Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mist and Sprays

I've been wanting to buy some spays and mists, but there are so many out there that I don't know how they all compare and how to make a choice.

I know I want more than just the Perfect Pearls mist. Here is a list of spray/mists that I would love to have feedback on:

Ranger's new DYLUSIONS INK SPRAY
Tim Holtz Color Wash
Tattered Angels
Mister Huey's
October Afternoon SIDEWALKS Sprinklers

thanks ladies
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love Tattered Angel's colors so that's why I choose their spray inks. I think most of them work very similarly, it's just a matter of which colors you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not fond of sprays and mists. Too messy for my taste.

I had Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mist and was thoroughly disappointed. The spray came out in splotches, not a "mist", no matter how much I shook the bottle and rinsed the cap. Also, the color was kind of blah, like watered down Kool-Aid, and the "glimmer" was practically non-existent. I gave it away.

This weekend, I had a chance to play a bit with Clearsnap Smooch Spritz. The bottles are small, but I found that less is more with the Smooch. The colors are VERY vibrant and the shimmer actually showed on the projects. Unfortunately, it still had the clogging problem. I was told that it has a lot of mica in it so it needs to be shaken a lot before and between each spray.

I don't recall how cleanup with the Glimmer Mist. I was surprised that the Smooch sprays, while super dark, cleaned up easily with warm water and a little soap.

My friend who brought the Smooch to the gathering sent a few home with me. I'll have to play with them a bit more before I decide if I like them. I tend to stay away from wet and messy, mostly because I'm clumsy and tend to transfer color to my fingers and then to my paper, ribbon, clothes, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Just tried the Stampin Up Smooch Spritz - what a mess! At first I couldn't even get the product to spray in a brand new bottle. Then it came out in globs. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, is there a better product out there that can give you similar results?

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My two favorite mists are Mister Huey's because I love all their color choices. I think they have good coverage and most of all, they don't warp the paper at all. LOVE that!!! I have not found Mister Huey's in any local stores though. I bought mine at the CKC show. I plan on buying more this year again!!!

I love October Afternoon's misters as well. Once again, great colors, although limited. You must shake them very well though. I have found them at Archivers.

I have several Tattered Angels ones. while I have them, they aren't my favorites. The colors are muted IMO and warp the paper. I like the glitter effect with them.

I have also made my own glimmer mist with perfect pearls, water and whatever coloring agent you want to use....marker refills, food coloring, paint....anything works most of the time!!! I LOVE MISTERS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm going to look for them on my next buying trip. Thanks for sharing.

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

My favorite misters are the ones I've made myself. I have made some using distress reinkers, Perfect Pearls and alcohol - it evaporates so quickly, it doesn't warp the paper.

I found mister bottles (just like Ranger's Mini Misters) - a 2-pack for $1.99 at Sally's Beauty Supply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried the SU Smoosh whatever and I hated it. I make my own spray with alcohol and a bit of Shimmer paint in a small spray bottle. All I want is the slight shimmer effect and not color. And a regular cardboard box works just as well as a Color Catcher "box". But I'm frugal that way.
Those Tattered Angels sprays were all the rage a couple of years ago, but now you hardly ever hear about them or see them used on UTube videos anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

i still like making my own - either perfect pearls and reinker or luminarte primary elements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I too make my own...plain alcohol (get the highest percent you can find0 and shimmer paint (gold, silver and champayne ???) from walmart or the shimmer paints from Stampin Up. Works like a charm. Dries quickly. :=)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I have several brands of mists and have found most of them clog or give uneven coverage at some point in time. To get an even coverage I often paint the liquid onto the paper rather than spray it on - less mess and no splotches.

The other thing to be aware of with mists is that some mists are translucent and others are opaque. So depending upon the look you're after, it could narrow down your choice of mist brands.

I stumbled across this youtube video some time ago which compares various mists on the market as I was curious about the differences between Mr Hueys mists to glimmermist etc. The video compares glimmermist, chalkboard mist, october afternoon mist, mr hueys mist and ranger color wash and you might find it useful.
Glitter Girl Adventure 002 :: The Magnitude of Mists - YouTube

I also dont mind the Tsukineko's "Fireworks" mists (which are a bit like glimmermist) as these match my Memento inks so I can mist & stamp to match.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Great video and very informative. Thanks for sharing. You were a big help today, as I'm off to Archivers for a class and was thinking about what glimmer mist to purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi all, I didn't see two of my all time favorite sprays mentioned here so I thought I'd throw them into the mix

Lindys Stamp Gang sprays....Absolutely love these
Starbursts= vibrant, in oh so many beautiful colors (a bit o bubbly= my fave)
Moonshadows= shimmery colors with a brown undertone for a beautiful vintage look
Glitz Spritz= clear with colored shimmer, great on dark cardstock, but also great for a hint of shimmer on light cardstock

By the way I've been using these for years and I have never had one clog yet that I remember. You can get them as sprays, daubers or in jars. they are shipped dry, you add the hot water ( I use filtered water) The jars are great since they are all shipped with just the powder you can add any liquid media to make your own particular colored media.

They also carry Magical Micas which are so versatile. sort of like perfect pearls but way more pigmented and vibrant and more color options. I love using these to color my images.

I also love Radiant Rain from Luminarte, the colors are lucious. They do clog a bit so I always try to keep the spray caps clean, but the coloring you get is sooo worth the extra effort.

P.S. I'm not affiliated in any way, just been using these for many years and always satisfied with the results.

Last edited by fairdragon; 04-16-2012 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the vibrant colors of the Dylusions.. I love Colorwash, the colors are more subtle. I haven't tried Mr. Huey's but am dying too. I make my own sprays all the time with reinkers and perfect pearls..since I have a lot, it is "free" to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default Crafty Steals and Mister Huey's

Crafty Steals website has Mister Huey's Mists (4 bottles) for sale at $11.99 with $5.99 shipping which is $17.89, or $4.47 a bottle. I have little to no experience with mists(?) and am wondering if this is a good deal ... cheapest place I could find them without shipping was $5.05 (per bottle) at Ebay. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairdragonView Post
Hi all, I didn't see two of my all time favorite sprays mentioned here so I thought I'd throw them into the mix

Lindys Stamp Gang sprays....Absolutely love these
Starbursts= vibrant, in oh so many beautiful colors (a bit o bubbly= my fave)
Moonshadows= shimmery colors with a brown undertone for a beautiful vintage look
Glitz Spritz= clear with colored shimmer, great on dark cardstock, but also great for a hint of shimmer on light cardstock

By the way I've been using these for years and I have never had one clog yet that I remember. You can get them as sprays, daubers or in jars. they are shipped dry, you add the hot water ( I use filtered water) The jars are great since they are all shipped with just the powder you can add any liquid media to make your own particular colored media.
I have to agree with this! I *love* Lindy's! And I haven't had any clog either - but be careful if/when you buy. If it says "Moonshadow" then it's a brown spray with colored glimmer (I didn't know this the 1st time I bought some - surprise!) but "Starburst" is is closer to what you'd get with a bottle of glimmer mist (colored spray with coordinating glimmer) just richer color. And no clogs! (in over 7+ years)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have glimmer mist and smooch and so far I don't like either one for the reasons mentioned above! Is there any way of using glimmer mist without having it warp your card so bad that you can't use it? I made a Mother's Day card last night which was really cute but needed "a little something", so I thought "glimmer!!!". Well, that went south real quickly and now I have to make a new card. I have 5 bottles that I bought for 50% off when Paper Zone closed it's doors and I'm soooooo glad I did not pay full price! So glimmer mist is too wet and smooch comes out too blotchy and clogs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseygalView Post
I have glimmer mist and smooch and so far I don't like either one for the reasons mentioned above! Is there any way of using glimmer mist without having it warp your card so bad that you can't use it? I made a Mother's Day card last night which was really cute but needed "a little something", so I thought "glimmer!!!". Well, that went south real quickly and now I have to make a new card. I have 5 bottles that I bought for 50% off when Paper Zone closed it's doors and I'm soooooo glad I did not pay full price! So glimmer mist is too wet and smooch comes out too blotchy and clogs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............
I rarely spray the mist these days as I don't like how it over saturates the paper and can be blotchy. Instead I dip a paintbrush into the mist and paint it where I want it. This way I get an even coverage exactly where I want it without the blotchy soggy mess. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Misters

When those of you say you use perfect pearls what do you mean the sprays or the powders? Please excuse my ignorance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Has anyone tried the Heidi Swapp brand of sprays? I purchased 8 at Michaela yesterday because they were 40% off so a little over $3.50 each. I look forward to trying them.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Has anyone tried the Heidi Swapp brand of sprays? I purchased 8 at Michaela yesterday because they were 40% off so a little over $3.50 each. I look forward to trying them.
Blessings.
I have several colors of Heidi Swapp's sprays and love them. They do make the paper curl but knowing this I can plan the use ahead of time, allow it to dry and top it with a book or two for the night. You can use lots of strong adhesive but I always like it to dry long while it's being flattened. I tend to get ink everywhere.

I use a shipping box to use the sprays until my DH throws it out. (I have a box hoarding tendency.) I use them with stencils or just spray different colors in layers for different effect. A spray in General is going to be a bit blotchy with mists, but you have to hold the bottle far back and sometimes spray in different areas away from the paper so that you get a small mist. Look for Kristina Werners videos where she uses a mist on her cards. That's where I've learned all about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I've tried LOTS of sprays and mists. By far, my favorite is Lindy's, she has such a great selection!!! Lindy's Stamp Gang

They are gorgeous and have such beautiful shimmer and subtle color change to them, I always get compliments on my cards when I use them, as to how did I do that? They have a variety of sprays, glitzes, which you can get individually or in sets. And, no, I do not work for them, I just LOVE their products and own a large amount!! I too use a box to spray my items in. You can add it to DP, or make your own - you feel so creative!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately, my favorite has been discontinued - Zana Clark's StampZia mists. They are the most amazing colors and rarely clogged because they don't have paint pigments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I did a google search awhile back and found a recipe using acrylic paints - easy to do and so far, no clogging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #26  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

My favorites are Dylusions, Lindy's Stamp Gang, Radiant Rain, and Fireworks in no particular order of preference.

Unique to Lindy's (at least in my experience) is all of the multiple colors that one ink 'color' has.

I love the vibrant colors of Dylusions; they are my 'non-sparkly' sprays.

Radiant Rain has incredible colors and the shimmer is just beautiful.

Fireworks coordinate with my Memento dye inks (as someone already mentioned).

The first sprays that I bought (and still have) were Tattered Angels and I bought a whole bunch of them. I love the ink, but hate the clogging and blobbing when I spray so I stopped using them out of sheer frustration. They are almost all still full. I'll use them in some capacity or other at some point.

I also have the Ranger color wash (in the old BIG bottles lol), but I don't use them much. I bought them very early when I first began stamping and they are overpowering to me - so saturated with color - and I don't use an earthy pallet that often, so there they sit LOL. I think they might be more suited to material/fabric applications than paper, at least for me. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with them one of these days ;)

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 03-23-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes