Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making #10 Envelopes?

I was wondering what tools you'd recommend that will help me make #10 business size 4-1/8" x 9-1/2" envelopes?
I'm planning to use wallpaper samples and maybe other papers later.

So far I've looked online and seen the Enveloper and Kreat-a-lope (I think that's the name).
Most other tools don't seem to make the #10 business size envie.

I'd love to get your opinions and experiences on any devices or techniques you've tried or seen. to make #10 envies.

Thanks very much
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a couple of the Kreate-a-lope templates, but not the #10 size.

I would probably just take apart an envelope and make a template from that. Then, trace around and cut. Not too good for mass production, but would work for a few at least.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

The Envelope Mill (ISBN 1-56530-149- has 3 templates, including a #10; #1 is 3 5/8" x 5 1/8" (A4 envelope), #2 is 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" (#6 envelopes), and #3 is 4 1/8" x 9 1/2" (legal size envelope). I've had these templates since 1993. Here is the Amazon.com URL: http://www.amazon.com/Envelope-Mill-.../dp/1565301498.

Good luck! You can use the ISBN # to see if your local bookstore can get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi, thanks for responding

How do you like the Kreate-a-lope template? Do you think it speeds things up? I want to make a bunch probabaly 1-3 times a month so am hoping to find anything to help but at a decent price also.
Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have a couple of the Kreate-a-lope templates, but not the #10 size.

I would probably just take apart an envelope and make a template from that. Then, trace around and cut. Not too good for mass production, but would work for a few at least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the tip, looks cool!

I'll be on the hunt for this. I saw that they sell it used via the link from amazon so I'll look at those and see if I can find it locally also. Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card Maker 01View Post
The Envelope Mill (ISBN 1-56530-149- has 3 templates, including a #10; #1 is 3 5/8" x 5 1/8" (A4 envelope), #2 is 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" (#6 envelopes), and #3 is 4 1/8" x 9 1/2" (legal size envelope). I've had these templates since 1993. Here is the Amazon.com URL: http://www.amazon.com/Envelope-Mill-.../dp/1565301498.

Good luck! You can use the ISBN # to see if your local bookstore can get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Kreate-a-lope templates and I also got the Enveloper from HSN when it was a todays special.

I think of the two, the Enveloper is much faster. You cut your paper ahead of time to the dimensions they say, and then put it on the gadget and score the fold lines.

By the way, I had to adjust which lines I used to score for an envie to fit a standard size card, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2. It is made in England and they have different sizes than we do for paper products.

The Kreate-a-lope takes a little longer, but I do use my paper cutter to make the right size squares to start with. Then you put a template in the middle of the square and fold the envelope around it instead of scoring and folding.
I think they have a video on their website that shows the process.

So, the Kreate-a-lope is a little cheaper I think, but I like the Enveloper better.

Lots of people use the Score Pal to make envies. There are different formulas on their website for where you score the lines. It seemed more complicated to me, so I don't do that.

I think we have too many choices, lol.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbossyView Post
Thanks for the tip, looks cool!

I'll be on the hunt for this. I saw that they sell it used via the link from amazon so I'll look at those and see if I can find it locally also. Thanks again!
It isn't as easy to use as the modern tools (mentioned above), but you CAN make just about any size envelope, but you'll have to THINK and have a ruler and pen/pencil ready (to make both sides the same size...eyeballing doesn't work too well ;) ). Of course, since you're primarily interested in the standard #10, you'll have no problem!

Depending on what you have in mind for you envie paper, you can also orient your main picture vertically instead of the usual horizontal method (See attached - it's from an oversize Macy's ad...naturally, after asking my neighbor to save them for me, they stopped printing them :rolleyes. You may have to put the address labels and stamp on the back, if it interfers with the picture too much.

Last edited by Card Maker 01; 11-10-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Neat looking envies cardmaker01, very eye catching!

Have an update! My DH used a nice piece of leftover plexiglass and cut me a #10 envelope template! It's really nice and works well. I made one envie last night and hope to make more tonight. yipee
Been checking to be sure the stick glue stick is holding, so far it's fine.

Thanks again for the help & tips ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thank YOU, mbossy!

And congratulations on having a crafty husband! Some him MY way, I could use some stencils created! And here I thought cutting on thick plastic was difficult...but plexiglass?!?!?!?

You could also use a regular or colored paper #10, cut out the size of a picture (4 x 6, or 3 x5, etc.) in the center of the front of the envie and place/tape acetate inside (or the backside of the paper) making the picture the focal point of the envie. Just think: glaring yellow/orange/red eyes on black paper! Or Santa's eyes on green or red paper. Or I did one with an Endangered Species Tiger chocolate bar wrapper on tiger stipped paper (the tiger had an effective glare :o ).

Shoot! Who needs cards when the envies are so much fun! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Neat looking envies cardmaker01, very eye catching!

Have an update! My DH used a nice piece of leftover plexiglass and cut me a #10 envelope template! It's really nice and works well. I made one envie last night and hope to make more tonight. yipee
Been checking to be sure the stick glue stick is holding, so far it's fine.

Thanks again for the help & tips ladies!
I wonder if one could easily make a template set out of quilting template plastic? That can be cut with regular scissors. You could make one using the opened up #10 envelope to trace the outside. Then you could make one of the folded up #10 envelope to use your embossing tool or bone folder to make the appropriate creases. Then the envelope could quickly and easily be folded to shape. What do you think of this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

You can buy stencil plastic very reasonably (there are at least 3 pieces in the package) that can be cut with scissors or and exacto knife. I do it all time. I am an envelope fanatic! I even LOVE to line them, so I have made my own liner templates.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow you all have some great ideas. I never thought of quilters template plastic, never knew you could buy stencil plastic either. Very clever!

cardmaker01, my DH used a reciprocating saw to cut the template, it's about a 1/4 inch thick so it doesn't move when I'm using it. He is already thinking of improvements for another one lol I'm very lucky!

Thanks again ladies, I love reading all of your creative ideas and tips. Very inspiring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The Enveloper

You all have some great ideas for making templates. Just thought I would post my experience -- in case anyone needs to know.

I have the Enveloper. It makes envelopes very easily.

Main problem is that it was designed in Europe so their measurements don't seem to be exactly right for the U.S. size envelopes. It took a couple of tries to figure out that cutting the size of the paper down a little makes the envelope fit much better.

So for an A2 envelope you need to start with an 8" square of paper -not 8.25 as they suggest.
For a #10 envelope you need to start with a 9.75" square instead of the 10" they suggest.

It really works great. I just had to do some experimenting to get the U.S. sizes right.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I wonder if one could easily make a template set out of quilting template plastic? That can be cut with regular scissors. You could make one using the opened up #10 envelope to trace the outside. Then you could make one of the folded up #10 envelope to use your embossing tool or bone folder to make the appropriate creases. Then the envelope could quickly and easily be folded to shape. What do you think of this?
Maleina,

I don't see why not. The best plastic is as clear as possible and stiff but not too stiff (too thin and it will buckle when you try to trace around it, and too stiff will be hard to move when needed for picture adjustment). The clarity isn't so much a factor when using plain or patterned paper, but really makes a difference when trying to locate a line or not cutting off your picture's parts (see my attachment a previous post).

Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2nu2noView Post
You can buy stencil plastic very reasonably (there are at least 3 pieces in the package) that can be cut with scissors or and exacto knife. I do it all time. I am an envelope fanatic! I even LOVE to line them, so I have made my own liner templates.
Pam
I'd LOVE to line mine, but inevitably, I rarely make the same size envie (or course, I'm not referring to the #10's ;). Also, I used double-sided tape to seal my envie sides and top, so the liner wouldn't be as appreciated due to slitting at the top :(

I applaud your creativity in doing so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

cardmaker01, my DH used a reciprocating saw to cut the template, it's about a 1/4 inch thick so it doesn't move when I'm using it. He is already thinking of improvements for another one lol I'm very lucky!
mbossy,

You might keep in mind the design of the envelope. I LOVE the idea of free, but the standard envies (#10 and #6) have wings for the flaps. This, to me, is wasteful (when cutting out the paper). Wings are fine for sanitary napkin protection :oops:, but not for envies ;)

This is one thing I do like about The Envelope Mill templates: they have shorter straight flaps (and while both designs probably use the same amount of paper), I get more usable (re: larger) scraps AND can even make a #10 from an 8.5" x 11" paper (see attached; the scribbles are the waste).

There is a caveat: the template is 1/2" longer at the bottom, so when scored and folded, the top flap will only cover 1/8 of an inch of the rest of the evvie (at the back), so no glue can be used to seal it, only tape or well-placed stickers:(

As to the tape, I don't think the regular transparent tape would be strong enough to hold up, especially in damp areas. I'd use the chrystal clear shipping tape, even if it envolves cutting strips (down the midpoint of the tape). The con to this is seeing the shiny tape...:rolleyes:

Last edited by Card Maker 01; 11-10-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Cardmaker01,
I love that it's free too, especially since I'm just starting out making my own envies. I use the scraps to cover the backs of blank cards and use as postcards, also die cut other scraps to use as stickers on envies. I'm loathe to waste paper too! LOL :p

I've been using a glue stick on the envies, so far so good but will look for some double sided tape or use a sliver of packing tape. I'm having a lot of fun making envies, who needs cards? LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card Maker 01View Post
mbossy,

You might keep in mind the design of the envelope. I LOVE the idea of free, but the standard envies (#10 and #6) have wings for the flaps. This, to me, is wasteful (when cutting out the paper). Wings are fine for sanitary napkin protection :oops:, but not for envies ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

I love making my own envies! I've finally got it down. DH made an insert template so I can just fold the paper I cut with the template around it and it folds to the correct #10 size, big time saver!

Thanks again for all the great tips, here's one I just made and really like. (Hope it shows up)
Attached Thumbnails
Making #10 Envelopes?-envie2.jpg   Making #10 Envelopes?-envie3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Wow those are great! Nice work!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Cool Awwww right!!!!!

Quote:

I love making my own envies! I've finally got it down. DH made an insert template so I can just fold the paper I cut with the template around it and it folds to the correct #10 size, big time saver!

Thanks again for all the great tips, here's one I just made and really like. (Hope it shows up)
Yes they did, and I can see why you like it! Very pretty! Too bad the Big Girl Panties (and bra) card couldn't be made to fit it! :mrgreen: The flip flop card would be perfect...

Good job!
Joan
Reply With Quote Likes