Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave all my other markers to my kids and got the SU markers during SaleABration so I could gets lots of free stuff! They are worth it. I use them for inking directly on stamps, omitting, and matching the writing in my cards and on my envelopes to the cardstock. It is so much better than trying to match other markers to my SU cardstock. I have had them for a year and they are all still great.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbennettView Post
I love mine. Had been considering giving them up to get some Copics till I saw this great tutorial!

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html

It made me see my markers in a whole new light, and now I dont have the copic gottagetititis!
Thank you so much for that link! I can't wait to try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

One of the absolute best investments you'll make. I'm going to get rid of my pastels that I got when I first joined because they don't even come close to offering the versatility and even quality that the markers have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #44  
Inking Addict

I bought my set from a retiring SU Demo for $90. They were hardly ever used. I used them for the 1st time to make V-day cards. I just love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewel081378View Post
If you buy the whole set anytime you'll get the case. I think what they were saying is it is an added bonus to be able to get a couple free stamp sets for buying the whole set at once. The whole set is $125 so you'd earn 2 SAB sets just for the markers.

I too bought the whole markers set just so I'd have the case and I use them all the time and have sold quite a few markers.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for explaining it, since I was not back on the computer to see the question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Bit of a hijack sorry but those who have them - what color family do you use most? I have subtles on the way, wondering what family I should get next.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Hi there Suzy_H well I have the whole set of all the markers but since you are getting the soft colors why not go with bold brights then you have the total opposite and summer is on its way after spring I just love the bold brights because I do lots of stuff for kids and teachers. and may is teacher appreciation month , I hope this helps. remember you can always use blender pens with your ink pads to try the different colors then see if thats what you really want. ~~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegirlView Post
Hi there Suzy_H well I have the whole set of all the markers but since you are getting the soft colors why not go with bold brights then you have the total opposite and summer is on its way after spring I just love the bold brights because I do lots of stuff for kids and teachers. and may is teacher appreciation month , I hope this helps. remember you can always use blender pens with your ink pads to try the different colors then see if thats what you really want. ~~~bluegirl~~
Same here. Bold brights was my first set. Now I'm thinking of getting the other three all at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #49  
Glitter Queen

Gisie....i'm doing a marker club for a couple of my girls and that might be somethig good for you. I'm not sure if you a demonstrator but that is what we are doing. We are getting four girls together and every month thery are going to pay 48.89 a month. And this is how it will break down.

each month each individual will recieve
12 markers (one color family)
one matching pack of color cardstock

alternating each month will be the hostess. The hostess of that month will recieve the hostess benefits, so $15 towards product and a level one hostess set. they will also recieve the box for that month and a pack of white card stock (40 sheets) By the end of the 4th month or 4th workshop, they will have all 48 markers, all 48 colors of paper (3 of each color), 40 sheets of white cardstock, have $15 spend in hostess benefits and a hostess level one set.

i had somebody else reccomend this so i thought i'd pass on the information. I don't have the markers yet so i am one of the 4. i'll find out how it works on sunday! i'm hoping to get at least 2 groups going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

thanks everyone

Wish I could get them all at once but I need to control myself lol

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I don't have time to read all of these comments, but if you have markers, WHAT do you do with them? all i've ever done, was color stamps or border an image that was cut to a certain rectangle size (looks like layering) I just don't use markers much.
Also could someone please fill me in - what are Copics??? never heard of them! Gin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Default Markers

I have used the Marvy markers for years to color directly on my stamps and I love them. I rarely use a stamp pad! For coloring, I do have about 30 Prismacolor markers. They were cheaper than Copics (especially when Aaron Brothers had them on sale or you use a coupon from Michael's). I love the way Prisma markers color--so smooth, like suede!

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

I have to say they are a great investment. You have all the stampin' up! colors when you have the marker set. You can use them directly on stamps! They are great with the aqua painter and the blender pens. I take the marker color I want to use - and make a scribble on a plastic plate then use the aqua painter and or the blender pens! They are wonderful for watercoloring. But when watercoloring - it is better to use the watercolor paper - SU sells a great quality water color paper.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

One of my very first SU! purchases was the marker set, plus the neutrals. And I am so glad I did this, because I have all the colors in markers, but not all the colors in the pads. Then, I try to get a couple of stamp pads and reinkers with every other order to build up my stash. I would highly recommend the marker set, the neutrals and of course, always stock up on In Color stuff before it goes away. I with they would come with markers too.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #55  
Gabfest Goddess

I debated for over a year before I got my SU markers. It was a large investment and I was afraid I might not get enough use out of them. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I use them all the time. They were definitely worth the money for me.

And the great thing about them is that when they get dry, you can reink them (unlike LaPlume). Here's how:
Using tweezers, gently grasp the pen tip and pull straight up and out. Place just a few drops (like literally only 3 or 4) in the well of the pen. Using your tweezers, re-insert the pen tip. Scribble on scrap paper a minute or two to get the ink into the tip. Just like new!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiscrapperView Post
Please excuse me for this quick thread hijack, but I wanted to know from those that own these markers if you can use them to emboss with?? Hijack over ;)
I emboss with mine. If using direct to paper colouring, I find large shapes work best and you just colour twice. I did the faux scallop on this card by embossing over marker:

Faux Scallop Crimped Riot by stampztoomuch at Splitcoaststampers

It's a different saturation of embossing, less thick than a versamarker--but I really love that. Stampin up has some great pointers for embossing with markers (below) There is also a really neat technique you can do with them called stippling. You can use either end of the marker to put repeated dots of colour on a stamp & then stamp it. If you know a demo, maybe ask her to show you the March '08 Stampin Success, so you can see the pictures. :0)

Here's the write up from it on embossing with markers and on stippling:

"Embossing: Yes, you can actually emboss a markered
image! Just ink your stamp with a marker and then
breathe heavily on the image to moisten the ink to
allow embossing powder to stick to it. To get an even
stickier image, ink your stamp using a VersaMark� pad, stamp
off, and then colour the stamp with your markers."

"tip: Another way to get great embossed images using your markers is to use a
Stamp-a-ma-jig�. First ink and stamp your image with your markers, then re-ink your
stamp using VersaMark. Stamp directly over your first image, using the Stamp-a-ma-jig
to line your images up perfectly. Cover the image with embossing powder, heat set,
and you�re done!"

"Stippling: Stippling is the art of using little dots to fill in or shade
an image. Use the brush tip of the marker for larger, more diffused
dots or the fine tip of the marker for smaller, more defined dots.
The more dots you use, the darker your image.
thanks favour. You can stipple an image and then go over your dots with an Aqua Painter�
or blender pen. This will fill in your image with colour while leaving your dots intact."

There are two other techniques in there too: loading and using markers as stamps. If any one is interested in that lemme know and I'll write another essay, lol

Sorry for taking up so much room, :0)
Mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Cool Caribbean and Blue Bayou Markers (CTMH)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60'sView Post
One of my very first SU! purchases was the marker set, plus the neutrals. And I am so glad I did this, because I have all the colors in markers, but not all the colors in the pads. Then, I try to get a couple of stamp pads and reinkers with every other order to build up my stash. I would highly recommend the marker set, the neutrals and of course, always stock up on In Color stuff before it goes away. I with they would come with markers too.

Diane
Wouldn't that be great!?! :0) What I'd flip for is a craft pad in the in colours. Even just a stampin' spot...You can find markers in 2 shades that are identical to Blue Bayou and Cool Caribbean from Close to My Heart. They are called Breeze (matches Cool Caribbean) and Twilight (matches Blue Bayou.) They also have ink pads, reinkers, and cardstock. 12x12 & standard 8.5 x 11" I'm an SU demo, but I bought them and they are gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

I love my SU markers! So many uses. I use mine on my stamps alot. I dont have the whole set yet but I am working on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampztoomuchView Post
I emboss with mine. If using direct to paper colouring, I find large shapes work best and you just colour twice. I did the faux scallop on this card by embossing over marker:

Faux Scallop Crimped Riot by stampztoomuch at Splitcoaststampers

It's a different saturation of embossing, less thick than a versamarker--but I really love that. Stampin up has some great pointers for embossing with markers (below) There is also a really neat technique you can do with them called stippling. You can use either end of the marker to put repeated dots of colour on a stamp & then stamp it. If you know a demo, maybe ask her to show you the March '08 Stampin Success, so you can see the pictures. :0)

Here's the write up from it on embossing with markers and on stippling:

"Embossing: Yes, you can actually emboss a markered
image! Just ink your stamp with a marker and then
breathe heavily on the image to moisten the ink to
allow embossing powder to stick to it. To get an even
stickier image, ink your stamp using a VersaMark� pad, stamp
off, and then colour the stamp with your markers."

"tip: Another way to get great embossed images using your markers is to use a
Stamp-a-ma-jig�. First ink and stamp your image with your markers, then re-ink your
stamp using VersaMark. Stamp directly over your first image, using the Stamp-a-ma-jig
to line your images up perfectly. Cover the image with embossing powder, heat set,
and you�re done!"

"Stippling: Stippling is the art of using little dots to fill in or shade
an image. Use the brush tip of the marker for larger, more diffused
dots or the fine tip of the marker for smaller, more defined dots.
The more dots you use, the darker your image.
thanks favour. You can stipple an image and then go over your dots with an Aqua Painter�
or blender pen. This will fill in your image with colour while leaving your dots intact."

There are two other techniques in there too: loading and using markers as stamps. If any one is interested in that lemme know and I'll write another essay, lol

Sorry for taking up so much room, :0)
Mel
Awesome information!! Thanks for posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiscrapperView Post
Awesome information!! Thanks for posting
My pleasure! Here's more from Stampin Success:

"Markers as Stamps: Markers themselves can be used as
stamps. Using the brush end of the marker, press down on the
side of the brush tip. This will create a tear-drop shape that can
be used to create flowers, leaves, butterflies, hearts, and more.

tip: Don�t pick up the tip of the marker between
�stamps.� Instead, keep the tip of the marker on
the paper, roll your wrist, and stamp again. This
creates a softer image.

Loading: Loading creates a gradient effect using two markers in
different shades. Scribble a little of the darker marker on a piece
of plastic or vinyl (or even a Stamp & Supply box). Then roll
the tip of the lighter marker in the ink from the darker marker.
Use the side of the brush tip to ink an image.
little things card

tip: Sometimes the best two shades for this
technique are totally different colours, rather than
tone-on-tone. We loaded a So Saffron marker with
Pumpkin Pie, but on our image it looks just like the
colour gradients in a real orange slice."

:0) Mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

I love mine. I use them instead of getting all the stamp pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

I'd be interested in starting a marker club too as I don't have them either. PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

I am going to be in the minority with this, but I would not make the investment if I were you.....

I will be selling mine shortly, I do have the whole set.

What I liked ....matching colors
what I didn't like...the brush tips were not good quality, I have more then half that came in not great shape..
I didn't realize how bad of shape they were (mind you I rarely used them, but loved having them when I did need them) till I got some Tombow brand markers (in my Angel Company new demo kit!) and the tips were in SUCH great shape. I really couldn't believe the quality difference and was disappointed in poor quality from a SU product. I do really like many SU products and believe they have great products, but the markers were not one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
Ok, I don't have time to read all of these comments, but if you have markers, WHAT do you do with them? all i've ever done, was color stamps or border an image that was cut to a certain rectangle size (looks like layering) I just don't use markers much.
Also could someone please fill me in - what are Copics??? never heard of them! Gin
SU Markers rock. I use them all the time to watercolor images. If you look at my gallery or my blog today's post (Feb 29) you'll see a card using an image from For Faterh. It is a line image watercolored with the markers. Take the marker and rub it on a piece of plastic, like the SU storage boxes. The color is way more intense than using an ink pad. I use the smaller end of the marker for highlights. LOVE these markers. I've had the same set for 4 years. One marker needs to be replaced. (yo yo yellow, go figure!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #65  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks, Joan, for this tip. I've often wanted more vibrant colors, but not as vibrant as going directly marker to paper. I am going to try this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my SU markers and haven't had any trouble with "splitting tips". I use them all the time, though not for journaling, since I'm not a "scrapbooker" but a card maker.

I got mine one color family at a time and really like the plastic box/case thingy that each set came in by doing it one color family at a time. They stay organized and I never have any trouble finding the color I want this way.

Last edited by Grateful4grace; 03-01-2008 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

I heard so many great things about them that I just ordered mine...can't wait to get to play with them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

I heard so many great things about them that I just ordered mine...can't wait to get to play with them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At a craft party recently we had Zig markers, Marvy markers and SU markers. We did a comparison and thought the SU markers were the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewel081378View Post
If you buy the whole set anytime you'll get the case. I think what they were saying is it is an added bonus to be able to get a couple free stamp sets for buying the whole set at once. The whole set is $125 so you'd earn 2 SAB sets just for the markers.

I too bought the whole markers set just so I'd have the case and I use them all the time and have sold quite a few markers.
I just took the plunge and treated myself to my own personal workshop. I bought the markers and a stamp set I've been coveting. It came to a little over $150, so I got hostess benefits, hostess level 1 set, and three SAB sets! I can't wait til it all comes in!
I've been wanting the markers forever but the price held me back. Now that my old markers are drying up, I could justify the expense (kinda).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianyaView Post
I bought mine a couple years ago when my demo offered to do a "marker club" Each month we would get a different color family of markers, and they were a bit cheaper this way. She would buy the entire set, and each of us 4 girls would get a different color family. The "hostess" for that month would get the case and the hostess benefits.
Kinda like a Stamper 10 group, but with markers.

Does your demo still do the marker club? I see you are from Alberta. May I ask which part of Alberta? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #72  
Crimping Master

I use tombows and copics

For me, they just have a better array of coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

I bought the entire set about 6 years ago...luv them!!!! no problems whatsoever
Reply With Quote Likes