Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Distress Oxide Inks - will mini cubes be coming?

Well, I finally used the one Distress Oxide ink pad that I have, in a color I don't even like, and it was amazing!!! The ink pad, in Iced Spruce color, came with a Hero Arts monthly kit and was intended to be used to create realistic looking galvanized metal on the bucket stamps.
My first attempt using the Oxide ink on a small stamped metal pitcher image was awkward and I thought was going to look horrid. When it dried it looked fabulous!!! Now I'm hooked on Oxide inks. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I loaded my cart at Joanne's online with every color they had in stock because they are currently on sale for 2.99 each and shipping on special for $6. Before hitting the PayPal button, I got to thinking that they are likely to release the Oxide inks in those dandy mini cubes....has anyone heard if this is in the works? The minis are so much easier to store, and if they are likely to be released in the the next few months, I could cool my jets and wait.

So basically I'm asking for advice - buy the regular sized Oxide ink pads on sale now or wait for minis?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Unfortunately, they won't be released in mini form. Tim Holtz said that it has something to do with the formulation of the inks, and the larger surface is necessary for the inks to work properly. So buy them now, while you can get them at that great price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Unfortunately, they won't be released in mini form. Tim Holtz said that it has something to do with the formulation of the inks, and the larger surface is necessary for the inks to work properly. So buy them now, while you can get them at that great price!
That is SO good to know! Thanks for your speedy response.
I'm off to hit the "buy now" button! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

Lucky you; colour me "Lucky Clover" green with envy. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

We had Tim Holtz over here in the UK at the weekend, and I was lucky enough to get on one of the workshops. I can confirm what Scrapjanny says, as Tim repeated that in the workshops. The Oxides will not work in the mini format- but as they have been so popular, despite Ranger thinking they were going to fail, that there will be the full colour range, eventually. They will be released in blocks, but he has no idea what the order will be.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
We had Tim Holtz over here in the UK at the weekend, and I was lucky enough to get on one of the workshops. I can confirm what Scrapjanny says, as Tim repeated that in the workshops. The Oxides will not work in the mini format- but as they have been so popular, despite Ranger thinking they were going to fail, that there will be the full colour range, eventually. They will be released in blocks, but he has no idea what the order will be.
As a matter of fact, they have already released 2 different sets of 12 Oxide ink pads. I spotted one of them on Amazon, and a different grouping somewhere else. Price on Amazon was $56 US, with free ship.

I opted not to buy the sets of 12 since I would get a duplicate of one color I own and then a good number of pads that weren't on my "love them best" list of colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I adore the Oxides and can't wait to see the new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Iced Spruce as a soft wash of color for trees or cards with a vintage look. It seems to work with most colors. It can look like a soft green, a gray, or tannish.It has turned out to by my favorite color. Definitely would not be a favorite for those that like bright colors. My last color of choice would be Marmalade!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Try Iced Spruce as a soft wash of color for trees or cards with a vintage look. It seems to work with most colors. It can look like a soft green, a gray, or tannish.It has turned out to by my favorite color. Definitely would not be a favorite for those that like bright colors. My last color of choice would be Marmalade!
I will definitely try that! Thanks for sharing another way to use this deceptively dull color of ink.

A question for you about doing the soft wash - are you able to achieve the soft wash look with the ink on regular cardstock, or does it only work on water-friendly paper (Bristol, watercolor paper, mixed media paper)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a detailed stamp that was a church and trees, pathway etc. I did it on white Neenah 110#. I wanted that light image on white.....sepia like, only iced spruce is in the green/gray side. It was beautiful, if you like that look.I have not tried on Bristol, although I love Bristol. Since that is pretty smooth, might pu more color than the Neenah.
Not watercolcored with it yet. Just experiment. You can't go wrong.
I would consider Ice Spruce a can't go wrong color....not offensive....Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

We've had two colour sets released over here too, but I also , having bought the first full set, will be just picking 'must have' colours in future Suzy - I really don't need another 60+ pads! lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I did a detailed stamp that was a church and trees, pathway etc. I did it on white Neenah 110#. I wanted that light image on white.....sepia like, only iced spruce is in the green/gray side. It was beautiful, if you like that look.I have not tried on Bristol, although I love Bristol. Since that is pretty smooth, might pu more color than the Neenah.
Not watercolcored with it yet. Just experiment. You can't go wrong.
I would consider Ice Spruce a can't go wrong color....not offensive....Ha!
Thanks for clarifying how you used it. I'm picturing a greyed soft image, almost like viewing through a filter. I never even thought of stamping an image in Iced Spruce Oxide, thinking it would be too soft/light of a color to even show on white paper. I tend to use my regular distress inks for Watercolor techniques only and don't ever stamp an image using them....never even think to do so! Thanks for opening my eyes to even more possibilities for this color! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes