Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette

Today is my anniversary and one of my gifts was a Silhouette. Does anyone else have one? I am half afraid to install it. Is it easy to use and worth the money - or should I take it back and try for something cheaper. I did get 30% off the retail price - but still.... is it possible to have buyers remorse over a gift? Any feed back - good or bad on these?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Ive only heard great reviews from the people I know that have one.

Its will save you money since you don't have to buy font cartirdges. You can use any of your true type fonts you have on your computer.

I would think the only drawback would be that it isn't portable, unless you have a laptop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I do have a laptop (I do not have a desk top anymore). I have a quickutz - I got mine years ago - and I only have one font and it is only uppercase (when I got mine, you bought the upper and lower separately). That is why I was looking at the Silhouette to start with. I was looking at that and the Cricut and my friend who owns a scrapbook store said the Silhouette was better (then I realized she does not sell cricuts - so maybe her oppinion was biased). I have not installed the software and started to play yet - I plan on doing that today. My poor scrapbooks are all the same font unless with a few exceptions of a font a friend of mine shared with me before I moved (and of course some hand done lettering). So I am pscyched that I will have options now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I could afford it, I would have a Silhouette. I definitely like the idea of not having to buy different cartridges and being able to use any true type font on my computer. There are tons of free fonts available. I got my Cricut on sale for $139, so it was a pretty good deal at the time, but I only have 3 cartridges because I don't want to spend so much more money. By the time I spend much more on cartridges, I could have just spent the money and got a Silhouette and had so many more options available. I say enjoy your gift and let us know how you like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

If you have it keep it!! It is suppose to be easy to install and easy to use. I don't have one, only because I have a MAC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Ok..I guess I'm behind everyone else, but what is a Silhouette?? It sounds neat!! TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
Ok..I guess I'm behind everyone else, but what is a Silhouette?? It sounds neat!! TIA
It is made by quickutz and it is hooked up to your computer or laptop. You can use any font that is on MS Word that is a "true font" (does not do stuff like wingdings). It comes with some die cuts and you can download more from their website (if you by a download card at a local scrapbook store for 50% off the price you would pay if you paid online). Anyway - I wanted it for titles and words on my scrapbook pages - I don't know if I will use it much for die cuts - but we will see.

Here is a link to see more about it. It is really easy to install on your computer (just like a printer)

http://www.quickutz.com/qk2/silhouette/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the info! Please post after you've played with it, and let us know what you think of it!! Good luck!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSDinks1993View Post
It is made by quickutz and it is hooked up to your computer or laptop. You can use any font that is on MS Word that is a "true font" (does not do stuff like wingdings). It comes with some die cuts and you can download more from their website (if you by a download card at a local scrapbook store for 50% off the price you would pay if you paid online). Anyway - I wanted it for titles and words on my scrapbook pages - I don't know if I will use it much for die cuts - but we will see.

Here is a link to see more about it. It is really easy to install on your computer (just like a printer)

http://www.quickutz.com/qk2/silhouette/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have one and LOVE it! Definitely join the Wishblade yahoo group. They have great tutorials, free shared cutting shapes, and can answer any questions. It was fairly easy to learn, I did have some great support from my LSS where I bought it. She did hands on demos for me to show me how to use. I use it on almost every scrapbook page for titles. Definitely look for chunky ttfs! Lots of free ones. And buy the download cards from your store, they make the downloads almost half price, they do run 2 for one specials online once in a awhile. There is also some software to buy to let you trace and create or there is a free inkscape program. I use inkscape to merge letters together to form a title and create mats behind it. Good luck you won't regret!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

How to a join the wishblade yahoo group?
My husband did buy me a download card at the store when he bought the Silhouette. My friend that owns the store demo'd it for us - but it was a quick demo and she never actually printed the title she created - she just showed me how to create it.
I have to admit, I am a little intimidated by it. I have installed the software on my laptop, but I have yet to plug the thing in. I don't know why it intimidates me - especially since I have worked with computers for a living - silly me.... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

If you have a yahoo account, go into groups and search for wishblade. You will then have to ask to join the group, and they will send an email telling you that you've been added. Under settings, adjust emails to be sent as grouped, this way you won't get emails all day long but 1 email for every 25 posts. PM me if you have any problems, Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there,

I have a Sihouette with the money I received for a recent birthday and so far I do like it. It was easy to install and I'm able to create a title on the screen for example. However, my trouble is actually getting it cut out onto the paper effectively, as no matter how many times I read the instructions and which cardstock to use/colour blade, I'm never achieving a perfect cut :(

I've contacted Silhouette several times and they've always been more than helpful I guess it's just trial and error, but I think I'd really benefit from some Demo! There's lots of potential with this machine, but I've yet to get the time to do this.

Thank you mentioning the Yahoo Groups Wishblade I'd be interested in joining that as I don't know anyone with this machine, and I'd like to get to know others who use this etc.

babybluegirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

With Bazzill and SU cardstock I always cut twice. Just click on your item to cut so it has a box around it, click on copy and then paste. It should turn the outline a different color. That always give me a great cut. I also slow my cut speed down to 4. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Default Too many choices...

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflopstamperView Post
With Bazzill and SU cardstock I always cut twice. Just click on your item to cut so it has a box around it, click on copy and then paste. It should turn the outline a different color. That always give me a great cut. I also slow my cut speed down to 4. Good luck.
Hi there,

Thanks for your tips ;) I don't possess Bazzill or SU cardstock, I'm just using everyday normal coloured card! Similarly, I always have my cutting speed at the lowest setting!

I think my troubles are to do with recognising which type of media to use, therefore which colour blade to go with it :S

How does one know whether the paper you are using is:
1) Thick media? 2) Thin media? 3) Bond paper 13-28lbs? 4) 5) Bristol paper 57-67lbs? 6) Cardstock 40-60lbs? etc...

I've never heard of bond paper or bristol paper for example! How will I know if it's 13-28lbs or 57-67lbs? Totally confused with all these options!

babybluegirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

It is kind of confusing! I wish the Silhouette had a better guide! I use cardstock 40-60 for SU which is like a vanilla folder thickness. I put in the pink even though it says to use the yellow cutter. I did alot of trial and error after ripping up a bunch of paper! I tested the paper with different cutters and tried different settings. If you use the same type of paper then once you get the right combo it should work all the time! Sometimes when you buy paper at Staples, it states on the outside the weight, and if it cardstock. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Default Silhouette Query - very long post! oops.

Quote:

It is kind of confusing! I wish the Silhouette had a better guide! I use cardstock 40-60 for SU which is like a vanilla folder thickness. I put in the pink even though it says to use the yellow cutter. I did alot of trial and error after ripping up a bunch of paper! I tested the paper with different cutters and tried different settings. If you use the same type of paper then once you get the right combo it should work all the time! Sometimes when you buy paper at Staples, it states on the outside the weight, and if it cardstock. Good luck.
Thanks for your message, glad I'm not the only one that has had trouble with the paper thickness/colour blade to use.

Am I right in saying that when you put the paper onto the sticky cutting mat, it's best to do a whole of whatever you want cutting to save wasting paper? Or do people just cut something small and reuse the paper another time? I just find that if you keep taking off the paper just for one small thing, e.g. a title for a card, you'll lose the stickiness of the cutting mat? Please advise because I have no idea what is right/wrong!

So far, I've not had much luck with my Silhouette, and recently I did a whole page of "snow" onto A4 cardstock. It cut most of it through, but not all of the letters through entirely. Thus, when I tried to peel off carefully the A4 paper, some letters were left behind on the cutting mat and the majority of the letters came off with the A4 paper. So therefore I had to try and tear the letters apart because they were not cut all the way through - hope this is making sense for you poor people who are reading this! lol.

I am thinking that perhaps if this is done in the future, then I'll put the cardstock back in the machine and re-cut it - i.e. done all the way through twice. My only problem is, will the cutter cut the words at the exact same place? Is there a chance that the way I feed in the cutting mat might make the cutting slightly out, even if it was by millimetres - it'll make all the difference!?!

Thank for reading this very long post!

babybluegirl

Last edited by babybluegirl; 11-13-2007 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

To make my mat sticky again, I use the big ZIG 2 way glue, the one with the large marker type top. I lightly, and I stress lightly cover the mat, when it turns clear, it is a repositional glue. The first few times it is almost too sticky, then I use the cricut spatula thing. I also pat my shirt or sheat shirt sleeve on it to loose some of the stickiness! To make the 2 cuts, just highlight and copy but don't move the object, then click paste. It should paste right ontop and turn another color. It will then cut on exactly the same lines. To use scraps, you have to specify when you open a new document to cut on, there is a little box where you can specify the length and width. I still have a problem where it starts the cut is always so far from the edge of the paper even though I put the image right up against the screen cutting lines! Hope this helps, I had a great girl at our LSS that helped me alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Default Thank You!

Quote:

To make my mat sticky again, I use the big ZIG 2 way glue, the one with the large marker type top. I lightly, and I stress lightly cover the mat, when it turns clear, it is a repositional glue. The first few times it is almost too sticky, then I use the cricut spatula thing. I also pat my shirt or sheat shirt sleeve on it to loose some of the stickiness! To make the 2 cuts, just highlight and copy but don't move the object, then click paste. It should paste right ontop and turn another color. It will then cut on exactly the same lines. To use scraps, you have to specify when you open a new document to cut on, there is a little box where you can specify the length and width. I still have a problem where it starts the cut is always so far from the edge of the paper even though I put the image right up against the screen cutting lines! Hope this helps, I had a great girl at our LSS that helped me alot.
Thank you flipflopstamper for your comments, it's been helpful! This sticky glue that you use, does it last for a few more goes only, until you can get your hands on a new cutting mat, or for quite some time? Laughed at the thought of you desticking it with your sweatshirt sleeve ;) lol

babybluegirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I bought a cricut last year when they first came out. Now I wish I would have waited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
I bought a cricut last year when they first came out. Now I wish I would have waited.
Waited for which machine? The Wishblade? Silhouette? etc...

babybluegirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh man I had the silhouette on order through QVC but I cancelled it... dumb,dumb dumb. Now I wished I hadn't... I'll have to mark this cuz I'm telling hubby that's what I want for our anniversary next year (feb.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

The stickiness will last a long while, I am still on my original mat for 4 months and alot of cuts! My friend who owns a cricut taught me that trick. I'm hoping to add the scrap savvy software, where you can draw your own stuff and merge letters together! There is more info on the wishblade yahoo group, if you get a chance there are alot of free files to download. I got a great halloween page and snowman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Default Silhouette/Wishblade.

Quote:

The stickiness will last a long while, I am still on my original mat for 4 months and alot of cuts! My friend who owns a cricut taught me that trick. I'm hoping to add the scrap savvy software, where you can draw your own stuff and merge letters together! There is more info on the wishblade yahoo group, if you get a chance there are alot of free files to download. I got a great halloween page and snowman!
Hi there,

Thanks for your message back Are you saying/talking to me when you mentioned the Wishblade Yahoo Group - is Wishblade pretty similar to the Silhouette? Are the free files that are for the Wishblade compatible for the Silhouette?

babybluegirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to make scalloped circle shapes on the Sihouette? Similiar to the Nestability die cuts.

babybluegirl

8.09pm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Hi there,

I don't really use this machine as much as I should, but wondered if anyone knew what settings to put this Silhouette machine on if you want to cut into Bazzill cardstock.

I've tried a few different settings, even with the pink colour cap, and the setting with Tags 100lbs, it still doesn't cut all the way through successfully :( What am I doing wrong?

Please can someone help me.

babybluegirl

6.04pm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I have one and I, too, love it. The only problem with it is that it kinda sounds like a sick moose when it is cutting and my computer is in the kitchen, next to the family room. Needless to say, my family won't let me use it if they are around. I have to save all my cutting for when I am home alone. This isn't so bad because I do get time alone and I just spend the afternoon or evening planning and cutting for all my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
I have one and I, too, love it. The only problem with it is that it kinda sounds like a sick moose when it is cutting and my computer is in the kitchen, next to the family room. Needless to say, my family won't let me use it if they are around. I have to save all my cutting for when I am home alone. This isn't so bad because I do get time alone and I just spend the afternoon or evening planning and cutting for all my projects.
Do you happen to cut on bazzill cardstock at all? If so, what settings do you use please?

babybluegirl

5.40am
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

babybluegirl

7.58am
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

When cutting bazzill, turn the textured side to the mat have the smooth side up. Set it to thick matierial (i use the tag board setting) Max pressure and speed of about 1 or 2. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

OOOH I would love one of these types of machines. I have to get by on my Cuttlebug for now. DH says that one of these is in my future but I'm sure this is a long long way off! It definitely is a great buy considering you can cut pretty much anything with it and think of all the fonts you can cut now with it. Woo! I hope you are able to get it up and running in no time and have a wonderful time playing with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
When cutting bazzill, turn the textured side to the mat have the smooth side up. Set it to thick matierial (i use the tag board setting) Max pressure and speed of about 1 or 2. HTH
Thanks for your reply I'll give that a try.

bluesh4rk - hope you get one soon. It's great that you can cut so many different fonts - for a variety of sizes too!

babybluegirl

7.57pm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybluegirlView Post
Hi there,

Does anyone know how to make scalloped circle shapes on the Sihouette? Similiar to the Nestability die cuts.

babybluegirl

8.09pm
http://www.hinkeltje.com/freebees/fbgal.php?album_id=21

on this site you find freebee, who are the same as the nestabilities

gr corinne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by corcreativeView Post
http://www.hinkeltje.com/freebees/fbgal.php?album_id=21

on this site you find freebee, who are the same as the nestabilities

gr corinne
Thanks so much for replying to my post (April). Unfortunately, you're a little too late, and I've now bought all the Nestabilities shapes because I couldn't do it on my Silhouette! :(

I'll check out the website anyhow as perhaps they'll have some other things that I need lol. EDITED: I can't get onto that website - it's taking forever?!? Anyone else having problems?

babybluegirl

9.16pm

Last edited by babybluegirl; 12-24-2008 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Can't get onto the website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

sorry time difference and I had to go christmasdrink with the neighboors outside.

nestabilities are certainly not a waiste of your money. I also have a few and I still use them very often. Especially when you have stamped a image and you want to make a scallop vorm arround it.

have fun with them.

have you looked at www.paperthreads.com they have al lot of nice freebies and a lot of information

gr corinne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by corcreativeView Post
sorry time difference and I had to go christmasdrink with the neighboors outside.

nestabilities are certainly not a waiste of your money. I also have a few and I still use them very often. Especially when you have stamped a image and you want to make a scallop vorm arround it.

have fun with them.

have you looked at www.paperthreads.com they have al lot of nice freebies and a lot of information

gr corinne
Taken forever to get onto the site, had to delete a lot of the letters, so it just ended in com and not the rest. Then clicked on the freebies section manually. Saw the scalloped shapes - like the Nestabilities dies. Does anyone know how I can view the website, but in English?!? I was chuffed that I could see a download for the Nestablities Top Note die I can't wait to have a play with it.

Thanks for your other message/links, I'll check them out.

Happy holidays.

babybluegirl

9.31pm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Default Silhouette Scalloped Circle

Silhouette has a scalloped circle available for download. It is called Circle 0566 (don't know why they don't have scalloped in the name!). I think it has been available since last spring.

I have had a lot of trouble cutting designs that are not from Quickutz i.e. that I download from other sites either for free or a small free. (Not true type fonts which are all fine if you cut them large enough. I got the Silhouette b/c the Circut wouldn't cut anything smaller than 1". Then I realized it is hard to do on the Silhouette. The blade just can't make those tiny changes in direction without tearing the cardstock - I only use SU! which may be part of the problem.) I had downloaded a scalloped circle from CuttersMarket.com and when it cut the circle did not end where it began! Sometimes I could cut 3-4 and get one that ended correctly. I called Quickutz and Brad (he is the tech support guy for Silhouette) said he really couldn't help with a non-Silhouette file b/c he had no idea how it was created. I mentioned how hot scallops were but that Silhouette didn't have any scallops to purchase. Next thing I knew they had one!! May just have been a coincidence.

I was curious if others have had trouble with non-Silhouette files not cutting correctly. I am wondering if it has to do with what program was used to create the file. I have addressed this on the Silhouette Yahoo users group but can't find any good answers. I got so frustrated this fall that I got a Circut Expression when Michaels had their big Thanksgiving sale. Was busy with the holidays and have never had it out of the box! Plan to crack it open this weekend. Now I wonder if it can cut SU! cardstock!

BTW - CutatHome.com's email this week says they are selling Silhouettes for $149.99!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Default Correction

Oops!! I got a Circut CREATE not an Expression! Wanted a smaller machine that had lots of the features of the Expression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but there are tutorials at paper threads that are really great and will help you out!
http://www.paperthreads.com/
and also a super easy tutorial here for welding your words together.
http://aussiescrapsource.typepad.com/silhouette2.pdf

I love mine, I just need to use it more!!
Reply With Quote Likes