Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Default paper cutter verdict?

I know there was a bunch of chatter on varyious cutters, so was there an outcome? Just curious as I am tired of replacing the blade on my basic grey and orange fiskars cutter. I am not a demo if that matters in the outcome. THANKS!!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the fiskars rotary one and hate it, so DON"T buy that one. It is definitely not made to be easy to use:(
Cheryl

My creative therapy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I don't know if this helps you or not, but based on all I read here on SCS about cutters, I narrowed down my choices to the Cutterpede, the Carl RT-200, and the triple tracks. I decided that for my purposes I am happy to rely on three paper trimmers because I already purchased the fiskars 9" and 12" years ago, and went with the Carl as my heavy duty trimmer to make SB projects easier. I also rely on two pairs of scissors (a little grey Fiskars softouch, and some 14" shears). My comments on the different cutters I have considered are as follows.

Cutterpede -- I don't have this
Pros: many good comments here on SCS, sounds like it cuts "straight enough" for my purposes, relatively inexpensive and easy to find the cutter in the US, has a variety of different blades available (scoring, wavy, deckle), can cut small widths of paper, swing-out 12" ruler.
Cons: difficult to find replacement blades, must replace both the blade and the blade carriage to the tune of ~$5 US, bulkier than the Fiskars style of euro trimmer.

Carl RT-200 -- I have this
Pros: very many good comments on SCS for how straight and reliably it cuts, very sturdy, marked metal board for measuring instead of a flimsy fold-out ruler (can put tape on board to butt your paper up against for quick placement for cutting), can cut several sheets of cardstock at once, a variety of blades are available (scoring, wavy, deckle, perforating) most of which can be purchased at Wmart, replacement blades are inexpensive and small.
Cons: can't cut anything smaller than 1.5" or so, heavy and bulky compared to the Fiskars triple track.

Zision by ProvoCraft -- I have this
Pros: inexpensive, bright pretty colour, slim, scoring blades also available, replacement blades are inexpensive and small, swing-out 12" ruler.
Cons: blades dull quite quickly, doesn't necessarily cut much straighter than the Fiskars grey and orange cutter (although I have yet to see hockey-stick-shaped cuts from my Zision), replacement blades not particularly easy to find in Saskatchewan, can't cut pieces smaller than 3/4" in width, blade guide thingy doesn't swing up like the Fiskars so you must wiggle your paper under the guide every time.

Fiskars Euro Triple Track -- I have this in 9"
Pros: cuts much straigher than the grey and orange model, easy to find inexpensive, small replacement blades, scoring blades available, light, slim, portable, blade guide thingy tilts up for easy paper placement, comes with a gridded back as well as a swing out arm in the 12", the most amazing customer service in the entire world.
Cons: the replacement blades fall out when you tilt up the blade guide thingy when the blade is at a particular end of the guide.

Fiskars Grey and orange personal trimmers -- I had this in 9" and 12"
Pros: easy to find inexpensive, small replacement blades, scoring blades available, light, slim, portable, swing-out ruler on the 12", blade guide tilts up for easy paper placement.
Cons: cuts more crooked cuts than you can shake a scrapbook at! Don't buy anything less than the Triple Track model!

Office Depot house brand guillotine trimmer -- I had one of these and returned it the next day
Pros: self-sharpening blade, available in up to 15" lengths, nice gridded wooden base, sturdy, can cut many sheets of cardstock at once
Cons: the guillotine trimmer I bought, and *every other trimmer in stock in my Office Depot*, had the measuring guide thing that you butt your paper up against at the top to hold the paper square to the cutting blade, was mounted crooked! I tested all the trimmers with a set square and all of them were off by up to a millimeter just 20-25 cm down the cutting blade, so off by even more at the bottom of the blade. I did a gift 8x8 SB and used this trimmer to cut down my 8.5x11 to 8.8, as well as crop all the photos, and none of the corners that resulted from my trimmer were 90 degrees. Not to mention that the trimmer is expensive for waht you're getting (crooked cuts), very bulky and not portable at all, and suitable for a large crafting room where the thing can sit on a table all the time. I was very disillusioned by the crooked cuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Zision by ProvoCraft -- I have this
Pros: inexpensive, bright pretty colour, slim, scoring blades also available, replacement blades are inexpensive and small, swing-out 12" ruler.
Cons: blades dull quite quickly, doesn't necessarily cut much straighter than the Fiskars grey and orange cutter (although I have yet to see hockey-stick-shaped cuts from my Zision), replacement blades not particularly easy to find in Saskatchewan, can't cut pieces smaller than 3/4" in width, blade guide thingy doesn't swing up like the Fiskars so you must wiggle your paper under the guide every time.
Mahloumel gave some pretty good comments on the subject but wanted to add that I have the Zision one from Provocraft and it cuts a little bit crooked. Not so bad that it is completely noticeable but it can be really irritating when you need something to be straight. I also have the same problem with the blades dulling fast. I can find replacements easily (my LSS carries them) and you get 2 in a pack for around $5. I just wouldnt recommend this to anyone. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherylPenner
I just bought the fiskars rotary one and hate it, so DON"T buy that one. It is definitely not made to be easy to use:(
I have that one too, and found that it needs a good breaking in. After making 120 layered wedding invitations with it, the action for the blade carriage & closing latch for the track loosened up and it's been easy ever since. I use it for cutting all small pieces.

My favorite cutter is the X-Acto Heavy Duty Plastic Paper Trimmer. It handles 12x12, is light enough to pick up with a finger or two in the carry handle, and when the paper's lined up with the guides it makes nice, straight cuts through 3-4 sheets of SU cs. Granted, I haven't measured it with a square! I found it at Staples for $30. Big pro: the blade is VERY sharp. Con: I have the scars of carelessness to prove it! Definitely swing the blade fully down when not in use. Cutting anything narrower than one inch can be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Genesis Paper Trimmer is the best if you are looking for a cutter that will perfectly cut one piece of paper at a time. It will shave tiny slices off vellum or tissue paper. It is pricey -- over $200. It takes months to get. It lasts forever. It is worth the $$ and the wait.
Reply With Quote Likes