Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #1  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ribbon weaving punch

Hi I just saw something in Card Maker magazine (older issue) about using these decorative punches on cards and then weaving ribbon through them. Frantic stamper's site sells them. Fran who took my order suggested using this maching to help punch with these elaborate punches. It has a long lever to help you use punches that are more difficult to use on cardstock. I can't think of the name of the machine right now-but it isn't cheap. Around $50 -$60. Has anybody used this or tried the ribbon weaving before?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

bump for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a couple of them and found that they work great with thinner patterned paper, but are nearly impossible to use on SU! card stock. I don't know if the lever device would help with that or not. I haven't tried "standing" on the punch to get it to cut through card stock, mainly because I was afraid I would break the punch, but for me it would take at least that much pressure to get it to cut.

If anyone has used the lever device, I'd be interested to know if it works.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't used a lever device with one of the ribbon weave punches but I do have one and it works quite well with stubborn punches as long as they don't stick with the paper in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
I bought a couple of them and found that they work great with thinner patterned paper, but are nearly impossible to use on SU! card stock. I don't know if the lever device would help with that or not. I haven't tried "standing" on the punch to get it to cut through card stock, mainly because I was afraid I would break the punch, but for me it would take at least that much pressure to get it to cut.

If anyone has used the lever device, I'd be interested to know if it works.

Oh my gosh - I thought it was just me! I think I have gotten ONE acceptable cut in SU cardstock from this punch.

I did try a lever device that I bought at ACMoore but I had to press so hard I broke it! Snapped the handle right off! ACMoore took it back, no problem but I didn't want to try it again with a new one. I also tried standing on the punch but all I got was a sore foot. I used wax paper on it like 10 times and it was no better.

I bought the ribbon weaving punch and a book from Frantic Stamper. The designs in the book were nice and I have been wishing I could use the punch to make something. I'll try thinner paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I also saw this punch in Card Maker and purchased one from Frantic Stamper. I found a "Punch Buddy" at joann.com and purchased it with a coupon. If I remember right, it ended up costing around $12-15 after the coupon. The lever "Punch Buddy" does make it easier to punch through the SU CS, but getting the exact placement of the punch that I want while using the Punch Buddy is kind of tricky. Also, the Punch Buddy is made of plastic so I'm very careful when pushing down on it--scared it's going to break. Maybe I just need to play with it some more and see if I can get it to work for me. I have heard of a tool called a "Power Punch" that does the same thing. It costs around $70. Have never used one though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #7  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

I think the Power Punch was the device that Fran (from Frantic Stamper) reccommended. She said it is the sturdiest-but I think my DH would kill me for spending that much. I guess it would be useful on all punch (those without lever handles) in addition to the ribbon weaving ones. Anybody own the Power Punch?
Reply With Quote Likes