Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Want the Best Paper Cutter Ever? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/want-best-paper-cutter-ever-175816/)

sassyat30 08-24-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
hmmm I think it will be on my next SU order for sure!! I just don't like supporting Fiskars if I can help it!! (They moved their craft division overseas so not happy with them, as their craft division was only 40 minutes from me)

Well, if it can save me almost $20, I'll order directly from the company that makes it. Twenty dollars is a stamp set!!

sassyat30 08-24-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendazeddun
Thanks for the link Sara - I've been considering one of these for a long time! What a big help!

You are very welcome...I figured I would post the link to help someone else out! :D

kphorse 08-24-2006 06:02 AM

Thanks for posting that link Sara!

If it is cheaper than the SU, what a deal!

Hugs!

stampin-sunnychick 08-24-2006 06:24 AM

ooh good to know...I always put off my big cutting projects as long as I possibly can because it is such a chore. TFS

heartofjoy 08-24-2006 06:30 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 12" Tonic cutter from Amazon? It's $38.95. I"m thinking that if a person is also cutting 12 x 12 pieces of paper, the larger sized Tonic might be the way to go.

lesarapp 08-24-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Well, if it can save me almost $20, I'll order directly from the company that makes it. Twenty dollars is a stamp set!!

I just wanted to point out that Stampin'Up! backs up what they sell as well. It is kinda like if you buy a stamp set on ebay. If you have a problem, you can't get it fixed. I would rather pay a little more and then know that I have them backing their product! Just a thought, and I am not knocking your thoughts. I just wanted to put another thought out there. :D

willosmama 08-24-2006 07:24 AM

Glad you love your new cutter, they have been getting really good reviews.

MSBetsyZ 08-24-2006 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
You are very welcome...I figured I would post the link to help someone else out! :D

:D And isn't it nice to be the enabl-"er" for a change instead of the enabl-"ee"?? :rolleyes: :-D

Shasync 08-24-2006 08:06 AM

How big is the one from SU? Is it for 12 x 12 paper?

rixey 08-24-2006 08:37 AM

this cutter has an arm that swings out so that you can cut 12X12 paper. I have been in love with this cutter since it arrived. I have two young children and I am not worried about them, the blade isn't HARD to pull up, but you have to really mean it (does that even make sense? doubt it)

sassyat30 08-24-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
And isn't it nice to be the enabl-"er" for a change instead of the enabl-"ee"?? :rolleyes: :-D

ROFL...yup! Gotta share the good deals! :p And for those that say I'll have problems if something is wrong with it...really, SU is NOT the only company that backs up it's products. :rolleyes:

If I can buy the exact same thing (which it is) for almost $20 less, why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't anyone else?? That is just foolish to spend that extra amount of money, when I could spend that on a new stamp set from SU.

kristransue 08-24-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Wallace
I have 3 kids under 5 yrs. old & am not a bit worried. The arm does not move unless you willfully move it. Also, the handle does not have a safety latch as posted earlier, BUT the handle extension is removable, therefore could easily take away more of the concern (it snaps in just like the extension arm for measuring). I doubt a kid could raise it without the handle extension on it. JMO

Thanks, that is good to know. I would obviously be safe with it, but I have kids that get into everything.

kristransue 08-24-2006 10:17 AM

I was searching online for more reviews (not that I don't trust all of YOUR opinions . . . ) and found this site which discusses the safety and the quality of this trimmer . . .thought I would share . . .

http://www.scrapfriends.us/tonic_studios_trimmer.html

sherristampsalot 08-24-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Wallace
Yes, but replacing the blade gets old QUICK. So does the fraying of the WW & VV cardstock. The new cutter doesn't fray any paper that I've found. I absolutely love the new cutter, but I will keep my Fiskars for backup.:)

This may just sell me on the new cutter! My WW and VV is *awful* with my Fiskars!

sassyat30 08-24-2006 10:34 AM

Holy COW!! My cutter that I just ordered is here!! It just came today!! Wow, what fasst service! I only ordered it like 36 hours ago!!! :shock:

jillcbert 08-24-2006 01:05 PM

Anyone tried multiple pages at a time?? I am dying to know how many pages it will cut at a time!!

scrapbrat 08-24-2006 01:43 PM

I got mine and love it as well. I am keeping my fiskars for the scoring though. The only think I noticed is that when cutting three sheets of CS at once, you have to be carefull towards the end of the blade. If you are not quick and sharp with the cut, it will pull the paper a bit. I think though that this is just a learning curve for me as I have not used this kind before. I LOVE the fact that everything stays so tight in there as you cut though, no sliding around. I think that in itself is a selling point.

Anyways, my two cents!

Taylor
FSJ, BC

staramaze 08-24-2006 04:54 PM

I have played with the cutter... it cuts VERY straight... and it comes with a 5 year gaurantee on the blades which is AWESOME! It is very nice.

arinstamps 08-24-2006 07:15 PM

I have loved my carl but I keep hearing such good things about this one. What I dislike about carl is the inability to cut small peices of paper.
Thanks for the review!

Jeanne S 08-24-2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arinstamps
I have loved my carl but I keep hearing such good things about this one. What I dislike about carl is the inability to cut small peices of paper.
Thanks for the review!

I did all of VSN with the new cutter. I really like it alot. The only thing I'm using the Fiscars one for lately is scoring.

JulieHRR 08-24-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillcbert
Anyone tried multiple pages at a time?? I am dying to know how many pages it will cut at a time!!

Well, I'm not exactly dying to know http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...deadthread.gif , but I am curious, about this as well! ;)

So, who can dish us the dirt on that?

staramaze 08-24-2006 08:00 PM

My experience was that you could cut three pages of SU colored CS... 4 or 5 of the whisper white.

This is why I stick with my Industrial Grade Carl cutter. But If I didn't need to prep for workshops... just the occasional Chistmas card or Invitation in bulk... I say the New SU cutter might just ROCK.

You sure like those smileys huh julie?;)

JulieHRR 08-24-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
My experience was that you could cut three pages of SU colored CS... 4 or 5 of the whisper white.

Thanks, Sarah!

Quote:

This is why I stick with my Industrial Grade Carl cutter. But If I didn't need to prep for workshops... just the occasional Chistmas card or Invitation in bulk... I say the New SU cutter might just ROCK.
I do love my Carl DC 220 for cutting through 8-10 sheets at a time, depending on type of c/s. :mrgreen:

Quote:

You sure like those smileys huh julie?;)
I am a Millan smiley junkie . . . I CAN'T HELP IT, SARAAAAAAAH!!! (wailing voice)

They crack me!!!!

glenda s 08-24-2006 09:44 PM

Someone previously asked about cutting smaller pieces of cs -- how small can you accurately cut?
I sometimes will cut something so many inches + 5/16 or so many inches + 1/32. Does the Tonic have a guide that goes that small and that is easily readable?
I can only think of the school guillotine cutter that only measures in 1/4 inch increments.
Glenda

kikikaren 08-31-2006 10:18 AM

Thanks to you ladies, I just bought the big daddy Tonic Trimmer (12 inch with full base) from Joann's online. They don't actually list it as being Tonic brand, although it looks just like the Tonic ones and they sell Tonic, so I think it's just a listing error on their part. It retails for about $49, but with their current 40% off coupon (just check www.joann.com for the code), and since I'm in the free shipping code, it was under $32 with tax. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the recommendations!