Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have heard of undercutting...but overcutting?!

I just received a retired SU set via the bay. I've seen some undercutting of stamps, but this is the first I have seen of overcutting. The rubber images are cut nice and close, but the foam underneath goes beyond the rubber part exposing the sticky stuff.

Has anyone ever experienced this? What can I do besides using a craft knife to get rid of the extra foam? :confused:

Thanks!

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I will intentionally overcut if I have an image that is very narrow in one direction - leaving a pyramid of foam makes the image much wider at the base (where it is connected to the block) and reduces the chance of "rocking" the stamp and ending up with a funny looking stamped image.

If the stamp you bought is skinny in one direction (like word stamps often are), try stamping with it first to see what you think before you cut away the extra foam.

All that said (in defense of overcutting), I am not sure that there are any options other than a craft knife for cutting away the extra foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenre lawyer
- leaving a pyramid of foam makes the image much wider at the base (where it is connected to the block) and reduces the chance of "rocking" the stamp and ending up with a funny looking stamped image.
Interesting! I didn't know that. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another one who overcuts for small words (like Everyday Flexible Phrases) or long skinny lines (like Wonderful Words or some flower stems).

If, after you try stamping, you want to get rid of the overcut, the easiest would be to put the stamp in the microwave for 5 - 10 seconds til the stamp peels off the wood. Trim the stamp, then replace it on the wood. It will still be sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

If it's just that the stickiness is bothering you, dust it with some cornstarch using a dry paint brush... no more sticky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you for those tips!

These are the Seaside Sketches images, so I don't think they are too narrow, do you? But if they will help a new stamper like me have better images, I will try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I can't think of any benefit to having an overcut on the relatively large, squarish stamps of Seaside Sketches. I'm with you, I'd cut away the extra padding on those.

I was thinking of something long and narrow, like Wonderful Words, that I would consider overcutting. But not Seaside Sketches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I have heard a lot of good things about hot knives for cutting through rubber stamp foam. Sounds like the person who trimmed this stamp set separated the rubber plate from the sheet of foam, trimmed all the stamp images nice and close, then stuck them back on the foam and did roughish cuts through the foam around the rubber dies. The only significant drawback I can think of with this is that the excess foam might get inked up along with the rubber image and mess up your stamping.

If you had to deal with this kind of thing often, you might want to consider springing for a hot knife that can be found in the wood burning section of Michaels for I think less than 16 USD, and even less with a coupon of course. Once these knives heat up, they cut through the foam like nobody's business and you have complete control over the cut. If it is just this one set you have to deal with, I would tough it out and either trim the foam with my Kai scissors, or have a go with the exacto or utility knife.
Reply With Quote Likes