Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Trouble w/ ribbon fraying (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/trouble-w-ribbon-fraying-510523/)

DellsDani 10-29-2010 10:41 PM

Trouble w/ ribbon fraying

Every time I cut my ribbon it frays. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep it from fraying?

barb smith 10-29-2010 10:48 PM

Never tried fray check, but you could try that and see if it helps. Maybe you need sharper scissors.

suni19 10-30-2010 12:51 AM

The best way is to have really sharp scissors. Sometimes a better quality of scissors makes a lot of difference too. I found a sharpener at wally's for about $8.00 that I'm adding to my Christmas list!

We just had a crafting event at our church and were cutting ribbon. One of the ladies said...oh, use the red scissors...they are made for fabric/ribbon and that's all they are used for.

I've tried to have a separate pair but usually someone will "borrow" them and cut cardboard or something! Ugghh!!

monicas silcott 10-30-2010 02:36 AM

This will probably sound insane, I hold my ribbon in one hand with a pair of tweezers and I have a lighter (the long ones, like used to light candles) with a flame in the other. Then I put the ribbon next to the flame (not touching) and the heat from the flame melts the end of the ribbon (like the finished end when you open a new spool). It does take a little practice, but I find it works best for me.

Hope this helps.

cobby 10-30-2010 04:52 AM

SHARP scissors are a must! After that; something like Fray Check will work. You can also use just a small dab of Elmer's Glue. You might want to test a scrap of ribbon first to see if it leaves the end "darker" when it dries. If you are very careful and just dab it on right on the end; it shouldn't show though.

KalaKitty 10-30-2010 08:31 AM

I've found that cutting the ribbon on an angle helps too. I use a dot of Tombow glue on the ends of the ribbon sometimes.

DellsDani 10-30-2010 10:03 AM

Awesome!! Thank you ladies. I will definately get new scissors. I will also try the angle cut, frey check, glue, the lighter idea...well now that one I will have to think about. lol with my luck "poof" there goes my ribbon. lol....I will try all of your ideas...but for sure will get new scissors. Thank you again ladies.

Technique Tuesday 10-30-2010 05:40 PM

I'm with monicas silcott on this one. I keep a long lighter on my craft table and melt the cut end of my ribbon together. I don't bother with the tweezers though. In the 10 years I've been doing this, I haven't burned myself.

Diamondz 10-30-2010 05:58 PM

I do the lighter trick, I actually had to go out and buy one.

I love pink 10-30-2010 07:49 PM

I always use sharp scissors and burn the edges quickly with a lighter, never have fray problems :)

DellsDani 10-30-2010 09:16 PM

Ok burning the ends sounds like the way to go. I will give it a try and let ya'll know how it goes. Thank you

KalaKitty 10-30-2010 11:22 PM

Does burning ribbon have a bad odor?

monicas silcott 10-31-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKitty (Post 17514704)
Does burning ribbon have a bad odor?

I've never noticed an odor. I guess because you are not setting the ribbon on fire, you are just melting the end with the heat from the flame (rarely does the ribbon touch the flame). Plus, the whole process is quick (honestly, it takes me longer to get the lighter to work).

KatarinaM 10-31-2010 04:34 AM

Sometimes there may be a brief smell from certain types of ribbon, but it's gone in a second. I've been burning the ends of my ribbon with a lighter since I started cardmaking. I tried everything else, but glues/fray check take too long to dry and I always seemed to get a bit on the card after it was all done. With the lighter, you just run the flame briefly along the edges of the cut ribbon (and yes sharp scissors are a must!) and it's cool and fray proof in seconds! Keep in mind though, MOST ribbons will melt instead of catching fire, but there are a few kinds of ribbon that will go up in flames immediately! Grosgrain, cotton and poly twill, satin, and maybe a few others I can't think of right now work GREAT with the lighter. Others such as tafetta, organza, sheer ribbons do not. If I'm working with a new kind of ribbon, I always cut a small piece and apply the flame to it over a sink. HTH!

DellsDani 10-31-2010 09:40 AM

Ya'll were right. I used the lighter and it worked perfectly. Thank you!! And there was not any odor. Thank you again

KalaKitty 10-31-2010 09:55 AM

Would a heat gun work for this?

uncbballfan 10-31-2010 01:11 PM

I don't think a heat gun would work. I also use a lighter when needed; just barely touch the edge of the ribbon to the flame. But I also use really sharp scissors and cut the ribbon at an angle, so I hardly ever have to use the lighter.

nancystamps 10-31-2010 04:33 PM

Fray Check for me......I'm afraid I'd set my basement on fire. It works great, it's like very thin clear nail polish. I have "fabric only" scissors, I cut on an angle, but some ribbons, especially the sheer ones, fray anyway. It's so easy, you just need a little bit, and a little time for it to dry.

jandjccc 10-31-2010 05:00 PM

I put a small scrape piece of card stock behind the ribbon and use a good pair of sharp scissors .
Works great for me.

DellsDani 11-01-2010 12:35 PM

So all I need to do is hold a piece of cardstock behind the piece of ribbon than cut? hmm have to try that. thank you

MSBetsyZ 11-01-2010 12:51 PM

Another thing I do is tie bright ribbon to the handle of my fabric-only scissors. Everyone in my house knows to stay away from them, lol!

DellsDani 11-01-2010 12:57 PM

Oh my gosh, love that idea. I am going to do that. My DH will grab the first pair he sees. So far, I have managed to keep him away from my fabric scissors. But this might make him ask why the ribbon is on there before grabbing them. Thanks for the idea.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 17520229)
Another thing I do is tie bright ribbon to the handle of my fabric-only scissors. Everyone in my house knows to stay away from them, lol!

kspiv 11-02-2010 06:47 AM

Ribbon only scissors will make a big difference! A decent pair should last for a long time. I also use fray check on the ends. It does take a bit to dry and if you are making a card to send out immediately then you might not want to use it but I use a little on the ends, smoosh it between my fingers to get out excess and then let it dry for a bit and its good to go. Sometimes a lighter leaves a hard, burnt type edge on certain ribbons but not always.

Rubbernecker 11-02-2010 07:08 AM

I've been making lots of corker bows and other hair ribbons to sell at my kids' school. Since I'm lighter-challenged, I touch the end of the ribbon to my heated hot knife.

DellsDani 11-02-2010 07:21 AM

Heated hot knife? Can you explain what that is? I am picturing a knife being held over a flame.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbernecker (Post 17523218)
I've been making lots of corker bows and other hair ribbons to sell at my kids' school. Since I'm lighter-challenged, I touch the end of the ribbon to my heated hot knife.

Rubbernecker 11-02-2010 07:26 AM

Like this:

Amazon.com: Walnut Hollow Designed For Her Creative Hot-Knife: Toys & Games: Reviews, Prices & more

I bought a hot knife because I heard it was good for cutting out rubber if you're unmounting. I haven't tried that but it does come in handy for the ribbon. I found this one at Michaels.

Hope this helps.

DellsDani 11-02-2010 07:37 AM

Well color me blonde (I am already) I never heard of it. How cool. Thank you
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbernecker (Post 17523285)
Like this:

Amazon.com: Walnut Hollow Designed For Her Creative Hot-Knife: Toys & Games: Reviews, Prices & more

I bought a hot knife because I heard it was good for cutting out rubber if you're unmounting. I haven't tried that but it does come in handy for the ribbon. I found this one at Michaels.

Hope this helps.

shazsilverwolf 11-02-2010 10:29 AM

Clear nail polish will also work, but usually as long as I cut at an angle, or in an inverted 'V', I don't find it frays.

DellsDani 11-02-2010 02:50 PM

Shaz, I have tried that inverted V but it never comes out looking right. I have been cutting on an angle however depending on the ribbon that doesn't always work therefore out comes the candlelighter. Hehe I didn't set my stamping room on fire.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 17523929)
Clear nail polish will also work, but usually as long as I cut at an angle, or in an inverted 'V', I don't find it frays.

dhaus 11-03-2010 05:05 AM

I too have been "melting" the ribbon end with a lighter since I started and it works great and fast!

LetteringMama 11-03-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps (Post 17517148)
Fray Check for me......I'm afraid I'd set my basement on fire. It works great, it's like very thin clear nail polish. I have "fabric only" scissors, I cut on an angle, but some ribbons, especially the sheer ones, fray anyway. It's so easy, you just need a little bit, and a little time for it to dry.

Can you please tell me who makes Fray Check and where you buy it from? I've never heard of it. Thank you.

Rubbernecker 11-03-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMama (Post 17527460)
Can you please tell me who makes Fray Check and where you buy it from? I've never heard of it. Thank you.

There are a couple different brands, but here's one:

Amazon.com: Dritz Fray Check- 3/4 oz.: Kitchen & Dining

I found it at JoAnns

queensuzanne 11-03-2010 07:23 AM

If you want to add a little bling to your card and ribbon....I have used a thin line of Stickles on the end of my ribbons. Probably the same effect as glue/fray stuff, but much prettier!! ;)

shazsilverwolf 11-03-2010 07:33 AM

Hi again, regards the inverted 'V', my Mom used to do it for my hair ribbons when I was a child. She always folded her ribbon in half lengthways, then cut from the outside edge towards the middle, if that helps.

DellsDani 11-03-2010 08:33 AM

Ahhh now how easy is that? lol thank you so much. One would think I would have figured that out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 17527810)
Hi again, regards the inverted 'V', my Mom used to do it for my hair ribbons when I was a child. She always folded her ribbon in half lengthways, then cut from the outside edge towards the middle, if that helps.

Tap3x 11-03-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queensuzanne (Post 17527767)
If you want to add a little bling to your card and ribbon....I have used a thin line of Stickles on the end of my ribbons. Probably the same effect as glue/fray stuff, but much prettier!! ;)

Excellent idea ... and who wouldn't love more bling?

Joeknee 11-03-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monicas silcott (Post 17511602)
This will probably sound insane, I hold my ribbon in one hand with a pair of tweezers and I have a lighter (the long ones, like used to light candles) with a flame in the other.

How funny, I used to do that with the kids shoelaces when they were little. And on sweatshirt ties too!! I never thought of doing it to ribbon ;)

jeanne3579 11-03-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DellsDani (Post 17524920)
Shaz, I have tried that inverted V but it never comes out looking right. I have been cutting on an angle however depending on the ribbon that doesn't always work therefore out comes the candlelighter. Hehe I didn't set my stamping room on fire.

If you want to do the inverted V with an even look, fold the ribbon in half so the sides line up and cut from the fold (about a half inch or so up from the end) at an angle to the end. When opened, the two sides of the V are exactly alike.

jeanne3579 11-03-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMama (Post 17527460)

Joann's has it and you can use a coupon!

aspengirl 11-03-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579 (Post 17529192)
Joann's has it and you can use a coupon!

I bought my last bottle at Wal-mart. One bottle lasts forever, but I misplaced mine and needed some. It's not very expensive and works GREAT!