Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette digital craft cutter

Any one have a Silhouette or know anything about them???? Want more die cut ability, and looking for something that is not as costly as all the cartridges...
thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

here are some good threads on it:

Sillouhette SD by grandepuce at Splitcoaststampers

Sillouhuette by JoyceL at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

thanks Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the original Jacki, purchased in 2008 and I can say I love it. Just about anything you want to cut is in the digital store and there are scores of free designs on the internet as well. I love that I can size an image to exactly what I need and that I don't have to buy a cartridge of designs I don't love just for the one or two I do like. I like that many big names collaborate with Silhouette, Hero Arts to name one. They just started selling Mr. Men and Little Miss this past week! Yep I do love this cutter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the original and bought mine last year. Didn't feel using an SD card was worth the extra $$. I have been LOVING mine so far.

Now I hear Silhouette even has free weekly downloads!! Haven't found out where though. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

The free downloads are on the home page of the store (where you would buy the downloads)

I love mine and got the SD bc it was on sale and Kristina Werner did a review on it and it cuts amazing details. Also check out Nichol Magouirk she does videos on layouts using the Sihouette.

Also you can get it pretty cheap now for like 159

Last edited by Kalonismommy; 01-27-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an original- wouldn't trade it for anything!! No dies/ cartridges to buy-you can buy downloads from Quickutz, and there are forums etc on the net that you can download GDS files from-UK Scrappers is brilliant- you need to read the info( join & be a member & posting for 30 days before you can download templates) but they have hundreds.Any font on your pc-even dingbat ones- can be cut out, in any size. You are not even limited to specific font sizes, you can enlarge or shrink to whatever you want.
BTW, Silhouette/Wishblade/ Craft Robo are all the same machine, and as of this year are all being marketed under the Silhouette name.
This Silhouette page is a training page, and takes you through everything it can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my CraftRobo for over 3 years now and love it still. I think also you'll have better luck with mats and blades for it although the cricut stuff is available in Michaels & HL, I haven't had to replace my mat - I just re-sticky it - and I just last week changed my blade after 3 years use. I can still use the old blade, and it cut fine. I just needed to go over the cuts twice now. And I love that I haven't had to invest hundreds of dollars into cartridges for just a few shapes I might want. I design a lot of my own stuff, so that is a bonus as well - you don't have to buy separate software to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I'm so excited. I just ordered one online yesterday. Can hardly wait for the mail! Problem is it will probably take 2 weeks to get here. Ah, well, I've waited this long. . .

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is on my someday list. buying one would take a big chunk out of my yearly craft budget so I keep putting it off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxermom16View Post
I'm so excited. I just ordered one online yesterday. Can hardly wait for the mail! Problem is it will probably take 2 weeks to get here. Ah, well, I've waited this long. . .
You will love it! Have fun when it comes in!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

It's finally here! Can hardly wait to get started!

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Default Cut too deep

I received mine a couple of weeks ago and was eager to try it out. I tried to cut out label adhesives so that only the top is cut and the bottom stays uncut. BUT it cut through the whole thing and even went so deep that it cut some of the carrier mat that it come with. I've adjusted the thickness to 1 ...the lowest setting and it was still doing the same thing. I've read one post about their CS saying it was the software, but I used the latest 1.5 and it was still not working. I contacted CS and they said they will send out a new blade even though I thought it wouldn't be the blade, but they said it's something like their formal steps... which is not something I wanted to wait for just because it's their step since that's waiting a lot longer for the blade and possible that it's not even the blade. I'm thinking of either just returning and trying out another ...since that might even be faster...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigglerView Post
I received mine a couple of weeks ago and was eager to try it out. I tried to cut out label adhesives so that only the top is cut and the bottom stays uncut. BUT it cut through the whole thing and even went so deep that it cut some of the carrier mat that it come with. I've adjusted the thickness to 1 ...the lowest setting and it was still doing the same thing. I've read one post about their CS saying it was the software, but I used the latest 1.5 and it was still not working. I contacted CS and they said they will send out a new blade even though I thought it wouldn't be the blade, but they said it's something like their formal steps... which is not something I wanted to wait for just because it's their step since that's waiting a lot longer for the blade and possible that it's not even the blade. I'm thinking of either just returning and trying out another ...since that might even be faster...
The same thing happens with my machine. I've tried to change the settings with the blade and thickness of cardstock but it always cuts deep into the mat. Initially I thought it was user error and even had my husband take a look at the settings. I spoke to a friend who also has the same issues with hers. I've left it alone, since I'd rather have it cut deep than not giving me sharp cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SD and love it!
btw the carrier sheet is supposed to get cuts in it, that's normal, as long as it doesn't cut all the way through the carrier sheet you're fine. Eventually you might have to replace it, it is considered a "consumable item".
I haven't tried adhesive sheets yet but I had tried their vinyl and it only cuts through the vinyl and not the backing sheet so maybe try the vinyl setting when cutting adhesive sheets?

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

So I went back to Amazon's reviews and found one review that talked about how it cuts deep. The solution they used was putting in a paper ring so that the blade doesn't go as deep. So I used the inside piece of a hang tag ring hole and punched out a smaller hole and it fits around the metal blade part. Put that in the blue cap and it actually cut the top sheet and not the bottom (only some area slightly..but better than cutting through the whole thing and jamming the machine!!!) and of course setting thickness was still at 1.

So I will be using this method for now and will see if the new blade they will send me will work.

BTW - where do you guy buy cardstock...like kraft ones....?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Have only tried a couple of sheets of cardstock so far, but my new silhouette sd works great! It's going to save me tons by not having to buy punches and nesties. Glad I found it before buying tons of those. Much less space than storing the other things too! Win win all around.

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of you use Stampin Up paper with your Silhouette? I'm on the verge of buying one, but am a little concerned about it cutting through the SU paper since it's so heavy. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
Do any of you use Stampin Up paper with your Silhouette? I'm on the verge of buying one, but am a little concerned about it cutting through the SU paper since it's so heavy. Thanks!
SU! paper is no problem (it really isn't that thick). I can cut 200# cardstock with mine although it does take two passes. I can cut SU and Bazzill in one pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Can you cut cereal box thickness of chipboard in the silhouette? I can count on one finger the number of times I've needed to do this in the cricut but you never know.

I was also concerned about SU card stock and PTI card stock, not because I have any problems cutting them with my cricut but because others have.
I'm not sure what weight cereal box cardboard is, but like I said, I can cut 200# cardstock that I use to make boxes with. The cardstock I've been using seems to be about the same weight as cereal box - maybe slightly lighter. I don't know about PTI since I've never used it, but I'm sure if I can cut 200#, a wishblade/silhouette/craftrobo will cut PTI cardstock without a problem too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

thanks. I think SU is like 110.

I actually had a craft robo when they first came out. It did cut SU without any trouble but the truth is, I only used it twice. Mainly because at the time, I had only one computer and it was nowhere near my craft room. Now I have a netbook plus the option to use SD cards is attractive to me.
I'm using an older CraftRobo (blue lid) and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I love it. Re: SU! cardstock - its actually 80lb - but because it has so much ink/pigment to get the deep colour, it actually makes the card stiffer than most. This may be what the problem is when people try to cut SU! card. Plus it has very tight fibres. Cardstock with loose fibres will cut easier. Humidity will affect how cardstock performs in the cutting machines as well. There's a lot of variables, so the same machine might not perform the same in a different location. Its lots of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Are the SD cards you can use with the silhouette the same as the SD cards I use in my digital camera? Or do you buy them from the Silhouette site ?

So if I understand you correctly you can load the images on a SD card and then use the Silhouette without being connected to the computer. Correct?

I only have one computer and it is not in my dinette area where I do crafts.

As you can see by my questions techie stuff is not my strong suit LOL
Thanks
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Yes the SD is the same as you use for a camera which is the one of the main reason I wanted a silhouette but I have yet to use this feature. With laptops and netbooks it is so easy to be mobile with your silhouette but I guess I should try that feature at least once. There is also a new aluminum blade holder that lets you cut chipboard and very heavy cardstock easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have any electronic die cutter. The fact that I would need to buy the machine and then spend a small fortune on cartridges didn't appeal to me.

I just spent some time on the Silhouette site. The idea of buying just the images you want is very intriguing . For the price of ONE Cricut cartridge "on sale" I could buy 40 images I really want. Plus if I am working on a project and don't have what I would like to use I can just go online 24/7 and buy it for 99�.
The initial investment of the machine is quite high. But after that it look like it would be much cheaper.
Hum-m-m-m This idea may have promise :cool:

What problems have Silhouette users encountered??
Can you use SCAL?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampacidalView Post
Yes the SD is the same as you use for a camera which is the one of the main reason I wanted a silhouette but I have yet to use this feature. With laptops and netbooks it is so easy to be mobile with your silhouette but I guess I should try that feature at least once. There is also a new aluminum blade holder that lets you cut chipboard and very heavy cardstock easily.
Thanks!! I don't have a laptop computer and my computer stand is too small to put a die cutting machine on it
Please let us know how the SD card works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I don't have any electronic die cutter. The fact that I would need to buy the machine and then spend a small fortune on cartridges didn't appeal to me.

I just spent some time on the Silhouette site. The idea of buying just the images you want is very intriguing . For the price of ONE Cricut cartridge "on sale" I could buy 40 images I really want. Plus if I am working on a project and don't have what I would like to use I can just go online 24/7 and buy it for 99�.
The initial investment of the machine is quite high. But after that it look like it would be much cheaper.
Hum-m-m-m This idea may have promise :cool:

What problems have Silhouette users encountered??
Can you use SCAL?
The Silhouette comes with it's own software. It's FABULOUS! SO user friendly and it's updated frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Here is the link to Silhouette- the tutorials talk you through everything the machine can do. The new software (studio) is being updated all the time, to include new features. It is easy & very user friendly. The other thing to remember is that it can cut any font on your pc-including dingbats- in any size you want. And there are thousands of free to download fonts on the web.A couple of weeks ago I downloaded some ornamental fonts( flourishes, etc) & one that typed out as antique keys. I cut some sheets of theses out of inkjet film, now I have a load of masks, a la Tim Holtz!
The site UK Scrappers,, has forums all about the machine, and once you have been a member for one month, you have access to a huge library of cutting files that are free to download to members.
Buying a Silhouette was definitely the best purchase I ever made. It cost me about the same as a normal die cutting machine, and 1 alphabet set. But I have never had to buy an alpha die set since.Another thing,not only can you cut something from about a half inch to 8inches- you can scale it to suit you-on the screen you get the little box with handles, so you can stretch, squish or rotate the image, and resize to what you want, rather than to specific font sizes.Some cardstock does require more than one pass to cut, but you have a clickable button on screen to do that. Plus you can slow down the speed it cuts at, which usually cures the problem anyway. One other thing, I have found Silhouette support to be fantastic- a couple of years ago my hard drive failed, so I lost everything on it. I e-mailed them to ask what I could do about all the designs I had bought from their site. Apparently they keep a digital record of what you purchase- they gave me a link to redownload them all- within 12 hours( I'm in the Uk so I was impressed with that. They have also been really quick to respond to any question- even when it turned out to be a stupid one, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I forgot to mention that Silhouette does have a new proprietary software for the new machines called Silhouette Studio. You can use/import older files used on the wishblade/craftrobo/silhouette machines, but the files are not backward compatible. Also, if you save overtop your older cut file, it is no longer backward compatible so anyone not using the Silhouette Studio software wouldn't be able to use the file. Silhouette Studio is free right now and ships with the new machines, but I imagine it will be a purchased software soon (I suspect once it updates). One nice thing about the new software is that for some reason it makes the machines cut deeper. So for those of us with older machines that would only cut cardstock, we can cut thin chipboard now too. You will probably still need to do 2 passes, but with my old software I couldn't cut chipboard unless I was satisfied with some rough edges and sanded it. There is also a new version of RoboMaster - version 5.3 that includes the link to the Silhouette store so you can download the weekly free cut file (as long as it is gsd format). Most of the new free files will be in studio format, so you will have to have Silhouette Studio installed to download and cut these files. And lastly, the new v5.3 RM also cuts deeper for some reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Where have you seen a blade holder that will allow the cutting of chipboard? I MUST have one! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

I found that, too, but wasn't sure. I will probably order that at some point in the future, and see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Gale, do you mind telling me where you ordered from? I've been on the lookout for the best price and Scrap-mart seems to be it.

Catwoman, thanks for answering my question about the SU paper. Just curious - where do you find 200# paper? Sounds like something I'll need to make boxes, etc. if I buy the Silhouette.

Thanks!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigglerView Post
Just a thought, have you tried a different blade holder? I got three with mine, a pink, blue & yellow, each meant for a different thickness card /paper.I think its blue for thin paper/vinyl/vellum, yellow for medium weight, and pink for heavy stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=shazsilverwolf;18066476]Here is the link to Silhouette- the tutorials talk you through everything the machine can do. UK Scrappers,, has forums all about the machine, and once you have been a member for one month, you have access to a huge library of cutting files that are free to download to members.

I just joined the UK Scrappers today - thanks for the site. I have had my silhouette for over a year and have never had the chance to sit down and try it out. I purchased it because I liked the idea of not having to buy cartridges for every little cut and it was on sale because the SD was coming out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
Gale, do you mind telling me where you ordered from? I've been on the lookout for the best price and Scrap-mart seems to be it.

Catwoman, thanks for answering my question about the SU paper. Just curious - where do you find 200# paper? Sounds like something I'll need to make boxes, etc. if I buy the Silhouette.

Thanks!
Julie
I bought it at a local paper distributor. Its Domtar paper so you might be able to find some in your area. You could look up paper distributors in your area. Sometimes they will have a cash & carry for off-cut stuff they can't sell to their customers. That's where I get all my heavier papers from. I've also found some really nice cardstocks in different colours reasonalby priced. The 200# cardstock I bought are 12x18 sheets. I got 250 sheets for about $10.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I bought it at a local paper distributor. Its Domtar paper so you might be able to find some in your area. You could look up paper distributors in your area. Sometimes they will have a cash & carry for off-cut stuff they can't sell to their customers. That's where I get all my heavier papers from. I've also found some really nice cardstocks in different colours reasonalby priced. The 200# cardstock I bought are 12x18 sheets. I got 250 sheets for about $10.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

How much is it at scrap-mart? if you go to Coupons | Overstock.com: Coupon Codes and Exclusive Deals and click on the 10 off 150, you can get it for 179.99 plus shipping (which is only about $3). I bought mine from amazon at 199.99 because I had a $25 gift certificate and I could get it in two days (nothing like almost instant gratification). So it was $175. Not that much cheaper I guess, but a few bucks (but again, I used some gift certificates).
Scrap-mart lists it for $189.00, but I've emailed them because it says "***preorder*** out to the side and I'm not sure what that means since it's not new. I just saw an ad from uscutter.com at the top of this page for $169.00, so I'm going to check that out as well.

Thanks for the info - Overstock sounds like the best deal. I'll be interested in hearing how you like it since you've been a Cricut user (I don't have any type of electronic cutter at the moment!) and will be able to compare them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I bought my silhouette at Archivers with a 30% coupon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Just a thought, have you tried a different blade holder? I got three with mine, a pink, blue & yellow, each meant for a different thickness card /paper.I think its blue for thin paper/vinyl/vellum, yellow for medium weight, and pink for heavy stuff.
Oh yeah, I did. The blue is suppose to be the most shallow one right...and they even sent me a replacement and it was the same - cut too deep. I do use a mac, so I wonder if it's a software issue, since I did read somewhere that it was a known issue. they said they had the software updated recently, but I downloaded the most recent version already. I haven't had to time to tell them the replacement didn't work, but they sent it out because it's one of those things they had to follow in steps. I just don't want them to say I have to send the machine back since I threw away the box already....at least I got a free new set of blades!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
SU! paper is no problem (it really isn't that thick). I can cut 200# cardstock with mine although it does take two passes. I can cut SU and Bazzill in one pass.
I just had a big mess when trying to use Stampin Up cardstock. I sent email to Sil Support and they told me the machine didn't cut well with this brand as it was denser than most cardstock 80 lb +. I'm disappointed about this.
Reply With Quote Likes