Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Refilling Stampin Write Markers

I heard from someone recently that Stampin Write Markers can be refilled using the appropriate re-inking color. Has anyone else been successful with this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Great question, I would also like to! It seems that mine especially the thin side is dry and I harldy have used them! Will be curious to know!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have pulled out the felt tip and soaked it in matching ink. I used craft pliers to remove the tip. I have also placed a few drops of ink into the hole where I removed the felt tip. It did help restore my marker. I have never added ink to the writing tip. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I do this all the time. Its really easy. I use tweezers to gently grasp the pen tip and pull it straight out. Make sure to set it down somewhere where it won't get misplaced. Place a few drops of ink in the pen tube. I found you literally only need a few, like 3 or 4, to fill it up. Pick up your tip with the tweezers again and place it back in the pen, gently pushing in. I repeat this for the other tip on the pen. Now scribble the pen on scrap paper until the coloring is good and you are ready to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

This is a great idea. I have actually replaced one of my markers because I had never heard of re-inking them and it was not writing very well at all. :( Now when my next marker goes I'll know what to do. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Talking Refilling Stampin Write Marker

You can actually fill them up by removing the entire end of the brush tip (not just the tip of the marker) and then refilling it. I use my teeth, but I'm sure pliers would work too. It's the colored part of the marker on the brush tip and you have to pull really hard for it to come off...then you can just put some reinker drops in. The end of the brush tip is the only end that will come off...the fine point tip end will not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I do not take the tip out. I just hold the marker with the brush end up. I use the reinker to put a drop of ink on the brush end. After the marker absorbs the ink I add another drop. I put 3 to 4 drops on the tip. Then I set the marker in a glass for about an hour. Then the marker is ready to use. To me this is easier than than taking the tips off. I have done this several times to my black and red markers. (These I use the most.) I have had this set of markers for over 5 years and no damage to the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
Great question, I would also like to! It seems that mine especially the thin side is dry and I harldy have used them! Will be curious to know!
Thanks!
Do you store them vertical or horizontal? They are supposed to be stored laying on their side so both tips get evenly inked. Storing them up and down makes one side dry out...learned that from first hand experience:-/

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Carol

The Stampin' Up markers have not been the same quality since the new style was introduced. The brush ends do not stay firm and pointed for as long, and the writing end seems to be dry within weeks of receiving them! This happens no matter how you store them. I know several people have contacted Stampin' Up about this, as well as demonstrators, but have gotten no response or comment on them looking into this. They are a pricey item to buy (if you get the set) to not have good quality. I kept my old style set, and although they do not include new colors, they still work better than the new ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

thanks for the tips on refilling! I'd read somewhere that this was possible but never saw exactly how to do it. I must say that I've had my SU! markers for better than 4 years and have had NO problems with them whatsoever. I have 2 or 3 that are getting a little dry, but other than that, nothing. 12 of my markers are the old style that I purchased from another demo when she wanted to get all new ones. I've no idea how long SHE had them before I bought them, but I've had them since spring, 2005!!!
Rhonda

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I do this all the time. Its really easy. I use tweezers to gently grasp the pen tip and pull it straight out. Make sure to set it down somewhere where it won't get misplaced. Place a few drops of ink in the pen tube. I found you literally only need a few, like 3 or 4, to fill it up. Pick up your tip with the tweezers again and place it back in the pen, gently pushing in. I repeat this for the other tip on the pen. Now scribble the pen on scrap paper until the coloring is good and you are ready to go.
One of my customers taught me this. I am so relieved that I did not need to start replacing my whole set. I also read somewhere that you can place the In Color reinkers in dried up blender pens to make markers from them. I have not tried this yet, but it would be super nice. Has anyone successfully done this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also read that you can put a small amount of reinker into a small plastic cup or glass jar. Then you stand your marker in the container for a few hours and the ink wicks up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6FicksView Post
One of my customers taught me this. I am so relieved that I did not need to start replacing my whole set. I also read somewhere that you can place the In Color reinkers in dried up blender pens to make markers from them. I have not tried this yet, but it would be super nice. Has anyone successfully done this?
Yes, I finally had a dried out blender pen after 2 1/2 years, so I gave it a try. I just put a couple of drops in a film cannister and set the tip in it. It works but the color wan't as vivid as I'd like. I probably need to put a few more drops in it. I still don't know if the barrel of the blender pens go clear through to the other side, so didn't want to put too much and have either side get muddy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie at Paper Pleasing Ideas has a tutorial about this...
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...torial/page/6/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up Refilling your S-UP Markers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
YEA!! So HAPPY to have found this comment..I started a thread on this question this AM...should have done a "search" first..duh??!!! hahahaha

So you CAN refill BOTH ends than? I thought I read where only the larger size end could be removed? I'm going to give this a try...I figure the cost of the refill inks is close enough to the cost of a marker, and if I have the coordinating stamp pad(s) colors, I can just the reinkers to freshen them up as well if needed...2 uses...if not more. Maybe I'm cheap?? but I like to think FRUGILE is the better word. That way I have more $$ to buy other products.

Thanks again for the info. Take care....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I added In Color reinkers to Versamarkers and got In Color markers that look great. And as an added bonus, since it's Versamark, you can emboss with them.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I just wish we could replace the tips. My real red marker has plenty of ink in it, but the brush tip is getting so frayed that it is hard to use, and I haven't even used it that much!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
I just wish we could replace the tips. My real red marker has plenty of ink in it, but the brush tip is getting so frayed that it is hard to use, and I haven't even used it that much!

Pamela
Does anyone know if the brush tips can be replaced?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

How cool would it be if SU! would come up with individual EMPTY pens and extra nibs for purchase, maybe just by demos, so that we could make our own In Color markers. Or maybe SU! could just start coming out with the markers in the In Colors as well as paper, ink pads, reinkers, etc.
rhonda

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by VittView Post
I still don't know if the barrel of the blender pens go clear through to the other side, so didn't want to put too much and have either side get muddy.
Both ends draw from the same reservoir, so you cannot use different colors on each end -- eventually they will mix!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Posting so I can find these great tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my Gosh, putting the in-colors into Versamarkers, what an awesome idea!

I agree with everyone though, on the brush tips, they are way too fragile. I have a few that have frayed, and I almost ordered new ones. I think that I will contact Stampin Up first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I second the motion that S-UP should sell the IN COLORS in the Marker writers!! I mean why don't they?? They sell the refills, so why not allow us to have the markers and at least be able to refill them ( IF we want ). I buy the reinkers to have later so that when the IN COLORS are retired, I can at least refresh my ink pads..maybe I will contact S-UP and request this also. AND...that they make replacement NIBS....Would help their sales in my humble opinion I would think??!!

GREAT idea with the versamark...but I only have ONE pen, so will have to get a couple extras to try this!! Thanks for sharing the idea.

Have a great day ALL...nasty, cold here in Michigan! Good day to stay in and STAMP!!
Take care....Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I second the motion that S-UP should sell the IN COLORS in the Marker writers!! I mean why don't they?? They sell the refills, so why not allow us to have the markers and at least be able to refill them ( IF we want ). I buy the reinkers to have later so that when the IN COLORS are retired, I can at least refresh my ink pads..maybe I will contact S-UP and request this also. AND...that they make replacement NIBS....Would help their sales in my humble opinion I would think??!!

GREAT idea with the versamark...but I only have ONE pen, so will have to get a couple extras to try this!! Thanks for sharing the idea.

Have a great day ALL...nasty, cold here in Michigan! Good day to stay in and STAMP!!
Take care....Jo
We've been asking to have In Color markers for going on four years now -- while SU! has listened to us on many occasions, I don't think this is going to be one of those requests.

Oh, and FYI, it's the blender pens, not the Versamarker, which can be used to make your own custom marker colors.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
We've been asking to have In Color markers for going on four years now -- while SU! has listened to us on many occasions, I don't think this is going to be one of those requests.

Oh, and FYI, it's the blender pens, not the Versamarker, which can be used to make your own custom marker colors.
Nope, sorry. I use VERSAMARKERS and remove the nibs and add a few drops of reinker then reinsert the nibs. Let them sit for a few hours and they work wonderfully!

I've never touched the blender pens that came with my starter kit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
You should try using them for "watercoloring" with your Stampin' Pastels -- great for folks who struggle with blending colors when using ink-based methods, and it makes your pastels more versatile because you can get more saturated color application from the same medium! Just be sure to pick up your color from a corner of the pastel cake, since the fluid from the pen will harden it.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
You should try using them for "watercoloring" with your Stampin' Pastels -- great for folks who struggle with blending colors when using ink-based methods, and it makes your pastels more versatile because you can get more saturated color application from the same medium! Just be sure to pick up your color from a corner of the pastel cake, since the fluid from the pen will harden it.
Never even opened the pastels either. :rolleyes: Sounds like I have a new technique to try. Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Nope, sorry. I use VERSAMARKERS and remove the nibs and add a few drops of reinker then reinsert the nibs. Let them sit for a few hours and they work wonderfully!

I thought??!! it was the VERSAMARKERS as I, too, do NOT use my blender pen HARDLY ever.....

Even using the S-UP Watercolor Paper, I can NOT get the "look" I want without the paper pilling...and I BARELY apply any pressure and/or ink to my stamped image...just looks "crappy" (as I call it) when I try this....??? doing wrong???

I'm gonna try your idea for using the Versamarkers but still don't understand why?? S-UP doesn't make the matching writer markers for the IN COLORS...
I mean what reason(s) would they have NOT to I guess?? Anyone else got any thoughts??

Take care, Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I thought??!! it was the VERSAMARKERS as I, too, do NOT use my blender pen HARDLY ever.....

Even using the S-UP Watercolor Paper, I can NOT get the "look" I want without the paper pilling...and I BARELY apply any pressure and/or ink to my stamped image...just looks "crappy" (as I call it) when I try this....??? doing wrong???

I'm gonna try your idea for using the Versamarkers but still don't understand why?? S-UP doesn't make the matching writer markers for the IN COLORS...
I mean what reason(s) would they have NOT to I guess?? Anyone else got any thoughts??

Take care, Jo
I would assume it's not cost effective, with only having the colors for a year.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I would assume it's not cost effective, with only having the colors for a year.
EMPTY markers would never be retired and would allow us to make our own colors and combinations.

Did you hear that SU?????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post

Pamela
That's my biggest beef with SU markers... the tips fraying, etc. Even if you can refill them, the tips can do you in first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the post that said the two ends were separate reservoirs, and that's what I would have thought, but I have a burgandy marker that came with my set of SU markers and honest to goodness, the writing end is the burgandy and the other end is artichoke. I showed my demo this, and she e'd SU to see about replacement, but they said I had purchased my set too long before I discovered this. Crazy huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by momishappyView Post
I do not take the tip out. I just hold the marker with the brush end up. I use the reinker to put a drop of ink on the brush end. After the marker absorbs the ink I add another drop. I put 3 to 4 drops on the tip. Then I set the marker in a glass for about an hour. Then the marker is ready to use. To me this is easier than than taking the tips off. I have done this several times to my black and red markers. (These I use the most.) I have had this set of markers for over 5 years and no damage to the tips.
Do you put it in the glass brush end up or down, I want to try this. Thanks for the words of wisdom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default markers

My demo just buys a new one when one of her markers dries out, she has very few reinkers in her stash. I've seen new brush tips for markers in Michaels, etc. maybe those would work?

I'd like to have the full set of their markers, but hearing that they're not as good as they used to be is making me think I should wait until SU wakes up and listens to the complaints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Empty markers and extra nibs -- that would be WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

You could buy empty Copic markers and fill them with SU reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
You could buy empty Copic markers and fill them with SU reinkers.
GREAT idea!!!!!

Now I've got a reason to justify my buying copics...hahahaha...I don't (yet) have a single one, but someday...hopefully!!! Maybe start out buying a couple here and there?? like the primary colors...dunno??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

What great ideas!! Thanks for posting, everyone.

Does anyone know if you can soak the blender pens in water to refresh them?
Stop by at Susan's Saga or PaperCraftCentral.com

Reply With Quote Likes