Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the CKC convention classes I attended, the same thing happened to the instructor, but she just threw hers out! Its a shame, especially for the value, but you def have to read all the laws on TSA every time u take a trip b/c they change. I travel for business too, so I understand the hecticness of airports and all that...At least you still have your tool.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortuntanely, these rules and regulations aren't new. I'm glad the TSA's were doing their job. If someone threw the CAD at a person, I'm sure it would do some injury. I don't travel by plane with anything, I check everything. Sorry it has happened, but the rules and regulations are on the internet everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #43  
Glitter Guru

I've been watching this thread and chuckling... i'm sorry about the CAD issue, but amazed that you got away with scissors the first time! OMG!

Whenever we go on a trip, we check the TSA website... at the time where NO WATER/NO Lotion/chapstick, etc was allowed, i noticed some other strange things that WERE okay... for instance- you could bring a corkscrew, your cigar cutter (circular razor to snip off the end of your stogey)... and your personal lubricant! We about died... the party we coulda had on that flight....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I can understand why they did it. I would much rather defend myself with my CAD then with my sharp scissors, blades or paper piercer! So I can see why they would think it was a dangerous weapon and not the others! HELLO!!! Sorry, that is just rediculous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

As much as it bothers me that you couldn't take the CAD with you, the way he talked to you bothers me even more. My experience has been that MANY of the TSA people have lousy attitudes. (Sorry to any SCSers who may work for that agency.) I am about the most easy going person around and yet have been talked to and treated like dirt by more than one of these people. I know their job is important but they need to realize that the great majority of people they are dealing with are honest, good people who don't deserve the treatment they often receive. I could go on and on but will just say I'm sorry you were treated so poorly.

Judy H.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #46  
Glitter Queen

This is one of the many reasons why I hate to fly and prefer to drive if possible. My sister-in-law and I recently took a weekend trip to Arizona. I hadn't flown in years so I logged onto the TSA website for the do's and do not's. I wasn't sure if we were checking our bags or not, so I packed my toiletries in a ziplock bag. Lotions and gels were in the travel size bottles. The only thing that didn't meet regulation was my hairspray and my body spray which was a 3.7 oz bottle over 3/4 empty. Well we get to the airport and found out that they charged $15 to check one bag ( we had forgot about that) so we said that we would just carry on. Security took my hairspray (no big deal) and off we went. Coming home, security stopped us and I handed them my ziplock bag. The woman asked me if the stuff was for both my sister-in-law and me. I said no that it was mine. She tartly replied that I had too much stuff in the bag and proceeded to dump everything out. She confiscated the body spray because the bottle was .7 oz over the limit. I asked her why when the bottle was over half empty and she said that they have to go by the bottle size not the contents. Blew me away--common sense would say "it's less than 3 oz".
Thank goodness it was just something like that and not my CAD. I would have been LIVID!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #47  
all
Matboard Maniac

Sorry to hear about your recent experience. I fondly refer to the TSA as �thousands standing around� Probably some guy on a �power trip�. It always makes me wonder about the scraping cruises that they advertise. How would one ever get all of their supplies including their wardrobe for a week into one suitcase?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry for your experience, but as someone who has just flown five times in the last four days, I take nothing anymore but a book and a magazine in my carry-on as well as my laptop. It is very inconsistent from one airport to another and I gave up. I have been told I'm going to board the plane if I don't stop arguing with them so many times. My favorite was the day I was told I had to take my sweatshirt off or be subject to additional screening, I asked why and was told it was puffy. Well, I don't have anything on underneath it and I'm just puffy!! I had to go thru the wand screening and everyone around got to be told I had an underwire bra on!

Liquids - yes, the container must be less than 3 oz, doesn't matter how much is actually in it. It must be a quart sized bag, nothing larger and sometimes they will question a sandwich bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

That is SO ridiculous!! I could inflict WAY more injury to someone with my laptop than I could with my crop-a-dile!!

Sorry that you had that experience, but thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #50  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
The CAD is large enough & heavy enough to hit someone on the head or beat them to death. Therefore Security can consider it a weapon.
Sorry this happened.
So is my laptop. Seriously. I could do WAY more damage with my laptop than the EYELASH CURLER they confiscated from my mother or the 99� fingernail clippers I lose about every 5th flight even though the TSA list says they are now OK to fly with. There's a little clause that the end decision is at the discretion of each individual agent. So if you get one who's had a bad day or is on a power trip, nothing is safe......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gosh that just seems so dumb, length requirement? I don't think I would have attempted to bring any of that stuff with me, I mean you are lucky they didn't make a big deal about the scissors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Gosh! Never knew my original venting would create such conversation! I totally understand the safety aspect of it - although I'm a little worried about the rest of you ;) because you are way more creative in ways to use it as a weapon that I ever could have been - just kidding. I think the part that upset me the most is the way that I was treated by the TSA agent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #53  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
Gosh that just seems so dumb, length requirement? I don't think I would have attempted to bring any of that stuff with me, I mean you are lucky they didn't make a big deal about the scissors!
Sounds like a rule made by a man, to me. After all, they are the ones who seem to be so obsessed with "length", as the emails that end up landing in my spam folder attest, LOL! :twisted::mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Sounds like a rule made by a man, to me. After all, they are the ones who seem to be so obsessed with "length", as the emails that end up landing in my spam folder attest, LOL! :twisted::mrgreen:
ROTFLOL!

I came back to catch up on this thread. I started think about it and maybe we ought to start digging through TSA's trash. Sounds like we could get a a lot of good stuff. CADs, scissors, knitting needles, etc. What do they do with all that stuff? Donate it? Blow it up because it might be a bomb? Or does it all just go to a landfill to be added to the other dangerous items? So much for being more green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

Blimey what a palaver. I don't take anything in hand luggage which could be construed as "dangerous" anymore. Mind you in the UK and Europe we can't even take bottled water through security, we have to buy it at extortionate rates in the departure area.

We are also treated like criminals when we come into your lovely country - it really can put you off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
ROTFLOL!

I came back to catch up on this thread. I started think about it and maybe we ought to start digging through TSA's trash. Sounds like we could get a a lot of good stuff. CADs, scissors, knitting needles, etc. What do they do with all that stuff? Donate it? Blow it up because it might be a bomb? Or does it all just go to a landfill to be added to the other dangerous items? So much for being more green.
This is a great idea! Save the earth and score some goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes