Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Button #5 Sizzlits retiring

I keep looking at the Button #5 Sizzlits and wonder if I would use it. Do you use it or would you rather use a real button?

I tried to search in the gallery for it, but all that comes up are cards with real buttons on them.

Please tell me pros and cons and show me any examples you have posted for me to see.

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two button sizzlits from SU, at least I think they are both sizzllits! I do like them, but forget about them. I am not much help, but you made me think I should get them out and use them!

I have not used them much. Still like the look of them. Maybe I should make up a bunch of them in different colors and store them in plain sight. That might help me use them.

Hope some others have some better ideas for you! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

The one that is retiring is the one that makes smaller buttons, I believe. It is also the one that has holes where a needle would sew a button down. I am hoping more people will respond to this. I do not use buttons because they are so thick and all my cards go through the mail. That is why I wondered if this is a GOOD substitute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I saw recently that paper buttons are recommended for the Operation Write Home cards, but I wonder how deep the embossing is on the paper button.

I, too, wonder if it's a good substitute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I am disappointed that there are not replies to this thread. Since virtually no one is interested, I guess that means that no one uses paper buttons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I bought that die many years ago--not from SU though. The advantage to it is that it's not so bulky on a card. Plus, you can use the cardstock from your card for a perfect match. I like to cut several and glue them together so you have the look of a real button. It's still not as bulky as a real button. I've heard of people using something like Glossy Accents to make it look shiny like a real button, but I've never done that. What I'd like to have is a button die that is between the sizes of the round buttons, maybe
5/8" or 3/4". Btw, the embossing on it quite nice, imo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

You can stack the paper buttons to make a thicker button if you want.

I prefer the button embosslit (not retiring) because it adds some nice dimension (but you'll have to put your own holes in if you want them).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use paper buttons all the time and love them. I have Buttons #5 and the embossing is reasonably deep. If you like a plain button, you'll like them. I like a button with more design to it so I most often use my Button Button stamp set from SU or my Button Up set from PTI and punch or die cut them out. PTI's Button Up set is made to be used with a one inch punch. The SU set has buttons of various sizes and some work with punches or dies and some need to be fussy cut.

Like I said, I like the look of the designs on the stamped buttons. Sometimes I stack a few layers of CS to make them thicker and sometimes I layer them on top of a punch or die cut of the coaster material PTI sells for this purpose. I don't usually use real thread on them, either. I like to use my Versamark pen to emboss "thread" on them or I draw on the thread with a thick Signo gel pen.

But now you've got me thinking about my Buttons #5, I'll have to take it out and play with it.

Anyway, HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I used my Sew Suite ( I am not home, so I think that is what is called) stamp set from SU for a card this past weekend. It was the first time I had used that set and it may be two years old! It has that cute button card stamp.

I used my button embosslit because of this thread! Yes, one is a sizzlit and one is a embosslit. I have both button dies from SU.

I can certainly see using the button embosslit to replace buttons, especially for mailing. I tend to use real buttons and mail anyway. But if you'd rather not have bulk, the button sizzlit makes cute paper buttons!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-01-2013 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes