Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Those are very cute. There is a difference in the density of the blending foam pads and the Cut n Dry Foam. Tim has said that with some techniques it makes a difference.
Yup, they do have a different feel from the blending pads but I got used to it. As of yet I haven't run across any problems but I do have some of the blending pads, just in case.
Deb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #42  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post

I really like what Becca used to create her own Blending tools.

I tried using some Felt and it's didn't seem to work as good for me. I might have been doing something wrong.

But I think I will try re-making mine..using the cut and dry foam.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #43  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At this point I have nine of the blenders and I think that's enough of them if I can make some kind of pad storage work. I have seventeen ink pads so far. I am keeping the pads in little 2X3 inch ziplocs, and am trying to figure out how to label them. I typed up return address sized labels with the ink names, but they don't stick very well to the bags, I'm constantly smooshing them back flat. I ordered some bags with a label block on the bag to see if that would be better. I've got the bags standing on end in the plastic thingeys that the 10 pad pack comes in. If I can figure out a way to label the bags permanently, I like this solution so far.

Yesterday I realized I've spent more time in the past week fooling around with how to organize the inks and pads and blenders than actually using them, which struck me as slightly insane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairdragonView Post
Hi Rachelrose,
Hey, it worked. It's the first time I've uploaded a pic, had no clue what I was doing,yay.
I'm making a set of 6 of these for my mom. The little wood cups come in a pack of 6 for $1.29 I believe. Just used E-6000 to attach them to the block. One thing is, you definately have to use the cheap double sided tape that's not that sticky, I get the tape at the dollar store. Oh and I tried it with the actual blending pads and it worked but the pad shifted a little because of the fuzzy back.
Deb
These are the cutest and the prettiest blenders I've seen! You should start selling them before Ranger gets the idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
These are the cutest and the prettiest blenders I've seen! You should start selling them before Ranger gets the idea
Aww, thank you so much:-D. You made my day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I really like what Becca used to create her own Blending tools.

I tried using some Felt and it's didn't seem to work as good for me. I might have been doing something wrong.

But I think I will try re-making mine..using the cut and dry foam.
Ooh, those were so cute, and I've always thought that a circular sponge would have less harsh edges than a square one. Alas, I wish I could make those but i can't seem to cut circles with the foam without ragged edges :. Becca's look so nicely cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Ooh, those were so cute, and I've always thought that a circular sponge would have less harsh edges than a square one. Alas, I wish I could make those but i can't seem to cut circles with the foam without ragged edges :. Becca's look so nicely cut.
Wonder if there is a sizzix die that would work?

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I use the foam unmounted. They are selling for $3.12 a piece here. Ben Franklin - Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool (SOLD in PACK of 3)

It is very tempting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I took the small unmounted blocks and glued those little wood candle cups that Michaels and Joanns sell in the wood craft section upside down onto the blocks, I like a little bit of a handle. Viola! a smaller version of the in blending tool. I just put cheap double sided tape on the block and the foam does not shift during use but comes off easily for change ups. Now, I use Ranger's Cut n Dry Foam because it's more economical (get much more pads for less than the cost of the actual pads) so I don't know how the actual blending pads will react with the tape since the backs are sort of fuzzy, hmm, guess I should test that.
I store about 20 of these in a pencil case
Deb
Those are so cute! What a great idea for a birthday/Christmas gift for a fellow stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

They really are adorable, Deb. I'll be interested to see if the regular blenders with the fuzzy top stick to the tape. I don't see why they wouldn't.

If not, you could go back to velcro. If you accidentally tear them during removal, the pads themselves are not expensive to replace. Joann had the ten pack for 2.49 last time I looked. The pads are not where the expense is, it's the tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I own all the standard Distress Ink pads, but no limited edition pads.... yet. I make my own fingertip daubers out of chair caps, and have a pad, and small sponge, for each color. I have two floss boxes that I use to store all of these applicators. In each section of the box you can store a dauber, pad, and sponge piece. I have labeled each of the sections with the name of the DI color, using my Brother label maker. Also, I have made a label for the daubers, and I have found that I can write the name of the ink color with a fine Sharpie pen on the edges of the foam pads. I don't have my sponges labeled in any way, so I try to keep track of them while I am using them.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. I have found it interesting reading this thread!

PS I used my staple gun on the Tim Holtz tool, and haven't had any more problems with the velcro tearing away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by La FonzView Post
Those are so cute! What a great idea for a birthday/Christmas gift for a fellow stamper.
Thank you. HeHe, those are the ones I'm making my for mom as part of a combined belated Mother's day and Birthday package I'm sending her. Since I got her into stamping getting her gifts has become super easy. I always think that we stamper/crafters are the eaisiest people to gift to.:-D

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
They really are adorable, Deb. I'll be interested to see if the regular blenders with the fuzzy top stick to the tape. I don't see why they wouldn't.

If not, you could go back to velcro. If you accidentally tear them during removal, the pads themselves are not expensive to replace. Joann had the ten pack for 2.49 last time I looked. The pads are not where the expense is, it's the tool.
Thank you. I tried different tapes and unfortunately the fuzzy tops just don't stick very well, they start shifting after a while. I actually have quite a lot of them but me and velcro are not friends:( . I've actually flung the blending tool across the room after tearing so many pads.:twisted:That's why I made the ones to use tape on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have two blending tool handles and one package of 10 pads.
I just wash them with home made stamp cleaner when I finish using them.
I have never had any of them tear when I removed them from the tool.

The pads are 3 years old and still like new .
oh my I NEVER thought of washing them with stamp cleaner. I have done the velco on the bottom of the ink, but often forget to put the pads back when done and some colours it's hard to tell - so I use a new one. I will be washing all the current ones I have, it will be like have brand new pads lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

BarbaraJay- I never thought about using stamp cleaner either. That is a brilliant idea. Do you use the recipe that is baby shampoo, glycerin & water? Do you use a different recipe?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Thank you. I tried different tapes and unfortunately the fuzzy tops just don't stick very well, they start shifting after a while. I actually have quite a lot of them but me and velcro are not friends:( . I've actually flung the blending tool across the room after tearing so many pads.:twisted:That's why I made the ones to use tape on.

I can sooo relate!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have two blending tool handles and one package of 10 pads.
I just wash them with home made stamp cleaner when I finish using them.
What is the recipe for homemade stamp cleaner? Sounds like a good thing to know! Is it posted on SCS somewhere? Does it work on all kinds of inks?

THANKS!
Lynne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Here's one recipe I found on the forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fay Nana of 7View Post
Stamp Cleaner

3 Tablespoons of glycerin
8 ounces distilled water
1 teaspoon of baby wash

Put in bottle and shake well. It makes 8 ounces of cleaner. I keep a small spray bottle filled to clean my stamps. Works great!
Apparently you can buy glycerin in the drug store. I have never seen it, but then I have never looked for it.

I also don't know exactly what "baby wash" is. Baby shampoo? Liquid baby soap? Is there a particular brand? Again, no idea what is out there.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-31-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Here's one recipe I found on the forum:

Apparently you can buy glycerin in the drug store. I have never seen it, but then I have never looked for it.

I also don't know exactly what "baby wash" is. Baby shampoo? Liquid baby soap? Is there a particular brand? Again, no idea what is out there.
Thanks so much for posting this; stamp cleaner can be expensive!

I don't have any children so I am clueless about "baby wash" as well. Any Nanas or Mamas out there who can help?
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

That's the recipe I use. Glycerin is so hard to find in drugstores now. I buy my glycerin in the soap making aisle of my craft store. I can get a big bottle for around $6. I use a coupon to make it cheaper. I make soap and beauty products too. Don't buy the glycerin in WalMart's health area. That brand has additives to it. You want 100% glycerin.

I am not a Nana or Mama. I am redhead with sensitive skin. Baby wash is liquid baby soap. You can also use baby shampoo. I use WalMart's Equate Baby Wash Baby Shampoo combo. I don't know why it's a combo since it's pretty much all the same. I bought a big pump bottle for $5. The smell is heavenly. I use a lot of baby wash for a lot of things. You can buy baby shampoo/baby wash at your local Dollar Tree. I think DT's version is more watery.

If you add a couple of drops of rose water to your stamp cleaner it will smell like Stampin Up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
That's the recipe I use. Glycerin is so hard to find in drugstores now. I buy my glycerin in the soap making aisle of my craft store. I can get a big bottle for around $6. I use a coupon to make it cheaper. I make soap and beauty products too. Don't buy the glycerin in WalMart's health area. That brand has additives to it. You want 100% glycerin.

I am not a Nana or Mama. I am redhead with sensitive skin. Baby wash is liquid baby soap. You can also use baby shampoo. I use WalMart's Equate Baby Wash Baby Shampoo combo. I don't know why it's a combo since it's pretty much all the same. I bought a big pump bottle for $5. The smell is heavenly. I use a lot of baby wash for a lot of things. You can buy baby shampoo/baby wash at your local Dollar Tree. I think DT's version is more watery.

If you add a couple of drops of rose water to your stamp cleaner it will smell like Stampin Up.
This has been SO HELPFUL! Thanks! I too am a redhead with extremely sensitive skin. I absolutely hate it when they do a "new and improved" on products I have found to be safe as it often results in rash city. I may have to give baby wash a try, especially at those prices!

I also appreciate the tip regarding the glycerine and where to find it.
:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

I cut my blending sponges in half. I like this size better and I can have a different color on each end of the tool if I want. I have two handles, so I can have four colors in use at one time!
31ae5685.jpg
I cut up chipboard from the backs of tablets, punched a 1/4 inch hole in one end, labeled the other end with a sharpie and put a very small piece of sticky back Velcro just above center so the sponge is closer to the labeled end.
40e8d59e.jpg
At first I had them on a 3 inch binder ring, but the collection grew so I threaded some ball chain through all of the and hang it from the knobs on a craft lamp where it is right to hand but does not take up any table space.
2c222cea.jpg
This has worked really well for me, hope others will find it to be useful as well!

In the last photo you can also see my Wal-Mart double-decker spice turnaround with all the distress pads, stacked in color families. Budget all the way, that's me! Hah!
;-)
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, how do you put the pictures in so they are little thumbnails that you click on to get big? Sorry for the huge pictures in the previous post, although you certainly can see every detail, LOL!
:-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

My search for glycerin online yielded lots of hits, and a lot of them were not 100% glycerin, but products for hair and skin and the like that contained glycerin. Some of the "pure glycerin" is listed as "vegetable glycerin". Good to use for cleaner?

I found one by Humco and one by Gabels that said they were pure glycerin. Can someone who is making this stuff give me a brand name? I don't want to make something that ends up destroying my stamps.

And is plain old Johnson's baby shampoo okay to use? That's found easily enough. Some of the baby washes have stuff added to them (scents, etc.) and, again, I'd rather fork over the $$ for stamp cleaner than make something that will cost me $$$$$$$$$$ in lost stamps.

Ha, I know I am complicating this more than I need to. But I apparently need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post
Ok, how do you put the pictures in so they are little thumbnails that you click on to get big? Sorry for the huge pictures in the previous post, although you certainly can see every detail, LOL!
:-(
I posted pictures awhile back and they came out huge. I am a computer geek. You would think I know the tips & tricks. I don't know either, lol. I loved your desk. I had fun snooping. I am trying to figure out what is in the spray bottle. I love your blender idea.

Quote:

My search for glycerin online yielded lots of hits, and a lot of them were not 100% glycerin, but products for hair and skin and the like that contained glycerin. Some of the "pure glycerin" is listed as "vegetable glycerin". Good to use for cleaner?

I found one by Humco and one by Gabels that said they were pure glycerin. Can someone who is making this stuff give me a brand name? I don't want to make something that ends up destroying my stamps.

And is plain old Johnson's baby shampoo okay to use? That's found easily enough. Some of the baby washes have stuff added to them (scents, etc.) and, again, I'd rather fork over the $$ for stamp cleaner than make something that will cost me $$$$$$$$$$ in lost stamps.

Ha, I know I am complicating this more than I need to. But I apparently need to.
Your complicating it more than you need too, ROFL! I do that all the time. Don't buy Humco. That is the one I was talking about that has additives. You want 100% Vegetable Pure Glycerin. I am using Hobby Lobby's brand right now. I can't remember the name at the moment. You can buy Glycerin in your health food store too. I don't smoke but I know a lot of e-cig smokers use glycerin for something in their cigarettes. I guess you can buy 100% pure glycerin from e-cig sellers.

Yes, you can use Johnson's baby shampoo. I used Johnson's almost exclusively for a long time. I switched over to Equate recently because it's the same and I liked the price better. Johnson's plain baby shampoo is just fine. I avoid the ones with the special scents too like lavender or eucalyptus.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I posted pictures awhile back and they came out huge. I am a computer geek. You would think I know the tips & tricks. I don't know either, lol. I loved your desk. I had fun snooping. I am trying to figure out what is in the spray bottle. I love your blender idea.
Too funny! The cloudy liquid is actually Glossy Accents in a Hobby Lobby glue bottle; the tip of the Ranger bottle always clogs on me and I ripped it trying to open it back up with a pin. I like the Hobby Lobby bottle much better.

One of the spray bottles is water and the other is rubbing alcohol which is fun for a lot of things. I mist paper with alcohol before embossing it with a folder or texture plate; it gives the most gorgeous crisp impressions and dries slightly more rigid. The alcohol immediately penetrates the paper fibers, and it dries instantly without changing the finish on the paper.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to start playing along with the What's on your Workdesk Wednesday blog and snoop and be snooped!
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post
Too funny! The cloudy liquid is actually Glossy Accents in a Hobby Lobby glue bottle; the tip of the Ranger bottle always clogs on me and I ripped it trying to open it back up with a pin. I like the Hobby Lobby bottle much better.

One of the spray bottles is water and the other is rubbing alcohol which is fun for a lot of things. I mist paper with alcohol before embossing it with a folder or texture plate; it gives the most gorgeous crisp impressions and dries slightly more rigid. The alcohol immediately penetrates the paper fibers, and it dries instantly without changing the finish on the paper.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to start playing along with the What's on your Workdesk Wednesday blog and snoop and be snooped!
;)
Thank you for satisfying my nosiness, lol. I hate my glossy accents bottle. I accidentally popped the whole top off my bottle. I like your idea of using a different bottle.

I also have a spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol on my desk. I have another spray bottle full of water. I do the same thing too spray my CS before embossing.

I think you should do WOYWW. I love to snoop at desks, lol. My desk is always neat as a pin. I would be so boring. If I don't keep it neat I will have inky and glued cats, lol. I came home from errands today to find one of cats had knocked over my lamp so she could sun under it. She was lying on my markers and very sharp color pencils. I was so mad at her. I don't think she will do that again. My DH gave the cats baths today. I think she associates lying on expensive markers as bath time punishment.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stampers

Here's what I did. I had a bunch of empty glitter vials, but pill bottles will do, I glued the loop side of a square of Velcro into the cap of each, and then bought a square if felt for .49 cents at. Joanne's, cut it into little squares and circles and attached one onto each base. I ended up with a lot of Stampers for little cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

Default Homemade ink blending tool

Here's what I did. I made a dozen for under $2. I got a bunch of old pill bottles and old glitter vials, cut small squares and circles of the looped side of the Velcro and hot glued them into the lids, then bought a one foot square of felt from Joanne's for .49 cents, cut it into small squares and circles and stuck them on to the Velcro. Works perfectly and so cheap you can have one for every color. Just start saving your empty bottles or go to Tap Plastics where they sell empty vials cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Could recycle wooden blocks from remounting rubber stamps as they alreadt have the finger holds...
just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought those round sponges that SU and CTMH sell...then cut them like pieces of pie. I get about 8-10 pieces from each sponge. The fit perfectly in the little round jewelry/bead holders from Joann's and I use those meal binder clips as the wood part.

You can label each pie for color or like I do, I put them color side down in the case and know exactly which sponge I need. Just flip open the little tab and grab it with the binder clip, no inky fingers or velcro. Works great and is cheap!

I stack two of the bead holders on top of each other and stick the tip metal end into the hole in the middle, takes up very little room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

On my blog, HERE, I have a post on how I made my own ink blending tools. For handles, I bought a pack of wooden drawer knobs froma DIY store. I could have got plastic cheaper, but wanted wood. I've also read of people using large Chess pieces from an old game as handles.

By the way, I used up small blocks from unmounting my woodmounted stamps, but any small blocks will do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #73  
Inking Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slightly off topic, but I'm new to using Disress Inks. Does anyone use the triangular makeup sponges? Or is that the wrong kind of sponge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraHannahView Post
Slightly off topic, but I'm new to using Disress Inks. Does anyone use the triangular makeup sponges? Or is that the wrong kind of sponge?
I don't think there really is a "wrong kind of sponge", it's just that each kind works a little differently. Myself, I don't like the makeup sponges for Distress Ink techniques, because I find it really hard to blend with them. But, those sponges are really reasonably priced, so there's no harm in you trying them for yourself. Especially if you already use them for makeup and have some in the house
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #75  
Inking Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Cheryl! I didn't have any, but picked up a big pack cheaply at the drug store. I do also have two of the small, round blenders with the four sponges. I think I'll try the makeup sponges. If I use them first I may find I like them. But if things aren't working I'll try the others instead of giving up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #76  
Glitter Guru

Cheryl is right. Every different kind of sponge will yield a different result and none are "wrong". Have fun experimenting!

And what's up with this thread? Why is it coming up on my screen so wide?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted round before he came out with them. I thought it would help keep edges soft. I didn't have any empty thread spools ( my first thought to substitute) so I went to joanns to see if they had wooden spools. They didn't but I found and bought a bag of wood cup shapes like these Wood Shapes-Candle Cups | Jo-Ann. Then attached Velcro to the solid bottom and put the replacement round pads on them. I decided it was cheap enough to not change the pads as I was worried they would tear so I just made a bunch. I wrote the color family on each. I did buy a couple of the round official bases for these. I find I like the wider part of my wooden cup base that I'm holding better than a stamp handle on the official holder. My hand cramps up with the smaller stamp handle.

I did try makeup sponges. I seem to remember reading that Tim Holtz said the makeup sponges absorbed a lot more ink so you use a lot more product. I don't know about that but personally I couldn't blend as well, I kept getting hard edges when I wanted a soft look. That doesn't mean that you can't get it to work. And you might get just the effect you are looking for with that approach. I just have too heavy of a hand to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes