Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Want the Best Paper Cutter Ever? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/want-best-paper-cutter-ever-175816/)

LoriJ 08-19-2006 02:02 AM

Want the Best Paper Cutter Ever?

I just received my SU! Tabletop Paper Cutter and absolutely love it! I cut materials for 50 cards last night in about 1/3 the time it would normally take. The best part is...no frayed edges, and perfectly straight cuts.

I have 5 other cutters including a Carl that will now be going to e-bay.

Momofoneson 08-19-2006 02:07 AM

This is the tonic trimmer, it is excellent. I usually recommend it when people are raving about the genesis trimmer which cost anywhere from 160.00 to 300.00 (yikes, for a trimmer!)

Stamp Maniac II 08-19-2006 04:43 AM

I bought the Carl and I hate it. I cant seem to get my measurements correct on it. I try to make sure my paper is straight...but it just wont come out right...any suggestions?

LoriJ 08-19-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
I bought the Carl and I hate it. I cant seem to get my measurements correct on it. I try to make sure my paper is straight...but it just wont come out right...any suggestions?

I'm with you, I never could get my Carl to work correctly. I was constantly replacing the blades and they still creased or frayed the edges. Very frustrating!

luv my dolly 08-19-2006 07:52 AM

Thanks, I have been looking at getting this one!!

anniesmom 08-19-2006 08:08 AM

Have a few questions about this trimmer:

Does the arm on this swing out to 12 x 12?

What do you do with a trimmer like this when the blades get dull? Is there a replacement arm?

Is it heavy?

frankie 08-19-2006 08:27 AM

I agree -- this is the BEST trimmer I've ever owned (and believe me when I tell ya, I've tried a ton of 'em)!! I'm LOVING using it!

The extension arm doesn't swing out, it clips into a slot on the side and is removable for portability. It works great for measuring 12 x 12. As for the blade, it's not supposed to need sharpening. It works on the same principal as the Genesis trimmers . . . it's steel on steel so it's supposed to keep itself sharp.

I'm so glad I bought this one -- now I'm saying good-bye to every other trimmer I own including my Carl that I've hated!

lauraos 08-19-2006 09:14 AM

I checked out the picture, is this a guillotine cutter? And I checked out the Tonic Trimmers online and it looks like there are 12" small bases and large bases. The one in the catalog looks to be a small base, is that correct?

Laura

kristransue 08-19-2006 10:33 AM

thanks for the review . .what do people do out there that have guillotine cutters and kids for safety?

Momofoneson 08-19-2006 10:57 AM

I have a 10 yr old so don't have the problem with little kids, but I do love my tonic.

LoriJ 08-20-2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraos
I checked out the picture, is this a guillotine cutter? And I checked out the Tonic Trimmers online and it looks like there are 12" small bases and large bases. The one in the catalog looks to be a small base, is that correct?

Laura

I checked out the tonic cutter (small base), and it does appear to be the same size as the SU! cutter. It is a guillotine cutter.

HTH,
Lori

Momofoneson 08-20-2006 04:29 AM

Yes the SU cutter is made by tonic.

frankie 08-20-2006 06:15 AM

The SU paper cutter is the small base Tonic. As for the guillotine and kids - not a factor at my house as my "baby" is 16! However, while there is no safety latch on this paper cutter, the arm doesn't just swing. You HAVE to lift it up and push it down -- it doesn't just fall down when it's in the "up" position. I even picked my cutter up and was swinging it to see if the arm would move and nope, it wouldn't. Even held upside down and shaking it, that arm stayed in place. I think if you have smaller children, it's a matter of common sense -- don't leave it out "available" to them . . . just like scissors and craft knives, etc.

Joyrae 08-20-2006 10:40 AM

I am debating getting this cutter and cant decide. I currenty have only the small fiskars 12 x 12 cutter and I can only do one sheet at a time. Whenever I have workshops or stamp a stacks, it takes DAYS to do all the cutting.

I know it would save me time (and time is $$) but I am still not 100% decided. Has anyone gotten the new cutter and NOT liked it??

nmslmomto3 08-20-2006 12:32 PM

how does this work for cutting off smaller pieces, like 1/4 or 1/8" for matting?

MLYates 08-20-2006 01:52 PM

I too just got my SU trimmer last week--I LOVE it! At first I didn't want it because of the safety issue with two little kids in the house, but the cutting part does not even feel sharp to the touch. I suppose a really determined kid could come up with a way to mutilate themselves anyway, but I leave mine out and feel safe doing so. It is self-sharpening and does an amazing job. It's the only one I use now.

birdbathlady 08-20-2006 02:51 PM

Amazon has Tonic cutters for $30 and larger ones for $40. Wonder what the difference is between those and the SU model.

kimberup 08-20-2006 06:31 PM

I've been considering this cutter - thanks for sharing the info

dmowens 08-22-2006 11:07 AM

I agree with everyone else here who loves the new SU! cutter. It is awesome. I haven't touched my old trimmer in three weeks (since I got this new one). It has worked perfectly for cutting cardstock for my workshops, and I have used it to trim even the tiniest bits of paper! It is definitely worth the money!

kathleenh 08-22-2006 11:26 AM

I love the new SU cutter too! It cuts great! As far as the safety issue, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm a bit of a klutz and have lowered the arm on my finger more than once. I didn't even get a cut! Like someone else said - a really determined toddler may find a way to injure themselves but I can't see someone lopping off a finger or anything. LOL!

Kathleen

Tah Dah! 08-22-2006 11:31 AM

I got mine last week and am LOVING it! Nice straight cuts, no fraying whatsoever. Cutting three pieces of cardstock at a time. Also did a bit of "shaving" when I matted something incorrectly and it looks fabulous! I think I'm going to be giving my old Fiskars to my niece.

trinityimpressions 08-22-2006 01:34 PM

I just looked at the review on amazon for the big and the small and they were both given kind of stinky reviews....you guys think it is great, right? I am considering adding it to my stamp order this weekend.....

Thanks!

kristen

MLYates 08-22-2006 03:16 PM

I noticed the "stinky" reviews on Amazon and I do not agree. I think this cutter does the best job of any I've tried--and I've tried them all (Fiskars, Carl, Cutterpede, and a few others).

Shelley Davis 08-22-2006 03:20 PM

I just love my Fiskars. When the blade needs replacing...I just run over to the scrapbook store or Michaels. It also has the scorer. I used a 40% off coupon to purchase it too.
Shelley :shock:

Maisey-Moo 08-22-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdbathlady
Amazon has Tonic cutters for $30 and larger ones for $40. Wonder what the difference is between those and the SU model.

Wondering the same here also.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_op...+paper+trimmer

Momofoneson 08-22-2006 04:24 PM

How can you judge when there is only 1 review???? I love the tonic trimmer, it is excellent. So the splitcoasters obviously rate it very high.

Momofoneson 08-22-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
How can you judge when there is only 1 review???? I love the tonic trimmer, it is excellent. So the splitcoasters obviously rate it very high.

Also, one has a 12" base and one has a 6" base, that's the difference. I have the one with the 6" base and the arm that connects. Also, the arm (opposit of what the reviewer stated) does not sag.

trinityimpressions 08-22-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson

I agree, I just wondered b/c the reviews on both the smaller and the bigger weren't great on amazon, but I personally would take the opinions here more since I think I would use it more like the other SCSers....

Thanks for sharing all the feedback/opinions :-)

M. Wallace 08-22-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley Davis
I just love my Fiskars. When the blade needs replacing...I just run over to the scrapbook store or Michaels. It also has the scorer. I used a 40% off coupon to purchase it too.
Shelley :shock:

Yes, but replacing the blade gets old QUICK. So does the fraying of the WW & VV cardstock. The new cutter doesn't fray any paper that I've found. I absolutely love the new cutter, but I will keep my Fiskars for backup.:)

M. Wallace 08-22-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristransue
thanks for the review . .what do people do out there that have guillotine cutters and kids for safety?

I have 3 kids under 5 yrs. old & am not a bit worried. The arm does not move unless you willfully move it. Also, the handle does not have a safety latch as posted earlier, BUT the handle extension is removable, therefore could easily take away more of the concern (it snaps in just like the extension arm for measuring). I doubt a kid could raise it without the handle extension on it. JMO

M. Wallace 08-22-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdbathlady

When I looked at those a few months ago, they were always out of stock. :( I'm so glad SU finally carries them! I don't know what I did so long without one!!:mrgreen:

sassyat30 08-22-2006 06:10 PM

I *just* ordered the Tonic paper cutter..the one with the arm...the 12' with the 6 inch base...I got it for $30, plus $5.99 shipping....it's the exact same one in the SU catty, it just doesn't have the SU logo on it. No tax, either, so it's almost $15 cheaper than the SU one!! :D

I thought it was a great deal, and I've been looking for a new cutter for awhile, so I hope this does the trick! :mrgreen:

sassyat30 08-22-2006 06:11 PM

Whoops, forgot the link...sorry.

http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/tonic.html

sassyat30 08-23-2006 09:24 AM

Bumpin, 'cause I don't want anyone to miss out on a great deal for a paper cutter!! :D

Shasync 08-23-2006 09:30 AM

Re:

How is measuring with this SU cutter? I'm looking for a cutter but I'm measuring challenged... If all the little lines are not there, I dont know what the heck I'm doing... I have no clue how to measure 2/3, etc. Does the one inch start where the blade is? or where you cut it???

Funny questions

Shannon

Sibylle 08-23-2006 01:27 PM

Alright ladies, on your all's recommendation I just went and ordered that cutter. I have become increasingly tired of my fiskers cutter. Even the new blades are dull lately. I look forward to finding out if you are all correct. I did order it from scrapbooking warehouse because the price is so much better.

Sibylle

jillcbert 08-23-2006 01:53 PM

So you love the cutter, but here's my question how many pieces of paper does it really cut at a time?? I love the idea of the cutter, but I want it to be really worth the money. So how many sheets have you cut at a time??

brendazeddun 08-23-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30

Thanks for the link Sara - I've been considering one of these for a long time! What a big help!

Kar 08-24-2006 02:47 AM

hmmm I think it will be on my next SU order for sure!! I just don't like supporting Fiskars if I can help it!! (They moved their craft division overseas so not happy with them, as their craft division was only 40 minutes from me)

Julzz 08-24-2006 03:12 AM

I'm very intersted in this style of cutter also.....It really does cut straight??? Hum I guess I will have to get one..