Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Cricut...Do I need one? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/cricut-do-i-need-one-391628/)

jody5gray 11-30-2008 07:30 PM

I have both-baby bug & expression

I have both cricut machines. I also have a big shot. Will not be getting rid of any. The baby bug is great for taking places. I have most of the disney cart. I am going to make some wall hanging for my little "princess for christmas.

Scamper64 12-01-2008 11:26 AM

I, too, have been debating and wondering about the Cricut. One of the co-owners of a local scrapbooking store told me that one of her customers got rid of all of her cartridges but one because the Cricut could be hooked up to a computer just like the Wishblade. Is that even true? (The co-owner uses a Wishblade and was just going on the customer's word.)

Badger53186 12-01-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 11766248)
I also have the original Cricut and I love it. I have over 20 cartridges now and I especially love that the shape of the SU top note die is one of the shapes that you can cut in different sizes for matting...it is so awesome. You will love it if you get it.
Blessings.

Could you tell me which cartridge does this? thanks!

Badger53186 12-01-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186 (Post 12230995)
Could you tell me which cartridge does this? thanks!

duh! sorry. apparently I already asked this and it was answered! Thanks! I thought my question sounded familiar! sheesh!

jody5gray 12-01-2008 12:26 PM

cart

There is a program called design studio but you still need the individual cart. the only die cutting machine that doesn't need cart is the pazzles machine. Hope this helps.

stampermomof2 12-14-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 11766248)
I also have the original Cricut and I love it. I have over 20 cartridges now and I especially love that the shape of the SU top note die is one of the shapes that you can cut in different sizes for matting...it is so awesome. You will love it if you get it.
Blessings.

What is the name of the cartridge with the top note on it? Do you use the other shapes on it, too?

babydal57 12-14-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampermomof2 (Post 12368481)
What is the name of the cartridge with the top note on it? Do you use the other shapes on it, too?

That cartridge is Accent Essentials. I actually use a lot of the shapes on it. I got it as part of package when I bought my Expression machine.

stampermomof2 12-14-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57 (Post 12369480)
That cartridge is Accent Essentials. I actually use a lot of the shapes on it. I got it as part of package when I bought my Expression machine.

Oh, good! That's the one I'm getting, too! Thanks!

OakvilleMom 12-14-2008 05:08 PM

So I was convinced!! :-) I am getting a Cricut Expression for Christmas from my DH. I was able to get it on sale last week at Mike's for 369-much better than their usual 499 price here in Canada.

I will be getting some carts in my stocking! Wootwoot!

kdriesen 12-15-2008 07:17 AM

I did it!

After reading this thread and the post about someone buying hers for really cheap from scrapyland.com, I did it. My husband will probably disown me, but, in my defense, I did get the baby bug and not the expression (He would have probably killed me if I got the expression!). But it was only $140, and no tax or shipping- I was afraid I would never get it this cheap again! So, here's to happy cutting!

sprtchick 12-15-2008 01:59 PM

www.customcrops.com has the expression for today only $219.00 with FOUR cartridges...what an amazing deal!

Just love to enable others..lol

cmcjen 12-15-2008 04:28 PM

I originally thought I didn't NEED the Cricut and bought a Silhouette instead. I wouldn't have to buy cartirdges and that would be the only expense I made. Well, I was wrong. I bought the Cricut and have used it more in the past 2 months that I ever used the Silhoutette in 2 years. I absolutely love it! I'm so happy to just use it and not have to learn anything on the computer.
It's the best purchase I've made

mbossy 12-16-2008 09:01 AM

I'm completely new to the cricut, have loved my big shot but love the idea of sizing and tweaking, making my own rubber stamps, etc.

DH is getting me a Cricut for Christmas :D but I told him I'd like to research the different models first.

I'd like to use the sure cuts a lot software (for Mac), can they be used on all three machines?

Create (Never seen before)
Personal Electronic Cutter (have glimpsed this at my local Walmart)
Expression (Seen at Walmart also)

Any advantages besides making larger die cuts to the Expression? I'm so new to Cricut I don't even know any of the nicknames everyone uses for this machine :oops:

Thanks for sharing any info ;-)

mbossy 12-16-2008 09:46 AM

oops! One more question for ya. Will I be able to use wallpaper samples in my Cricut? I have a ton of them and love using them. TIA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbossy (Post 12386940)
I'm completely new to the cricut, have loved my big shot but love the idea of sizing and tweaking, making my own rubber stamps, etc.

DH is getting me a Cricut for Christmas :D but I told him I'd like to research the different models first.

I'd like to use the sure cuts a lot software (for Mac), can they be used on all three machines?

Create (Never seen before)
Personal Electronic Cutter (have glimpsed this at my local Walmart)
Expression (Seen at Walmart also)

Any advantages besides making larger die cuts to the Expression? I'm so new to Cricut I don't even know any of the nicknames everyone uses for this machine :oops:

Thanks for sharing any info ;-)

dimpz1230 12-16-2008 10:14 AM

what different sizes

i am also considering getting a cricut but at this point i am so confused on all the models - cricut personal, cricut expression... help!:)

teepee 12-16-2008 11:45 AM

- For the ladies in Canada -

Found a Cricut Expression at my local Wal-Mart for 297$.
Hope this helps.

AngelinYTH 12-16-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee (Post 12388689)
- For the ladies in Canada -

Found a Cricut Expression at my local Wal-Mart for 297$.
Hope this helps.

Haha - I was just coming on here to post that I bought a Cricut Expression at Walmart for $300 (in Canada)!! It came with the Plantin Schoolbok Alphabet. When it was selling for $400, I think it also came with the Accent Essentials but I'd rather have $100 off!!

Off to play with it...

AngelinYTH 12-17-2008 06:40 AM

I just read that Walmart's Cricut Expression will soon come with the new cartridge Home Decor. It's really pretty!

bdeyes9 12-17-2008 06:53 AM

YES YES you DO need one!! My suggestion is you get the Expression. I am
a card maker too..I got the Baby Bug last year...and was sorry I didn't just get the Expression..I am keeping my Baby cus I have the rolling tote and plan to take Cricut classes at My LSS.

scrappingmelissa 12-17-2008 07:12 AM

Does anyone have the new blade yet? The one that can cut through chipboard? is it worth the 40 dollar investment?

stampermomof2 12-17-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissa (Post 12396437)
Does anyone have the new blade yet? The one that can cut through chipboard? is it worth the 40 dollar investment?

I have not heard of this. Do you have a link to where I can read up on this information?

queentomas 12-17-2008 07:41 AM

I saw the blade for 20 bucks at customcrops.com

scrappingmelissa 12-17-2008 08:28 AM

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/t...ookieSupport=1

stampermomof2 12-17-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissa (Post 12397062)

Thanks for the link!

I haven't even gotten my toy yet (Mr. Brown should be coming any moment though!) and I keep finding out about other cool things I have to get now, too - Design Studio, Jukebox, certain cartridges, and now a blade that cuts through chipboard! I sure hope I get some Christmas money!

djuseless 12-22-2008 09:57 AM

My DH bought me one for Christmas too. He gave it to me on Friday since it was a snowy stay inside kind of weekend. OMG, it is absolutely amazing! It is so easy to use. I made some cards, little gift bags, Christmas tags with snowflakes and envelopes to fit the gift cards.

My Expression came with Plantin Schoolbook, Accent Essentials, Cuttin' Up and Locker Talk. I also bought Paper Pups (Love IT!) and I have Home Accents, Mickey Font, Tags, Bags, Boxes & More, Printing 101 and My Community on the way.

My DH asked for a demo of it yesterday evening. He was so impressed with it! I am so glad that I own it! Once I get comfortable with it, I want to make a design for my craft room using the vinyl.

I have bought cartridges from Oh My Crafts and eBay. There are so many good deals out there on cartridges that there is no reason to pay alot for any of them. I just won Mickey Font from eBay, new in package, for $20.50 with free shipping. What a deal! I will be working on a scrapbook from our Disney trip in September so I had to have that one.

Have fun with your new toy! I will be!

chika87 11-28-2009 08:20 AM

I think buying the expression and scal have been one of the best purchases of my scrapbook/craft life. I love it.

split-pea 11-28-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampermomof2 (Post 12368481)

It's on Storybook too. It's one of the shadow shapes.

MarshHen 11-29-2009 05:45 AM

I have the baby bug and I love it for cards and scrapbooking since I mainly do 8x8 and 6x6 albums only. I recently bought a Cuttlebug and love the fact that I can now add beautiful embossing to my diecuts, which make my cards and scrapbooking really come alive. Since I can cut scalloped and plain circles and squares with my Cricut for layering, I ordered a set of the Nestie Label 8, and it should be arriving any day. Now, I can't even imagine how I could live without both of my Bugs, lol.

creatingisfun 11-30-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuseless (Post 12447753)
My DH bought me one for Christmas too. He gave it to me on Friday since it was a snowy stay inside kind of weekend. OMG, it is absolutely amazing! It is so easy to use. I made some cards, little gift bags, Christmas tags with snowflakes and envelopes to fit the gift cards.

My Expression came with Plantin Schoolbook, Accent Essentials, Cuttin' Up and Locker Talk. I also bought Paper Pups (Love IT!) and I have Home Accents, Mickey Font, Tags, Bags, Boxes & More, Printing 101 and My Community on the way.

My DH asked for a demo of it yesterday evening. He was so impressed with it! I am so glad that I own it! Once I get comfortable with it, I want to make a design for my craft room using the vinyl.

I have bought cartridges from Oh My Crafts and eBay. There are so many good deals out there on cartridges that there is no reason to pay alot for any of them. I just won Mickey Font from eBay, new in package, for $20.50 with free shipping. What a deal! I will be working on a scrapbook from our Disney trip in September so I had to have that one.

Have fun with your new toy! I will be!

wooohoo DIane, I love myne ;)

Doris B 12-12-2009 10:53 AM

I've actually never seen a cricut but have heard what they can do, sounds fabulous!

Before I invest in more dies for my big shot, keeping in mind I may eventually get the cricut, I am curious which is best used for the cricut and the big shot.

I presume a person should keep the alphas for the cricut, and embossing folders for the big shot. But would like more advice on that and which dies you prefer using in the big shot?

Also I see different sizes of cricut, if you get a larger one can you still cut the smaller images, without wasting extra cardstock?

Does the cricut cut SU cardstock?

creatingisfun 12-12-2009 11:50 AM

i think 1/2 inch is the smallest, and yea it does cut through SU cardstock and PTI
I don't have a cricut but I do have a cuttlebug when embossing and then I use the quickutz for my nesties.
and the cricut for everything else.
what I love is that I have found some cartridges that have dies that are similar to nesties so no need to buy ;)

stamphappy1650 12-13-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris B (Post 15703351)
Before I invest in more dies for my big shot, keeping in mind I may eventually get the cricut, I am curious which is best used for the cricut and the big shot.

I presume a person should keep the alphas for the cricut, and embossing folders for the big shot. But would like more advice on that and which dies you prefer using in the big shot?

Also I see different sizes of cricut, if you get a larger one can you still cut the smaller images, without wasting extra cardstock?

I have an expression so my answers are based on using this machine
Yes you can cut smaller images and you can adjust where you cut and the paper size so you can use scraps

I love my BS because it so simple - no figuring out whre to cut, making test cuts to check the size etc. but the expression is better if you are making a large number of the same item. Also, even though the Expression will cut chipboard, I prefer to use my BS.

As for dies - I don't buy the boxes because they are a lot smaller than you think. But I love movers and shapers (especially when paired with the matcing SU punches for layering), frames, flowers. I buy dies that I know I will use over and over.

Doris B 12-13-2009 05:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, i didn't realize the Cricut would cut chipboard, is there a certain thickness limitation?

stamphappy1650 12-13-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris B (Post 15706955)
Thanks for the advice, i didn't realize the Cricut would cut chipboard, is there a certain thickness limitation?

There probably is but I don't know what it is. You have to buy a different blade and you have to make several cuts to get through it. I just don't bother unless it's a shape I can't do without. I find that it's easier to use the cardboard that come with paper packs. I cut out the same shape a couple of times and then glue them all together if I want a thick piece.

If you get one, you'll need to track what setting works best with what weight of paper. You can get a lot of advice on settings, but I find it's just as easy to use some junk paper and see what settings work best. You have to consider blade height, pressure and speed. It's not hard to figure out once you get the hang of it, but you can trash some paper so I keep a supply of paper that I don't like for making test cuts. I can now get rid of all that paper from slabs that I wasn't using.