Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cutterpede

I'm looking to replace my small 12" Fiskars cutter and noticed that Hobby Lobby has Cutterpede cutters on sale this week. I would like some feedback before purchasing as to pros and cons of this cutter. My Fiskars tends to cut a little off at the very end of a cut. I have contacted the company and they even sent me a new one, but I am starting to notice the same problem after using it a few months. I'm just tired of messing with it. I have a large rotary cutter, but find myself using the small one the most cause it is more convenient to have right beside me as I sit and make cards. If you own a Cutterpede how often do you have to replace the blades? How expensive are the blades? Does it cut smoothly and straight? Is it easy to cut different sizes? Are the measurements easy to read?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I hated my Fiskars so much I gave it away. It never made a nice clean cut when I need to trim just a little off my paper or photos. Drove me crazy. I replaced it with a Cutterpede which I have so far been very happy with. You will need to replace the cutting pad occasionally but it can be taken out and flipped over and end to edn (4 different positions) before you actually have to buy a new one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I don't own the cutterpede, so I can't answer your questions- but I went to HL yesterday to buy the advertised cutter (the larger one) this is my experience:

The large cutter was much larger than I imagined it being. It would take up a lot of my storage space, or have to be left out. The HL I went to did not have any refill blades.

I ended up getting a Zision cutter which was smaller (can fit a 12 x 12) and less expensive even without the sale and came with both a cutting and scoring blade.. I had read great things about it on joann.com but they didn't have it in stock- just the refills. HL also had refill blades for it 2 blades for $4, so I picked up a pack of those for cutting and scoring. I used it both for cutting and scoring last night and it does both in a perfectly straight line. The blades change in seconds (I actually put both on, and have them on the opposite ends of the cutter, and so far it works fine). The Zision has a rule on both the cutting part and the top and bottom of the base. The cutting ruler lifts up so you don't have to wiggle your paper under it. I cut about 30 cards last night to practice and had all straight cuts and no problems.

I can't say how it does over time, but I'm glad I got this one instead of the larger cutterpede, because of both space and price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I have a zision but the cutting ruler doesn't lift up. :( and just fyi the cutterpede is sold at walmrt for $18 US, but they don't carry the extra blades or cutting strips. cutterpede is also cool in that they have wavy and deckle cutting blades available, too. it's just a matter of finding them and replacement anything for the cutterpede that is so difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

After not being able to get refil blades for my fiskars one week, I bought the cutterpede with a 40% coupon. Not in love with it. It feels awkward, I have to double cut sometimes, and have already had to rotate the pad under the blade. I would rather have my fiskars working like it did when I bought it. Gonna do a bit of research and start over with a new brand maybe.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Don't do it!!

I took a weekend scrapbook seminar over the summer sponsered by EK Success (the company that makes the Cutterpede). Aftering using the cutter during the weekend, I thought it was great, and bought one (for about $60 CDN plus 15% tax).

I noticed after a few months that I really had to push down on the blade to get it to cut. I flipped the cutting strip, got a new blade, etc... still worked crappy.

Then about a month later, I noticed it was cutting WAY crooked. I was also really sick of how hard I had to push... I noticed then that the cutter had bowed down in the middle. There's nothing to support it from underneath against the table, and with the use it gets in my house, it just didn't hold up.

It was the most expensive cutter I have ever bought. I am very disappointed, and almost threw it out, but decided to hang on to it and write the company about it. Still haven't heard back from them.

The measurements are hard to read, especially the 5 1/2" inch mark, because the swing-out arm folds down right there (you can make a right angle to you can cut a "perfect" 6x6) and there is no mark for it. The 5 1/2" mark isn't important to scrappers, but to us card makers, it's vital!

I have a little Fiskars trimmer that is great for going places, and I just bought the one that is in the SU catty. It works fine, and I got it for $17 CDN on sale at the LSS.

I agree that the Fiskars ones aren't great for little cuts (like when you just need to trim a tiny bit off of a layer or something), but it still works better than the Cutterpede.

I hope someone else can suggest another cutter for you if you aren't happy with the Fiskars... I just wanted to warn you not to get a Cutterpede!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I use my cutterpede for scoring. I keep the scoring blade in it all the time and just rotate it with my cutter so I'm not switching blades. I love it for scoring. I even have the new smaller one now too for when my table is too messy to fit the longer one on! ROFL! I have the deckel blade too and it's just ok, but way better than the big old Fiskars Rotary! HTH Arlynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have one...not the greatest thing but it is better than the carl that I had. I am still on the hunt for the perfect cutter, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I loved my Cutterpede! Best cutter I ever had. Sadly, the ruler arm cracked off and the store I bought it at had discontinued it. I'd buy another in a second if I could find one around here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I love mine also!! My ruler arm broke off also, so I just took it to walmart and exchanged it. Great deal on them there. The only thing I can't figure out is the ruler on the right side of the blade. I don't really know why you would need it. Anyone know what you use that one for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I hate my fiskars, but I got this cutterpede and took it back the next day. I hated it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm liking mine

I really like my "cutterpede 12" For a while it seemed to have to cut twice
to get a good cut, until I replaced the cutting mat below. I also use a school
cutter for heavy duty cutting, and for cutting more then 1 sheet of cardstock. I'm not sure if the new cutterpede has a new "right" side, because mine just has the measurements on the right hand side. I have had no problem with my left sided extender breaking yet, and I've haqd it for a year, it is interesting to know they have wavy cutter blades also, which I don't know if you can get that from any other company, except CM
Carolyn in MN:smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like my Cutterpede! The replacement blades are cheap, only $2.99. The decorative blades don't work so well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my cutter. I was sick of my Fiskars one and went to my Mom's scrap store and they let me try 3 or 4 different brands. I fell in love with the cutterpead. It cuts straight and clean lines. It also has other blades. The blades are not expensive but I do tend to have a hard time finding them. But when they finally come in I buy a couple at a time! I would buy one again and think when I see a little one I will get one too. I would say try something if you are unhappy with your current one!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had my 15" Cutterpede since last summer and much prefer it to the Fiskars cutters. I haven't needed to change the blade yet and would like to get the score blade; can't find them locally, but will order one on-line soon. Eventually, I would like to get a heavy-duty wood/metal paper cutter with the arm that swings down - this would be great for cutting numerous sheets of cardstock at one time, or the thicker chipboard. JMHO

kimB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

For several years I had the large Fiskars rotary cutter, which came with a 12" cutter. I loved the large cutter, and the 12" one was ok for crops and such. However, my large one suffered a fatal accident this fall. My 12" one had developed a problem with "snowy" edges. I replaced the blade 3 times. I tried pushing harder. I also noticed that when I cut 12" paper on it, it would leave a little dent at one end of the paper. Finally, the end of the cut started going a little crooked. I looked around, and really didn't want another slide cutter. I picked up the Cutterpede at Walmart for Christmas after hearing mixed reviews on it. I just kept the box and receipt in case. It took a few days to really get the hang of it. I don't get a straight cut if I try to cut from bottom to top, but it's great from top to bottom. My only complaints about it now are that I wish there was a measuring mark at 5 1/2" (like someone else said), and I wish I could pop the arm on and off. I find that I have to swing the arm out for almost every cut because of the lip that is on the arm when it is folded in. That annoys me a little because sometimes I don't need to use the arm, but it's in the way. For me, it's a good cutter because it was inexpensive and cuts well, and I plan to get a heavier duty one for home-use and relegate my Cutterpede to crop-use.
Reply With Quote Likes