June, I swapped out for those colors. I like them, and I'll always be able to get the regular SU colors.

(If you're a Demo who intends to sell & hold workshops, I wouldn't do that, though. Since the colors are retiring soon, you might not want to start using them in your workshops at this point. Your customers won't be able to get those colors for long and they might not want to invest in them. I'm a Hobby Demo, so I don't need to consider what my customers can or can't get in the near future.)

I swapped the pink wheel ink for black.

I swapped out the inkpads for the In Colors (because I swapped for those colors in cardstock).

I swapped the wheel for the one that coordinates with a stamp set I swapped out.

I wish I could have swapped out the catalogs & order forms for more product. Hobby Demos don't really need all that stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #10  
kraf*T*y mama

I am not a demo - thought about it ALOT though!

I say get what you LOVE! Because then you will love demoing it and the customers will be able to tell!

Make sure your ink and CS match - so if you swap one swap the other.

I would say try to get 2 step stamping set
line art (to color in)
solid image

so that you can show all those techniques - but GET WHAT YOU love!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone for your help! I finally decided and went online and DID IT! Whew! :mrgreen: So happy and excited! I ended up getting a pack of the Earth Elements (and inks to match) and the Soft Subtles instead of the 2 Bold Brights- just not my thing and they wouldn't inspire me as much. I also got the Always in Bloom wheel and the matching set instead of the Big Bold Birthday. Hopefully I made good decisions for my business, but at least I love them all so that is good. Thanks again to you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Great info. Thanks for sharing!!!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes