Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! buying new cricut

I own the very first cricut, it has seen better days and is begging to be retired!
My loving husband wants to buy me a new one. WOW... I did not realize how many are out there!! I thought I was going to have him buy the expression, to my surprise, I can't find one in any store. We looked at the cricut mini, seems like it's what I need, however when looking online not many people have nice things to say.

What one should I buy?? I use it for paper only now but would like to do vinyl down the road.

Any suggestion will help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you are computer savvy the Mini or the Explore would be a good idea. They use the craft room or design studio. I have the Expression, Expression2 and the Create. If I were to but another (if they all died at once scenerio) I would get the Expression or the Expression2. I don't like the idea of being connected to the computer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

The mini can only be used wwith cricut craft room (free download program) and the explore can only be used with Design Space - dont confuse with Design Studio. Design space is a free download too. But both of those machines can ONLY be used when connected to the internet. They are not stand alone machines.
The mini cuts wonderful. Smooth, clean and quiet. The explore cuts even better.

But - for a good stand alone machine that can be used without a computer, the Expression is an all time favorite.
It can still be bought online. Cricutmachine.com still sells them.

If you want to import and cut svg files then the explore is the way to go.
If all you want to do is enjoy your cartridges without the hassle of a computer hook up then go with the expression.

If you are not familiar with either cricut craft room or design space why dont you download them and play around. It might help you make up your mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I still love the expression. Although I use my slice and my Silhouette SD, I still love my expression. I like having that 12x24 mat if I need it. I am planning on selling my SD and getting the cameo. I'm pretty sure that I'll be keeping my expression. If I sell my expression it will because I changed my mind on the cameo and got the explore, which I'm still considering...lol By the end of the summer I'm making that decision.

The expression, you can find them cheap on craigslist. I bought mine along with 4 carts for $80. I got a good deal with it. If you're not going with the explore and want the stand alone, I agree with sewnmachine. The expression is the best choice in that way.

If your husband is wanting to buy you a new new one I think you should check out the explore first. Not having to own carts is nice. You'd be able to purchase the cut files individually and only buy what you need. Just a thought. I think expression if you want to stay away from the internet, but I don't think that should scare you off. At least go look and research them... play with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for the help.
If I choose one that connects to the computer do I always need to be connected to the internet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

I too own the 1st cricut that had to be ordered while it aired on tv. My daughter finally gave in and got me 1. and it wasn't till 1 of my grand daughters luau was being planned. and like always after finally paying the 400 it took to finally getting it.. wal mart about a few weeks later had the expression on sale for 300+for black Friday... well I still make good use of my 1st cricut and still love it most lol maybe because im scared to explore my expression which I finally met a nice person who gave me a good deal on it and ive used it only 3 times in the few years ive had it lol.. saving it till my number 1 says ok you got your 400 worth from me and I admit its well paid us back and still ticking..(knock knock on wood). but mahalo all on the advise and suggestions here should I to should need a new cricut. but with all the cartridges I invested into I hope they will always have a machine that uses them. I love my cricut. mahalo ms Patti for asking this question
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutswithtwinsView Post
Thank you all for the help.
If I choose one that connects to the computer do I always need to be connected to the internet?
The mini and the explore can only be used when connected to the internet. Even though you have the programs downloaded onto your computer those programs must still access your account with provo craft to give you cutting rights to your images.

The expression can be used online with cricut craft room or as a stand alone machine by just inserting your cartridges - just like your original cricut.

I have over 100 cartridges, and limited space in my craftroom. So I am mst inclined to stick with my expression. If I Want to use cricut craft room I can, but it is by no means necessary.
If I wanted to design my own images using svg files I would need the Explore. But I'm happy using my cartridges. Thats why whenever provocraft comes out with new cartridges I always buy the physical cart rather than the digital version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

I have an Expression, a Min (got that for free), an original small Cricut, a Cake Mini, and a Gypsy. The original and Mini need a computer/internet. All of them, except the Explore, work with the Gypsy. I love my Cricuts. I just bought an original Silhouette from someone, and I'm loving that too.

ProvoCraft isn't making the original, the original Expression, the Mini, the Gypsy, or the Cake machines anymore. I don't think they are supporting them either. Silhouette supports all of their machines. I wouldn't give up my Cricuts, though.

I think the only machines they are making now are the Expression 2 (maybe) and the Explore.
Reply With Quote Likes