Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Money Saver Thrifty crafting glue suggestion

Being a crafter who's retired and on SS, I'm always looking for ways to save. While I was working on a project for a Christmas craft fair, I was having a problem with those little Tombow glue runners (https://smile.amazon.com/Tombow-Perm...qid=1578921247) not doing the trick for me. Almost all of the little lip balm holders that I'd made had to be redone, because the two layers of cardstock that I'd used the Tombow to stick down, kept lifting up. So I reached for the Tombow liquid glue, which I love, and realized that I couldn't get into the tight space with the Tombow applicator, so I quickly ordered some precision glue applicators from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While waiting for them to arrive, I went on crafting another project, and ended up using all the Tombow glue I had, by the time the applicators arrived! I couldn't afford to waste any more time, so I took some of the Aleens Tacky Glue that I buy at Dollar Tree, added a little water because it's so thick I didn't think it would go through the needle tip of the applicator, and I started re-gluing the lip balm holders. Perfection! The result is, I don't think I"ll be buying Tombow glue any more. Will I discover some drawbacks in the future? Maybe. But until then, I've been perfectly happy with the Aleens in the precision applicators. I haven't yet found myself thinking "Gee, I wish I had some Tombow glue." So I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone out there might be interested.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueramblerView Post
Being a crafter who's retired and on SS, I'm always looking for ways to save. While I was working on a project for a Christmas craft fair, I was having a problem with those little Tombow glue runners (https://smile.amazon.com/Tombow-Perm...qid=1578921247) not doing the trick for me. Almost all of the little lip balm holders that I'd made had to be redone, because the two layers of cardstock that I'd used the Tombow to stick down, kept lifting up. So I reached for the Tombow liquid glue, which I love, and realized that I couldn't get into the tight space with the Tombow applicator, so I quickly ordered some precision glue applicators from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While waiting for them to arrive, I went on crafting another project, and ended up using all the Tombow glue I had, by the time the applicators arrived! I couldn't afford to waste any more time, so I took some of the Aleens Tacky Glue that I buy at Dollar Tree, added a little water because it's so thick I didn't think it would go through the needle tip of the applicator, and I started re-gluing the lip balm holders. Perfection! The result is, I don't think I"ll be buying Tombow glue any more. Will I discover some drawbacks in the future? Maybe. But until then, I've been perfectly happy with the Aleens in the precision applicators. I haven't yet found myself thinking "Gee, I wish I had some Tombow glue." So I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone out there might be interested.
I also use Aileens and love it. It gives me time to wiggle paper straight as I often put it down wonky! I buy the largest size bottle from Joann or Michaels and use a coupon and refill a small bottle.

Thanks for the tip on thinning it out to use in the precision bottle. I'm also retired so yes, saving money works for me. 😁

Last edited by Dorie95; 01-13-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 05:36 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a bottle at Tues morning last year and love it so much more than Tombow green because it is not sticky when dry and excess rubs off very easily. BTW, instead of cutting off the tip I poked a very small hole in my bottle and it works very well when I need to apply a thin line of glue. No need for a separate tip or water to thin it out. Love the reuse the smaller bottle idea.

I keep thinking I need to "do the math" and see if it"s cheaper at Tm or in a larger bottle with coupon @ a box store but haven't gotten around to it yet. Has anyone else done a price per ounce comparison?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,142 Likes on 516 Posts

I've been using Elmer's Glue-All on my paper beads, slightly diluted, in a precision bottle - no complaints so far!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For years my major irritation with the craft industry has been its marketing ordinary products while tricking us to believe what's old is new. Our capitalist culture --brag about inventiveness without doing any real work.  Ranger is often guilty of this trickery. The OP is an intelligent detective!  I'd love to see/learn about more of this kind of discovery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 894 Likes on 530 Posts

I got the tip from Jen at Koala T Crafts to use matte Mod Podge for glue.  She just puts hers in one of those little glue applicator bottles with the metal tip and adds a few drops of water to thin it up.  I've been doing that, and I love it!  Because it is matte, if some squeezes out of the side of the paper, embellishment, whatever, it doesn't shine and show up like the regular glues.  HTH.

Reply With Quote Likes