Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Cricut...Do I need one? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/cricut-do-i-need-one-391628/)

simvan 10-20-2008 01:20 PM

Cricut...Do I need one?

Hi everyone...

I need your input.

I'm a scrapper and a card maker. I have a Cuttlebug and I use it for my Nesties too. I have the old red Sizzix and have one set of letter fonts. It's a pain in the neck though to do letters with.

I would like a machine that does letters and numbers as well as different shapes for my scrapbooking.

I read the threads on the Cricut and some of the new ones on the Slice...which I don't think people are raving about.

I'm getting a bonus from work and I'm going to treat myself to something just for me. I can buy clothes and household items any time so I don't need that.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen

Duddlebug 10-20-2008 01:25 PM

Karen, I've owned my Cricut for 3 days and I can tell you that I LOVE it already. I also own the Cuttlebug and use Sizzix dies with it too.
I LOVE how you can change the size of the item your cutting. That is what sold me on the Cricut.

Just my 2 cents :)
Dawn

babyclaire 10-20-2008 01:33 PM

My friend told me that Cricut users have designed the punches from SU using there Cricut machine. I went on the Cricut web site and saw what they are making. It's pretty amazing. I guess there will always be someone out there who can get around the system.... Carol...Don't have a Cricut by the way.....

creatingisfun 10-20-2008 01:38 PM

i have one and i love it! especially if im making a big amount of crafts and need the same image alot. instead of cutting a stamp out, i just turn out my cricut ;)
great investment, for sure!

thescrapmaster 10-20-2008 01:45 PM

I love my cricut!!! I only have the little one and it is big enough for me.

sprtchick 10-21-2008 10:33 AM

I also have the original Cricut and I love it. I have over 20 cartridges now and I especially love that the shape of the SU top note die is one of the shapes that you can cut in different sizes for matting...it is so awesome. You will love it if you get it.
Blessings.

airbornewife 10-21-2008 03:55 PM

I had the original and got the expressions one when it was released.. love it! I used it today to cut out a whole bunch of the shapes that resemble the top note bigz die and a bunch of the grass design to use as hair for the frankenstein faces. Sure did make it easy for me to get them all cut pronto.

I did see on craigslist that someone has an expressions machine for $175.

I do not know this person, only seen her listing. I did email to ask about the software that she mentioned and received a speedy reply.

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/art/886872528.html

Pam

53queenbee 10-21-2008 03:59 PM

I have the numero uno since the first day they came out. I have worn out the door (just stubborn at times) but I would never give it up. I have saved waayyy too much money by not buying die cut and letter stickers. The group I scrap with used mine until they all got one for Christmas. We pool the cartridges on the funky ones but we each have our own alphabets. Love it and it is worth every penny-even tho I paid $249.00 for the original one what 5/6 years ago.

simvan 10-21-2008 05:11 PM

You ladies have been great...I just know I need one!!!!!!!!!!

I know they are more expensive here in Canada but I think everything is and if you want it, well just get it, life is short.

Now I just have to decided which one to get!

Thanks for your help.

Karen

OakvilleMom 10-21-2008 06:51 PM

I am in Canada too and have been toying with the idea of getting one. We are heading to the US over Christmas-but I don't think that a machine will travel well with all of our other gifts..lol. I think I'd rather splurge the $$ in Canada and know that if I need to take it back I could, if there was a defect.

However I'm still not sure that I'm getting one-just thinking about it.

stamphappy1650 10-22-2008 10:16 AM

I'm still holding off. I have a Big Shot and have way to many dies to start over. The new dies for the BS are great. I don't know how long I can hold off but so far, so good.

Allicat 10-22-2008 10:22 AM

I LOVE my Cricut!!! It is the best little thing ever, the possiblities are endless.

stamper272001 10-22-2008 02:42 PM

Hi everyone

I have a cricut and although I dont use it all that much - when I do - I LOVE IT!! My 11 year old daughter is a whiz at using it! lol

Just a question for those who do have one and have the cartridge that cuts what looks like the "top note" from SU - is it the accent essential cartridge that has this?

Cheers

Karen

peebsmama 10-22-2008 06:06 PM

I bought one a little over a month ago because, like you, I hated cutting out die cuts one letter at a time. And those dies are expensive and only come in one size. With the Cricut, you can cut your letters in any size and add shadows. I also have a shape cartridge (Accent Essentials) which I think I use more that the font cartridges.

Before I made the commitment to buy, I found someone who had one and asked if she would give me a demo and let me try it out. It was SO easy to use and I could see many possibilities for it.

I got mine at Scrapyland.com. They had the very best price of anywhere online ($149 for the original) and free shipping. The customer service was great and I received it in less than 3 days from date of order.

For cartridges, I would suggest CreativeExpress.com. They are always having sales on these. Right now, I think it's 3 for $99. Considering the stores sell them for $89 a piece, that's a tremendous deal.

ltrow36 10-23-2008 06:07 PM

If I had extra money that I could spend on whatever I wanted--then I would certainly buy the circut. I brought mine almost couple years ago when $249 on sale was a good price. I have about ten cartridges and would love to have them all--plus the expression. If you have the room and didn't need to take it to crops, I would buy the expression. I saw an infomercial (?) for the Expression just the other day. I also love some of the great features it has that the cricut does not.

scrapmomma 10-24-2008 06:32 AM

I just ordered mine and I am so excited...I waited too long

NHolder 10-26-2008 05:51 PM

I am looking into a cricut for the club that I sponsor at school. How would the machine hold up if it has multiple users? Can we use construction paper and bulletin board paper?

We have a diecutting machine at school but only have one style of letters in multiple sizes. To order more diecuts, it cost just as much as a cricut.

simvan 10-26-2008 06:03 PM

I was at Michaels today....I live in Canada...and the Expression sells for $499.99!

Not sure if there is any place cheaper. I know they are cheaper in the US but I would like to purchase one locally in case something happens.

Karen

queeky 11-24-2008 06:25 PM

I'm glad I found this post, I have a related question and some of you have touched upon it. Original or Expression? I see myself using it primarily for card making and fonts and shapes. What is the largest both height and width each machine will cut?

I see on Black Friday Walmart will have the Expression for $199. You can buy it now + free shipping at Custom Crops for $209. Also, on Black Friday Jo-Ann will have the original for $99. I usually to subscribe to the motto, "You never regret buying the best." But I'm wondering in this case if the original will serve my needs.

Stampin' Adventurer 11-25-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queeky (Post 12170797)
I'm glad I found this post, I have a related question and some of you have touched upon it. Original or Expression? I see myself using it primarily for card making and fonts and shapes. What is the largest both height and width each machine will cut?

I see on Black Friday Walmart will have the Expression for $199. You can buy it now + free shipping at Custom Crops for $209. Also, on Black Friday Jo-Ann will have the original for $99. I usually to subscribe to the motto, "You never regret buying the best." But I'm wondering in this case if the original will serve my needs.

I think the motto is correct in this case. I've been reading over at the Cricut boards, and there are so many that originally bought the baby bug, and now own the Expression as well. If you think that you will truly use it, then get the bigger size because there are all sorts of added bells and whistles including the sizes you can cut. It's on my wish list for next year. I love my Slice, but love the thought of being able to cut large vinyl sayings for my walls with the Expression. Good luck deciding.

babydal57 11-25-2008 03:41 AM

The original will cut letters and shapes up to about 6 inches. The Expression will cut up to 12". I had the original, but subsequently bought the Expression and gave the original to my mom. I do a lot of scrapbooking and wanted the Expression for the bigger cuts for Princesses and other characters for my scrapbooks that have a lot of small details. The details get lost on the smaller sizes.

I just need to use mine more. Sometimes the hassle to get out the mats and the machine seems like too much trouble. :oops:

Badger53186 11-25-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper272001 (Post 11780580)
Hi everyone

I have a cricut and although I dont use it all that much - when I do - I LOVE IT!! My 11 year old daughter is a whiz at using it! lol

Just a question for those who do have one and have the cartridge that cuts what looks like the "top note" from SU - is it the accent essential cartridge that has this?

Cheers

Karen

Can someone tell us which cartridge this might be? TIA!!

babydal57 11-25-2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186 (Post 12172568)
Can someone tell us which cartridge this might be? TIA!!

It's Accent Essentials. :-)

pjw2855 11-25-2008 04:49 AM

babydal57.......Just aq slight correction to the sizes each machine will cut. Maximum size for the original Cricut will cut is 5.5 inches....maximum size for the Expression is 23.5 inches (obviously you would need the larger 12x24 inch mat for anything over 11.5 inches). As you said the size is actually determined by how intricate the design is whether it will cut really small. Also, the paper can have some bearing on the small cut size too.

Patti

babydal57 11-25-2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855 (Post 12172802)
babydal57.......Just aq slight correction to the sizes each machine will cut. Maximum size for the original Cricut will cut is 5.5 inches....maximum size for the Expression is 23.5 inches (obviously you would need the larger 12x24 inch mat for anything over 11.5 inches). As you said the size is actually determined by how intricate the design is whether it will cut really small. Also, the paper can have some bearing on the small cut size too.

Patti

Thanks, Patti. I knew it couldn't go the full 6 or 12 inches, but I wasn't sure exactly how much less. :)

I don't have the Cricut Design Studio yet. Can you rotate designs in that so that you can cut something tall and thin larger by using the 6x12 mat or the 12x24 mat?

Anyone?

pjw2855 11-25-2008 07:23 AM

babydal57.......I have the Design Studio. As long as it fits on the sticky mat, you can size it ANY size you want. Just use the handles on the top, bottom and sides when you highlight it.

Just to clarify......the Expression only take sticky mat sizes 12x12 or 12x24. You can't use the 6x12 mats in the Expression

The original Cricut only takes the 6x12 sticky mats.

Design Program can be used with either machine. I love it, it is so cool !!

Patti

austamper 11-25-2008 07:28 AM

I LOVE my cricut! But now I want a silhouette too! haha.

jakeandryansmom 11-26-2008 05:51 PM

I too am thinking of getting a cricut for my birthday/christmas present from DH. Can you use all the images on the Design Studio CD? or is it just samples of what you can buy with the cartridges? It also says about online updates. Do you have to pay for those?

jakeandryansmom 11-26-2008 06:05 PM

Also, Do you have to use special paper or can you use cardstock, or chipboard/cardboard? Any type of paper?

Stampin' Adventurer 11-26-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeandryansmom (Post 12195361)
Also, Do you have to use special paper or can you use cardstock, or chipboard/cardboard? Any type of paper?

From what I've read you don't need special paper and can cut thin chipboard using the Expression. You do this by having it cut over the same image more than once.

kaufeestamper 11-26-2008 08:07 PM

what sizzix letter set do you have? :)

i'm really wanting lollipop for my new big shot. or any thick cut letters for that matter. :)

scrappingmelissa 11-26-2008 08:12 PM

YeS you need one! I use mine daily..

fura 11-27-2008 12:57 AM

I owned the original and loved it, but since I used the Expressions, I'm not going back. I LOVE the fact that you have a larger variety of sizes to choose from. I was never able to use certain shapes with the original because it would be too big to put on my cardfront. I use my Expressions everyday and it's just wonderful!

stampencamper 11-27-2008 06:22 AM

Black Friday sales

Does Canada have the black friday sales, our walmart has the sale on the cricut;
even putting it on a credit card until you get your bonus, you probably would get a great deal this weekend. I don't scrap much anymore, so can't justify
the expense of the cartridges also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simvan (Post 11832190)
I was at Michaels today....I live in Canada...and the Expression sells for $499.99!

Not sure if there is any place cheaper. I know they are cheaper in the US but I would like to purchase one locally in case something happens.

Karen

queeky 11-29-2008 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the great info, ladies. I am now the proud owner of an Expression, a few cartridges and the design studio. The Pink Tuesday sale at Custom Crops was too good to pass up! Now I just have to wait 'til it gets here!

stamphappy1650 11-30-2008 05:54 AM

I finally gave in and bought an Expression and I love it. I'm not going to get rid of my BS as I can see I will want to use both. I was able to get a couple of the cartridges at Mikes on Thanksgiving and made my first project. I'm gonna love this thing - woo hoo!!

SKICIO 11-30-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHolder (Post 11832102)
I am looking into a cricut for the club that I sponsor at school. How would the machine hold up if it has multiple users? Can we use construction paper and bulletin board paper?

We have a diecutting machine at school but only have one style of letters in multiple sizes. To order more diecuts, it cost just as much as a cricut.

I have tried cutting regular construction paper with my regular Cricut, and it worked fine :)

ablack311 11-30-2008 05:51 PM

Of course you do!!!!!!! I didn't really want one and then my MIL saw the infomercial last year before Christmas and thought I would like it. so she bought it for me for christmas. I have LOVED it! I also have the SU big shot, and I love them both for different reasons. You definitely have more versatility with the cricut. Be prepared to be addicted and sucked into "collecting" cartridges if you do decide to get one :)