Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #1  
kraf*T*y mama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin up inks

Tell why stampin up ink pads are better than the ones at the LSS. What
color(s) would you recommend getting first? I have several stamp pads from the LSS and I know Stampin Up are very different...for one I can never figure out how to open them LOL. I know it makes it easier to coordinate with the paper because they come in the same colors etc. Just looking to see which colors to get first!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about trying the stamping spots if you aren't sure about colors? Then you could get a color family all at once. I love the fact that they match the cardstock, this is a big thing for me. My favorite colors are certainly celery, apricot appeal, sage, handsome hunter, to name a few. It all depends on my mood but these are the basics I reach for alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are pros and cons to SU inks:

Pros: this is by far the biggest, IMHO. They match/coordinate with SU's excellent cardstock and accessories.
The size of the ink pad is fairly large
Nice and juicy -- last a long time
can't lost the top

Cons: I hate the design. While it keeps the ink pad upside down, I often get ink on my hands opening and closing the darn things. Also, the pads wear out in the middle because there is no support under the middle. Now, I have had mine a long time and am careful to stamp in the edges of the pads, but it is something to think about.

The classic black is not truly waterproof. There are better waterproof black inks out there -- memories, pallette noir, etc.

If you are buying SU cardstock, get the inks. The positives outweigh the negatives IMHO!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like the design and they don't fit in my ink holder. Plus they are expensive. Those are the main cons in IMHO.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I only buy SU inks. I have many of the other brands available on the market & have just given bout 50 of them away to good will. I will never go back to the others. There's such a difference. 4.95 is not expensive by any means. The color choices are great and they last a long, long time. Plus you can always buy re-inkers for 2.50, too. I don't have any cons with them. They are a little more difficult open but once you figure out the nack of it, they are a piece of cake. The stamp pads are bigger as well and that is really nice. I like to press the ink pad against the lid so that I can use the ink for watercolors. Cant' do that with many of the others.

Go buy one or 2 and see what you think.

tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 13 !!!!!!! And although $4.95 is a good price, I have to add shipping to that. I can get great colors at LSS for about the same and don't have to pay shipping. I think SU is great for the many, many people who don't have good LSS in their area. And SU definitely has tons of supporters. They make a great product. Believe me, I don't mean to slam them. I just don't like their ink pads (spots and reinkers are fine)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

For me, the 2 biggest PROs for the SU pads....

1. Size- this size and design is so much easier to use for large stamps vs. the more traditional design.

2. Coordination- I love that my red ink pad, coordinates wonderfully with my red marker, my red paper, and my red ribbon. I just can't get this level of coordination at my LSS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I love that I can coordinate the stamp pad with the paper with the ribbon with the brads with the . . . everything!

The only pads I have that aren't SU are the Tsukineko pads (Encore Metallics, VersaMark, StazOn) and I just bought the Essential Glue Pad! I can't wait to get it (morethanink.com has it for (9.75 with the refill at 3.75).

I really like the quality of the Tsukineko pads. Very juicy and great quality. I used the gold and silver pads to emboss the edges of some of my cards and inserts so the pads 'ripped' a bit, but I kept those to ink the edges and bought new ones to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

My vote on SU! color choices to start with are:

a green (certainly celery, old olive, green galore of gable green)
a pink (pixie, passion or regal rose)
brown (chocolate chip)
real red or ruby red
I do not like the SU! basic black, I prefer Stazon black and it's waterproof
a blue (ballet, bashful or tempting turquiose)

The colors in the Bold Brights are more fun and great for summer. Bold Brights and Earth Elements are my personal favorites...but my style is whimsical and fun, not so much elegant.

I own all the SU! pads and many other brands, probably close to 100 total ink pads. SU! by far is my favorite! Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #10  
neglecting the kids and housework

Ok I have one little blurb to add as a pro for SU pads. You get a well educated and helpful demonstrator with your order. You can call to place an order from your couch in your pajamas and your goodies will arrive at your door packaged safely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #11  
immzw4

I have almost all the SU pads, but I also have Palette, Brilliance, Tim Holtz Distress, and several others. I have no trouble opening the SU pads, but have a heck of a time closing them. I make a mess with them too. But as many said, you can't beat the color choices or the coordination. The white craft ink is wonderful. The Palette Noir is a better black and is waterproof and can have gamsol used with it without smearing. I don't buy the cheaper ink pads anymore because I just didn't ever use them. I didn't like the colors. They had green. But not olive and not jade and not spring green. Just green. I want the shades of color since I love monochromatic styles as much as I love color combinations.

SU has quality ink pads, a little annoying to handle, but all in all, I really appreciate the work SU put into the planning and execution of their color lines. I really love the variety and shades they offer, and the price isn't that much more than the cheap pads, and ended up being less expensive for me since I gave away all my cheap pads without using them much!

Good colors? Hmmm. I like the Rich Regals and the Earthy Elements best, but I had to have some colors from all the different groups, plus the in colors because they are so pretty. Pick a color group and buy the spots. See if you like, and if so, go nuts with the pads. You won't be sorry.

Michelle

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I have all of the SU inks with the exception of in colors. I also love that they coordinate with the cardstock! I much prefer the old-style, flip-lid style though. Since I signed with TAC I've fallen in love with the palette inks too. Love them b/c I can stamp in a color besides black or brown and watercolor without smearing!

My favorite SU colors are certainly celery, rose red, brocade blue, so saffron and chocolate chip. I guess I should've added "today" because my faves change on a daily basis, lol!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have all the spots and a few of the full size pads. I LOVE the spots since I can have all the colors while saving money and space. I've had mine since they came out and have not had to reink (although I have all the reinkers, too!). I have started collecting the Palette spots and like what I've used so far, expecially the Noir. But, I always reach for my SU ink first. As previously posted, you just can't beat having everything coordinated. Just a heads up, the price of ink pads is going up in the new catty to $5.50. Not sure what the spots will cost. You might want to invest before June 30.
Reply With Quote Likes