Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting a Cuttlebug!

I decided today that I can no long live without a Cuttlebug. Now, I need some helping deciding what accessories are a necessity. What are your favorite embossing folders and die cuts? Also, how do you organize your folders/dies? Is it worth the money to buy the Cuttlebug organizer binder?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ooh, have fun with your new toy.

I'm using Nestabilities a lot more often than some of my other dies, so those would definitely be something to check out. I read a tip on the forums to store them in clear CD cases with magnetic strips inside, and that has worked out well to keep them organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YAY!!! I have a Big Kick - but my favorite things are the embossing folders (by Cuttlebug, Sizzix and Quickutz) and then the second favorite is the Nestabilities (I cannot WAIT for the new Nesties to be in stock!)

Since you are a newbie to cuttlebug, you can get the older folders for dirt cheap sometimes at OH MY CRAFTS.

I use my folders and my Nesties every time I craft or make cards. Literally. But I'm a die cut diva, I love my Big Kick and everything that goes with it!

I do the storage in the clear CD cases with the magnet strip, like Judi was talking about, except I altered the CD cases to be really cute (can't help it)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I was just on OH MY CRAFTS drooling over the folders and their low prices. I was looking into the Nesties today at the scrapbooking store and I def. think I need to get some of those!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

You are going to love it. I use mine numerous times a day!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithxmarieView Post
I was just on OH MY CRAFTS drooling over the folders and their low prices. I was looking into the Nesties today at the scrapbooking store and I def. think I need to get some of those!

Thanks for your help!
Scrapbooking Alley has the best prices by far on the Nesties, with free shipping and no sales tax. Their complete sets (with 4 packages to a set) cost between $50-$55. Their individual packages (with 5-6 dies per package) cost $16.65.

They don't have the newest releases yet though. I can't wait until they get the new Labels series so I can buy them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh! Thanks for that tip! I was trying to work it out earlier how much they would cost if I got them at Joann's with my 40% off coupons as a set of 4 that I priced at a local scrapbook store was over $80 and I was hoping I could get them cheaper! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Get the Swiss Dots embossing folder...it's very versatile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't mean to burst your bubble of excitement but I would like to give you my two cents....if you want something portable then get the Cuttlebug you'll love it! Check Ebay for a good deal.

But if you spend just a little more and don't care if it's portable then get the Big Shot!

I started with the bug but had the Big Shot been out there I would have just gone for the Big Shot!

The Big Shot is not that much more in cost (and look on Ebay) and it does a lot more than the bug. You can using any type of die in the BS where you also can on the bug but you are limited to size/width also the BS will cut through chipboard, fabric, leather and other items that the bug won't.

I'm just trying to be helpful. As a side note I do still have my bug but it's sitting now. The ONLY reason I still have it for that "just in case" I want to take it somewhere.

HAVE FUN you WILL love either one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #10  
Vintage Vixen

I like the Cuttlebug a lot. I don't use it on every card or project, but I find that I use it more now that I've bought some Nestabilities.

In terms of embossing folders, I like the Swiss Dot, Leafy Branch, and Distressed Stripes. These are all old ones so you can probably find them for less than the regular $4.99. Oh, and the snowflake one is nice for Christmas or winter cards.

I also bought a Cuttlebug alphabet because I don't have a Cricut or anything like that. In fact, the original reason I bought the Cuttlebug and the alphabet was to make a scrapbook for my mom, and I had no way to make nice individual letters.

For Nestabilities I started with the large oval and scalloped oval, because I did not have a clean and easy way to cut ovals. Next I'd like to get the circle and scalloped circle. If you like to layer things (as I do) be sure to get the scalloped set to go with the plain edge set.

I only have 4 Nestabilities and about 7 embossing folders, so I still have mine in their original packaging in one of those photo boxes that you can get at Michaels. My Cuttlebug plates fit in there, too so everything is in one spot. I'll have to figure out a better storage system if I add to my collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks everyone for the tips!

I've decided my first nestie is going to be the scalloped circles. Eventually, I'd like to get them all, but I have punches for circles and squares, so I thought I'd start with what I don't have.

I still haven't decided on an embossing folders or die cuts. There are just sooo many cute ones! I think I'm going to get the swiss dots and snowflakes embossing folders, but I'm not too sure yet.

Thanks again everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

My favorite folder is Stylized Flowers. I love how elegant it is. I store all my folders in a little pink box I got at Joann's in the clearance section for $.99. It fits them perfectly. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithxmarieView Post
Oh! Thanks for that tip! I was trying to work it out earlier how much they would cost if I got them at Joann's with my 40% off coupons as a set of 4 that I priced at a local scrapbook store was over $80 and I was hoping I could get them cheaper! Thank you!!
You're welcome! Have FUN! Nesties are a blast - but beware, they are also addicting. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Definately get the SNOWFLAKES embossing folder! It is so cool for winter...and you can probably find it pretty cheap! I also like the winter house, another winter theme. Have fun browsing thru them all! I'm sure your list will keep growing! I love my BUG!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

My favourite CB embossing folder is the "Textile" one - very elegant! And the Cuttlebug WILL cut chipboard,fabric, metal; I have not tried leather.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I got cuttlebug and some nesties dies. I use my nesties with my cb and I do have sizzix dies and embossing folders that I also use with my cb. The trick to use the nesties and the sizzix embossing folders on cb is that just layer your cutting pads with a chipboard. Cb got nice new embossing folders for fall and Christmas this year that I'm hoping not to miss. I don't have any binder yet for my dies and folders, but I do keep them all in original packaging just in case I might trade/sell them in future. Cb is definitely worth it and I use it on every card I make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitterboo212View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble of excitement but I would like to give you my two cents....if you want something portable then get the Cuttlebug you'll love it! Check Ebay for a good deal.

But if you spend just a little more and don't care if it's portable then get the Big Shot!

I started with the bug but had the Big Shot been out there I would have just gone for the Big Shot!

The Big Shot is not that much more in cost (and look on Ebay) and it does a lot more than the bug. You can using any type of die in the BS where you also can on the bug but you are limited to size/width also the BS will cut through chipboard, fabric, leather and other items that the bug won't.

I'm just trying to be helpful. As a side note I do still have my bug but it's sitting now. The ONLY reason I still have it for that "just in case" I want to take it somewhere.

HAVE FUN you WILL love either one
Thanks for this information! Portability is a huge issue for me, as I have no "permanent" crafting place. I need to be able to put everything in my rolling tote and shove it into the closet when I'm done, which I think rules out the Big Shot. I did look into it, but I think the Cuttlebug will be perfect for what I need.

I have a question about the CB embossing folders. Do they only stay out in stores for a certain amount of time? Someone mentioned not missing out on the new ones and I have quite a few newer ones on my "to buy" list. I want to make sure I scoop them up if there's a chance they could leave soon!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes