Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice about Copic markers

I've been eyeing the Copic markers for a very long time. And, since my birthday is just around the corner, I decided I'm finally going to get a set! Can anyone give me advice about which kind to get and the best (and cheapest) place to get them? I'll have to buy them online, as I don't have any place locally that sells them. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

OOOH...I'll be watching this thread! Thank you for starting it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Ellen Hutson has an on line store and stocks them. Check her out & tell her I sent you.

oops....Sorry,the site will not let me post a link since I'm a newbie.
Try putting her name in your search engine or email me privately & I'll send it to you.

Cheryl Hinton
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ellen Hutson's blog is www.ellenhutson.typepad.com. I'm waiting for the full set of 48 that she offers. Ellen has put many hours of research into which colors she decided to carry, which inks work the best, etc. She came up with as close a match to SU colors as she could. He blog is filled with other fabulous information which is why I chose to support her store. I spoke with her on the phone. She is a delightful person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

It depends ~~ do you want the Sketch, or the Ciao?? Do you want the colors that match SU colors??

BTW, what a gorgeous pic of you in your avatar!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

There is a difference between the ciao and the sketch... The sketch can be used in an airbrush system... I am so saving my money for more of the sketch and the airbrush system Ellen sells the airbrush systems as well as the sketch markers. And her sets have some (not all) matching colors for SU colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been buying the sketch markers a few at a time... and in the colors I find I need... I have found that when I buy the whole set of something I always end up with surplus colors that never get used! and at $5 a marker (aprox)... well it's money I can spend on stamps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadfreak22View Post
I've been eyeing the Copic markers for a very long time. And, since my birthday is just around the corner, I decided I'm finally going to get a set! Can anyone give me advice about which kind to get and the best (and cheapest) place to get them? I'll have to buy them online, as I don't have any place locally that sells them. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
I have used fine bullet/chisel tip, and sketch (brush)/chisel tip. I am finding I really like the Copic Sketch because of the brush tip! With Copics, the cool thing is that you can later invest in other tips and swap 'em out as they are interchangeable on these pens! Anyway, I find the brush tip affords me more control than I initially thought they would!

I will flat out say right up front that I'm biased about which shopping source I would recommend. ;) Let me preface this by saying I'm as budget-conscious as anybody else. However, I consider education/thorough information/ways to use it, etc. about a product every bit as valuable as the product itself.

As mentioned by others, Ellen generously shares her research and findings to great length on her blog; I would recommend Ellen Hutson, LLC., even if she weren't a friend, because the vendor that offers that kind of customer servicec and support, which is, IMHO, well above and beyond what many others do, is the best value in town for my spending dollars! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I ordered some from eclectic paperie, they had the lowest price when I looked. I don't have a local source for them so I just ordered a few pinks, purples, blues, greens, browns, etc. I also got a gray and the colorless blender.

I did a search and found a post that explained how the color codes work. Like BG02 is going to work with BG08, the 2 indicates that it's a lighter shade and the 8 indicates it's a darker shade. I'm sure that's not very clear but I didn't sleep much last night LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I have used fine bullet/chisel tip, and sketch (brush)/chisel tip. I am finding I really like the Copic Sketch because of the brush tip! With Copics, the cool thing is that you can later invest in other tips and swap 'em out as they are interchangeable on these pens! Anyway, I find the brush tip affords me more control than I initially thought they would!

I will flat out say right up front that I'm biased about which shopping source I would recommend. ;) Let me preface this by saying I'm as budget-conscious as anybody else. However, I consider education/thorough information/ways to use it, etc. about a product every bit as valuable as the product itself.

As mentioned by others, Ellen generously shares her research and findings to great length on her blog; I would recommend Ellen Hutson, LLC., even if she weren't a friend, because the vendor that offers that kind of customer servicec and support, which is, IMHO, well above and beyond what many others do, is the best value in town for my spending dollars! :grin:
The Ciaos have the same brush tip as the Sketch. I have some of each and except for the shape they work the same.

The Ciaos will not work with the airbrush system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

www.carpediemstore.com is where I get my Trias, great prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
The Ciaos have the same brush tip as the Sketch. I have some of each and except for the shape they work the same.

The Ciaos will not work with the airbrush system.
Right.

Original Copic = bullet/chisel tip
Ciaos = brush/? tip
Sketch = brush/chisel tip + work with airbrush

Altho not all come in every Copic color, all are refillable, and you can purchase blank nibs/tips and interchange them on all of them. Right? I know there was some confusion on whether or not you could with Ciaos, and I believe I heard that yes, you can.

Gotta love options! ;)

Dang, so much to choose from! Of course, I am easily confused. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Right.

Original Copic = bullet/chisel tip
Ciaos = brush/? tip
Sketch = brush/chisel tip + work with airbrush

Altho not all come in every Copic color, all are refillable, and you can purchase blank nibs/tips and interchange them on all of them. Right? I know there was some confusion on whether or not you could with Ciaos, and I believe I heard that yes, you can.

Gotta love options! ;)

Dang, so much to choose from! Of course, I am easily confused. :rolleyes:
Ciaos have the brush/chisel tip combo. They are refillable and you can get replacement tips. Ciaos come in 144 colors (the ink refills are the same as the sketch or original)

The confusion was that Copic doesn't have the tips for the Ciaos listed on their site. I was told they would add them the next time they updated the site, but they are available.

I've seen the Ciao replacement tips with my own eyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Ciaos have the brush/chisel tip combo. They are refillable and you can get replacement tips. Ciaos come in 144 colors (the ink refills are the same as the sketch or original)

The confusion was that Copic doesn't have the tips for the Ciaos listed on their site. I was told they would add them the next time they updated the site, but they are available.

I've seen the Ciao replacement tips with my own eyes

Thanks, Jeanne.

My head is so full of snot right now, I can't keep anything straight . . . :rolleyes:

wretched summer cold bug or sumpin' . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, thanks for the great information, everybody. I agree with you, Julie ~ you can't put a price tag on good customer service. I've been known to drive far out of my way to go to stores who value my business. I checked out EllenH's blog and she even has a list of which colors match the SU colors. Now I just need to figure out if I'm better off buying them individually or in the sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommyView Post
It depends ~~ do you want the Sketch, or the Ciao?? Do you want the colors that match SU colors??

BTW, what a gorgeous pic of you in your avatar!!
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment, as I am having a very bad hair day. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Thanks, Jeanne.

My head is so full of snot right now, I can't keep anything straight . . . :rolleyes:

wretched summer cold bug or sumpin' . . .
TMI Julie.......lol

Sorry you're not feeling well :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
I ordered some from eclectic paperie, they had the lowest price when I looked. I don't have a local source for them so I just ordered a few pinks, purples, blues, greens, browns, etc. I also got a gray and the colorless blender.

I did a search and found a post that explained how the color codes work. Like BG02 is going to work with BG08, the 2 indicates that it's a lighter shade and the 8 indicates it's a darker shade. I'm sure that's not very clear but I didn't sleep much last night LOL

After much consideration, this is exactly what I did (and where I did it at ;) ) Joy and Daisy had the VERY best price at $2.99/each for the Ciaos and at the time I ordered, there was an addition 5% discount. They also have great communication and customer support like Ellen. I wanted to be able to pick and choose because I knew if I just bought a prepackaged set there would probably be colors I might never use. So I started with 30 including the gray and colorless blender and will go from there. First I want to see if I can do them justice.

It's official...I'm a stamping addict (second only to my "being a grandma" addiction)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchicagoView Post
Ellen Hutson's blog is www.ellenhutson.typepad.com. I'm waiting for the full set of 48 that she offers. Ellen has put many hours of research into which colors she decided to carry, which inks work the best, etc. She came up with as close a match to SU colors as she could. He blog is filled with other fabulous information which is why I chose to support her store. I spoke with her on the phone. She is a delightful person.
Hi Katherine!

Adding my 2 cents here. I ordered my Copics from Ellen as well, both sets of 24 colors, so I'll have 48 plus the blender pens. Ellen is so forthcoming with information and provides such excellent customer service ... that's why I choose to shop with her. I did price comparisons, did a lot of post reading and blog reading, and while I found one cheaper source, I was not impressed at all with how long it took the company to email me back.

I can't wait to get my hands on them to start playing!

Visit my blog ScrapBuzz, a one-stop info source for scrapbookers, digi-scrapbookers, and cardmakers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I ordered a few Ciaos from EP just the other day. No discount ~ unless I missed it ~~ but I knew I wanted the Ciaos & I knew I'd be better off buying them individually. EP was one of the few places that sell the Ciaos that way. I can find the Sketch ~~ but I can't afford those, lol!! I only bought about 10 or 12. And I know I'll love them because I've used them at my LSS ~~ even took a class so I *should* know how to use them, lol!!

I would go with either EP or Ellen ~~ both give superb customer service!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Great info everyone! I have a set of Ciaos. How are you storing yours? Is there any need to store them horizontally? The case they come in is designed to be vertical storage.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
Great info everyone! I have a set of Ciaos. How are you storing yours? Is there any need to store them horizontally? The case they come in is designed to be vertical storage.

I have a Copic wallet, and some plastic pen/pencil bags. But, I want sumpin' CUTE! *pout*

I missed out on the way cool galvanized 6 pak-caddy at Wal Mart. I'm now kicking myself, as I can't find it anywhere other than in white and for TWICE the price of the one I spied at Wal Mart early summer. *pout*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #23  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a bunch of storage pieces at http://www.carpediemstore.com/

One of them is wire--very alterable! I see beads, and crystals, and tassels, oh my!

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw that Eclectic Paperie has a bunch of COPIC containers on their website, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I just got a coupon from carpediem store. You email customer service and they email the promo. Looks like a good one:
Copic Sketch are $3.95 ea. (list : $5.95) .
Copic Originals (Square) are $3.95 ea. (list: $5.95)
Copic Refills are $4.87 ea. (list: $6.95)

plus.................

also: while supplies last !!!!!

Free empty 24 color wallet case with 24 sketch marker purchase (limit one case per customer) Retail Value: $12.95

Free empty 36 color wallet case with 24 sketch marker purchase (limit one case per customer) Reatail value: $16.95

or a free empty 36 sktech marker clear plastic case. Retail value: $5.95

The coupon code link on our website is down. If you want to order just
place the order and customer service are instructed to manually apply the
discount at the time of billing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
I saw that Eclectic Paperie has a bunch of COPIC containers on their website, too.
Thanks, Novell! I saw them, but I want something more . . . I dunno . . .

"Funky", I guess? It'll find me. Soon. I hope. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks, Novell! I saw them, but I want something more . . . I dunno . . . "Funky", I guess? It'll find me. Soon. I hope. :p
The tricky thing I found, too, is that the containers only fit the specific style of pen - ciao containers do not hold sketch, neither hold the original square. I bought one set and some ala carte singles and an empty case before I realized I would not be able to mix and match in the containers.

Please let us know if you find that container, Julie! I'd check my Walmart if I knew what you were looking for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #28  
Sassy Sarcastic Stamper

I'm fortunate enough to live a mile away from a Dick Blick store. I've been purchasing the Sketch markers a few at a time, taking my SU markers with me to compare colors. Its a good way for me to get what I want when I want them.

As for storage, I just bought some of the Sterlite 3 drawer units that fit on a desktop. I have my Blender pens in 1 drawer, my Copics in a couple of other drawers, and some other stuff in the rest of the drawers. You might be able to see them in my gallery behind my cards. Its nothing special but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I also want to know if they (Ciaos) have to be stored horizontally. The case I bought for $5.95 seems to be for vertical storage, but I guess I could lay it on its side. I just wanted to make sure.

It's official...I'm a stamping addict (second only to my "being a grandma" addiction)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the info ladies as I really want some Copics too

My blog : www.mum-on-the-run.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Also, can anyone tell me about the blenders? I thought I had read about them...I noticed that while the markers do not run with adirondak ink, the blender does - I remember reading they are different formulas - but I can't dig it back up.
If I heat set brilliance I would be ok with both the markers and the blender?
And, do you have multiple blenders because they pick up a bit of color, and you have one for each color family? I haven't heard that specified.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #32  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, Novell! I saw them, but I want something more . . . I dunno . . .

"Funky", I guess? It'll find me. Soon. I hope. :p
Seriously, the wire caddies are just itchin' to be altered. Beads, crystals, ribbon, feathers, acrylic mirrors, pearls, satin ribbon, shells...

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stclassnanaView Post
I also want to know if they (Ciaos) have to be stored horizontally. The case I bought for $5.95 seems to be for vertical storage, but I guess I could lay it on its side. I just wanted to make sure.
I have mine verticle. Works fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have mine verticle. Works fine.
Thanks, Jeanne. I will quit worrying about my Ciaos being upright. They definitely do not seem to have any inkflow problems!

I just received the Spica glitter pens today and Ellen has a reminder on her blog that they should be horizontal. She puts the set in a cute little zippered case.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
Thanks, Jeanne. I will quit worrying about my Ciaos being upright. They definitely do not seem to have any inkflow problems!

I just received the Spica glitter pens today and Ellen has a reminder on her blog that they should be horizontal. She puts the set in a cute little zippered case.
Those are waterbased. That may be the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottchixView Post
Also, can anyone tell me about the blenders? I thought I had read about them...I noticed that while the markers do not run with adirondak ink, the blender does - I remember reading they are different formulas - but I can't dig it back up.
If I heat set brilliance I would be ok with both the markers and the blender?
And, do you have multiple blenders because they pick up a bit of color, and you have one for each color family? I haven't heard that specified.
I used the Adirondack Pitch Black ink today with my blender pen and didn't have any troubles with it running.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It is so important to me that I always do my best to have the most up-to-date educational information possible and then to share it with you all. I have been storing my Copic Sketch markers in a vertical position with no problems, but I can tell you that I will go to "the" source to make certain that we will all be OK doing this.

Thank you for also sharing the information regarding the Spica glitter pens. Yes, those are water based and the cavity/tips are designed differently than the Copic Sketch/Ciao or Originals and thus these must be stored horizontally.

I haven't been able to answer questions as much with life being so crazy as of late, but always know that I will do my best when it comes to these techie types of things to answer or find the answers to the best of my abilities.

I have had the best luck with Adirondack inks or pigment inks (heat set or allowed the time to fully dry) when stamping and coloring with the Copic markers and utilizing the Blender Pen. As soon as I am able to get around again I will go ahead and test different papers with the different inks to determine what the difference is, or if there is a difference between the inks we use. I have had wonderful success with the Neenah Classic Crest papers. This paper has a wonderful finish, snap and just enough tooth to make combining Copics and Prismacolor pencils make your images fabulous!

Thank you all again for the kinds words of support - I truly appreciate them AND you. Please know that I will try and answer any techie questions you might have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

Ellen will you have a package of the 48 Copics that match the SU colors available soon?? I definately want to get those. Thanks.
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

You totally ROCK, Ellen! I'm so glad I was directed your way for my Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllenHView Post
Thank you all so much for the kind words. It is so important to me that I always do my best to have the most up-to-date educational information possible and then to share it with you all. I have been storing my Copic Sketch markers in a vertical position with no problems, but I can tell you that I will go to "the" source to make certain that we will all be OK doing this.

Thank you for also sharing the information regarding the Spica glitter pens. Yes, those are water based and the cavity/tips are designed differently than the Copic Sketch/Ciao or Originals and thus these must be stored horizontally.

I haven't been able to answer questions as much with life being so crazy as of late, but always know that I will do my best when it comes to these techie types of things to answer or find the answers to the best of my abilities.

I have had the best luck with Adirondack inks or pigment inks (heat set or allowed the time to fully dry) when stamping and coloring with the Copic markers and utilizing the Blender Pen. As soon as I am able to get around again I will go ahead and test different papers with the different inks to determine what the difference is, or if there is a difference between the inks we use. I have had wonderful success with the Neenah Classic Crest papers. This paper has a wonderful finish, snap and just enough tooth to make combining Copics and Prismacolor pencils make your images fabulous!

Thank you all again for the kinds words of support - I truly appreciate them AND you. Please know that I will try and answer any techie questions you might have.
Thanks Ellen. Glad you chimed in ;)
Reply With Quote Likes