Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nestabilities question

Hello enablers! I am interested in Nestabilities. I do not have a die cut machine, but do have a Cricut. Which die cut machine do you feel would be the best purchase to use with the Nestabilities (by ease and also price). THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Default Good Questions...& MORE ???

In addition to a good source to purchase Nestabilities...

Those who have them and use them with making cards....

What sizes are used most...large or small?

What shapes are used the most....
I am thinking of purchasing the LARGE circles and rectangles.

Opinions based on experience please...Help!! I can't purchase all of them...drat!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I use the cuttlebug with my Nesties. I recommend purchasing them from Ellen Hutson's store. In my opinion, her prices are very comparable to other online places and her service and fast shipping is amazing! She also doesn't have a "waitlist" if she is out of the product... if you don't see it listed, she's out of it. Some websites allow you to order and THEN you find out they're out!

As for what sizes and shapes to order... that's really up to you. I personally have them all... circles, ovals, squares, rectangles, hearts, paisleys, & tags/labels. I love them all! The sizing is really hard to explain. The large and small are really the same size... it's the nesting that changes. For example, if you ordered both the large and small circles, the largest circle in the small set would fit inside the largest circle in the large set with a 1/8 inch border. If you only bought a set of large circles, you would have a 1/4 inch border. Nichole Heady has a really good description with pictures HERE. She also explains the compatability with other machines well HERE. Personally, I would save up money until you can afford to get both the small and large of a shape... that way you have more options for nesting the shapes. Did I enable you enough??? ;)

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Default Spellbinder or Wizard Nestabilities??

I did a Goggle search and came up with both...names/brands???

So, now..what? Which Ones?

What is the difference?

This is getting confusing..HELP again, please..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've ordered my first set (ovals) from CutAtHome.com. With her 40% off coupon - I couldn't find a better deal. I plan to use my cuttlebug with these dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default CutHome Source??

What was the S&H?

I visited the site and it doesn't state what size the circle are and the rectangles look like the elongated ones.

What size did you get?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Spellbinders Nestabilitities are a universal die, so they can be used in any machine. Spellbinders' website has compatibility sandwiches for all machines, so you may want to take a look! HTH - and have fun with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

So, if I don't already own a die cut machine, does anyone prefer one over another?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Although the Spellbinder's Nestabilities are universal and can be used in a number of different machines, it just makes sense to purchase the machine they were designed for - the Wizard. For that reason alone, you are going to get the best results with the Wizard without having to purchase extra pieces for the machine or try and work out a sandwich that may or may not give you the results you are looking for. Plus Spellbinders has a catalog full of some of the greatest dies you've ever seen and they all emboss.

As far as shapes to get, that's a personal choice. What is your style? If you are more traditional, I would get the ovals or circles. If your style is a bit less traditional, try the squares or rectangles. I've got them all and there is not any one that I would say is better than the next. I personally use the rectangles and squares more than the others, because my style is far from traditional. Plus, I don't use the scallops much. A little of that goes a long way for me. When considering the large or small, just remember that the size difference is minimal unless you are talking about the new large rectangles.

If I was just getting started, I would purchase them with a coupon from Cut at Home. It's hard to beat their price. It's a great way to build your collection without breaking the bank.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I use the Cut at Home % 40 of coupon they send out each month (1 per month), yes you must be patient, but it gets you all 4 sizes in one shape for $57 (appr). I tried 1 straight rectangle and 1 scalloped rectangle first, and wish I had all four sizes. It does take time to get them....long ship from China, but I must watch $ Papertrey has no S&H after $50.00 and have the Nesties

Also, I just have the Cuttle Bug. I read a GREAT TIP! Quilters will know what I'm talking about... you know those self healing cutting mats? If you purchase 2 small size mats they are the same thickness as the "B" plate for the Cuttle Bug. There is no scarring from the die cuts and they don't break. JoAnn's often has them at %50 off so they are $3 a piece, and I've used them lots, they work GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really have been happy with the Big Kick/Big Shot. It cuts all the old Sizzix dies, all the new ones, and most of the competitors' dies. It also works great with most of the embossing plates/folders/dies out there.

You can get it with a coupon at Mike's or AC Moore or you can check out their website because they run some really great deals.

Just make sure you get a multipurpose platform with it, though I'm fairly certain the machine comes with it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I have Sizzix and Cuttlebug. I don't like the Sizzix because it doesn't cut even w/o shimming and the handle is too hard to push down. I can use all the dies I have for the Sizzix with the Cuttlebug by adjusting the plates. I have all the standard Nestibilities and use them all the time. I paid $300 for them which saved me $80 if I would have purchased them separately, and later purchased the hearts. The Cuttlebug is easy to use and put away, not too heavy, and versatile.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tputerbaughView Post
Also, I just have the Cuttle Bug. I read a GREAT TIP! Quilters will know what I'm talking about... you know those self healing cutting mats? If you purchase 2 small size mats they are the same thickness as the "B" plate for the Cuttle Bug. There is no scarring from the die cuts and they don't break. JoAnn's often has them at %50 off so they are $3 a piece, and I've used them lots, they work GREAT!
What a great idea...can you pls share what brand you got...that would save the trial and error on the thickness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I just took the plunge! I bought the new Wizard machine coming out in a couple weeks plus the full circle set from Cut at Home! I signed up for the coupon and got a 40% code for the dies! I will have to wait a couple weeks because the new machine doesn't come out until June 20th AND the dies are on backorder. I am *so* not good at waiting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

That is what I would do if I had to do it all over again.

I wanted the first wizard came out but I was either un-employed or under-employed at the time. I decided on the Big Shot when it was offered at Costco so cheap.

I'm anxious to hear about the new Wizard!

Size doesn't matter to me (in the stamp room).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Michelle, even though you have to wait for your Wizard and Nestabilities, I know you won't be sorry! It's great fun just to play with and discover all of the things it can do.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

For those of you that are using Nestabilities in die cut machines other than the Wizard this may help.

http://www.youtube.com/v/m51gPhNmywY

It's done by Stacey Caron, aka Wizard Girl. If anyone knows how to use these dies, it is Stacey!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the link to the video. I was so simple. I have a Cuttlebug and the Revolution and my first Nesties have shipped and are on their way. Whoo hoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyCView Post
For those of you that are using Nestabilities in die cut machines other than the Wizard this may help.

http://www.youtube.com/v/m51gPhNmywY

It's done by Stacey Caron, aka Wizard Girl. If anyone knows how to use these dies, it is Stacey!

Cathy
Thanks so much for this...it was really helpful! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

My understanding is that the wizard may be easier to use with the nestabilities in that cuttlebug has a "recipe" you have to follow with the different adapters. If you are looking for nestabilities, 7 kids has them for $19.99 and free shipping on orders over $75. I think that may be the best price without a coupon, but I'm not 100% sure. www.7kidscollegefund.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Michele,
If the Nestabilities are your very first dies, I would recommend getting Spellbinders' Wizard machine for them, since their machine is what was designed to work best with the Nestabilities. Having used a Cuttlebug at first and now the Wizard, I can tell a HUGE difference in the embossing of my die cuts. This is due to the all metal construction and 3,000 lbs of pressure the Wizard exerts.

Cuttlebugs are not all metal construction and therefore, the pressure they exert can vary from machine to machine. In fact, I've heard of some people who can't get the usual sandwiches to work with their Spellbinders dies in the Cuttlebug.

Another factor is the plates for the Cuttlebug. Since they are acrylic, I broke more of them than I care to admit and that alone will run up the operating cost of a Cuttlebug.

The Wizard's mats are made of a self-healing material that is virtually unbreakable . . . I haven't broken one yet!

I hope that helps answer your die cutting machine question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, I just have the Cuttle Bug. I read a GREAT TIP! Quilters will know what I'm talking about... you know those self healing cutting mats? If you purchase 2 small size mats they are the same thickness as the "B" plate for the Cuttle Bug. There is no scarring from the die cuts and they don't break. JoAnn's often has them at %50 off so they are $3 a piece, and I've used them lots, they work GREAT![/QUOTE]

Can you please explain this a little more? Are you talking about the small mats that are 1/8 inch or less thick? Is there a specific brand name you use? I am familiar with the larger Olfa and Dritz mats, but I have also seen smaller mats that are made to be used right next to your sewing machine. Please explain what brand you purchased and any other information that might be helpful. Also, do you use them in place of your B mat or in addition to your B mat? Thanks a bunch! This sounds like a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Default die cut machine comparison

I have four different machines.
1. the current Wizard
2. Tag-A-Long
3. Cuttlebug
4. Quickutz hand tool for cutting.

Each serves a different purpose, but if I had to only have one it would be the Cuttlebug hands down.
The Wizard that I own will NOT cut other brands of dies. Part of the problem is that their cutting mats are not the same depth all the way through and the other part is that they just don't exert even pressure. So if you have limited funds, do NOT get the Wizard. New or not. You will be great with their product but not anyone elses.

The Tag-A-Long is great for the Sizzlets and other companies small dies. I really really like it.

The Quickutz hand tool is so hand for their little dies, but only for their dies.

The Cuttlebug is great. I have used it on every brand of die and only had to shim a very few. They have taken the good points of all the other machines and combined it in theirs. My vote is for the Cuttlebug, hands down.

www.shellysblog-ne.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been hearing a lot about the Nesties on this site and at first wasn't sure what they were. Thanks for sharing.

I have a Quickutz Revolution, will the nesties work with that machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseluvsericView Post
I've been hearing a lot about the Nesties on this site and at first wasn't sure what they were. Thanks for sharing.

I have a Quickutz Revolution, will the nesties work with that machine?
Here are a few videos that will show you how to use Spellbinders Nestabilities in various machines and other manufacturers' dies in the Wizard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54yzQ0h9U08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQJpHgDWlB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51gPhNmywY

We can all agree to disagree on which machine is best, that's just personal preference and product knowledge. It just seems strange that Spellbinders is the only company that has gone to the trouble of giving us the instructions to using these popular dies in other machines and other manufacturers' die in their machine. What other company do you know that will give you instructions on how to use the competition's products and not criticize them?

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing

Please check out my little gallery and blog!
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

By the way, I have a Wizard and loved it. The day I bought it a friend and I tested it out with dies from other manufacturers. It works great! Check out the link below. It shows other dies being used in the Wizard.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=54yzQ0h9U08

Also, I just got my weekly newsletter from creativexpress.com. That is the Provocraft site. They have the Cuttlebugs on sale again for $35. I know that some of you out there have been wanting that machine and it's a great price.

As for me, I'll stick with the Wizard. There are so many great dies, besides Nestabilites (check out www.spellbinders.us), and there is so much you can do with the machine. This includes rolling and cutting polymer clay with your dies! Embossing with your dies. Stenciling with your dies. The possibilites are endless!

Whatever machine you own or buy...happy die cutting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I just purchased 3 sets of Nestabilities from Stamping Cottage (scalloped circle, square and oval, small size). There are 5-6 dies in each package for $21.29 each. Are there larger sets where you get more in the set? I was under the impression these dies were really expensive.

I only got the small ones of each set. Are the large size dies big enough that they would nearly cover an entire A2 card front?

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperSharonView Post
Michele,
If the Nestabilities are your very first dies, I would recommend getting Spellbinders' Wizard machine for them, since their machine is what was designed to work best with the Nestabilities. Having used a Cuttlebug at first and now the Wizard, I can tell a HUGE difference in the embossing of my die cuts. This is due to the all metal construction and 3,000 lbs of pressure the Wizard exerts.

Cuttlebugs are not all metal construction and therefore, the pressure they exert can vary from machine to machine. In fact, I've heard of some people who can't get the usual sandwiches to work with their Spellbinders dies in the Cuttlebug.

Another factor is the plates for the Cuttlebug. Since they are acrylic, I broke more of them than I care to admit and that alone will run up the operating cost of a Cuttlebug.

The Wizard's mats are made of a self-healing material that is virtually unbreakable . . . I haven't broken one yet!

I hope that helps answer your die cutting machine question!
I agree! I used to use my cuttlebug just for cutting until I needed something embossed. The Wizard works best wtih the Spellbinders dies. The difference is amazing! My Cuttlebug broke a month ago. Sooo glad I have my Wizard!

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #30  
Say Cheese!!

subscribing to the thread.... great info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I just purchased Nestabilities and received them yesterday. After trying them for several hours, I feel the best machine for me is to use my BIGkick. It's a much sturdier machine than the Cuttlebug and I feel it does exert more pressure for cutting and embossing.

I think possibly the reason so many people are breaking their cutting pads in the Cuttlebug is they are putting too many layers through the machine.

I use the same process using the Nestabilities in my BIGkick as I do other brass dies for embossing. For cutting I just change from the flexible rubber Sizzix pad to the regular acrylic cutting pad for die cutting as usual.

I've had complete success with the methods I've used.

I do agree with StamperSharon saying that it's ideally best to really use the machine the dies/embossing items were originally designed for.

But in defense of everyone else, if you're willing to take the chance, it's worth a try to use other machines.

These are just my opinions, other people may/will differ.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

great info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a QK revolution and although I have seen the YouTUbe videos I still can�t find out if I can use the Large Nestabilities dies?
Quote:

Capabilities
The QuicKutz Revolution� is capable of cutting Spellbinders Style Dies�.
It is not capable of embossing Spellbinders Style Dies�.
Is the Large Nestabilities dies a Style die? Anyone know or have tried it?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tputerbaughView Post
I use the Cut at Home % 40 of coupon they send out each month (1 per month), yes you must be patient, but it gets you all 4 sizes in one shape for $57 (appr). I tried 1 straight rectangle and 1 scalloped rectangle first, and wish I had all four sizes. It does take time to get them....long ship from China, but I must watch $ Papertrey has no S&H after $50.00 and have the Nesties

I have been trying this and have a couple of questions. Do you use two quilters mats together to replace one B mat, or do you use each of the quilters mats to replace each of the B plates. I would really appreciate if you could explain this in detail. I like the idea of being able to cut out the dies without cutting into the B plate. Thanks for your help!

Has anyone else tried this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I have been trying this and have a couple of questions. Do you use two quilters mats together to replace one B mat, or do you use each of the quilters mats to replace each of the B plates. I would really appreciate if you could explain this in detail. I like the idea of being able to cut out the dies without cutting into the B plate. Thanks for your help!

Has anyone else tried this?
I'd like more info on this too - sounds like a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes