Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie trying to gather basic tools. Would you mind weighing in, please?

Sorry for posting all the newbie questions today! I'm trying to figure out the best tools to start with and it's all a little overwhelming, lol.

I'm reading The Rubber Stamper's Bible and I'm thinking I will need:

- cardstock- white or light colored
- bone folder and dry embossing tool (or Martha Stewart scoring board?)
- embossing tool
- Stamp-a-ma-jig
- powder tray (the one with the funnel for pouring powders and glitters back into jars)
- some sort of foam adhesive for that 3-D effect

I already have plenty of colored cardstock, paper trimmer, some stamps, some ink pads, good scissors, good ruler, craft knife, Glossy Accents, embossing powders (got some from a friend, but have no tool yet), Prismacolor pencil set. I am a scrapper, so I have a lot of this from my scrapping.

I'd especially love advice on whether I should get something like the MS scoring board, or start off with the bone folder/dry embossing tool first, to be sure I enjoy making cards first. I have a 40% off coupon for Michael's, so going straight to the scoring board is tempting, but I know I'll have another one before long.

Is there anything else you can think of that I might want, or is anything I listed unnecessary?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gee's there are so many tools out there that assist in making cards we just can't live without. My basics are ScorePal/ScoreBuddy, Cuttlebug, Spellbinders Dies (lots of them), Basic Gray emery board kit (sands rough edges of card stock), dye and pigment ink stamp cleaners, DISTRESS INKS (an absolute must before any other inks). India Ink for crisp images, Momento Ink, Versamark Ink, Gamsol for the Prisma colored pencils, reverse tweezers, glue dots-med and lrg, ScorePal tape-different widths (excellent tape for every use including to hold down ribbon) ah, ah, ribbons (May Arts-Michaels and Joanns), Glimmer Mist and bottles to make your own. I could go on and on, but these tools are essential to making more than a mediocre card. Precise cutting is the most important I think in assembling a card along with getting it even on the card. Nothing looks more tacky than a frame or something that is tilted even a 16th of an inch. There are oodles of flowers and embellishment that can take your pocket book to the cleaners, so to get creative is more challenging but less costly. Sometimes less is more. Hope this helps a little bit. Have an enjoyable time as this hobby is absolutely the greatest AND I may add, one of the most pricey hobbies. It isn't for the faint wallet.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 04-02-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

If you have a coupon for Michael's I would say get the Martha Stewart scoring board, that is one item that I wish I had bought along time ago, or should I say the scor pal, which is what I have, but they don't sell them at Michael's and from what I understand the Martha Stewart board is almost the same thing. I did try doing the bone folder way of folding for a couple of years and I always ended up with cards that were not folded properly and looked crappy. I would also suggest using scrap paper or coffee filters for when you use embossing powder, I had one of the trays and I found that it made more of a mess than what it was worth. You are going to find that there are so many different things that you think you need or want and SCS is the best place to come to find out what is good and what might not be so great. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the tips so far! I'm especially glad you two because I was beginning to convince myself that the scoring boards were probably for pros, and not something a newbie needs at all. AND I was convinced I needed that powder tray. Food for thought, so thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

First of all, I would say please don't feel that you ever need to apologize for asking questions. These boards are a great resource for all of us, and we all have questions!!

I'll put in a vote for the Martha Stewart scoring board. I've been a fan of the Scor-Pal for several years, but I recently bought the MS board after hearing rave reviews from another fan of the Scor-Pal. I haven't had it for very long, but I like it very much. The only thing I would change is the scoring tool -- I think it's a bit flimsy. That's not a major issue, though -- I simply use a bone folder that I've had for years that is sturdier.

I bought mine at Michael's when it was on sale and I had a coupon that worked with sale items, so it was a particularly good deal. Much as I like the Scor-Pal, I don't think that I can say it's worth the price difference.

Have fun with your new papercrafting adventures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Don't skip the scoreboard - I agree - I love making envelopes with mine.

My fave bigger tool is the Big Shot - so you can diecut but at first - so you can emboss. I just love embossing

Definitely the stamp a ma jig and ditch the funnel - use a paper plate.

Get a piercing tool and mat and some dimensional glaze like Crystal Effects or Glossy Accents.

If you have Prismacolor pencils, I'd get some Zest It (or odorless mineral spirits) and blending tools - that is such a fun way to color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I can remember when I started over 8 years ago and I thought that I needed everything in order to make the faboo card. Well a must have for me was the Scot Pal. Love it I absolutely LOVE it. I have the Scor Buddy which is a smaller version and easier to carry then the big on even though I have the carrying case. I really wish they had created this thing way back when

But the one thing that I could not live without was my blender pen (Dove because it is refillable) and my prisma water color pencils and chalks. The chalks made me an "arteest" or so I thought. Just me two cents. Most importantly enjoy what you have and create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I would definitely spring for the scoring board. Even if you decide you don't like making cards, you'll still be able to use the scoreboard to add embossed lines to your scrapbook pages. I even used mine at my office job when we had a whole mess of newsletters to fold into thirds to mail out - I have a Scor-Pal and it has markings at the fold lines for 1/3 folds on 11" paper

You're right about the heat tool for your embossing powder, but if you're careful and have something to hold it without burning your fingers, you can get the powder to melt by holding it over a burner on your electric stove. Some lightbulbs get hot enough to melt it as well, but not if you've made the switch to compact fluorescents

I agree with the posters who said to skip the powder tray. It actually works much better to use a coffee filter or a page from a glossy magazine (fold it in half first, then pour the powder over it, then it forms kind of a funnel to get the powder back into the jar). The powder tray, being made of plastic, gets staticky and the glitter and embossing powder want to cling to it. The coffee filter or glossy magazine page don't.

Also following a prior poster's advice, saving for a Big Shot or Cuttlebug and dies (especially Nestabilities shapes) will be a very worthwhile investment, since that's also something that will work well for your scrapbooking hobby. That's the nice thing about starting with card making - if you already scrapbook, most of the tools can work well for either; and you're not likely to pass out from the shock of what a money-suck the hobby can be
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkandcathairView Post
Sorry for posting all the newbie questions today! I'm trying to figure out the best tools to start with and it's all a little overwhelming, lol.

I'm reading The Rubber Stamper's Bible and I'm thinking I will need:

- cardstock- white or light colored
- bone folder and dry embossing tool (or Martha Stewart scoring board?)
- embossing tool
- Stamp-a-ma-jig
- powder tray (the one with the funnel for pouring powders and glitters back into jars)
- some sort of foam adhesive for that 3-D effect

I already have plenty of colored cardstock, paper trimmer, some stamps, some ink pads, good scissors, good ruler, craft knife, Glossy Accents, embossing powders (got some from a friend, but have no tool yet), Prismacolor pencil set. I am a scrapper, so I have a lot of this from my scrapping.

I'd especially love advice on whether I should get something like the MS scoring board, or start off with the bone folder/dry embossing tool first, to be sure I enjoy making cards first. I have a 40% off coupon for Michael's, so going straight to the scoring board is tempting, but I know I'll have another one before long.

Is there anything else you can think of that I might want, or is anything I listed unnecessary?

I'm gonna answer without looking at anyone's answers so that I don't forget to say what I want to say. First, I don't think you need a powder tray. Use some scrap paper (like your paper from your computer), fold it in half and open back up, and put it under whatever you're embossing so that after you dump the powder on it, you can shake the powder onto the paper, fold the paper, and funnel it back into the tube. I actually want to GET a tray because I think it will be neater, but it is not a "must have" in my book when you can improvise without it.

If you're asking about the bone folder and dry embossing tool vs. score board for folding cards because you're not sure if you're going to like card making, my suggestion is not to get either-- buy prescored (or prefolded) cards and use those instead.

Edit: Annnnnnnnnnnnd I see my points have already been covered. LOL! I will add that I have the MS board and really really like it. (I encouraged a friend to get it and she thinks it is the best invention EVER.) But I'm only suggesting you skip it if you're not sure cardmaking is for you. You can always pick it up later when you're ready for it.

Last edited by SkyNacho; 04-02-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Emily/Skynacho - seriously, step away from the powder tray It doesn't work nearly as well as your folded paper. I have one, I never use it except for beading projects, and that's just to keep the beads from rolling all over the table. I never use the spout. The plastic of the tray makes the glitter and embossing powder stick with static cling and you can't get it to let loose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Emily/Skynacho - seriously, step away from the powder tray It doesn't work nearly as well as your folded paper. I have one, I never use it except for beading projects, and that's just to keep the beads from rolling all over the table. I never use the spout. The plastic of the tray makes the glitter and embossing powder stick with static cling and you can't get it to let loose.

Thanks for the voice of experience! I will cross it off of my CTMH shopping list. (It just looks like such a smart tool. Hee hee.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I dashed over to M's and got the scoring board. Now I have to figure out how to use it! I didn't get anything else, because it seems silly to buy something today that might be on sale tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkandcathairView Post
I dashed over to M's and got the scoring board. Now I have to figure out how to use it! I didn't get anything else, because it seems silly to buy something today that might be on sale tomorrow!
Oh good for you! You're gonna have a lot of fun. I can't add to the items already posted - good advice.

By the way, I am crazy about your screen name.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not sure where my manners were with my last post; I forgot to say thank you for all the input. Especially big thanks to Lola, for being so kind about me asking newbie questions! Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Thanks, Bugga. It seemed appropriate for my life at the moment. hee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #15  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I admit, I didn't read through all the above replies, but for your own sanity, get a GREAT cutter. Don't mess around with the cheap ones, spend the extra money on a GREAT one! Believe me, my Tonic Guillotine cutter was the BEST stamping/scrapping investment I've made. (Oh, and I've bought over 30, yes 30, different cutters and have found the Tonic the BEST for the price!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #16  
Ted
Kookie Creator

I've created a few tutorials called "Crafting Boot Camp"

Happily Ever Crafter: Crafting Boot Camp

Keep in mind that the very first one, done way back in 2009 was one of my first attempts at a tutorial and that is why it seems kind of "hokey" (for lack of a better word!) ;)

Everybody has given you wonderful advice.

I know I saw on HSN recently that Martha Stewart had a "Crafting Drawer" with all of her so-called "must-haves". The thing is, with coupons and bargain-hunting, you can get all her "must-haves" for a lot less than what she's charging for the entire kit.

Welcome to this wonderfully crazy addiction! ;)

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I would suggest getting some good adhesive. It's one thing you really don't want to skimp on. Having a card fall apart after you've worked on it for an hour is not fun!

For basic gluing down of regular things (like untextured paper to untextured paper) I use my tape runner. I buy the EZ Runner by Scrapbook Adhesives. I get the 2 pack when they are on sale for 50% off. It's easy to use, it sticks well, and I can get them cheap.

Another great option is SCOTCH double-stick tape in a desk dispenser. It holds really, really well.

Mini glue dots are essential for small rhinestones that don't already have adhesive on the back.

For anything that is heavier, or for boxes, or for embossed paper, I use Sookwang double stick tape. You can tear it with your fingers or cut it with scissors. You lay down your strip, lightly rub, then peel off the back. That stuff HOLDS! You can either get it under the "BE CREATIVE" brand or under the "Scor Pal" brand. Although, it is usually cheaper under the BE CREATIVE brand. Do you want the link to some places you can buy it?

I'm glad you got the scoring board! That will make it a lot easier, and it is a lot cheaper than buying the cards pre-cut and pre-scored. I have the new scor-pal and it's like my right arm, I tell ya, I wouldn't know what to do without it! I was *positive* I did not need one, finally talked myself into buying one, and now regret I didn't buy it a lot sooner than I did!

You need some quality cardstock for your bases. For starting out, I'd suggest Walmart's Georgia Pacific 110# white cardstock. It's not "the best" but it is certainly good enough It will hold up a lot better than the cardstock you get at Michael's under their store brand. DCWV (Die Cuts With a View) cardstock is hard for bases because it is white-core, and the white ends up showing on the seam which looks sloppy...so you have to either distress ALL edges (sand) to make it uniform, or chalk the seam to cover up the white.

Foam adhesive is good to have if you want that 3-D effect. You can either get Pop Dots, which are white foam circles, or on a roll. I get the roll because I simply find it easier to work with for what I do, but Pop Dots will work as well. You can get it at Michael/Joann/AC Moore/Hobby Lobby with a coupon

As everyone else said, skip the tray. It's a pain in the neck!

Also, you would really like to buy some really quality scissors. Get one pair and use it for ribbon ONLY, and another pair for general cutting

As you go along, if you decide this hobby is indeed for you and you become addicted (*GRIN*), I would highly suggest a Big Shot or Big Kick (same thing, cosmetic differences) and some dies like Spellbinders Nestabilities. These awesome tools can also be used for Scrapbooking to cut photos in fun shapes and cut mats! So, if you end up not liking card-making, will work great for your Scrapbooking!

Last but not least, I have been on this forum for years and still ask questions constantly. No matter how much knowledge I gain, inevitably someone will have much much more knowledge about something or another than I do! Ask away. This community only works as well as it does if we ask each other to share whatever knowledge they have. I know many here - and I, myself - would be more than willing to try and help you in this new hobby in any way, shape, or form we can.

Happy Card-Making - and be sure to come share with us what you create. Do not worry that it might not, in your mind, be up to the "level" you see of others here. We want to share with you in your victory of making cards and having it look the best you can make it!!

Last edited by cardsbynikki; 04-02-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been stamping for a year. I found that there were things I didn't expect to like that I loved and others that I was sure I'd need that I didn't. On your list...

cardstock- white or light colored My favorite for these is PTI. I am an SU hobby Demo, but I don't like their white and their vanilla-- too flimsy.
- bone folder and dry embossing tool (or Martha Stewart scoring board?) Didn't think I'd buy a scoreboard (first one I heard of was Score Pal) because of the uneven lines. When I saw that the MS one were equidistant, I chose to get it since it was 50% off. Use it on every card... sometimes several times. I have a bone folder and use it sometimes, but not often. I use the one that came with the scoreboard more often.
- embossing tool if you mean heat gun, then yes, if you're going to do heat embossing, you need it. I don't do any other embossing other than with the scoreboard, so I don't have a stylus or anything like that.
- Stamp-a-ma-jig thought it was a ridiculous waste of money for a piece of plastic. Don't hesitate-- buy it. I was so wrong. Worth every penny.
- powder tray (the one with the funnel for pouring powders and glitters back into jars) Couldn't pay me to buy one. Takes up space and scrap paper does the same job free. I keep large drawing pad papers on my table to protect it. When using glitter or embossing powder, I keep a plastic container under the stuff and dump it back into the jar with that if I need it. Otherwise, I use the paper. Often, I use "disposable storage containers" to keep my embossing powder etc in permanently. MUCH easier.
- some sort of foam adhesive for that 3-D effect I've used several and I'm dead set on SU DImensionals for this. LOVE them.

I wrote a blog post about my experiences in learning what I do and don't use/like for stamping. I need to add to it, but this was written about 2 months after I started stamping at home.

Lessons I’ve Learned As a New Stamper… � Eclectvity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

You inspired me to write the follow-up to my first post, so I'm posting the link here as well in case you want to see what else I learned over the first year of this.

After a Year of Stamping… � Eclectvity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Very Important News Flash!! If you do nothing else, listen to everything that Chautona says, and Read Her Blog!!! Holy Mackaroly -- I just had very little sleep (niece in ER, internal bleeding, emergency surgery, now in ICU), but I read the two blog posts she linked here (in their entirety) and then jumped over to her actual blog. Absolutely fabulous -- oh, and if by any chance you sew (or even if you don't -- that would be me), be sure not to miss the blog entries about her fabric de-stash. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

You got me thinking....What do I use when I am making my cards?

Well, I have been buying the Walmart Georgia Pacific White Cardstock for a LONG time and I still love it as my cardbase. I do use Stampin Up cardstock for bases too. A good paper trimmer and scissors. Pattern paper is a must have in my book, Stamps, Black, Brown and Navy ink(mementos) I have almost all the SU colors from 5yrs ago but I don't hardly use them anymore. I love to stamp in black and color it in(Prismacolor watercolor pencils). Ribbon of all shapes and sizes(mostly Michaels), and a VERY good ADHESIVE!! I love my pink ATG from Michaels and I bought my refills from the tape depot on ebay and havent' looked back I do have Scotch liquid glue, glue dots and dimensional dots.
I do agree with the others about get a diecut machine, I personally have the cuttlebug and LOVE to emboss with it!!

There is my 2cents. Have a blast and definately there is not a tool on here that I couldn't make cards without....except maybe the paper trimmer and adhesive. Have fun and be creative
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

For s beginners I feel that a :
1: a good scoring board
2: cuttlebug or bigshot (I love mt 4Yr cuttlebug very much!!)
3: good quality cardstock like PTI or Gina K
4: a couple pairs of very good sizzors (1 for paper, 1 for ribbon and fabric)

Those are at the top of my list for newbies.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I were to start over the cuttlebug and accessories would be first on my list. Heat emboss gun would be second. I use those two a lot.

I use folded paper instead of the funnel tray. Actually I have a score pal and seldom use it.

have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Love my pink ATG gun - wish I had gotten it sooner! (It is actually on sale today only at Micheal's for about 50% off).

I also agree with most of what everyone else has posted, and wish I had not bought some of the things I had over the year ... oh well, my daughter has enjoyed that huge pack of tiny punches from Costco - LOL!

Have fun experimenting and enjoy your card making!

Last edited by Jana Z; 04-03-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: forgot store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Very Important News Flash!! If you do nothing else, listen to everything that Chautona says, and Read Her Blog!!! Holy Mackaroly -- I just had very little sleep (niece in ER, internal bleeding, emergency surgery, now in ICU), but I read the two blog posts she linked here (in their entirety) and then jumped over to her actual blog. Absolutely fabulous -- oh, and if by any chance you sew (or even if you don't -- that would be me), be sure not to miss the blog entries about her fabric de-stash. Amazing.
Thank you, Lola! Glad someone enjoyed it. I tend to run at the mouth...er... fingers once I get going. hee hee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I reread all the postings here to see what others had to say about what supplies were important at least in the beginning of this hobby. WE ARE OF ONE MIND! Woohoo! Isn't it nice to know that others think like you? That is what Splitcoast Stampers is all about. What a wonderful place to ask questions and learn about this hobby inside and out. I must say I agree with all the suggestions made from adhesives, to tapes, to glue dots, to scoring boards...to the one from Markie's Mom about a cutter. I have a couple 3 but end up with the Tonic everytime. They even have a small one that fits on the table so nicely not taking up room like the one I use to cut 12x12 cardstock. One thing nice about a leverage cutter is that it sharpens itself as it cuts. The rolling cutters dull the blade as paper is really hard on them and you have to replace the blades fairly often if you want a good clean cut. But all in all, I always come here first to ask before I buy. All the ladies I have encountered here are marvelous and so willing to help. Another thing, go to other blogs and sites to get fresh ideas. Even some books I got (at Costco) inexpensively are very good at stretching your creative abilities. Happy Cardmaking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with all the advice given so far. I will add that if you don't already have a die cutting/embossing machine from your scrapbooking, I suggest looking at the Grand Calibur. I believe it retails for $129.00, and in my area it is carried at Michael's so with a 40% off coupon it's not a bad deal.

The Grand Calibur will take a full 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, and Spellbinders has come out with Nestabilities dies made larger just for that machine. All the smaller ones will work as well. The price really isn't bad, it gives you lots of options and in the larger size it is something that would transition well to scrapbooking if you decide making cards is not for you.

ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

You all are a wealth of knowledge! I'm going to check out the links and blogs provided, and look up a bunch of different products so I can start making a new list. Thank you so much and feel free to keep the posts coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Please don't get an embossing powder tray. Unless you get mine at my next garage sale for a quarter. I store all mine in disposable rubbermaid style containers (sandwich size from the $1 store) and it's perfect. I don't waste, don't mix and don't have a mess at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

The square Snapware containers work great for embossing powders, glitters etc. You can snap them all together, leave a plastic spoon in each....and coat your cards over the container, eliminating the need for a separate tray and waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I love the idea of the small containers for embossing powders, but I have such a small space to work with that it isn't feasible. I'll have to go the paper funnel route instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Another place that has helped me a lot and isn't mentioned here is the buy/sell section Splitcoaster's ha.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
If you look there you can find some items you may need or want. I have been lucky to find a lot of things I wanted when I started and still do. I'm starting to get a good selection with all of their help.
Another good idea is ScrapAce. I signed up for their daily deals (another link someone was nice enough to post). They offer daily deals sometimes up to 75% off and the shipping is really reasonable.
ScrapAce your home for paperCrafting Deals
I know this dosen't offer anything for the must have's but I just wanted to give you an idea of ways to help with the cost as I know it can go up fast and sometimes they have what you really need a lot less.
Another place to look is in the forums here, people really but good info in on tools and such. Plus you can find other links that will help you to find materials/sites with good prices. I'm just addicted to Splitcoaster's as it has helped me learn a lot in the last year.
I also am a scrapper first. I was worried that I could not cross reference things to stamping. What a fool I was! I find that I use a lot of my paper, punches, tape runner, cutting tools, etc daily. I have even found that I am adding stamping to my albums with the craft ink and ideas I have found here.
I'm sorry for being so long in the tooth, I hope something I've said helps you though.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Definitely don't get the trays! I have a big and small one...anyone want them? I love my coffee filters for all of the things, beads, EP, glitter.
Unless you really want to emboss, you don't need the gun right away but that's what hooked me on stamping, now I rarely emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I really love my cuttlebug,embossing stylus, and my paper punches. I also love my quilling tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, a question for all of you...does anyone know of a video that will show a true beginner how to make a card, from start to finish? Needs to be basic, could show how to attach ribbon. My cousin, who lives 5 hours away, would really like to learn, correctly, how to make cards and I thought maybe a video or two would be more helpful than trying to explain in written word, unless it is a picture tutorial. TIA!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

well, i would definitely recommend versafine ink if you are going to be working with clear stamps and/or detailed images. it's excellent - you can watercolour with it, use copics with it if you heat set it and it cleans off your stamps much easier than staz-on!

i'd def recommend a good scoring board. one of my best investments. i personally have the crafter's companion ultimate board but like the look of the martha stewart one.

a heat gun is also a good investment - you can heat emboss, dry inks, release double sided tape if you've put something down squiffy!!

something i would recommend is don't buy cheap cos you'll end up replacing it. i've got a full set of whisper inks and i never use them cos they aren't at all juicy and i've just invested in some lovely adirondack inks.

the best tip i can give you tho is to ask questions. these forums are full of wonderfully helpful people and if you have a question, ask it and someone will answer it. i've learnt loads from all my forum friends over the years. remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid person who didn't ask it!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first started stamping, I got 2 sets of stamps & one individual stamp, a brown inkpad, a "rainbow" inkpad (blue/green/purple), clear embossing powder and stamping markers.

I used to emboss things over the stove. An embossing heatgun is handier, but I have actually had more problems with scorching than I did using the stove.

I use cards that come in a pack with envelopes. Try to get good envelopes (sometimes the glue is cheap & won't stick). I assume "Stamp-a-ma-jig" is a stamp positioner?

Other things I really like to use are blank white stickers (even large address labels), as you can make your own stickers with stamps, blue painter's tape (removes without damaging most paper) and a woodburning tool (great for indexing stamps you've wood-mounted yourself).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Ok, a question for all of you...does anyone know of a video that will show a true beginner how to make a card, from start to finish? Needs to be basic, could show how to attach ribbon. My cousin, who lives 5 hours away, would really like to learn, correctly, how to make cards and I thought maybe a video or two would be more helpful than trying to explain in written word, unless it is a picture tutorial. TIA!!
A lot of the videos at Stamp TV (especially some of the earlier ones) show all the steps from start to finish - the only thing Gina doesn't show is cutting the cardstock!

Here's an example of one: Embellished Flowers Card but if you go to the Technique Archives down the right-hand side of the page, she has lots of them. She shows the stamping images, coloring images, lining up layers, using the Scor-Pal and Cuttlebug and Nestabilities and embossing folders. It's an awesome resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
A lot of the videos at Stamp TV (especially some of the earlier ones) show all the steps from start to finish - the only thing Gina doesn't show is cutting the cardstock!

Here's an example of one: Embellished Flowers Card but if you go to the Technique Archives down the right-hand side of the page, she has lots of them. She shows the stamping images, coloring images, lining up layers, using the Scor-Pal and Cuttlebug and Nestabilities and embossing folders. It's an awesome resource.
I agree. GinaK is the perfect person to watch make a card. I have watched every single video and I have learned so much from her. I wish she had her own show on TLC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

So many amazing resources on this thread. I've really enjoyed exploring them and I know I will make better purchasing decisions thanks to you all. I have a feeling I'll end up on that Stamp TV site all night!

I actually have been using Versafine for my scrapbook stamping, so I'm glad to see it recommended. I use the black, the sepia, and a navy one. I also have a few distress inks, maybe 5 or 6. I have a black Staz-On pad, but it's completely dried out. Oh, and a Versamark pad and a Versamark pen.

I did finally go ahead and buy an embossing gun, which shipped today. It seems like a lot of folks move on from embossing, but I have to admit that I'm dying to play around with it. I went ahead and sprung for a Milwaukee gun, since it was mentioned countless times on all the old threads I read about embossing tools.

I'm also planning a Papertrey order. I'm going to get some cardstock, the cardstock sampler, a background set, and the Mixed Messages. Maybe another stamp set just for fun. I'm still deciding. Thankfully they save your shopping cart over there!
Reply With Quote Likes